Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HighClassSwankyTime
Jan 16, 2004

See if you can find a 1927-D double eagle, those are kinda popular with collectors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HighClassSwankyTime
Jan 16, 2004

Arrgytehpirate posted:

This is a great thread! I think I have some old coins somewhere in the attic, and you're getting me interested in the hobby. Where did you learn what you know? Are there any good websites or books I should look into?

https://www.coinfacts.com is a really good resource. It's no longer updated but provides excellent info on rarity, mintmarks and variaties.

HighClassSwankyTime
Jan 16, 2004

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I asked my mom about this years later, and she corrected me: "no, you have a Confederate coin. It was given to you when you were born, by Ms. Baugh". My dad is from Virginia, and Ms. Baugh was my aunt's mother-in-law. She was every bit the prototypical Southern matron, rather proper but at the same time very warm and almost another grandma to me. So upon hearing this I smiled and felt lots of warm fuzzies, as she had passed by then.

A little extra information on Confederate coinage. Only two types of coins were struck with a Confederate design, a half dollar and a cent. The half dollar and cent were both struck in 1861. After the Civil War a guy named Scott made several restrikes of the half dollar with the original dies (although a different obverse was used) and a bunch of cent restrikes were made as well, in a different metal to distinguish from the originals (copper-nickel) and a whole lot more were struck after the original dies broke. The half dollar (4 pieces) and the cent (12 pieces) are almost impossible to find and rarely turn up at an auction.

Coins issued by the Confederacy do exist though, but were made using federal dies. The most famous of these is the 1861-D (Dahlonega, GA) issue of the gold dollar. These coins were all struck under Confederate authority and are extremely rare. The New Orleans double eagle ($20) of 1861 was struck by the federal government, the state of Louisiana and the Confederacy. The same goes for the regular half dollar of that year, also struck at the New Orleans mint. It's impossible tell which piece was struck at what point in time, since production spans the federal-state-confederacy period. That's all there is to say about Confederate coins.

The Confederate Half dollar. The obverse is from a federal seated liberty half dollar die.

Obverse & reverse of the Confederate cent

HighClassSwankyTime
Jan 16, 2004

RustedChrome posted:

I've never sold anything on eBay worth more than a few hundred dollars. I fear the auction and Paypal fees would be killer, not to mention how eBay can totally screw over sellers sometimes. I'll look into that Heritage site, I don't personally know any collectors who would buy this coin from me.

Do not sell your coins on eBay, PayPal fees will gobble up a lot of whatever profit you have left. Buy-it-now is even worse, since a far larger fee goes to eBay compared with a standard auction. Try to sell it locally, you may get less but with all of eBay's and PayPal fees, it's not much difference in the end. An XF-40 1794 cent is awesome as gently caress by the way!

• Locked thread