Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
What's with the Lorde hate? Two great pop albums? Wants to tour with great artists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

DC Murderverse posted:

kesha is amazing and deserves to be the biggest rock star in teh world

that performance was raw and powerful and we should get together to kick that rear end in a top hat that hurt her out of the country

I don’t want to like #notallmen her because regardless it’s super hosed her record contract wasn’t allowed to be broken but wasn’t he like never found guilty? I get that it’s hard to prove which is a difficult issue anyway but it feels a bit like one of those stupid arguments people use about “trial by media!!” But in real life.

Anyway it’s a good song

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I heard dear future husband again on the radio the other day and forgot how much I hated her.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

less laughter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvuN_WvF1to

This stars a lot of pop stars:

• Justin Bieber
  • Ariana Grande
  • Halsey
  • Zac Brown
  • Brendon Urie
  • Hailee Steinfeld
  • Wiz Khalifa
  • Snoop Dogg
  • Adam Levine
  • Shawn Mendes
  • Charlie Puth
  • Sia
  • Miley Cyrus
  • Lil Jon
  • Rita Ora
  • Miguel
  • Katy Perry
  • Lil Yachty
  • Ed Sheeran
  • Meghan Trainor
  • Tory Lanez
  • John Legend
  • the Backstreet Boys
  • Bad Bunny
  • Psy
  • Kris Wu

Seriously what the gently caress is the point of lil Dicky. Did he make fun of his small penis in this song. Or use the word “kike”?

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

DC Murderverse posted:

well this sure is an opinion

I prefer melodrama but pure heroine is amazing

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Taylor swift still bugs me for just straight up lying. Like take the L, Taylor. You got caught. But her fans just keep bringing up Kanye like anyone still gives a poo poo about him, it’s all about you Taylor.

Either way though the record industry sucks and if true if Taylor loving swift has trouble controlling her own music what hope is there for anyone

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

DC Murderverse posted:

She’s lying because since that moment (for reasons unrelated to her) Kanye’s stock has dropped like a rock and she thinks she can change history because more people hate him now, and also because, once again, everyone say it with me now, Taylor Swift is constitutionally incapable of letting go of any and all sleights against her, real and perceived.

Like I listened to Reputation again today and that’s one of the core messages of that album, as well as other songs in her discography. There is nothing she does better than revenge, right?

edit: like basically where I stand on this is that despite her motives being questionable and despite clearly not being honest about everything Taylor has ended up on the right side of an issue with a lot of people I like and agree with standing by her (Halsey, Sky Ferreira, etc), and the wrong side is filled with people I like much less than her (the Biebers, Kanye, Scooter Braun as a stand in for generic white guys in record labels who are shitheads everywhere), so i guess she's a lot cunning and a little lucky. Also Todrick Hall attempting to take a stand with her and taking a huge L is hilarious.

edit:

here's a video of Miley from Glastonbury looking like a drat rock star singing Wrecking Ball

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVofPIGwEnA

Yeah I love Kanye but obviously pre trump Kanye, and while I don’t like Taylor it doesn’t mean she can’t be right (like with her recent promotion of Democrats during the mid terms also)

And not a defence of scooter but didn’t he help organise the Manchester benefit and also like tons of stuff with make a wish? I’m not saying he’s mother Teresa but painting every record exec as just pure evil is a bit ridiculous. Also let’s remember this is “I’m almost a billionaire off this poo poo” Taylor so it’s a bit rich to play victim as well. One executive isn’t the issue, the system is and then people like dr Luke are.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Hey halsey man all good and stuff but I just don’t get the comparison to Lorde they can both exist right? Like did you really like new Americana and then a pitchfork article called her a Lorde knockoff and you got angry at it? Who cares man

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Stupid love is amazing. My 15 month old daughter squeals when it comes in and starts grabbing at me to dance with her and starts flapping her arms up and down like she’s having a seizure. It’s beautiful

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

DC Murderverse posted:

I mean I know you're right long term but grief and loss are things you can't use money to insulate yourself from, and given that Taylor's been really private the last few years she could very easily have gone through all of this without really saying much to anyone, so opening up in this way is unique and honest and interesting.

It’s good marketing

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

BigFactory posted:

Is it? There have been dozens of classic albums written and recorded in a month or less. It doesn’t seem that crazy especially with how expensive studio time was/is. Was the knock on her that she works slow?

I don’t think slow but a criticism of her fair or not us she is a control freak over everything in her life. I don’t necessarily agree 100% with this btw but people say her relationships and the information we get about them (where she is spotted, she even did a movie with one of them) is heavily curated, her Instagram looks into her world are heavily curated to give a certain homely image (again on these points I would say any modern artist getting that big means people are interested in their lives so it’s not fair to just level at Taylor, but she undeniably does benefit from these things, especially her partnerships and “ohhh who is she dragging in this song!”

That’s slightly off topic but more to the point she’s a machine with her marketing. She’ll often kick off a marketing campaign with a few abstract photos or loads that fit the “theme” of what that albums gonna be. That will build to the album announcement + single which is usually a monster smash hit, and a film clip. Everything leading up to the album release fits the themes and marketing beats of what they wanted. 1989 was “she’s finally gone POP, she ain’t country anymore” and took a more “grown” aesthetic for Taylor, reputation was super villain Taylor and lover ... was a lot of Pastel? These intense marketing campaigns (I remember her posting about the colour theme for lover, Christ) really put me off it but obviously tend to work as she’s the biggest star on the planet.

So to have a surprise album with none of the scandalous songs that will court controversy, no marketing build up, a big departure (and not one that will “obviously” be more popular like the move from country to pop was) and her last year or so of really avoiding the limelight ESPECIALLY with her partner, resulting in what is probably for many people her best album (and at least a great throwback to why people fell in love with her to begin which is just good songwriting) is certainly noteworthy. And while plenty of albums that are classics have been banged together quickly plenty haven’t so I do think it’s a fair statement for this level of artist.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Maybe a question for the indie thread but a few people have said “new Taylor is very much like xxxx”

What xxxx are these actually true for? I’ve heard people say the nationals? Any particular album?

I really like this album

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Lord Krangdar posted:

Being trans doesn't make Petras immune from criticism. But being the first out trans pop-star does probably mean she has less choice of which producers to work with, compared to a cis person at the same level of fame.

Yeah I still don’t think it gives a pass. Like I realise this sounds a bit close to “we can’t criticise minorities PC gone mad!!”

But not having as much of a choice still leaves Petras with a choice, and Kesha was still a victim, so Petras supporting an abuser is still her choice.