Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Ariana Grande is good but she's really small and that scares me

Also if I hear another chainsmoker song in the radio, I'm gonna be very sad because they are overwhelmingly overrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Anyway I was in the supermarket yesterday and they were playing the Little Mix song "Love Me Like You" from a couple of years ago over their PA; that's such a great song, isn't it? It's like a great lost Phil Spector song. It's always great fun when an artist does a kind of retro feel but with a 21st century twist (see also: all of Bruno Mars's best stuff).

Another song from a couple of years ago (maybe even more, I'm not sure) that I really loved was "Black Heart" by Stooshe. Haven't really heard much from them lately (I think they quit their record label) but I keep meaning to go back to their album because I just can't remember it other than that one song.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Josh Lyman posted:

I'll take Selena over Ariana any day:

Naturally
Love You Like A Love Song
Hit The Lights
Come & Get It
Slow Down
I Want You to Know
Good For You
Same Old Love
Hands to Myself
It Ain't Me

You're crazy, even The Weeknd didn't pick Selena first.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Josh Lyman posted:

I'll take Selena over Ariana any day:

Naturally
Love You Like A Love Song
Hit The Lights
Come & Get It
Slow Down
I Want You to Know
Good For You
Same Old Love
Hands to Myself
It Ain't Me

Ari > Demi > Selena

sorry

edit; also, slightly more substantial, but Deray McKesson interviewed Katy Perry of all people for his podcast, Pod Save The People. I've been listening to the podcast since it started and Deray is an alright interviewer (he's new, he'll improve because he's a great speaker) but this is the most interesting person he's talked to since Ed Snowden.

It is very nice that we have a pop star so openly talking about her political journey (especially having grown up so religiously) and I wish people would do that more (*cough*taylorswift*cough*)

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 14, 2017

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

Remember when there was a brief craze for saxophone solos about five years ago? I don't think it amounted to very much but Kenny G did one in that one Katy Perry song and Clarence Clemons (RIP) showed up in "The Edge of Glory".

I always said that if Clemons was still alive, he would have play the opening sax solo on CJR'S runaway with me and would have show up at shadow of the city last year to play it because why not.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Are sax solos the most "80s pop" thing of all? It's either sax solos or drums with gated reverb.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Melodrama's out. It's cool

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Are sax solos the most "80s pop" thing of all? It's either sax solos or drums with gated reverb.

For me, the thing that always makes me think of 80s pop are those exaggerated pitch-drop and reverbed tom fills/rolls.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Slap bass. Always slap bass.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Another one I've just remembered (though it may just be a power ballad thing) is high-register guitar solos that all end with a fast ascending scale or arpeggio or sequence or whatever.

Exhibit A.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's the sax and that's why "Run Away With Me" is universe-brain tier.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Melodrama's out. It's cool

I think it's better than cool, I think it's drat good. Opens with Bangers, closes with bangers.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
And the middle songs are the mash?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

My expectations had gone way down based on the promo singles but the album has kinda blown me away.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

Wheat Loaf posted:

Remember when there was a brief craze for saxophone solos about five years ago? I don't think it amounted to very much but Kenny G did one in that one Katy Perry song and Clarence Clemons (RIP) showed up in "The Edge of Glory".

I know this is from the last page, but Kenny G didn't play on 'Last Friday Night'. He was in the video, though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My mistake; I saw the video and assumed he was on the recording as well.

In retrospect, it's not a very Kenny G solo at all, so it should've been obvious to me.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

My mistake; I saw the video and assumed he was on the recording as well.

In retrospect, it's not a very Kenny G solo at all, so it should've been obvious to me.
If you would have watched all 96 hours of KATY PERRY: WITNESS WORLD WIDE you would have seen the 6 minute segment where she goes over a few of her music videos and offers biting commentary you would have known Kenny G was a pure music video cameo along with all the other celebrities. :rolleyes:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just looking forward to the triumphant return of Hammond organs in pop music. Dave "Baby" Cortez is just waiting to be rediscovered. :v:

I wonder what the most recent hit song to prominently feature a Hammond organ was. Where could you even look something like that up?

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Katy Perry's new album is pretty loving bad. Did she piss off all the good writers and producers? I thought she was supposed to actually be a nice and reliable person, unlike most people in the industry.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
This is magical, especially from when Halsey's part kicks in onwards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTtoe9Bh-gI

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

the truth posted:

Katy Perry's new album is pretty loving bad. Did she piss off all the good writers and producers? I thought she was supposed to actually be a nice and reliable person, unlike most people in the industry.

Look at the list of writers and producers there; it's all the same people you see on pop albums. Sia, Max Martin, Duke Dumont, Mike Will Made It and Shellback are all on there, it's just the ideas that sucked. Katy is not an ideas person on her own, obviously, but if someone writes a great song for her (see: most of Teenage Dream) she can deliver it.

edit: in news much more relevant to the tastes of this thread: Here's CRJ performing with the Toronto Symphony Orchestra!

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

DC Murderverse posted:

Look at the list of writers and producers there; it's all the same people you see on pop albums. Sia, Max Martin, Duke Dumont, Mike Will Made It and Shellback are all on there, it's just the ideas that sucked. Katy is not an ideas person on her own, obviously, but if someone writes a great song for her (see: most of Teenage Dream) she can deliver it.

edit: in news much more relevant to the tastes of this thread: Here's CRJ performing with the Toronto Symphony Orchestra!

To be honest, teenage dream aged poorly. When Firework comes on, I literally cringe now. She does have some good songs though, but i'm glad better artists (Lorde) are replacing her now. Her days on top are done.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Britney and Miley's breakdowns took them off the map. Mariah Carey too.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I read a quote last week that has really been on my mind, "Sometime around when Brittany Spears shaved her head, I noticed that once a year, without fail, the whole of culture turns on a female celebrity until she's destroyed."

It made me think of Miley, but about a month before this album dropped, I started clocking a number of anti-Katy articles that lead up to, "Watching Katy Perry struggle for relevance this year has been painful" which is really just a roast of the disc. That isn't to make an excuse for it, it isn't great after how high she has flown previously, but it makes me wonder if it is her turn this year.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

somnambulist posted:

To be honest, teenage dream aged poorly.

I largely agree, with one exception... The lead single is still utterly anthemic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F57P9C4SAW4

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

less laughter posted:

I largely agree, with one exception... The lead single is still utterly anthemic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F57P9C4SAW4

Yeah I love that song and The one that got away. The rest is pretty bleh now. Prism is even worse, and Witness....well......

As far as the topic of women being targeted as "being over" -- it's definitely a thing. Men never really go through it like the females. Britney, Mariah, Gaga, Madonna, and now Katy have all been under attack for pretty much everything, from their looks, to sales, and everything in between.

It sucks to be honest, and we'd be kidding ourselves if we thought women get treated equally in the United States.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I still like Teenage Dream :shobon:

I also really don't like Lorde's new music very much :shrug:

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah it's pretty glaring if you look at all the female pop stars that get trashed and compare it to people like Michael Jackson, or even to a lesser extent Chris Brown. I would say Rihanna's career suffered more from that then Chris Browns.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Josh Lyman posted:

Britney and Miley's breakdowns took them off the map. Mariah Carey too.

To be fair to Britney and Mariah (who had actual, legitimate breakdowns), Miley wasn't having a breakdown, she was just compensating for the years of being under Disney's thumb by going out and being exactly who she wanted to be. She was never crazy, she just didn't act like a pop star was supposed to act. In all honesty, the worst thing about Miley is that now that she's kinda over that (because she grew up or whatever), it makes all of the gross cultural appropriation stuff she did seem even more hollow and cynical now that she's criticizing hip-hop culture (which she was happy to be a part of when it was making her popular).

Also Melodrama is really good. It's definitely growing on me after a few listens, I especially like The Louvre and Supercut.

edit: I honestly don't know what to make of Katy's latest career turn. She can do whatever she wants with her hair and look, that's all her (I mean, CRJ got a very similar haircut about a year ago and short hair cuts are really in atm so I don't blame her), but I listened to her interview with Deray McKesson, talking about her political awakening and how growing up in a very religious household affected her, and she sounded like she genuinely wants to change and become a more woke person, but it sounds dangerously close to using "woke" as a selling point. Which is definitely one way to go (it's better than pretending politics doesn't exist certainly), but comparing her to someone like Beyonce or Lady Gaga who are naturally very politically active and progressive, she sounds much more like it's a costume she's putting on to change her image.

Here is an article that is much better than I am at explaining what I'm trying to say.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jun 21, 2017

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
I did not enjoy the singles from Melodrama but I am digging the album including the tracks released as singles. What is this witchery?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A lot of Lorde tracks are definitely a grower. I don't know anyone who really liked Green Light the first time they heard it - pretty much everyone I saw said it had one too many sections and didn't fit together well - yet they all loved it a few days later.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Everything in Witness World Wide was fake marketing bullshit, that interview included.

Of course going from an insular religious household to Hollywood will change you, but you're 32 and I Kissed A Girl was a decade ago.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 21, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Katy Perry is over 30. Usually, female pop stars are expected to have moved on from bubblegum music and started making "serious" music by the time they hit 30 so they can take advantage of fans getting older etc. Cf. Madonna starting off with "Like a Virgin" then arriving at "Like a Prayer" etc. around the time she turned 30. Taylor Swift's an odd case because she's done it a bit in reverse.

I imagine that's why CRJ never really got a shot after "Call Me Maybe" - she was already in her late 20s by the time that song was a hit so as far as the industry was concerned, she was too old and there's nothing left to be done with her. It's a shame, because a major label could have made itself a lot of money with her if they'd kept her on and supported her.

It's very unfair but it's the way it's always been. Pop music has always been cut-throat like that. That's how Whitney Houston got big - Clive Davis picked her out and built her from the ground up after Phyllis Hyman made it clear she wasn't going to conform to the image he wanted her to adopt. Or all the stuff about Diana Ross getting the big solo push out of the Supremes more because Berry Gordy thought she was the most marketable rather than her being innately more talented than Mary Wilson or Florence Ballard.

Anyway, I don't think Katy Perry is a very good singer so I don't really listen to her music very much.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I remember when Call Me Maybe came out, a lot of music journalists said she was way too old to be dressing the way she did in her performances and record covers.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Katy Perry is over 30. Usually, female pop stars are expected to have moved on from bubblegum music and started making "serious" music by the time they hit 30 so they can take advantage of fans getting older etc. Cf. Madonna starting off with "Like a Virgin" then arriving at "Like a Prayer" etc. around the time she turned 30. Taylor Swift's an odd case because she's done it a bit in reverse.

I imagine that's why CRJ never really got a shot after "Call Me Maybe" - she was already in her late 20s by the time that song was a hit so as far as the industry was concerned, she was too old and there's nothing left to be done with her. It's a shame, because a major label could have made itself a lot of money with her if they'd kept her on and supported her.

It's very unfair but it's the way it's always been. Pop music has always been cut-throat like that. That's how Whitney Houston got big - Clive Davis picked her out and built her from the ground up after Phyllis Hyman made it clear she wasn't going to conform to the image he wanted her to adopt. Or all the stuff about Diana Ross getting the big solo push out of the Supremes more because Berry Gordy thought she was the most marketable rather than her being innately more talented than Mary Wilson or Florence Ballard.

Anyway, I don't think Katy Perry is a very good singer so I don't really listen to her music very much.

CRJ was 26 when Call me maybe was a hit, Madonna was 26 when Like a Virgin came out. your theory has holes in it

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Fair enough. I had a notion that "Like a Virgin" came out much earlier than it did. Thought it was a 1981 song but now I've checked and it was actually 1984. :shrug:

Anyway, poorly-chosen examples notwithstanding, I don't think my idea is entirely without merit. Adele and Lady Gaga were 19 and 22 when they broke through. Rihanna was 18 or so. I think Taylor Swift was about 16. Beyoncé was about 17 when the first Destiny's Child album came out and 22 when she released her first solo album.

Katy Perry was 24 or so when "I Kissed a Girl" came out so compared to her main contemporaries she was already on the older end of things (which I acknowledge is pretty ridiculous to type when it's only a year younger than I am now, but that's the way it is). Two years seems like it's a long time in pop music.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
The idea certainly has merit; I had a similar discussion on here recently about why Lorde was so much more NZs sweetheart when Ladyhawke is far more consistent, and I would suggest interesting, and the answer came pretty solidly down age age age.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

A lot of Lorde tracks are definitely a grower. I don't know anyone who really liked Green Light the first time they heard it - pretty much everyone I saw said it had one too many sections and didn't fit together well - yet they all loved it a few days later.

I intensely dislike Green Light. The lyrics offend me.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Pararoid posted:

The idea certainly has merit; I had a similar discussion on here recently about why Lorde was so much more NZs sweetheart when Ladyhawke is far more consistent, and I would suggest interesting, and the answer came pretty solidly down age age age.

Have you listened to Melodrama?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Have you listened to Melodrama?

Yep.