Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

The MSJ posted:

She actually had a song that addressed her haters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OxWD85Ngz4

RB is awesome. "Sing It" is probably her best song. The stuff she did with funny or die a few years ago shows that she didn't take any of the ridiculous outrage over her song that seriously, which is kind of a big deal for a seventh grader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

The MSJ posted:

Mr. Flunchy posted:

What would happen if she beat Mariah Carey?
Another seal will be broken?

Seriously.

Nothing will change the fact that Mariah has more raw musical talent than anyone else who has ever graced pop charts that I can think of, and she wrote or legitimately cowrote the vast majority of her songs. I'm not even a big fan, but I have respect for her. Her voice is still insane, too.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Spiteski posted:

Still drives me insane the way she em-pha-si-ses that word. To me, it just sounds so... aggravating.

Same. I can't even listen to it for that reason.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

There aren't five great songs, maybe two (XO and Pretty Hurts).

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Wow. Me gusta.

edit: National Anthem holy poo poo (the first one - at first I was thinking, "What song is this?")

edit 2: Is it possible to legally obtain this in at least 192?

the truth fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jan 6, 2014

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Yeah, I tracked down versions that weren't sped up. I hope she uses some of this sound in Ultra Violence.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Omi-Polari posted:

Yeah.

I'm super pumped for this below. Song landed late last month but the album is due in February.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOboa27SHDE

Is there no way to buy the song in America? I want to pay money for this.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

After getting hooked on the song posted in this thread I listened to a bunch of her old stuff and Perfect Stranger was the only one that did anything for me.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

It seems like Crying For No Reason was only released in the UK, unfortunately.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I'm pretty sure there's a thread full of snowflakes like you somewhere in this subforum.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

They look like some kind of hipster wet dream.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

Is there a thread for music that is popular that people like with no other criteria?

This thread. I don't think anyone was trying to scare you off, but I can only speak for myself. I didn't see your second post before you edited it.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I listened to Katy B's Little Red a few times with ear buds and just now am getting a chance to sit down at home and enjoy it with my Bose headphones. It's like listening to it for the first time all over again. The standout tracks for me are "Crying For No Reason" and "Still." I know the house/dance stuff is her niche, but those songs are more lyrical and show off her voice.

Didn't see her "Drunk In Love" cover posted yet, either: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKIf5C5xshU

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Mariah's album should actually finally be done, too.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

General consensus is that it is either Mariah or Lana Del Rey, but Mariah's album won't be much of a surprise because anyone who cares knows that it's been "done" for ages. Aside from a couple recent leaks from LDR, her album would be a surprise but not nearly as major as someone like Beyonce popping out a brand new secret video album while touring.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Mariah Carey's new album, "Me. I Am Mariah… The Elusive Chanteuse," is coming out May 27.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

She also did a photo shoot with everyone's favorite photographer: Terry Richardson.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Wasn't "The Art Of Letting Go" supposed to be the name of the album for a hot minute? The single had the same swimsuit and sunset on the cover as the final album, but now it's reduced to being a bonus track on the deluxe version of the album.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

She was in the studio last month to record new stuff for the American release of Alive. Harder We Fall, I Miss Her, and Thunder were great, and the solo version of Wild was an improvement.

the truth fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 6, 2014

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Fighting words: from her voice to her writing (p sure she writes all of her own songs, including hits for others such as Miley's Party In The USA), I think Jessie J has more raw musicality than any other new female pop artist in the past decade. She seems receptive to fan feedback which will help her have middling success in America for another album or two, but I don't think she has another song that sounds like Do It Like A Dude. Her biggest fault (probably not her choice) is that the "official" songs on her youtube have the tempo or pitch slightly altered. It's 2014... wtf is that?

Watch out for It's My Party, the first song on Alive. It's in ilk of recycled Kelly Clarkson schlock.

edit: She also had a song with David Guetta, Repeat, and the main song for the movie Silver Lining's Playback, called Crazy About You or something like that.

the truth fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 6, 2014

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Not feeling West Coast at all. It doesn't go anywhere. It sounds a lot like Gods & Monsters from her Paradise EP, especially the part around 1:30.

Sia's new video for Chandelier is good, and if you have seen Dance Moms you'll probably recognize the star. I was kind of creeped out for a second when she first runs into the room because I thought she was naked :stonk:.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

PUGGERNAUT posted:

The new Cher Lloyd CD is surprisingly good. Sirens would probably be a massive hit, I hope it's a single. I only liked two songs on her debut (Beautiful People and Superhero) but this one is solid the whole way through.

I was surprised by how much I liked (loved?) her first album, so I'll give the new one a shot. If you liked her ballad voice in Beautiful People, then try to track down the studio version of Stay. I hope she releases another song that I like more, but I don't think she can.

edit: The American Sticks & Stones also has With Your Love without the nasal rap bridge and Behind The Music. Can't get enough of her brand of white teen girl rap.

edit2: Of note, Riot! also features a full key change in the last chorus. I don't think Cher Lloyd even knows what that means, but it was a nice touch and was a nice way to close the album.

edit3: Just listened to the new album. It's not as good as the first one, but it has some nice songs and is overall significantly more lyrical. Sirens and Bind Your Love stand out.

the truth fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 29, 2014

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I've listened to the new Cher Lloyd album some more and it has grown on me. I don't know if I like it more than her first album because they sound so different. The original album had several tracks that grabbed me on the first listen, but the rest still don't do anything for me. Aside from overall vocal style, the production sounds different, but I like them both equally. Her voice has improved significantly.

If I could change just one thing, it would be how Bind Your Love ends.

the truth fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 29, 2014

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Right now I'm 0/3 in liking stuff from LDR's Ultraviolence. It's all just dulcet moans just barely above sing-talk that goes nowhere lyrically, musically (Shades of Cool isn't guilty of this), or emotionally. What a disappointment.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

She kills it on Still, too. (Katy B chat)

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I said come in! posted:

No, that's really her thing and I can understand that it's not going to appeal to everyone. It's especially true in her new album Ultraviolence. She has said in interviews her singing reflects her emotional state, so her songs are pretty personal pieces.

That doesn't make her special.

Hopefully the rest of the album doesn't put me to sleep.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I'm halfway through the main part of Ultraviolence (not including bonus tracks - just the core album) and think it sounds better as a whole than as a gaggle of promo singles. It might be good for traffic jams, but I haven't heard anything that really grabs me like a handful of songs on Born To Die did.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Are you friends on facebook or do you just search for her profile several times a week/day and copy all of her new profile pics to a folder on your computer called, "Tax stuff"?

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Does Charlie XCX get fat when she grows up?

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

On the topic of Asian pop, I'm watching "Blush" right now at a street festival in Chicago and they are killing it.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I'm jealous! i love them.

You should try to see one of their shows or catch them at a street festival - I was front row with virtually no effort. It was a 45ish minute set and they attracted quite a crowd once things got going. It was a polished performance. The Filipina and Indian girl were the best vocally, but the hip hop girl (Japanese?) was great at what she did and had good energy. The tall, pretty one was tall and pretty. They said they live in LA now and are working on crossing over.

Charice is on the same stage today.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Holy poo poo, Charice. The little girl who used to belt out Celine songs like nobody's business is now gyrating across the stage in a denim jacket while badly lip synching to hip hop songs. There were times when I could actually hear her and she sounded good, but overall I was significantly disappointed.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Not sure if this is the correct thread or if it should go in the rap thread, but I finally got around to listening to Angel Haze's album and I'm disappointed in myself for waiting so long. She is ferocious, versatile, and apparently dating Alec Baldwin's daughter.

edit: here's an acoustic lyrical version of her single from earlier in the year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obx9n1e7rMc

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

juniperjones posted:

Plus her VOICE. And the loving album was recorded LIVE. That's insane. Who does that!? Who even could?

Jessie J. Lea Michele. Mariah. Celine. Barbra.

LDR has good tone, but her range is limited and her voice is weak. Neither have stopped her from putting out a couple of good songs, though.

the truth fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 13, 2014

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Speaking of Jessie J, her new album just came out. I'm 2/3 through my first listen and it has a different sound compared to her earlier stuff. She is more restrained.

edit: just hit the bonus tracks, which she wrote, and it sounds like Jessie J.

edit2: holy poo poo, the last song is called "You Don't Really Know Me," and she says a bunch that she's not really being herself. Maybe reading between the lines too much, but this seems to me like a completely un-subtle nod to the fact that she is doing what ever the record label wants because last time she did things her way, her album wasn't released in America. This album doesn't sound bad, it just doesn't always sound like Jessie J and is frequently quite repetitive lyrically. The first bonus track, "You Loss I'm Found," is more in line with the sound I was expecting.

Her voice is still incredible. Inimitable.

the truth fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 14, 2014

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Doing a first listen when you are exhausted is not a good idea. Sweet Talker is great.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Looking forward to her third album, that's for sure. There is a lot of talent buried under the autotune and fake personality.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Stalins Moustache posted:

In my opinion, she still has one of the world's best pop songs ever. It's just so timeless. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGwZ7MNtBFU

I knew what the song was before I clicked the link.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Jessie J owns and I'm glad her album cracked the top 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

That's nice. Has anyone done anything cool with Kesha's "Hungover"?