Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

New Billie song coming out Thursday July 30th

Excited for this mostly because I have no idea what to expect.

The radio show she has been doing with her dad during quarantine have been really fun. If you are looking for something to listen to they are on Apple Radio or you can find them on YouTube under “Me and Dad Radio”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Bold opinion: I think Billie’s slower songs like everything i wanted or when the party’s over are fine but I want more that sound like bad guy or bury a friend or you should see me in a crown. Her Grammy performance and that bond song were kinda bummers.

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010
loving the new swift, think "epiphany" might be the best song she's written. this is pretty much the album i'd always wanted her to write after hearing "all too well". the album's a little too long, but i'm finding it hard to figure out which songs i'd like to get rid of. maybe "illicit affairs" and "invisible string"?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Has anyone checked on Gary Lightbody, is he doing okay

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

New Taylor is good. It's no 1989, though. I don't know if she'll make an album like that again where literally every song is a standout. The songs on Folklore kinda ran together as the album went on for me.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Pinterest Mom posted:

Has anyone checked on Gary Lightbody, is he doing okay

why wouldn't he be? no feature on Taylor's new album?

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

TheIndividual posted:

loving the new swift, think "epiphany" might be the best song she's written. this is pretty much the album i'd always wanted her to write after hearing "all too well". the album's a little too long, but i'm finding it hard to figure out which songs i'd like to get rid of. maybe "illicit affairs" and "invisible string"?

Invisible String is by far the best song she’s ever written.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

neither of those songs can be her best when they aren't even the best on that album (it's My Tears Ricochet)

Pinterest Mom posted:

exile (ft bon iver) is exactly like The Last Time (feat Gary Lightbody) except it's much better. It sucks to be shown up!

this is literally the first Taylor Swift album with a male featured singer on a song that isn't either boring as poo poo (Gary Lightbody and Ed Sheeran on Red) or deeply embarrassing (Kendrick, Future/Ed Sheeran, Brendon Urie)

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 25, 2020

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

LionArcher posted:

why wouldn't he be? no feature on Taylor's new album?

exile (ft bon iver) is exactly like The Last Time (feat Gary Lightbody) except it's much better. It sucks to be shown up!

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

've lived a thousand times. I found out what it means to be GBS.

DC Murderverse posted:

Bold opinion: I think Billie’s slower songs like everything i wanted or when the party’s over are fine but I want more that sound like bad guy or bury a friend or you should see me in a crown. Her Grammy performance and that bond song were kinda bummers.

See for me I want more stripped back Billie. Her BBC1 piano session is basically peak for me. I missed out on the 3rd man acoustic set and i am just dying because that is what i truly want, but I'm not paying $250.00 for it (let alone $2,500.00)

Either way I'm hyped for new Billie. I can't abide Billie Eilish haters.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TheIndividual posted:

illicit affairs is top 3 songs on the album u monster

last great american dynasty is definitely my fave though

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Folklore has a 94 on metacritic. By far her highest ranking.

https://www.metacritic.com/music/folklore/taylor-swift

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

theblackw0lf posted:

Folklore has a 94 on metacritic. By far her highest ranking.

https://www.metacritic.com/music/folklore/taylor-swift

just wait, pitchfork will give it a 7.7 to knock that down a bit

I will say that "writing her most critically acclaimed album in the span of a few months" is a total flex on her end.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

DC Murderverse posted:

just wait, pitchfork will give it a 7.7 to knock that down a bit

I will say that "writing her most critically acclaimed album in the span of a few months" is a total flex on her end.

Is it? There have been dozens of classic albums written and recorded in a month or less. It doesn’t seem that crazy especially with how expensive studio time was/is. Was the knock on her that she works slow?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

BigFactory posted:

Is it? There have been dozens of classic albums written and recorded in a month or less. It doesn’t seem that crazy especially with how expensive studio time was/is. Was the knock on her that she works slow?

she's always had a reputation (lol) as a very good songwriter but I feel like the last couple of album cycles have sort of made people second guess that (even though there's still plenty of evidence on those two albums, flawed though they are), and she more than anyone else has used the whole label "Album Cycle" process very strictly to develop her albums and eras, so if there was one artist who really wasn't set up in how they worked in the past to make an album this quickly and spontaneously, it's Taylor. Maybe flex is the wrong turn but it is a reminder of her talent and ability after a few years where a lot of people were wondering if she was on the downslope of her career.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

DC Murderverse posted:

she's always had a reputation (lol) as a very good songwriter but I feel like the last couple of album cycles have sort of made people second guess that (even though there's still plenty of evidence on those two albums, flawed though they are), and she more than anyone else has used the whole label "Album Cycle" process very strictly to develop her albums and eras, so if there was one artist who really wasn't set up in how they worked in the past to make an album this quickly and spontaneously, it's Taylor. Maybe flex is the wrong turn but it is a reminder of her talent and ability after a few years where a lot of people were wondering if she was on the downslope of her career.

Yeah but how much of that was her and how much was label/touring schedule? Record execs figured out a long time ago that putting out 2 albums a year doesn’t maximize profits.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

BigFactory posted:

I don’t think slow but a criticism of her fair or not us she is a control freak over everything in her life. I don’t necessarily agree 100% with this btw but people say her relationships and the information we get about them (where she is spotted, she even did a movie with one of them) is heavily curated, her Instagram looks into her world are heavily curated to give a certain homely image (again on these points I would say any modern artist getting that big means people are interested in their lives so it’s not fair to just level at Taylor, but she undeniably does benefit from these things, especially her partnerships and “ohhh who is she dragging in this song!”

That’s slightly off topic but more to the point she’s a machine with her marketing. She’ll often kick off a marketing campaign with a few abstract photos or loads that fit the “theme” of what that albums gonna be. That will build to the album announcement + single which is usually a monster smash hit, and a film clip. Everything leading up to the album release fits the themes and marketing beats of what they wanted. 1989 was “she’s finally gone POP, she ain’t country anymore” and took a more “grown” aesthetic for Taylor, reputation was super villain Taylor and lover ... was a lot of Pastel? These intense marketing campaigns (I remember her posting about the colour theme for lover, Christ) really put me off it but obviously tend to work as she’s the biggest star on the planet.

So to have a surprise album with none of the scandalous songs that will court controversy, no marketing build up, a big departure (and not one that will “obviously” be more popular like the move from country to pop was) and her last year or so of really avoiding the limelight ESPECIALLY with her partner, resulting in what is probably for many people her best album (and at least a great throwback to why people fell in love with her to begin which is just good songwriting) is certainly noteworthy. And while plenty of albums that are classics have been banged together quickly plenty haven’t so I do think it’s a fair statement for this level of artist.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1287112640406466560?s=20

https://twitter.com/treepaine/status/1287145175555465217?s=20

https://twitter.com/todrick/status/1287084327625355264?s=20

https://twitter.com/chartdata/status/1287241246713536512?s=20

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jul 26, 2020

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I keep seeing the "highest female debut in Spotify history" stat and wonder how many Drake albums are ahead of her

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I listened to it again earlier and enjoyed it more on my 2nd listen.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Pitchfork 8.0

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/taylor-swift-folklore/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
pitchfork in last great american dynasty squad

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Meanwhile

https://twitter.com/RexChapman/status/1287773076080529412?s=19

Solomon Gumball
Jul 24, 2019
Man I almost called it. My original guess was 8.2 and not Best New Album distinction, pretty close. Pitchfork is not to be contrarian for the sake of being contrarian, they stopped being like that a long time ago. It's obvious it was going to be well received by them, it's practically taylor made.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

More new Foxes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DGQ82BXD8A

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Not my favorite but its cute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm9Zf1WYQ_A

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Maybe a question for the indie thread but a few people have said “new Taylor is very much like xxxx”

What xxxx are these actually true for? I’ve heard people say the nationals? Any particular album?

I really like this album

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

teacup posted:

Maybe a question for the indie thread but a few people have said “new Taylor is very much like xxxx”

What xxxx are these actually true for? I’ve heard people say the nationals? Any particular album?

I really like this album

For The National maybe start with their album Boxer. They are all pretty good though.

If you are looking to fall completly into the singer/songwriter indie hole check out the new Phoebe Bridgers album Punisher. Its my favorite album of the year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ9-xN6dCW4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw0zYd0eIlk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u8rIx65QgA

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

teacup posted:

I really like this album

For The National, I'd say Trouble Will Find Me or Boxer as mentioned above.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

angrygodofjebus posted:

For The National, I'd say Trouble Will Find Me or Boxer as mentioned above.

I'd say Boxer or High Violet. Of their later music Trouble Will Find Me is easily their worst album.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Lid posted:

I'd say Boxer or High Violet. Of their later music Trouble Will Find Me is easily their worst album.
Hey, Trouble Will Find Me is loving great :mad:

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Trouble Will Find me is great...

FWIW I don't hear The National comparison for Folklore, but I haven't listened to it in full yet.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It comes more from that guy from The National cowriting almost all of the songs than it does from the actual sound

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
The comparison is most obvious in the piano on songs like cardigan.

The National is good, go listen to High Violet.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Rageaholic posted:

Hey, Trouble Will Find Me is loving great :mad:

it can be great in your opinion, but if you were to rate all their albums from Alligator onwards it would still rank at the bottom :) theres always a worst of the best

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Folklore is like Lana del Ray writing songs to be played exclusively over the speakers at a Sephora and I don't say that as an entirely bad thing. Really solid 7/10 and the only album of Tays I'll be able to listen straight through more than a few times. I'm just fuckin thrilled to get new listenable music in this hellworld.

Solomon Gumball
Jul 24, 2019
I haven't listened to folklore yet since I'm not much of Taylor Swift fan. She's had a large fair share of really catchy pop and for as much as she gets ragged on about people trying to figure out who each song is about but it works for her, people want to know more.

I'm not a big The National fan, I think the best they did was help a Canadian musician named Hayden get some revival and new albums. The man is up there with Leonard Cohen and Elliott Smith when he writes a depressing song, it's gutting each time. I've always respected the National even if they weren't my thing (I was in the Interpol camp from the beginning if we're comparing baritone/bass indie singers popular in the 00s).

Anyone listen to Lana's poetry audiobook? I think she has some idea of trying to really cultivate her cult of of personality. She's friends with Jared Leto who has a legit cult going. She obviously is trying to be Leonard Cohen or a poet that transitioned to music, but it's coming off more like Jewel but her hungriest of fans will eat it up. I speak as a big Lana fan but it's just very hard for a musician to jump to poetry successfully without being mocked like hell, be it Billy Corrigan or Jewel.

Another thing unrelated: when the gently caress did all these artists become e.e. cummings with their titles? It feels so obnoxious anymore, even in indie rock lately I've seen, no capitalization. What's the purpose? It just feels like it makes the artist wrote it in a hurry which isn't the case for most.

Solomon Gumball fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 3, 2020

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Solomon Gumball posted:

I haven't listened to folklore yet since I'm not much of Taylor Swift fan. She's had a large fair share of really catchy pop and for as much as she gets ragged on about people trying to figure out who each song is about but it works for her, people want to know more.

I'm not a big The National fan, I think the best they did was help a Canadian musician named Hayden get some revival and new albums. The man is up there with Leonard Cohen and Elliott Smith when he writes a depressing song, it's gutting each time. I've always respected the National even if they weren't my thing (I was in the Interpol camp from the beginning if we're comparing baritone/bass indie singers popular in the 00s).

Anyone listen to Lana's poetry audiobook? I think she has some idea of trying to really cultivate her cult of of personality. She's friends with Jared Leto who has a legit cult going. She obviously is trying to be Leonard Cohen or a poet that transitioned to music, but it's coming off more like Jewel but her hungriest of fans will eat it up. I speak as a big Lana fan but it's just very hard for a musician to jump to poetry successfully without being mocked like hell, be it Billy Corrigan or Jewel.

Another thing unrelated: when the gently caress did all these artists become e.e. cummings with their titles? It feels so obnoxious anymore, even in indie rock lately I've seen, no capitalization. What's the purpose? It just feels like it makes the artist wrote it in a hurry which isn't the case for most.

I agree on your Lana assessment. I loved NFR so I was willing to give this a shot and... nah.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

https://twitter.com/DUALIPA/status/1290807104903819265?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

this might be a hot take but despite the fact that I like pretty much every name in this tweet to some extent I feel like messing with that album isn't gonna make it better. I'd love to be wrong but this feels way more like shoving a bunch of names in there to increase the album's visibility than something to make something cool and new

Even with people I really like and respect the production of like Missy and Ronson, I just don't think it's gonna make sense.