Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

DC Murderverse posted:

oh poo poo i almost forgot

I got tickets to see Gaga in Vegas next October!!! It's basically a birthday/"sorry we're going on vacation without you" present from my parents but I got GA Floor tickets to the Enigma show and really, really far back tickets to the Jazz and Piano show. I've never seen Gaga and never been to Vegas but i feel like the two will go together well. I'm not watching the videos of the performance so I can be surprised by how it happens but she does Shallow (obviously) and covers David Bowie's (makes sense) I'm Afraid of Americans (oooooook?) with Government Hooker which means I'm gonna be really happy because that just sounds lovely.

now I just need to see her on a broadway stage and i'll be able to die happy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQz0oBSqkkE

Seeing her perform I'm Afraid Of Americans is really loving weird considering I'm most familiar with Nine Inch Nails performing it since they've been doing that off and on for years and years. It sounds dope as hell when they play it since Trent Reznor did the V1 mix of that song that most people are familiar with and his voice works incredibly well with it.

Gaga isn't doing the whole song, but it just seems wrong to hear her singing it. Like it's not in her register.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

A gift for you all:

an 11 hour playlist that serves as a good overview of pop in 2018.

there's more than a little hip-hop in here too because it wouldn't really be pop music in 2018 without Drake and Post Malone. No Maroon 5, no Chainsmokers, no XXXtentacion, but yes to Meghan Trainor and Charlie Puth, who both put out songs listenable enough to make me overlook my severe dislike for them. I pretty much pulled from a few best-of lists, a few end-of-year mashups, and a couple playlists I had already made during the year, so it gets the popular stuff and some things that should have gotten more attention (2019 is gonna be the year of Jessie Reyez, y'all). Also liking the multi-national representation, lots of spanish songs, a couple of k-pop songs, and of course poo poo-loads of music from British and Scandinavian people because, again, you can't have pop music without it. 2018 was really a pretty good year for pop, not so many strong albums (shouts to Ariana, Robyn, and Ms. Monae for repping the full-length!) but lots of great singles and fun collaborations you might not have expected. I have no idea what 2019 is going to look like but jesus loving christ I want that new Sky Ferreira album

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DC Murderverse posted:

edit: or maybe Adele defeated her in hand-to-hand combat and was the British Soul Singer releasing their debut in 2008 that was allowed to take the Winehouse British Soul Crown

See, I have a really distinct recollection of a newspaper double-spread from 2008 or 2009 or so giving the odds on who would be the "heir to Amy" (this was around the time when her life had basically imploded completely) and if I remember correctly, Adele was only in the middle of the pack; Duffy was ranked higher, as were Lily Allen and K.T. Tunstall. Also included were Kate Nash, Katie Melua and Elly Jackson of La Roux. Don't remember if Eliza Doolittle was in it or not though she may well have been. I'm not exactly sure when "Rollerskates" was a hit.

Little Boots was also around at that time. I remember seeing her on an episode of Jools Holland and thinking she was quite good, then after that... nada. Never heard from her again.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Little Boots was also around at that time. I remember seeing her on an episode of Jools Holland and thinking she was quite good, then after that... nada. Never heard from her again.

She's released two quite decent disco-y albums since

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?
Little Boots still loving owns a decade later :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sQzEib6hOA

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Question that's not really about pop music but is adjacent to it: what's the heaviest album that's ever gotten to number one on Billboard 200? I think it must be either Slave to the Grind by Skid Row or Far Beyond Driven by Pantera but no doubt there's some other one that managed to sneak in at number one for one week in the 80s or something.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Wheat Loaf posted:

Question that's not really about pop music but is adjacent to it: what's the heaviest album that's ever gotten to number one on Billboard 200? I think it must be either Slave to the Grind by Skid Row or Far Beyond Driven by Pantera but no doubt there's some other one that managed to sneak in at number one for one week in the 80s or something.

coming from someone with just a list of Billboard top albums and very little knowledge about relative heaviness of bands because metal/rock isn't exactly my bag...

Disturbed has multiple, Slipknot has multiple, Metallica has had multiple, Avenged Sevenfold is listed as a heavy metal band on Wikipedia and they have a few, Godsmack sounds like a metal band name and they had a few, also Tool, Marilyn Manson, Audioslave, NIN, Rage against the Machine, Korn... I'll let you decide which of them is heaviest (or if none of them are close to Skid Row/Pantera)

nothing from the 1980s, there were less albums reaching the top slot during that decade because the really really popular albums would stay there for weeks upon weeks (hey Thriller), in more recent years there's a lot more turnover as you get one big week and then the next week it's something else, and staying for more than a week is rare unless you're like, Adele, Taylor Swift or Drake. So bands like Disturbed and Slipknot can get to the top for a week off the back of their devoted fanbase.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

coming from someone with just a list of Billboard top albums and very little knowledge about relative heaviness of bands because metal/rock isn't exactly my bag...

Disturbed has multiple, Slipknot has multiple, Metallica has had multiple, Avenged Sevenfold is listed as a heavy metal band on Wikipedia and they have a few, Godsmack sounds like a metal band name and they had a few, also Tool, Marilyn Manson, Audioslave, NIN, Rage against the Machine, Korn... I'll let you decide which of them is heaviest (or if none of them are close to Skid Row/Pantera)

nothing from the 1980s, there were less albums reaching the top slot during that decade because the really really popular albums would stay there for weeks upon weeks (hey Thriller), in more recent years there's a lot more turnover as you get one big week and then the next week it's something else, and staying for more than a week is rare unless you're like, Adele, Taylor Swift or Drake. So bands like Disturbed and Slipknot can get to the top for a week off the back of their devoted fanbase.

Godsmack was sort of a Nu Metal band is how I see them described now? But I listened to them when I was a teen and they didn't really rap that I can recall.

In any event they weren't particularly "heavy," just a rock band.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DC Murderverse posted:

nothing from the 1980s, there were less albums reaching the top slot during that decade because the really really popular albums would stay there for weeks upon weeks (hey Thriller),

Looking at the number-one album pages for 1983 and 1984 (edging into early 1985) on Wikipedia is fun because of how overwhelmingly dominant Thriller, Purple Rain and Born In the USA were between them.

I believe Born In the USA was number one for a few weeks, then it was number two for months during the 24-week reign of Purple Rain, then it was back at number one again.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Wheat Loaf posted:

Looking at the number-one album pages for 1983 and 1984 (edging into early 1985) on Wikipedia is fun because of how overwhelmingly dominant Thriller, Purple Rain and Born In the USA were between them.

I believe Born In the USA was number one for a few weeks, then it was number two for months during the 24-week reign of Purple Rain, then it was back at number one again.

10 albums hit #1 over the course of 1983 and 1984, with only 3 of those albums holding the spot for 2 or less weeks (Metal Health, Flashdance, Sports). in comparison, 2018 alone had 40 different albums reach the top spot, with only one holding the spot for more than 3 weeks (Scorpion).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DC Murderverse posted:

10 albums hit #1 over the course of 1983 and 1984, with only 3 of those albums holding the spot for 2 or less weeks (Metal Health, Flashdance, Sports). in comparison, 2018 alone had 40 different albums reach the top spot, with only one holding the spot for more than 3 weeks (Scorpion).

My favourite piece of UK album chart trivia:

The soundtrack to South Pacific was the number-one album in Britain for a cumulative 115 weeks.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The Downward Spiral might be the bleakest album to ever go platinum

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

When was it that the top song in the US was about the Australian government blowing up the ancestral home of the Aborigines?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The MSJ posted:

When was it that the top song in the US was about the Australian government blowing up the ancestral home of the Aborigines?

I believe that was "Beds Are Burning" by Midnight Oil, which was 1987.

I know this because there's a Todd In the Shadows video about it from a couple of years ago which I rewatched recently. Same video (I think) made an interesting observation that grunge didn't just kill off hair metal; it also largely did away with a lot (not all, but a lot) of pre-grunge alternative rock.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

NikkolasKing posted:

Godsmack was sort of a Nu Metal band is how I see them described now? But I listened to them when I was a teen and they didn't really rap that I can recall.

In any event they weren't particularly "heavy," just a rock band.

Yeah they were nu-metal basically. Like WWE music. Also that one Prince of Persia game. "I! Stand alone!" Despite critics often using the term interchangably with "Rap-metal", Nu-metal only occasionally had rap in it. It was about as wide as umbrella as Grunge, more of an aesthetic than one really specific sound. Low-tuned guitars, grooving drums, not very flashy, vaguely depressing. I guess you could basically say darker Grunge. If Grunge was a drawing that got you sent to the counselor's office, Nu-metal would be a literal suicide note.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 31, 2018

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

I believe that was "Beds Are Burning" by Midnight Oil, which was 1987.

I know this because there's a Todd In the Shadows video about it from a couple of years ago which I rewatched recently. Same video (I think) made an interesting observation that grunge didn't just kill off hair metal; it also largely did away with a lot (not all, but a lot) of pre-grunge alternative rock.

I think I watched that one too, and it's where I found out about it.

Todd also made the observation that Crazy Town's Butterfly might be the only nu-metal love song that exists.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Since I've been out of the loop with pop music for most of the past year, I hadn't even realised that "soundcloud rap"/"mumble rap" had become the big thing. I've listened to some of it and it doesn't impress me very much; I'm not sure if it is sustainable or if it's just a fad that will pass.

Combined with hearing "We Are Young" by fun (remember fun? Remember Gotye? Remember Foster the People?) played as muzak in a shop earlier today, it has me thinking, what's the most recent example of a genre which seemed to be riding high, on top of the world for a while, then just died a death and you stopped hearing about it completely?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wheat Loaf posted:

Since I've been out of the loop with pop music for most of the past year, I hadn't even realised that "soundcloud rap"/"mumble rap" had become the big thing. I've listened to some of it and it doesn't impress me very much; I'm not sure if it is sustainable or if it's just a fad that will pass.

Combined with hearing "We Are Young" by fun (remember fun? Remember Gotye? Remember Foster the People?) played as muzak in a shop earlier today, it has me thinking, what's the most recent example of a genre which seemed to be riding high, on top of the world for a while, then just died a death and you stopped hearing about it completely?
Chillwave was kinda like that too. For a couple years there in the early 2010s, it just exploded out of nowhere and several artists were making really quality stuff in the genre (though I don't think any pop artists really got into it, or if they did, it was very few of them). Then it just seemed to vanish at some point. Maybe once vaporwave started becoming a thing? Though again, that's not a genre any pop artist really branched into either.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Washed Out released a really good album just last year. I don't think chillwave was ever big enough as a movement to ever say it faltered, it's always been like three dudes carrying the entire subgenre.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I recently saw this "Where are they now?" clickbait for some infamously bad contestants on the UK version of X Factor; the title listed "Ant and Seb, AbLisa and Cher Lloyd" which is certainly something, because Cher Lloyd actually had a short-lived pop music career including a number-one single!

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Cher Lloyd released a studio version of Stay as the Japanese bonus track for her first album and it’s fantastic.

Edit: wow, that was a long time ago

Edit2: I own her second album, too. There were some good songs.

Edit3: oh man, and her first album ended with the key change in the final chorus of Riot. I doubt she had much to do with that or knew what a keychange was, but it was such a great detail.

the truth fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 5, 2019

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was surprised to realise that X Factor is still on, actually. I had a notion that it had ended a few years ago. It doesn't seem like anyone's made much of a splash from it in a while. I couldn't tell you who won any of them since that emo guy who got in trouble for doing a racist/homophobic rap on Twitter a couple of years afterwards. The only ones who have had much in the way of consistent success since they won is Little Mix (not counting One Direction since I believe they split up). I don't think even most of the runners-up have had big pop music careers, which always used to be the case.

Who remembers Same Difference?

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Who remembers Leona Lewis?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Looking on Wikipedia, there's so many winners who have one high-charting album and a number-one single on Simon Cowell's label, then nothing else charts or stalls in the mid-30s. Apparently the winner of the twelfth series in 2015 (Louisa Johnson) still doesn't have an album out. Probably not much in the way of momentum if and when she does get one recorded.

The one I remember is Katie Waissel, because she was never very good and had several very poor performances but kept getting saved by the judges for some reason. I think that was the last time I paid attention to it. Still, it's crazy to think how big it was in its heyday.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Wheat Loaf posted:

I recently saw this "Where are they now?" clickbait for some infamously bad contestants on the UK version of X Factor; the title listed "Ant and Seb, AbLisa and Cher Lloyd" which is certainly something, because Cher Lloyd actually had a short-lived pop music career including a number-one single!

She's still active, here's her newest single:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMeFI0eVk2w

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Wheat Loaf posted:

Looking on Wikipedia, there's so many winners who have one high-charting album and a number-one single on Simon Cowell's label, then nothing else charts or stalls in the mid-30s. Apparently the winner of the twelfth series in 2015 (Louisa Johnson) still doesn't have an album out. Probably not much in the way of momentum if and when she does get one recorded.

I've never got the impression that Syco really wants to invest anything into them. I mean, I know some of them probably aren't worth a huge investment anyway, but the number of people who sign on and then only get a couple of singles out over the course of the year, with very little promo, I feel like someone could be pushing a little harder.

Sudbina
Mar 17, 2009

less laughter posted:

That's a decent song.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They never seem to have an idea of what to do with male winners in particular. They all seem to end up doing the same anaemic-sounding guitar pop that manages to sound almost as tedious as Snow Patrol.

One Direction got there in the end but at least they led off with some upbeat material.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

The one I remember is Katie Waissel, because she was never very good and had several very poor performances but kept getting saved by the judges for some reason. I think that was the last time I paid attention to it. Still, it's crazy to think how big it was in its heyday.

There was an episode of Slate’s music charts history podcast about the UK Christmas single tradition and apparently Simon Cowell worked it out so that X Factor winners would get the Christmas #1 single for like six or seven years in a row and people got so pissed off they purposely pushed a RATM song to the top (then the X Factor winners came back).

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That RATM campaign was glorious

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Badger of Basra posted:

There was an episode of Slate’s music charts history podcast about the UK Christmas single tradition and apparently Simon Cowell worked it out so that X Factor winners would get the Christmas #1 single for like six or seven years in a row and people got so pissed off they purposely pushed a RATM song to the top (then the X Factor winners came back).

that's almost as funny as the campaign to push Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead up to the top when Margaret Thatcher died. it sucks that it didn't work but it made a bunch of pissed off Torys buy some lame Duke Dumont song to keep it from happening which is also funny

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think my favourite bad X Factor audition after all these years is still Ant and Seb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkKaTeWI3KM

Edit: Runner-up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSDFB5Tvo1U

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 7, 2019

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

less laughter posted:

Sudbina posted:

That's a decent song.

I enjoy this song. One of the commenters on YouTube pointed out it has a Bebe Rexha vibe and I dig it.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Just found out Zayn has a new disc and this poo poo is 25 tracks long? Jesus H.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
it's probably gonna be rear end.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

New Grande

https://youtu.be/M84fFXooS5w

Sudbina
Mar 17, 2009
Julia Michaels released a new EP called "Inner Monologue Part I."

https://juliamichaels.lnk.to/InnerMonologuePt1We

That song, Anxiety, really speaks to me.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I really like Anxiety, even Selena's parts.

Also released the last couple days is FLETCHER's new track "Undrunk" which I really really like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHejdFQZ4dM

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Do we like Kehlani here? Kehlani's new single is fire. Miraculously, it even features a non-obnoxious Ty Dollar $ign guest vocal. Been listening to this nonstop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwxI0OX3GsA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Lately been exploring kpop and this song has been on repeat

K/DA Popstars Feat: Madison Beer, (G)I-dle, Jaira Burns