Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

I've had this on repeat all day.

They did a live performance on twitchgaming earlier

https://twitter.com/summergamefest/status/1285233634505449472?s=20

and also announced a vinyl version of it for preorder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

This way too good for something made to promote a new game. Then again it's the new game from the people who made Octodad.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/taylorswift13/status/1286270136006184960?s=21

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Yes!!! Bon Iver

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 23, 2020

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

If the music can deliver on the aesthetic's promises then hooooly shitballs this is exactly what I didn't know I wanted or needed. Tomorrow can't come fast enough!!!

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

lmao loving Queen energy since Kanye is allegedly dropping an album tomorrow too

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Oh even better

quote:

The National’s Aaron Dessner co-wrote or produced 11 tracks, and Bon Iver co-wrote and sings on one; the National’s Bryce Dessner also penned orchestration on the LP, according to the band’s Twitter account. Other collaborators include Jack Antonoff and William Bower.

That is some drat good producers/collaborators

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Oh even better

Holy poo poo... Now I'm really excited

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Does this mark her transition to folk-pop, leading to her eventual return to country?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh even better

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/taylorswift13/status/1286273092726267905?s=20

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

gandlethorpe posted:

Does this mark her transition to folk-pop, leading to her eventual return to country?

god why would you want to go back to country music right now if you're a woman? It feels like every young female country singer tries to get a pop crossover or go the indie-folk route to avoid dealing with all of the garbage in country music right now unless you're one of the legends. Obviously Taylor wouldn't have to deal with most of it because she's massive and has gently caress-you money but I can see her taking the Kacey Musgraves/The Chicks route and making country inflected music with her pop influences but staying away from the country music establishment.

alternately she could go full-on Sad Girl Music and make an album with like, Snail Mail or Soccer Mommy or the boygenius ladies. I would drop some real money to go to a Swift concert if she made an album like that.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Taylor Swift - Cardigan premiers

https://youtu.be/K-a8s8OLBSE

Edit: Album is up on her youtube link above

4 songs in and this is just incredible. I am so freaking happy.

Bon Iver is AMAZING in this

Album is explicit

Folklore is some of the greatest songs she has ever written full stop

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jul 24, 2020

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Double post

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I'm very impressed at how Bon Iver that song with Bon Iver sounds.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/aaron_dessner/status/1286520549263454208?s=20

Mad Woman is about Kanye

quote:

What did you think I'd say to that?
Does a scorpion sting when fighting back?
They strike to kill and you know I will
You know I will

What do you sing on your drive home?
Do you see my face in the neighbor's lawn?
Does she smile, or does she mouth, "gently caress you forever"?

[Pre-Chorus]
Every time you call me crazy, I get more crazy
What about that?
And when you say I seem angry, I get more angry

[Chorus]
And there's nothing like a mad woman
What a shame she went mad
No one likes a mad woman
You made her like that
And you'll poke that bear 'til the claws come out
And you find something to wrap your noose around

[Verse 2]
Now I breathe flames each time I talk
My cannons all firin' at your yacht
They say move on but you know I won't

And women like hunting witches too
Doing your dirtiest work for you
It's obvious that wanting me dead has really brought you two together

[Pre-Chorus]
Every time you call me crazy, I get more crazy
What about that?
And when you say I seem angry, I get more angry

[Chorus]
What a shame she went mad
No one likes a mad woman
You made her like that
And you'll poke that bear 'til the claws come out
And you find something to wrap your noose around

[Bridge]
I'm taking my time, taking my time
'Cause you took everything from me
Watching you climb, watching you climb
Over people like me

The master of spin has a couple side flings
Good wives always know
She should be mad, should be scathing like me, but

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jul 24, 2020

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I think it's actually about Scooter Braun

edit: the writing on this album is good enough that I don't mind the traditional Taylor Swift Song Pattern (and she actually doesn't use it a couple times), plus the whole sound of it is really appealing.

edit: also I feel like Taylor is writing more songs that aren't explicitly about her or her life so maybe someday the "who is this Swift song about" game will fade away (although I'm not gonna lie I wondered who those first couple of songs were about because it definitely *wasn't* Joe Alwyn.)

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jul 24, 2020

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

She said that this album features characters from her imagination

https://twitter.com/blessedswifty/status/1286513863429484549?s=20

First listen through and this album has best instrumentation she has ever had on an album

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jul 24, 2020

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Folklore is Taylor Swift’s best album and it’s not even close. She really made her best album in 4 MONTHS.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Shneak posted:

Folklore is Taylor Swift’s best album and it’s not even close. She really made her best album in 4 MONTHS.

I don't want to say this so soon because I really love Speak Now/Red/1989 and can go back and listen to them still to this day, I would like to see if this holds up beyond a first listen but it's really really good on first listen, probably the strongest front to back, although there aren't any songs that totally steal my heart like, say, Style.

Best songs are Mirrorball, Betty, the Bon Iver song and My Tears Ricochet.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Shneak posted:

Yup, I am blown away

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

this song made me listen to 1989 which made me finally take her seriously

wildest dreams tho :discourse:

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
I really dig this album.

the last great american dynasty and exile really jumped out to me on first listen (also, gosh, my tears ricochet)

The back half didn't make as much of an impact on me, but I'm blaming that on my sleep deprivation. (mad woman and betty are exceptions, also illicit affairs and august and you know what nevermind)

hoax is a very interesting closer, especially when you consider how Lover ended on Daylight.

kurona_bright fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jul 24, 2020

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Speak Now has been my favorite album of hers for a very long time and while there are more low points on that album than this one (Innocent is yikes, Dear John is so long and Better than Revenge is arguably the first "Taylor Swift Cannot Let Things Go" song) the high points are so high. Enchanted is my favorite Swift song and Long Live, Sparks Fly, Mine, Mean, and Speak Now would probably all be in competition for the top 10. Plus every song is credited solely to her, which I think lends the album a cohesiveness that Red and 1989 don't quite have.

edit: that said, the fact that there really aren't any skips on folklore mean that it's an album I could put on and listen to all the way through, rather than just hit the hits, which is what I usually do when I'm in a TS mood

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

DC Murderverse posted:

I don't want to say this so soon because I really love Speak Now/Red/1989 and can go back and listen to them still to this day, I would like to see if this holds up beyond a first listen but it's really really good on first listen, probably the strongest front to back, although there aren't any songs that totally steal my heart like, say, Style.

Best songs are Mirrorball, Betty, the Bon Iver song and My Tears Ricochet.

That's true. Red is my favourite and it has a lot of standouts. Exile so far the song that needs to be a single. But overall this album is so cohesive, sonically beautifully and genuinely well written. It makes Lover sound like Kidz Bop.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Shneak posted:

That's true. Red is my favourite and it has a lot of standouts. Exile so far the song that needs to be a single. But overall this album is so cohesive, sonically beautifully and genuinely well written. It makes Lover sound like Kidz Bop.

oh yeah it's definitely better than Lover, which I kinda listened to a few times and then I stopped caring about even the good songs off that album except Soon You'll Get Better which is like concentrated "Make-you-sob" and It's Nice To Have A Friend which are the two that sound most like this album, so lets just take them and put them on folklore, then put the other standouts from Lover and Reputation on a little LP and sink all the bad poo poo from those eras into the ocean. Goodbye "Old Taylor is Dead" and "Hey Kids, Spelling Is Fun" and This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things, see you in hell.

edit: if you would like a palate cleanser after that very moody TS album, Jessie Ware released a video/single cut of What's Your Pleasure which is an absolutely killer track off her very wonderful album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWazsCKdlhg

edit: also I know everyone is oohing and ahhhing about Taylor Swift saying the gently caress word in her songs now but despite everyone's best wishes I'm pretty sure the lyric in Mad Woman is not "or does she mouthfuck you forever"

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 24, 2020

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

oh yeah it's definitely better than Lover, which I kinda listened to a few times and then I stopped caring about even the good songs off that album except Soon You'll Get Better which is like concentrated "Make-you-sob" and It's Nice To Have A Friend which are the two that sound most like this album, so lets just take them and put them on folklore, then put the other standouts from Lover and Reputation on a little LP and sink all the bad poo poo from those eras into the ocean. Goodbye "Old Taylor is Dead" and "Hey Kids, Spelling Is Fun" and This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things, see you in hell.

edit: if you would like a palate cleanser after that very moody TS album, Jessie Ware released a video/single cut of What's Your Pleasure which is an absolutely killer track off her very wonderful album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWazsCKdlhg

edit: also I know everyone is oohing and ahhhing about Taylor Swift saying the gently caress word in her songs now but despite everyone's best wishes I'm pretty sure the lyric in Mad Woman is not "or does she mouthfuck you forever"

Its

Does she mouth "gently caress you forever" (from lyric video)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Its

Does she mouth "gently caress you forever" (from lyric video)

yeah, the lyric video makes that very clear

edit: she's "mature" not "basically Lil Kim"

edit2: it's sort of funny that Taylor's writing songs making fun of old money people when she made a big ol' sloppy love song about the Kennedys on Red.

edit3: I can actually picture Seven (with very different production) on Lover, I dunno if I can say that about any of the others though

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jul 24, 2020

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
this is a good album but probably not one I’ll listen to a lot. like it’s not really what I want from Taylor but it’s still obviously very good

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I can actually imagine this becoming an album that I listen to as I'm falling asleep, which doesn't really sound like a complement but those albums have to be all good (so I don't want to skip anything) and very calm or dreamy. For Emma is one of those albums for me, as well as most Beach House and Chromatics music, I dunno if this would actually work for that but the instrumentals all fit into that mold.

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

Really like the album, still not sure what my fave song is, gonna take a few listens to figure it out

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Betty was the standout from my first impression, for the throwback sound as much as anything else, but the whole thing is really good and I'm sure I'll get some more picks from another couple of listens.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Cardigan really does sound like a National song haha

Solomon Gumball
Jul 24, 2019
Kylie's terrible country phase lasted only an album and she's back in with an album called Disco on Nov. 6, first single:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRzwD2LLXSI

Solomon Gumball fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 24, 2020

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Betty was my favorite song in first listen, but it also reminded me a lot of Hold You Now from Father of the Bride.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Kylie's terrible country phase is actually very good.

Also I'm really liking The Last Great American Dynasty.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I didn’t even know she had a country phase. Guess ill dig that up after I listen to Tay after work.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I can’t even find a song on folklore I don’t like, which is weird.

The last great American dynasty is fantastic

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

third listen, I've changed my mind. I'd still really like an album where Taylor makes music with someone like Phoebe Bridgers or Snail Mail but honestly August makes me want a full-on Taylor Swift shoe gaze album. I'm a big fan of that jangly guitar sound with lots of echo and her voice fits it very well, even as distinct as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

New Billie song coming out Thursday July 30th