Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
It's pretty depressing looking at Maroon 5 now. Songs about Jane wasn't GREAT but it at least had some level of uniqueness between songs and Sunday Morning is a drat good song. Now they're releasing some of the worst stuff in music right now. Payphone is loving atrocious and One More Night is such a bland mess of ugly that I can't stand more than 5 seconds of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Tired Moritz posted:

Bruno Mars's voice is weird.

It really doesn't help that he's chosen to do a lot of really aching ballad songs that sort of accentuates how weird it is. He really doesn't have the vocals for songs like Grenade or others like it, he needs to stick with stuff like Locked out of Heaven.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Really the only time I suppose you could feel guilty about liking music is if it's by someone like Chris Brown or Gary Glitter, but even then you should be able to separate the work from the artist.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

prahanormal posted:

I don't really see how anyone could justify listening to Chris Brown, even if we ignore how lovely of a person he is.

Forever is a legit good, fun, feel good song. That's also all I really enjoy from him.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I'm most curious about the fate of the new wave of British boy bands. What's the going thought on their staying power ? About a year or two?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Metal Loaf posted:

There's been much talk of a "boy band revival" but in actual fact it's more a case of One Direction becoming immensely popular while happening to be a boy band. The Wanted have achieved one significant hit on the Hot 100 so far; I think much will depend on how well their next release fares.

I get the impression that One Direction aren't really as big as we're supposed to think they are. While their albums have been pretty successful considering the sales climate (still barely a tenth of what the Backstreet Boys and *NSYNC could do ten years ago) their singles beyond "What Makes You Beautiful" haven't doing quite as well as one might expect of the sort of act they are. Their second American single ("One Thing") stalled in the lower reaches of the Top 40, but this might have been because Syco wanted to gear up for their second album and didn't want to promote another single. However, although "Live While We're Young" actually broke a digital sales record in its first week of release, it dropped out of the Top 10 in its second and then plummeted out of the Top 40 in its third. The follow-up (the Ed Sheeran-penned ballad "Little Things") was touted as a megahit, but it only scraped into the bottom half of the Top 40 and its on its way out of the Hot 100 at the moment.

At this point, it's probably better to speculate which one of them will have the most success when they go solo than it is to debate the future prospects of the group. Even on that front, the prospects seem difficult to determine.

It's strange because it feels like a bit of the Justin Bieber thing in that they feel like they're supposed to be on top of the charts constantly, but they just have a hugely dedicated fan base. I don't HATE One Direction, but god drat Thats What Makes You Beautiful is a loving bad song. The Wanted at least have a fun "Yeah we're a flash in the pan, but at least we're going to have fun" while OD are just bland bland bland.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I can't see Call Me Maybe winning anything. It was a fad song. Carley Rae does have a surprisingly nice voice, but the song was the butt of way too many jokes for it to win and not look like a huge joke. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ocean take Album of the Year though, onyl problem is whether or not he fades away though what with his recent talk about taking a two year trip to a remote area to make the new album. Will people still care after that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Metal Loaf posted:

"Thrift Shop" is number one in America for a fourth consecutive week and it shows no signs of slowing down. It's not yet clear if this will be a hit of the same magnitude as "Somebody That I Used To Know" was in 2012, but at this point there's no reason it couldn't be. There seems to be a distinct lack of serious competition; perhaps Taylor Swift could dethrone them if her label released "I Knew You Were Trouble" to streaming outlets, but that isn't going to happen any time soon.

My major problem and maybe I'm alone is that I can barely hear the guy in the song. I think his beat is just a little too load and it drowns him out.