Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«90 »
Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

Super unimpressed by Charli XCX's opening setlist on the T-Swizzle tour: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/char...z-6bedaa6e.html

It's an opening slot, be brave with the PC Music bangers and don't play all your normie tunes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007
"If you put a hamburger in the toaster it'll say Happy Birthday."

Anonymous John posted:

Super unimpressed by Charli XCX's opening setlist on the T-Swizzle tour: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/char...z-6bedaa6e.html

It's an opening slot, be brave with the PC Music bangers and don't play all your normie tunes.

I was hoping for more Pop 2

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I wonder if Grimes will pull a Taylor Swift and write a song about Elon Musk.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007
"If you put a hamburger in the toaster it'll say Happy Birthday."

really digging the new Chvrches single, Miracles.

https://youtu.be/e1YqueG2gtQ

Girls is now out

https://youtu.be/mdWcaWBxxcY

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at May 11, 2018 around 14:28

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Golden Hour, Rainbow and Joanne make for a really cool triptych of country/rock-infused pop music and i feel like the three artists (Kacey Musgraves, Kesha and Gaga) should totally tour together.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

My Queen just delivered a new arrangement for "You raise me up". <3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te_L9ofhUt8

So glad to see her still singing after all those health problems.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Oh man it's so good.

exquisite tea posted:

Sigrid is really cool and I think most of this thread would like her stuff. Plot Twist is my fave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNuCNZK-r5A

Sigrid is all over my playlist on my phone . Plot Twist is a super cool song. I just can't help but feel really upbeat when her music is playing. It's my ultimate feel good singer right now.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Glad to see someone else enjoying Girls. Seen so much hate for this track online. People seem to think it's biphobic which as a bi guy, I am not really noticing? Getting drunk and kissing a member of the same sex is absolutely a valid part of the bisexual experience. It took me a long time to come to terms with the fact that my feelings for men were romantic as well as sexual. I'm not saying there aren't issues with it but the backlash it's received feels so extreme. I think it's a good, fun song.

Automatonic Water
Jul 8, 2012

nomapple posted:

Glad to see someone else enjoying Girls. Seen so much hate for this track online. People seem to think it's biphobic which as a bi guy, I am not really noticing? Getting drunk and kissing a member of the same sex is absolutely a valid part of the bisexual experience. It took me a long time to come to terms with the fact that my feelings for men were romantic as well as sexual. I'm not saying there aren't issues with it but the backlash it's received feels so extreme. I think it's a good, fun song.

it's the lesbians angry about this that are being biphobic "ew straight girls think they can do what we do" like lmao have you even considered the possibility that we never were straight

this year has been a good year for songs explicitly about gay sex and they're not going away regardless of how pissed off anyone gets about it

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

nomapple posted:

As a bi woman who used to present as a bi man, the two experiences have been so wildly divergent that it can be hard for me to reconcile them. The society-driving hetero male gaze obviously falls on women (queer or straight) in a radically different manner than it does men, and while not every woman is going to respond to it in the same way, it's easy for me to see how a woman might listen to Girls and think it reeks of the ever-present fetishization that can be so tiresome to deal with.

In my case, the chorus is true enough to my own lived experience that it doesn't really bother me at all, but I find some of the lines on the features to be so rough that they leave me cold on the whole thing. I don't know that I would call the song biphobic, certainly not in the way that the song that inspired it is, but it's lyrically careless in a way that it doesn't need to be.

Automatonic Water posted:

this year has been a good year for songs explicitly about gay sex and they're not going away regardless of how pissed off anyone gets about it

I think this is one of the reason why the song is subject to such prominent backlash, honestly. When the world is full of all this amazing and highly visible queer music, people are quicker to try and enforce new standards in terms of thoughtfulness.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Sio posted:

As a bi woman who used to present as a bi man, the two experiences have been so wildly divergent that it can be hard for me to reconcile them. The society-driving hetero male gaze obviously falls on women (queer or straight) in a radically different manner than it does men, and while not every woman is going to respond to it in the same way, it's easy for me to see how a woman might listen to Girls and think it reeks of the ever-present fetishization that can be so tiresome to deal with.

In my case, the chorus is true enough to my own lived experience that it doesn't really bother me at all, but I find some of the lines on the features to be so rough that they leave me cold on the whole thing. I don't know that I would call the song biphobic, certainly not in the way that the song that inspired it is, but it's lyrically careless in a way that it doesn't need to be.

I think this is one of the reason why the song is subject to such prominent backlash, honestly. When the world is full of all this amazing and highly visible queer music, people are quicker to try and enforce new standards in terms of thoughtfulness.

Thanks for this. Yeah I realised after seeing some more tweets and stuff that a lot of the backlash against it seems to stem from the fetishisation, which is not something that I have experienced as a bi guy.

100% agree that standards are higher now, and from the POV that the visibility of this song will be very high, whilst other tracks that deal with the subject better go ignored, the vitriolic backlash makes a bit more sense to me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I am more shocked that Girls apparently took nine people to write.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Backstreet's back, alright?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SuMbFuKDf8

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Track is pretty solid and makes me wonder who it was originally written for

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Is this where we post about Chromeo? I can't believe how good they are, and they keep getting better too. I love you Chromeo! Is this the right number? Seeing them next month, can't wait.

Rageaholic Monkey
May 31, 2005

"What do you fear
most in the world?"

"The possibility that
love is not enough."

Heavy Metal posted:

Is this where we post about Chromeo? I can't believe how good they are, and they keep getting better too. I love you Chromeo! Is this the right number? Seeing them next month, can't wait.
They'd probably belong in the indie thread, because while what they make is kind of pop music, it's more indie pop than anything. They haven't gotten nearly as much exposure as they deserve If you ask a random person if they know who Chromeo is, they probably wouldn't whereas they would know several other pop artists who have gotten more widespread exposure.

I can't wait for their new album. Hopefully they come back here someday too. I saw them like 4 years ago (the year White Women came out) at an outdoor festival during sunset and it was loving magical.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

They'd probably belong in the indie thread, because while what they make is kind of pop music, it's more indie pop than anything. They haven't gotten nearly as much exposure as they deserve If you ask a random person if they know who Chromeo is, they probably wouldn't whereas they would know several other pop artists who have gotten more widespread exposure.

I can't wait for their new album. Hopefully they come back here someday too. I saw them like 4 years ago (the year White Women came out) at an outdoor festival during sunset and it was loving magical.

Right on, I dug that Chromatics you posted by the way, fellow Twin Peaks fan here. Chromatomeo tour, could be a good idea. On Chromeo, being a catchy electro funk duo I guess, I don't know of any other group that sounds like them. I'd like some though. Do any indie pop artists have the oomph and jammin' quality of Chromeo? Chromeo is so righteous, and so drat smooth, dynamic, agreed they deserve more exposure for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

I feel like I've posted this multiple times in NMD recently, but I would put Mayer Hawthorne/Tuxedo right alongside Chromeo

«90 »