Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
As someone who listens to a fair bit of electronic music, the ubiquity of it in the charts these days draws mixed emotions from me. On one hand, I hate the recent trend of 'electronic bands' who are set up like pop/rock bands but it feels like they're trying too hard to force electronic elements into their music just so they get airplay. Tracks like Chasing The Sun by the aforementioned Wanted are what I'm on about. Though to be fair they don't have a lot of choice - if you look at the UK Top 40 there's about three artists you could consider "bands" in there, it's not a popular style right now.

On the other hand, there's a growing number of tracks being released that have vague 90s influences that wouldn't have got a look in back in the day but are capitalising on the growth of the genre. B Traits - Fever is a big example from last year, but I've also been hearing tracks recently like If You're Never Gonna Move by Jessie Ware, which I believe was produced by Julio Bashmore, and White Noise by Disclosure which are rather tickling my fancy.

Just as a NB, I think this sums up chart music quite nicely. Have a look at that top 40 chart I linked earlier, and check out what's currently #29:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_6jDPTokXs

As a big drum & bass listener I'll happily say this is utter shite, but the thing is it made its way into the charts because of one of those Youtube 'superstars' who apparently uses the track a lot in his videos. I don't listen to many radio stations but I've never heard it played out anywhere, so it just goes to show how much of an influence the Internet has on music nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

I'm veering dangerously close to being 'that guy', but can someone explain the appeal of Blurred Lines by Robin Thicke to me? It's topped the charts, and practically everyone I know (young and old alike) loves it, but I really don't get it. And yes, they like the song itself, not the video, though the top rated Youtube comment by Aj MacConville is rather amusing.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Hi, can someone please tell DJ Fresh to come home soon? He's not taken his medication in a while and I'm worried about what he might do. Thanks.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

In "doing the radio rounds" news, we have... this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdemFfbS5H0

Clever piss-take or anthem for a generation? You decide.