Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

Benne posted:

Having just heard the new Psy song, I don't think lightning is going to strike twice here.

I just heard it then and I think I can safely say "myth busted". Can't get enough of this amazing new track from the master maestro of music himself, Psy. Lightning might not be able to strike twice, but light-psy-ning certainly can!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sprat Sandwich posted:

I think he is the worst an artist can be - dull. The only thing I can remember is his gratuitous use of mascara? So yeah, Cardle seems to be the one to compare him to (except the mascara, of course).

It's a problematic mentality that mistakes "dull" for "serious artist" but it still crops up from time to time.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

It's a problematic mentality that mistakes "dull" for "serious artist" but it still crops up from time to time.

Sorry if I am misunderstanding what you're saying, but I didn't mean that a serious artist is a dull artist. Maybe dull wasn't the right word for him.

Or did you mean that his idea of a serious artist is being monotone and throwing in a forgettable rap?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I think he means people have mistaken James Arthur for a serious artist, when he is in fact just a dull one. I think he'll do a bit better than Matt Cardle but I don't really see him being all that popular for very long. He fancies himself a songwriter as well but I bet his songs are terrible

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Paperhouse posted:

I think he means people have mistaken James Arthur for a serious artist, when he is in fact just a dull one. I think he'll do a bit better than Matt Cardle but I don't really see him being all that popular for very long. He fancies himself a songwriter as well but I bet his songs are terrible

This is more or less what I mean. My opinion is rather difficult to sum up in words; I suspect I'm probably biased, to some extent, because I tend to hold their vaguely alternative sort-of rock-ish genre in fairly low esteem. I'll have to think about it and see if I can explain myself more eloquently.

Timid
Dec 13, 2012

Anyone hear that new single Avril Lavigne put out? It's called 'Never growing up' or something.

I just listened to it, and it's really not that bad. All of Lavigne's songs are pretty satisfactory though.

Any thoughts about it, or about her?

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Metal Loaf posted:

On a recent visit to PopJustice, I was accosted by an article about a new boy band called Union J, who were apparently the One Direction of last year's series of The X Factor, except there are only four of them and I think one of them is gay.

I wonder what their prospects are. I'm pretty sure their single will be a hit here in the UK, but will the residual hype surrounding One Direction carry them to similar success across the water, or will they end up like the Wanted and fail to live up to their early Transatlantic promise?
They just debuted their first single, Carry You:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNCfM-MvH0c

It's safe, derivative and repetitive, but I don't really hate it either.

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?

Blodskur posted:

Nike just dropped a free Ellie Goulding Halcyon Remix album mix here for those who like to run...or enjoy remixes. Only You remix is incredible.

01 (Intro) My Blood (Kastle Remix)
02 Anything Could Happen (Birdy Nam Nam Remix)
03 My Blood (Kastle Remix)
04 Dead in the Water (Drop Lamond Remix)
05 Hanging On (Ahadadream Remix)
06 Without Your Love (Amtrac Remix)
07 Figure 8 (Toyboy & Robin Remix)
08 Don’t Say a Word (Star Slinger Remix)
09 Only You (Special Features Remix)
10 Explosions (Stay Positive Remix)
11 Atlantis (Everything Everything Remix)

12 Halcyon (FTSE Remix)

Thanks for the track listing :) I didn't think anyone could make the bolded songs actually good, but drat, they are now!

I saw La Roux this past weekend at Coachella. Absolutely incredible. I'm so so looking forward to their new album. Gonna be so fuckin hype!

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Timid posted:

Anyone hear that new single Avril Lavigne put out? It's called 'Never growing up' or something.

I just listened to it, and it's really not that bad. All of Lavigne's songs are pretty satisfactory though.

Any thoughts about it, or about her?

The way she pronounces "boom box" in that song is crazy.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Another new boy band has entered the arena:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8NH_R8AnkE

I call dibs on the one in the bow tie.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Well, I suppose with JLS splitting at the end of their next tour there's space for a new one.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Biggest human being Ever posted:

The way she pronounces "boom box" in that song is crazy.
I just noticed that too. She pronounces it like Dexter from Dexter's Laboratory would. "Büüm box."

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

STAND UP AND TURN YOUR SPEAKERS TO MAX BECAUSE PET SHOP BOYS HAVE A NEW SONG OUT AND IT'S NOT "REFLECTIVE" NOR "MOODY" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDCU17wXktY

The albums out on July 15th. God Bless.

Oh and Annie also released a new song but it's kinda poo poo sadly but whatever, the rest will be great.

pug wearing a hat
May 29, 2012

please allow me to introduce myself i'm a man of wealth and taste
I saw Pet Shop Boys and Annie and hoped that my dream collaboration had come true. Someday.....

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Sprat Sandwich posted:

STAND UP AND TURN YOUR SPEAKERS TO MAX BECAUSE PET SHOP BOYS HAVE A NEW SONG OUT AND IT'S NOT "REFLECTIVE" NOR "MOODY" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDCU17wXktY

The albums out on July 15th. God Bless.

Oh and Annie also released a new song but it's kinda poo poo sadly but whatever, the rest will be great.

Axis is awesome! I was definately not expecting an instrumental as a first single, but with them being on their own label now I guess they've decided to do whatever the gently caress they want. Good for them!

Christmas Jones
Apr 12, 2007

nuklear fizzicist

DominoDancing posted:

Axis is awesome! I was definately not expecting an instrumental as a first single, but with them being on their own label now I guess they've decided to do whatever the gently caress they want. Good for them!

I'm so disappointed they're not coming anywhere near me on the North American tour. They're my favorite group I've never had a chance to see live.

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Little Boots' sophomore album, Nocturnes, is now streaming on Pitchfork

And it's really really loving awesome. So disco.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It may have been mentioned in the thread earlier, but Macklemore's "Can't Hold Us" is loving incredible and a huge improvement over "Thrift Shop".

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Christmas Jones posted:

I'm so disappointed they're not coming anywhere near me on the North American tour. They're my favorite group I've never had a chance to see live.

Considering Neil is really not a good live singer, they put a lot of effort into their shows, and it pays off. I've seen them twice, once on the Cubism tour and once on the Pandemonium tour, and I had a lot of fun. The crowd skews a bit older though, obviously a lot of people go to see them for their 80s and 90s hits.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Benne posted:

It may have been mentioned in the thread earlier, but Macklemore's "Can't Hold Us" is loving incredible and a huge improvement over "Thrift Shop".

It certainly took off pretty quickly. Certainly a lot faster than "Some Nights" did for fun. after "We Are Young" was a hit.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Yeah, the album is pretty great and I can see 'Crescendo' and especially 'Satellite' being my summer tunes.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
I'm kinda surprised that Headphones isn't on the record, I liked it as much as I like anything on Nocturnes (though it's arguably higher energy than anything else on the album, maybe it's just that it didn't fit thematically?)

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

I first heard of Little Boots because a goon had her as an avatar. Does anyone remember who that was?

I am now listening to Nocturnes and liking it. Maybe not as much as Hands, but it will need time to grow on me perhaps. It is maybe a bit too disco at times.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember seeing her on an episode of Later... With Jools Holland three, maybe four years ago. I was a bit surprised that she seemed to have just vanished after that.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

het posted:

I'm kinda surprised that Headphones isn't on the record, I liked it as much as I like anything on Nocturnes (though it's arguably higher energy than anything else on the album, maybe it's just that it didn't fit thematically?)

Yeah, it's kinda weird - it's not THAT different to be left off the album. Maybe she just didn't like it.

Metal Loaf posted:

I remember seeing her on an episode of Later... With Jools Holland three, maybe four years ago. I was a bit surprised that she seemed to have just vanished after that.

She had some weird problems with her label, IIRC, plus the usual second album fuckery. She even won the 2009 BBC Sound of thing, but I guess that doesn't really mean much.

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

het posted:

I wish Headphones had made the cut instead of Strangers. Strangers is the only song I don't like on Nocturnes :|

And oh my god, I'm seeing LB tonight. SO HYPED.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
"Can't Hold Us" hits No. 1. Macklemore is the first artist to take his first two singles to the top since Lady GaGa.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/1560817/macklemore-ryan-lewis-cant-hold-us-tops-hot-100?utm_source=twitter

I can't say I saw this coming 8 months ago but it's pretty cool.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Not sure if this is the right place for this but does anyone listen to Knower (aka Louis Cole and Genevieve Artadi)? They're a kind of indie pop group that's hard to describe. They recently put out a new album at the end of last month, and though I don't think it's as good as some of their previous stuff, there are some good tracks. Here's their video for Time Traveler off the new album.

http://youtu.be/itRWssMSuvw

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Benne posted:

"Can't Hold Us" hits No. 1. Macklemore is the first artist to take his first two singles to the top since Lady GaGa.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/1560817/macklemore-ryan-lewis-cant-hold-us-tops-hot-100?utm_source=twitter

I can't say I saw this coming 8 months ago but it's pretty cool.

Is "Same Love" charting? That would be awesome, and also a Lady Gaga-esque achievement of getting a popular song that explicitly addresses gay rights. I haven't heard "Can't Hold Us" much, since it only plays on the the top 40s station that I don't tune to much. "Thrift Shop" and "Same Love" play on the alternative rock station, of all things.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

The Wanted just released the music video for its new single Walks Like Rihanna. The song is adorable and so is the video, which also features homages to classic boyband videos from 'N Sync, BSB and Take That.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OGyHRKMPOE

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

gandlethorpe posted:

Is "Same Love" charting? That would be awesome, and also a Lady Gaga-esque achievement of getting a popular song that explicitly addresses gay rights. I haven't heard "Can't Hold Us" much, since it only plays on the the top 40s station that I don't tune to much. "Thrift Shop" and "Same Love" play on the alternative rock station, of all things.

It's presently at #83 on the Hot 100, which is its peak so far, but it's only being promoted to alternative radio. It could be a contender for the Top 40 if its sales pick up but it's not going to take off without serious support from CHR.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Just listened to this Tove Lo song like 10 times in a row

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG-EIvEiSHs

it's so good :swoon:

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Love some Swedish crydance.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Paperhouse posted:

Just listened to this Tove Lo song like 10 times in a row

it's so good :swoon:

That was unsettling. If you're gonna sing about wanting to die, you need to have electric guitars. It's the law.

Reminded me of this summer hit from across the sea, thematically:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC-ugh6n6Bg

(although it's in Finnish, so tough luck...)

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Ellie's done a cover of Alt-J's Tessellate; produced by Xaphoon Jones here.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Kylie Minogue released her new song Skirt yesterday. It is pretty awesome, she's getting ready to snatch those weaves.

https://soundcloud.com/nomdestrip/skirt

Mannie Fresh
Jul 2, 2006
Miley Cyrus x We Can't Stop (Produced by Mike WiLL Made It)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km3wOjaRyE4

I can't stop playing this. However, this song is begging for a Future guest spot, but I digress.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFasFq4GJYM

Heard this for the first time on my local alternative station on my way to work. Listened to it over and over at work. Heard it again on the same station at lunch, and I'm sure I'll hear it again driving home. With the way indie/alternative acts have been blowing up lately, I wouldn't be surprised if this song gets huge in the US.

Girl is talented, only 16, and already hit #1 in her native New Zealand.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I saw Charli XCX live the other day - and she was fantastic. She even finished her set with A Cover of "I Want it That Way . She's playing really small venues for like $12, so if she's coming near you, go for it, have a bunch of drinks, and have fun :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

gandlethorpe posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFasFq4GJYM

Heard this for the first time on my local alternative station on my way to work. Listened to it over and over at work. Heard it again on the same station at lunch, and I'm sure I'll hear it again driving home. With the way indie/alternative acts have been blowing up lately, I wouldn't be surprised if this song gets huge in the US.

Girl is talented, only 16, and already hit #1 in her native New Zealand.
It's not bad, but I sort of wonder how much traction that theme will have with the target audience in the US? It kinda sounds less like a major pop song and more like something someone my age or older would point out as an exception to pop star excess.