Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

i think i need to change my pants tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

my god

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So is Katy Perry considered old person music at this point? She's the last pop star I really followed.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

NikkolasKing posted:

So is Katy Perry considered old person music at this point? She's the last pop star I really followed.

She's not old person music, but I think her musical style changed in a way people didn't really care for, and she just totally lost momentum. Teenage Dream had five #1s and a #3 (plus another #1 and a #2 on the re-issue). Then Prism was promoted as a darker album and then didn't really deliver that which left it confused, and frankly the actual song quality wasn't great either (two #1s and nothing else broke the top 10). Dark Horse (apparently her biggest single ever) was overpromoted and wasn't really representative of the whole thing which didn't help. Then she disappeared for a while and came back with Witness, which was just kind of a disaster. She promoted it very weirdly (72 hour live stream including a therapy session???), changed her look (which she should be free to do, but you can't deny her appearance was a key part of her branding), and also the songs weren't particularly good or what people wanted by 2017.

She had a basically unsustainable level of success then lost momentum harder than anyone could have predicted, with a mixture of dodgy branding decisions and music that wasn't really as good.

For what it's worth, her new stuff is pretty good and you should stream Daisies.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Katy Perry seems to have reached an appropriate level of success for a pop star who doesn't have quite the level of creative talent as someone like Lady Gaga, or the sheer vocal talent of someone like Christina Aguilera. I'm not trying to be mean, but she was more about the image and the hooks, and most people can't sustain that forever.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

yes

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Can you really call Katy Perry washed up when you consider that she is the only celebrity to be the focus of not one, but two Sims expansions?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

exquisite tea posted:

Can you really call Katy Perry washed up when you consider that she is the only celebrity to be the focus of not one, but two Sims expansions?

rly makes you think

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
The sims is washed up :cool:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I wasn't trying to insult Katy and say she's "washed up." I was more talking about how I'm totally out of touch because she's the last pop star I know anything about and she broke into the scene over ten years ago now. That's ancient history as far as these things go.

But I am nothing if not a nostalgic person so I'll always enjoy her. I just wondered if younger people even listened to her anymore or if they got new megastars to clamber over.

Deformed Church posted:

She's not old person music, but I think her musical style changed in a way people didn't really care for, and she just totally lost momentum. Teenage Dream had five #1s and a #3 (plus another #1 and a #2 on the re-issue). Then Prism was promoted as a darker album and then didn't really deliver that which left it confused, and frankly the actual song quality wasn't great either (two #1s and nothing else broke the top 10). Dark Horse (apparently her biggest single ever) was overpromoted and wasn't really representative of the whole thing which didn't help. Then she disappeared for a while and came back with Witness, which was just kind of a disaster. She promoted it very weirdly (72 hour live stream including a therapy session???), changed her look (which she should be free to do, but you can't deny her appearance was a key part of her branding), and also the songs weren't particularly good or what people wanted by 2017.

She had a basically unsustainable level of success then lost momentum harder than anyone could have predicted, with a mixture of dodgy branding decisions and music that wasn't really as good.

For what it's worth, her new stuff is pretty good and you should stream Daisies.

I'll be sure to do that, thanks.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 18, 2020

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

What are the chances she's writing songs about her baby now?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

NikkolasKing posted:

So I wasn't trying to insult Katy and say she's "washed up." I was more talking about how I'm totally out of touch because she's the last pop star I know anything about and she broke into the scene over ten years ago now. That's ancient history as far as these things go.

But I am nothing if not a nostalgic person so I'll always enjoy her. I just wondered if younger people even listened to her anymore or if they got new megastars to clamber over.

I'll be sure to do that, thanks.

Daisies is fine but Never Really Over is probably the best thing she's released since Teenage Dream

Katy has never had a unique sound and has always had to chase trends a little more than other stars from her same era (Gaga, Bey, etc), plus I don't think her fanbase is on the same level of devotion as a lot of the really massive fanbases.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

NikkolasKing posted:

Get into Carly Rae Jepsen from EMOTION onwards and you'll be caught up and ready for the new scene.

Alternatively Charli XCX or Lorde

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Teenage Dream was pretty much the perfect album at the perfect time and its success was too big for anyone to follow IMO.

I mean, 5 #1s and they left Hummingbird Heartbeat on the table.

The problem was they launched straight into Prism and it was totally different so it threw people off. If they’d chilled out for a while after the extended edition of Teenage Dream, I think it would’ve been better received but the label got greedy.

Birthday is a bop though.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

Teenage Dream was pretty much the perfect album at the perfect time and its success was too big for anyone to follow IMO.

I mean, 5 #1s and they left Hummingbird Heartbeat on the table.

The problem was they launched straight into Prism and it was totally different so it threw people off. If they’d chilled out for a while after the extended edition of Teenage Dream, I think it would’ve been better received but the label got greedy.

Birthday is a bop though.

Maybe it's because I never listened to any of her stuff when it was brand new but I've loved all her work. Teenage Dream was absolutely the best, though.

It's interesting to see how the reception of "I Kissed A Girl" has changed, though. I thought it be sorta problematic as some people were calling it that even ten years ago. But it looks like a lot of LGBTQ folks still love it. I mean, it's not really that surprising. LGBT kids love pop music as much as anyone else and the kids of yesterday who grew up with Katy have two reasons to have a special attachment to that song.

Also t.A.T.u. has been forgotten but I'll never forget how I first heard one of their songs long before I had any clue who they were because it was Victoria's theme in the WWE.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4zrvpOM_50

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I really dig this song, which was apparently a song for their greatest hits album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d7lVIyiZcQ

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

t.A.T.u.'s music owns fite me

All of their albums are great. English language versions are inferior tho

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Oh yeah, I still love t.A.T.u. as well.

Outer Space being my favorite song of theirs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI8Ivl60cvQ

I'm just not sure what their legacy will be or if younger people even know of them.drat shame if not.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Haven’t seen anybody post about the new HAIM album (unless they belong in a different thread), but my initial feeling is it’s not as immediately accessible as the previous two, and I really don’t like how every track has what feels like three layers of vocal processing going on. Hopefully new listens will allow some of these subtleties to open up.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I’m not a big fan of the new HAIM

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I had HAIM pegged as "Indie Pop" but it doesn't really matter

I like it a lot. It's the ideal 3rd album, taking elements of the excellent 1st album and combining that with what they were trying to do on the 2nd but didn't really nail down. And the subject matter is a lot more compelling than just various love/breakup songs, which there was nothing wrong with, but it's hard to sustain a whole career on that.

I'm not the biggest fan of the whole intentional distortion thing going on with some of the tracks, but that's largely a personal preference, and it's balanced out with cleaner electronic sounds that I was missing on the 2nd album.

It is possible that the best songs were already released as singles: "The Steps" and "Summer Girl". But "3 AM" is definitely making a case for itself. I'm a sucker for that '90s R&B throwback stuff.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Yeah, I'm a little disappointed. It feels overproduced? Not like in a cool PC Music way but just everything kind of jumbles together and gets lost in the mush.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

https://youtu.be/ioNng23DkIM
whewwww. Another visual masterpiece! Song ain’t too bad either.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Even putting aside my bias against BP, putting aside the fact it's a pre-release single ... this song is super underwhelming. Especially considering how long it's been since their last comeback.

Can't argue with the visuals tho.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

how long it’s been? The Kill This Love EP came out last year.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Paperback Writer posted:

how long it’s been? The Kill This Love EP came out last year.

Kill This Love was April 2019, so it's been a good fourteen months or so.

e: which is weird, but not by YG standards tbf. YG is trash

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

esperterra posted:

Kill This Love was April 2019, so it's been a good fourteen months or so.

e: which is weird, but not by YG standards tbf. YG is trash
I think whoever’s in charge of their music and visuals are geniuses. And I really love each of the girls. Sucks to hear their label is lovely though.

which group is your favorite?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Paperback Writer posted:

I think whoever’s in charge of their music and visuals are geniuses. Sucks to hear their label is lovely though.

which group is your favorite?

I'm an old, so Wonder Girls/2NE1/SNSD/Sistar still reign supreme for me. Of newer groups, MAMAMOO is basically the perfect encapsulation of all the things that made the former 4 groups stand out and are definitely my favourite of the currently promoting groups. I mostly follow solo stuff from 2nd gen groups these days, tho-- all of the former Wonder Girls still doing music are some of the best soloists around, and are all heavily involved in the production and writing of their music-- and other people's, in the case of Yubin (who just opened her own entertainment company. queen.) and Yeeun.

And of course there's BoA. Forever BoA, who somehow just keeps getting better and better. That woman is a one of a kind talent, and I'm always shook when I think about how this is the year of her 20th anniversary in the business, and she's only 33.

Oh My Girl!, GWSN and April are all really good, too. But MAMAMOO and their members are the only ones really up there with the 1st/2nd gen to me right now.

anyway this is as good an excuse as any to mention that the REBOOT/Why So Lonely era of Wonder Girls is some of the best pop music of all time. REBOOT is a beyond phenomenal album. All of WG is some of the best pop music around, but that era when Sunmi came back is extra special.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Song is not that good. I do not "like that"

they need new producers/songwriters

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Song is not that good. I do not "like that"

Coincidentally YG did put out a job posting for new producers this year lmbo

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

The REAL Goobusters posted:

ok what. Is this just weird K-pop fandom stuff showing up? I’m so confused. I’m not even a huge pop fan but am in love with their music and the technical side of it. Especially live, wow the live band was good.

DDU DDU DDU, Kill This Love, Boombiyah, Playing With Fire, Forever Young, Really, and Whistle are all loving amaaazingly written.

Ok I’ll stop looking like a goober now.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Most of the other companies switch up composers/producers quite frequently, four years of (broadly similar) Teddy songs is bound to fatigue even some people who liked them originally

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Paperback Writer posted:

ok what. Is this just weird K-pop fandom stuff showing up? I’m so confused. I’m not even a huge pop fan but am in love with their music and the technical side of it. Especially live, wow the live band was good.

DDU DDU DDU, Kill This Love, Boombiyah, Playing With Fire, Forever Young, Really, and Whistle are all loving amaaazingly written.

For me, YG felt more impressive back in the 2nd gen (though it hasn't changed much). But to endlessly compare BP to 2NE1 like the filthy stan I am, music they were doing in 2010 still feels more fresh and interesting to me than anything BP has put out. And live? Nothing has come close to the power 2NE1 had live. CL alone has more live talent and charisma on stage than most people in her little finger.

YG to me feels like they've evolved the least of the big 3 as time goes on, idk.

That said I don't think Blackpink is awful. I've just never understood just how huge they are lmao beyond having top tier visuals.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 26, 2020

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Paperback Writer posted:

let me explain and clarify. The sounds they are doing when they started were clear that they were trying to reach a western audience. The heavy emphasis on rap and edm has always been there. And yes the live band is good (but its the in house YG band, they performed with 2ne1, g dragon/bigbang, etc)

Kill This Love last year was the first time I thought they weren't really progressing with their sound. DDU-Du is probably their peak if I'm going to be honest. If we're talking singles, Kill This Love felt like it was specifically made not just for the US, but also for Coachella. I'm really into their sound, but I just wish they can evolve it a bit more.

With this song, idk it feels like another retread. They bring back the Look at me / Look at you part from Kill This Love (and honestly its probably from this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6ZfA5QZDHY)

The whole badda bing part, the look at the sky its a bird/its a plane is hilariously cringe. Its not as strong as their previous releases for me. Teddy (their main producer/writer) I think is trying to recreate the success of DDu-du again here, I kinda miss when they were doing different sounds like the whole reggeaton/italo disco "as if its your last"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Amq-qlqbjYA

Anyway thats what I think about it. I'll probably warm up to the single a lot more after giving it more listens but these are my initial impressions on it for today

Llamadeus posted:

Most of the other companies switch up composers/producers quite frequently, four years of (broadly similar) Teddy songs is bound to fatigue even some people who liked them originally

Yup, its time for someone else to get in the room and bring some fresh ideas

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

always love an excuse to post this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phGur4M9ics

e: god i'm so happy she's finally free of YG

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg8dWCk7xto

Anyway Rose's voice is what keeps bringing me back to blackpink anyway since it sounds unique and cool. At least this blackpink song is better than Twice's comeback this year

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The more I think about it, the more I'm sure what feels off to me about Blackpink is I don't think, as a group, they fully fit the YG mold. Jennie/Lisa (they both rap rite?) are nowhere near as good a rapper as CL, and none of their voices have the more soulful, westernized kind of sound of Bom, Minzy or even CL herself. I just want to see something different out of Blackpink, I guess.

I would also like a solo album of just Rose and her guitar tbh.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Thanks for the replies guys I can understand where you’re coming from. I guess for me this new one definitely tries to follow the DDU DDU DU/Kill This Love formula, and doesn’t quite get there. My favorite parts tend to be the Lisa rap breakdowns, and this one delivered.

And yeah I’ve been going to Coachella every year for the past decade and have to say their show made last year’s fest for me and is up there in my top 10.

esperterra posted:

always love an excuse to post this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phGur4M9ics

e: god i'm so happy she's finally free of YG
I like it I’ll check them out.

Paperback Writer fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jun 27, 2020

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

All that said, Sour Candy owns so maybe they just need to work exclusively with Lady Gaga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

esperterra posted:

All that said, Sour Candy owns so maybe they just need to work exclusively with Lady Gaga.

my hot take is that How You Like That is much better than Sour Candy. I wanted them to go all out with Lady Gaga like a rain on me style track but crazier. it is what it is