Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Christmas Jones
Apr 12, 2007

nuklear fizzicist
I listened to "Body Talk" by Robyn again today. I think I love it more every time I listen to it. I really need to check out the original 3 part version.

Aside from the impressive amount of variety her style encompasses, she's one of the few pop stars whose lyrics aren't just passable, but great. "Dancing On My Own" captures romantic hopelessness more accurately than any breakup song I've ever heard, "Hang With Me" and "Call Your Girlfriend" look at love from completely fresh angles, "You Should Know Better" is a boast that is equal parts hilarious and exhilarating. Also, her vocals also tend to capture whatever emotion she's going for better than most performers.

I would love to know how Sweden does it when it comes to churning out great pop music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christmas Jones
Apr 12, 2007

nuklear fizzicist

Alvarez IV posted:

What I'm really waiting for is for EDM influenced pop to start getting a bit more distorted. The current dance-pop is very upbeat and uplifting and major key and I think we might collectively get bored of that and start mixing in more gritty types of EDM. I doubt we'll ever hear Skrillex or Deadmau5 types on the radio but there's got to be a halfway point between the very accessible Guetta stuff and the less house-y stuff. Deadmau5 is already sort of getting there by getting featured vocalists that aren't the traditional diva sopranos, but he doesn't seem to want to be at that level of mainstreamness that Guetta is.

What did you think of Calvin Harris's latest? He does the Guetta thing of inviting tons of pop celebrities (more British than American, overall) onto his album, but his hooks are a lot rougher and darker sounding. He tends to lean on the traditional trance/house build pretty heavily, but at least the builds are fun and he breaks it up with the occasional clever instrumental.

Christmas Jones
Apr 12, 2007

nuklear fizzicist

Pirate Jenny posted:

Hooray! This thread has started, that gives me a happy.

Harris... I feel like with his mainstream success he's trying to emulate David Guetta.... and as a result has turned himself into something of a poor man's David Guetta, and that's saying something. But at least Guetta has a good handling of beat and atmosphere, and his collaboration with Sia didn't feel unnatural (I actually like "Titanium" a lot). This new thing he's done with Florence Welsh just feels thin and strained an unnatural, and a bad use of Welsh. That track wishes it was "Titanum" so hard.

Perhaps for clarification/specificity, rename the thread "Hot 100 Megathread" or "American Top 40 Megathread"?

I personally think Harris's recent output is much better than Guetta's. Guetta does have more variety, but nothing he puts out makes any kind of impression on me. I've listened to Titanium several times, but if you asked me to hum it... nothing. At least Harris's songs, despite their predictability, have a little bit of "oomph" behind them I can dance to, some kind of emotional punch. And I thought the Florence Welch collab turned out really well, really fun to shout along with. And I find "pew pew pew" to be a perfectly acceptable sound effect.

Christmas Jones
Apr 12, 2007

nuklear fizzicist
Oh, and also one thing I like about Harris over Guetta is that Harris has not yet collaborated with Chris Brown/ The more Chris Brown-free I can keep my music collection the better.

Christmas Jones
Apr 12, 2007

nuklear fizzicist

I must be a bit behind on my British because Florrie hadn't crossed my radar yet. Thank you so much for this, I absolutely love it.

Christmas Jones
Apr 12, 2007

nuklear fizzicist
Artpop... sigh, ARTPOP... kind of disappeared. If it was still going to be out by spring, it probably should have been announced by now. Anyone have an idea what's going on with that?

Christmas Jones
Apr 12, 2007

nuklear fizzicist

DominoDancing posted:

Axis is awesome! I was definately not expecting an instrumental as a first single, but with them being on their own label now I guess they've decided to do whatever the gently caress they want. Good for them!

I'm so disappointed they're not coming anywhere near me on the North American tour. They're my favorite group I've never had a chance to see live.

Christmas Jones
Apr 12, 2007

nuklear fizzicist

Joramun posted:

Avicii's newest. I predict that this is going to be the We Found Love of 2013, and blow up just as big worldwide as that song did back in 2011.

I love what Avicii is doing. it's on a whole different level (or Levels ahahahaha) from what other pop-house producers have been putting out.

The new single by The Sounds isn't my favorite by them, but it's really growing on me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7TGk9hjcbI

Between Pet Shop Boys, The Sounds, Avicii, Florrie, Tiesto, and Gaga, the back half of this year should be amazing. Be nice if one of them besides PSB would actually give us a release date though.

Christmas Jones
Apr 12, 2007

nuklear fizzicist

Biggest human being Ever posted:

It's okay but it's no Fire or Hope You're Happy Now, that's for sure

The Sounds are one of my favorite bands, but I don't think they'll ever top their first album either. I love it from start to finish. The good news is that I think every album since then has had at least a couple stand out tracks, like "Hurt You" or "Midnight Sun" or "Dance With the Devil."

Christmas Jones
Apr 12, 2007

nuklear fizzicist

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Grammy Nominations suck this year. Nothing for Icona Pop or Pet Shop Boys or Miley Cyrus or Ariana Grande. But hey at least Lorde and Robin Thicke got nominated for every drat thing they did.

(Also, does anyone actually listen to Sara Barielles? All of her music just screams "grocery store playlist" to me.)

What is the appeal of Robin Thicke? I normally think I'm pretty open-minded in the sense that I can say "I hate this, but I see why other people like it." But I don't get why people enjoy him or his music.

Christmas Jones
Apr 12, 2007

nuklear fizzicist
You will remember this post, when I appeared to you, even though no one will believe you and you will begin to doubt yourselves. Scientists will admit there's a possibility I exist, but they'll mock the guy who goes out into the woods hoping to catch a glimpse of me. You might think I'm a troll or an impostor no matter what evidence I provide, or at least you'll tell yourselves that to maintain your sanity.

I am the person who wasn't a big fan of Born This Way, but loving loves Artpop.

Christmas Jones
Apr 12, 2007

nuklear fizzicist

the truth posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a thread full of snowflakes like you somewhere in this subforum.

Is it a Gaga fan thread? Those don't count.

edit: And by that I mean that when I'm trying to figure out why my tastes in this instance differ so greatly from critics and general music fans, I'm not going to consider people who think everything the artist does is wonderful no matter what.

Christmas Jones fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 16, 2014

Christmas Jones
Apr 12, 2007

nuklear fizzicist

PUGGERNAUT posted:

For me, all of the sons on BTW were okay/good, nothing spectacular. Artpop was very hit or miss, but the songs I liked were GREAT. (Dope is so underrated)

Dope is definitely my favorite of the Gaga ballads.

If I had to point out something I thought was weak about the album, I'd say some of the lyrical metaphors (G.U.Y.) were tortured to the point of embarrassment. Not Venus though, Venus rocks. It's probably not the best choice for a mainstream single, though. And I thought that the pure desperation oozing from Applause worked in its favor, making it more relatable and dark rather than self-congratulatory and solipsistic (like it's constantly accused of).

I think with how big Gaga was, the story was always going to be her downfall. No one can maintain that high a level of acclaim and popularity indefinitely. I wonder if Adele will face a similar backlash, or if her absence and much pleasanter persona will let her keep the public's goodwill.

Christmas Jones
Apr 12, 2007

nuklear fizzicist
When I think of a current male pop singer, I actually think of Ryan Tedder. His band is barely rock, he's constantly guesting on EDM tracks, and he got his start doing some forgotten contest for MTV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christmas Jones
Apr 12, 2007

nuklear fizzicist
I have missed Lily Allen terribly. "It's Not Fair" is still my jams. I'm glad that the trickle of new music from her is picking up.