Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I love pop music, especially 80s pop. Legit good stuff like Jackson or Blondie and one hit wonder synth trash like Japanese Boy are all awesome to me.

But I'm curious if anyone remembers Laura Branigan? Or, since I'm only 30 and really just know of her thanks to GTA Vice City, does anybody simply know of her? Most of her hits were covers so it's interesting to me as an American to meet Europeans who are like "yeah I know that song but from the Italian version."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=355Fk8drgZE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nw-V5eEeAk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D__PKJ-4w-0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

Fun fact: Laura Branigan recorded the original version of "How Am I Supposed To Live Without You" which was Michael Bolton's first hit as a songwriter and subsequently set him on the course that brought him to his own career as a pop star.

Yep. Her version was better, too.

I think she also had the best version of The Power of Love.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvGWZm34Ct8

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

I loving love Laura Branigan, I had a big 80s flashback a few years ago and was only listening to 80s pop all winter. I found her through Gloria, just as a generally known pop song of the era, and checked out the rest of her stuff from there. I had a huge moment with this song, specifically: https://youtu.be/tV7IDFqAcag
Something about that chorus :allears: the whole album this comes from is great, too. But yeah, I'm 29 so this song came out like 3 years before i was born.

She just has a really great voice and it's a shame she doesn't get more recognition.

Absolutely agreed. Her voice is just unforgettable.

Any other 80s acts you have a special interest in and looked up the rest of their stuff?

As I said, GTA Vice City introduced me to many groups and I love them all because I just love the 80s but the only ones I took a special interest in are Laura, Blondie, The Human League (bit of a guilty pleasure but the three of them are cool people) and recently I've wanted to get more into Pet Shop Boys.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

One more quick old pop question.

Does anybody here know Sandra? Wiki says she was a huge star but I barely meet anybody who knows who she is.

https://youtu.be/l1DIV8V_zwQ
https://youtu.be/bqICGrdLGIc

Before her solo career she was part of a Euro disco group called Arabesque which is similarly forgotten...outside of Russia. For some reason, I've found collections of their albums being sold from the Russian Federation and a lot of comments on YT on their songs are in Russian. Oh and Japan. Japan loves their European pop queens.
https://youtu.be/4nNpxpZxMWQ

Lazlo Nibble posted:

I envy you getting to tackle the PSB’s back catalog for the first time, because it’s a hell of a ride.

Do you have any specific albums you would recommend? Always hard to know where to get started with a group.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

Wow, thanks for this. I'm making a mostly italodisco playlist and Sandra is perfect. Loved the cover of Everlasting Love. She almost has a Kate Bush Goes To The Disco vibe, especially some of her facial expressions. Dang 80s europop is so good.

Glad I could help! I learned of Italo Disco, again, thanks to Grand Theft Auto although this time it was Liberty City Stories. Wiki told me its radio station Flashback FM was mostly Italo Disco and I really liked that radio station so I looked up more of the stuff and found Sandra.

80s Europop is indeed the best. Well, I love all 80s pop, European and otherwise. I do prefer Italo Disco to our American version though.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

coming from someone with just a list of Billboard top albums and very little knowledge about relative heaviness of bands because metal/rock isn't exactly my bag...

Disturbed has multiple, Slipknot has multiple, Metallica has had multiple, Avenged Sevenfold is listed as a heavy metal band on Wikipedia and they have a few, Godsmack sounds like a metal band name and they had a few, also Tool, Marilyn Manson, Audioslave, NIN, Rage against the Machine, Korn... I'll let you decide which of them is heaviest (or if none of them are close to Skid Row/Pantera)

nothing from the 1980s, there were less albums reaching the top slot during that decade because the really really popular albums would stay there for weeks upon weeks (hey Thriller), in more recent years there's a lot more turnover as you get one big week and then the next week it's something else, and staying for more than a week is rare unless you're like, Adele, Taylor Swift or Drake. So bands like Disturbed and Slipknot can get to the top for a week off the back of their devoted fanbase.

Godsmack was sort of a Nu Metal band is how I see them described now? But I listened to them when I was a teen and they didn't really rap that I can recall.

In any event they weren't particularly "heavy," just a rock band.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I don't listen to much modern pop be sides Katy Perry actually. Is she hated even in the pop thread?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sorry my love of the 80s hit and I was listening to Human League's "Don't You Want Me" and while also reading some top comments I saw this interesting one:

quote:

The 1980's Songs for Stalkers! "The Human League - Don't You Want Me", "Falco - Jeanny",
"The Police - Every Breath you Take" and "Sting - Wrapped around your finger",
" Rockwell - Somebody's Watching Me", "Blondie - One Way or Another'", "Hall & Oats - Private Eyes"
Are there more?

I instantly thought of Animotion's Obsession.

Any others?

Also Debbie Harry still looks and sounds amazing. This is a few years old now but drat.
https://youtu.be/KPaXy3T50Lw

Her hair is still so beautiful unlike poor Phil Oakey who had to cut his lovely hair.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Does Pop Punk go here or not? Pop Punk would be stuff like Avril Lavigne and Offspring, right?

I just wonder what "regular" Punk thinks of it. I don't think I've ever really listened to the OG punk bands but my vague impression is they were a bunch of angry Leftists screaming about authority and capitalism. Not really compatible with the kind of stuff Avril did.

Don't really care though. Love Complicated.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The REAL Goobusters posted:

There’s been a pop punk resurgence recently. People nostalgic for it these days

Anything good you or others might recommend?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

When Pigs Cry posted:

The Charly Bliss record that dropped a few weeks ago is honestly is probably poppy enough that it belongs here

I like them from what I just found. I prefer female vocalists in general.

Thank you. I haven't found a new artist I'm into for many, many years, mostly because I just don't listen to much contemporary music.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Best Song of 2019 by my reckoning.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So is Katy Perry considered old person music at this point? She's the last pop star I really followed.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I wasn't trying to insult Katy and say she's "washed up." I was more talking about how I'm totally out of touch because she's the last pop star I know anything about and she broke into the scene over ten years ago now. That's ancient history as far as these things go.

But I am nothing if not a nostalgic person so I'll always enjoy her. I just wondered if younger people even listened to her anymore or if they got new megastars to clamber over.

Deformed Church posted:

She's not old person music, but I think her musical style changed in a way people didn't really care for, and she just totally lost momentum. Teenage Dream had five #1s and a #3 (plus another #1 and a #2 on the re-issue). Then Prism was promoted as a darker album and then didn't really deliver that which left it confused, and frankly the actual song quality wasn't great either (two #1s and nothing else broke the top 10). Dark Horse (apparently her biggest single ever) was overpromoted and wasn't really representative of the whole thing which didn't help. Then she disappeared for a while and came back with Witness, which was just kind of a disaster. She promoted it very weirdly (72 hour live stream including a therapy session???), changed her look (which she should be free to do, but you can't deny her appearance was a key part of her branding), and also the songs weren't particularly good or what people wanted by 2017.

She had a basically unsustainable level of success then lost momentum harder than anyone could have predicted, with a mixture of dodgy branding decisions and music that wasn't really as good.

For what it's worth, her new stuff is pretty good and you should stream Daisies.

I'll be sure to do that, thanks.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 18, 2020

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

Teenage Dream was pretty much the perfect album at the perfect time and its success was too big for anyone to follow IMO.

I mean, 5 #1s and they left Hummingbird Heartbeat on the table.

The problem was they launched straight into Prism and it was totally different so it threw people off. If they’d chilled out for a while after the extended edition of Teenage Dream, I think it would’ve been better received but the label got greedy.

Birthday is a bop though.

Maybe it's because I never listened to any of her stuff when it was brand new but I've loved all her work. Teenage Dream was absolutely the best, though.

It's interesting to see how the reception of "I Kissed A Girl" has changed, though. I thought it be sorta problematic as some people were calling it that even ten years ago. But it looks like a lot of LGBTQ folks still love it. I mean, it's not really that surprising. LGBT kids love pop music as much as anyone else and the kids of yesterday who grew up with Katy have two reasons to have a special attachment to that song.

Also t.A.T.u. has been forgotten but I'll never forget how I first heard one of their songs long before I had any clue who they were because it was Victoria's theme in the WWE.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4zrvpOM_50

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Oh yeah, I still love t.A.T.u. as well.

Outer Space being my favorite song of theirs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI8Ivl60cvQ

I'm just not sure what their legacy will be or if younger people even know of them.drat shame if not.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Not sure where to post this rambly thought but I was just looking at Blondie concert from last year and I was reflecting on how I like a lot of old music. This was just a novel thing when I was younger. My grandma got me into Sinatra, my mom and uncle got me into 60s rock, and I just had a natural affinity for the 80s. But as I get older so obviously does the music that was already "old" even when I was young and at least some of the artists I loved since my teenage years are still performing. Others like Tom Petty are no longer with us.

Pro-wrestling fan here and the business is not kind to older wrestlers. It's ironic that the "rock 'n' roll lifestyle" claims less lives than pro-wrestling used to as a lot of these music artists at least lived to a decent age. But my point is just that I hope these old groups and artists who are still touring do it because they love their fans and not because they're flat broke.

I remember Phil Oakey of The Human League talking about how all those hits they had and all that money they made was just...gone.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 2, 2020

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I think my first post ever in here was on 80s Pop because that's mainly what I listen to. I talked about Sandra a bit because love her music, but recently been addicted to her previous act, Arabesque, a 70s Euro Disco trio.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2HFKEVFDJU

My fave song of theirs right now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFUMCFZONAE

Anybody else here like Euro Disco? Recommendations?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Is Avril Lavigne's new album worth a listen? She's one of the few artists I've consistently listened to since I was a teenager a billion years ago.

(I know she's Pop but her Pop is very different from other Pop I like.... Granted, I don't really understand the technicalities of music. I think Pop is defined by the use of a few simple chords or notes or something? Not sure how that produces such wildly different music but oh well.)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I don't think I've ever listened to a vinyl record. I grew up when cassettes were still a thing but even my grandmother had no problem listening to Frankie on newer hardware. It's not like anyone is bringing back cassettes for limited editions.

But I'm seeing so many things I like lately coming out with special Vinyl versions. From Avril to a fuckin' video game I adore called Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne. it's making me wonder if I should buy a record player or something.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 18, 2022

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Vinyl has been back for a pretty darn long time now

I know but I never paid any attention to it because nothing I wanted was Vinyl.

I figured it was just a dumb thing for hipsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

BigFactory posted:

This isn’t remotely true either

Now this I've never heard of at all.

Sir Lemming posted:

Yeah and I have to say that's my limit -- the recent trend of limited edition cassettes absolutely is strictly a hipster thing. Cassettes truly have no advantage over CDs. Whereas at least a fresh vinyl, if it's done properly, can be a pretty great-sounding analog presentation and may have better mastering and whatnot. If a cassette hits someone's nostalgia buttons I'm not gonna knock them for it, but I just hope nobody's kidding themselves. It's strictly merch.

And I agree with this that it's unfathomable why anybody would bother.

My original post was musing about maybe there's some value to vinyl records besides being a collector but I can't say since I've never heard one. But I have heard cassettes and they are a relic for a reason.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 18, 2022