Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
I love Sara Bareilles. :( Once you get past "Love Song" you find a lot of variety, wonderful lyrics, and an amazing voice. And she's got a great sense of humor.

For starters, this song from her latest album, Hercules, doesn't really strike me as 'grocery music'. And for something that sounds completely different from the same album, there's also Islands. And one of her earliest songs, City, really made me sit up and pay attention when I was listening to her first album (because of Love Song) on Spotify. It made me a fan, and I only really discovered it this August. So yeah, that's why I'm hoping she wins Album of the Year. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

the truth posted:

RB is awesome. "Sing It" is probably her best song. The stuff she did with funny or die a few years ago shows that she didn't take any of the ridiculous outrage over her song that seriously, which is kind of a big deal for a seventh grader.

And also kinda amazing, because god knows what sort of hate mail she got. She commented on the 'go die' ones, but I'm pretty sure she got much, much, much worse ones than that.
I sorta like "My Moment" a lot, for some reason. The chorus works?

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
I recently went to see Sara Bareilles at the Greek Theatre in Berkeley. She was absolutely amazing. :)
(Some links to a couple of the performances).

The new Taylor Swift song was a bit strange to listen to, even after the more pop-ish songs on RED, but the chorus is really catchy.

kurona_bright fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 20, 2014

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
It got leaked. :v:

Blank Space is amazing, btw.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Yeah, the album's pretty awesome. I was worried about repetitive choruses because of the pre-release tracks, but "Blank Space" shot those fears down with a silver bullet. Also, "Clean" is maybe the most depressing song Taylor Swift has ever written.

More thoughts: people really hate "Bad Blood," but I'm okay with it. I really like the bridge, but I can freely admit that listening to it over and over would be really grating. "Shake it Off" sounds so out of place on this album, haha.

Here's an in-depth review of it I really like: http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=3711328

How come we don't have a separate thread for her, anyways? She's only one of the biggest musicians in the industry at the moment.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
I feel like Clean indicates that she doesn't even want a relationship right now.
"10 months sober / I must admit / Just because you're clean don't mean you don't miss it. / 10 months older / I won't give in / Now that I'm clean / I'm never going to risk it"

Some songs are about Harry Styles, but yeah, I think some of the other ones are based off an idea.

Edit: But her earlier songs are definitely based off of relationships. Back to December, Dear John, All Too Well, Never Getting Back Together, Teardrops on My Guitar... She definitely writes a lot about real people on previous albums. This one not so much.
I find it a bit strange for her songs to be called general, since the lyrics can be incredibly specific at times. "So here we are again / In the middle of the night / We're dancing round the kitchen in the refrigerator light" .

kurona_bright fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 30, 2014

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

Yoshifan823 posted:

I feel like Taylor's "club music" would either be incredibly un-genuine, or be entirely about baking cookies and petting kittens. If I want awesome "I want to party, drink, and gently caress people" music, I'll listen to Ke$ha, because she's way better at that.

What do you think '22' is about? I've seen several people note how similar it is to Ke$ha's stuff.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

Yoshifan823 posted:

I mean, it is, and I like the song well enough, but it's not what she does best.

Fair enough. :)

'This Love' is really soothing to listen to. It makes me think of ocean waves.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
There are horses in the bedroom. :stare:

kurona_bright fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 11, 2014

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

QuantumNinja posted:

SNL did a pretty good skit about Taylor Swift's new album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAhAz7JU0dg

I really like how Blank Stare is about how she's a disaster of a girlfriend, which is a funny revision of her previous reputation for making songs about how she's always having her heart broken.

Blank Space is a send-up of how the media portrays her (Horses in the bedroom? A doe standing by while she cries by the fireplace?). It literally began as a joke and if you're taking it seriously, you're missing the point. :colbert:

kurona_bright fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Nov 11, 2014

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

bubblelubble posted:

I think you kind of missed the point, in that Taylor is making fun of the media's portrayal of her. This song screams OTT from the get-go.

But man, I'm generally not into any of the MTV awards shows, but if the Blank Space video doesn't get some kind of recognition, I'm going to be moderately to extremely disappointed. This video was the poo poo.

I can't decide which sections are my favorite - the smirk after eating the candy heart, her super-dramatic :nyd:, or the guy's lip-synced "Oh my god!" (btw, guy is incredibly easy on the eyes). :allears:

On a non-Taylor note, I really like the pre-chorus (is that what you call it) in this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhRXldOsMXY .

He said "If I could tell you one thing I would tell you this/
There's only one mistake that I have made/
It's giving up the music in my fingertips/
By trying to get to heaven through my veins."

EDIT:
Just put on Elton John's latest album. Holy gently caress how is this guy still putting out such great songs.

kurona_bright fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Nov 12, 2014

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

QuantumNinja posted:

Yes, which is why I used the operative word "funny" in my description of it. Her crying by the fireplace next to that deer almost as funny as her attacking that tree.

herp derp what is reading comprehension. :downs:
Sorry about that.

I'd like to recommend Sara Bareilles' latest record, The Blessed Unrest. Just give it one listen through - I feel like she's really underrated compared to the rest of the pop industry. And yeah, finished listening to that Elton John record I mentioned earlier, The Diving Board. Like the piano playing in it is so amazing, and the opening track is just so perfect. :allears:

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

bubblelubble posted:

I like her two previous albums better, Little Voice and Kaleidoscope Heart. "Send Me the Moon" and "Gravity" both make my heart quiver. And "King of Anything" makes me feel like a sassy yet classy bitch in a way that any of Taylor's "boys gtfo" songs couldn't.

If that's the case, what does 'Sweet rear end in a top hat' 'Sweet As Whole' make you feel like, then? :v:

But I agree, "King of Anything" has :iceburn: zingers.

But you expect me to/
jump up on board with you/
and ride off into your delusional sunset/

:sun:

Here's where I would make a really long effortpost, but I have to go study for a quiz tomorrow, so it'll be condensed.

"Manhattan" hits a lot of the same points that "Send Me the Moon" does, I feel. It's just a really awesome song, and I love the bridge. It's lovely.
"Gravity" may be the #1 best song she's written (not being sarcastic here), but "City" was the first song that made me sit up and listen. "Between the Lines" is also excellent.

Surprisingly, I really like Careful Confessions, even though the studio recording/stuffs can feel a little more demo-ish in comparison to Little Voice. "Undertow" may be the best song on the album that didn't make the jump. I waver on which version of "Come Round Soon" I like most, but the live version really shows off her voice the most.

Kaleidoscope Heart is also a Good Album, but the reason I recommended The Blessed Unrest is because 1) "Brave" is all over the place, 2) Grammy Award nomination might mean people will be more willing to try it out, and 3) the variety of the sounds in The Blessed Unrest - which I think is the reason why I like it more. It goes from Top 40s pop to stompy-sounding piano rock to lovely-ballad-that-you've-sworn-you've-heard-in-a-bar-before (even if you can't legally drink :v:) to the sappiest song Sara has ever recorded (I'll unfold before you/ What I've strung together/ the very first words/ of a life-long, love letter) to synth-ballads (and... what do you even call 'Eden', anyways?). The closer, "December" also has a bridge I adore:

Distill a whole year down into a day/
Act like we all start over with a pristine slate/
But to get yourself a new life you've got to give the other one away/
And I'm starting to believe in the power of a name/
Cause it can't be a mistake if I just call it change/

Oops, I effortposted anyways. :v:

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
I got the deluxe album for Christmas from my brother. :smug:

I think I like Wonderland more, though. But the beginning of the chorus is really great.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
The dixie chicks album got delayed. :(

At least they released another single, and it's a lot poppier than I was expecting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGxPeJto3U4

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
I really dig this album.

the last great american dynasty and exile really jumped out to me on first listen (also, gosh, my tears ricochet)

The back half didn't make as much of an impact on me, but I'm blaming that on my sleep deprivation. (mad woman and betty are exceptions, also illicit affairs and august and you know what nevermind)

hoax is a very interesting closer, especially when you consider how Lover ended on Daylight.

kurona_bright fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jul 24, 2020

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Gonna have to give it more time; I remember listening to folklore that first night and not really getting epiphany or peace (the former is one of my favorite songs from the album now). Standouts for me right now are 'champagne problems', 'no body, no crime', 'coney island', and the title track.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
It must've been me being tired last night but god marjorie is real good, how did I miss it yesterday

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

this!!!!!! I’ve never really been into Fearless but Speak Now is so good gently caress. I wonder what she’ll do with Better Than Revenge which has aged super badly

Better Than Revenge’s lyrics have aged badly but I like everything else about it

Taylor plz make a pop-punk album

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Okay, the below spoilers are what I think are production/mixing errors that I can't unhear (so if you don't want to hear them either, ignore them):
There's a high-pitched beep around 2:50 on Other Side of the Door that sounds completely out of place... I saw a Reddit comment about it, checked it out, and promptly wished I hadn't.
I also noticed something similar to this when she dropped Love Story -- her vocalizing around 2:32 gets cut off in this weird little clipped manner. I'm pretty sure I'm not imagining it. I've managed to ignore that one better, but the beep on Other Side of the Door is a lot more abrasive, and it's right before the best part of the song -- the way she sings those rush of words really managed to sell me on the song in a way the original didn't.

It's honestly really disappointing -- I love how her vocals sound (especially on 'Tell Me Why'), but these little technical hiccups just make me worried. Am I going to notice more of these things as I continue to listen to this? The rumor mill says she's trying to get through as many as possible this year, but if the first one has these kind of things that weren't on the original record... how're the last couple going to sound?

Regarding the vault tracks, Mr. Perfectly Fine is ridiculously catchy, but I feel like I'll probably get tired of it soon. I think my opinion of the rest improved significantly on a re-listen (same with most of the songs on evermore :v:). 'Don't You' and 'Bye Bye Baby' are the ones I think might stick with me more, and I still really like 'You All Over Me', especially that little synth at the beginning.

kurona_bright fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Apr 10, 2021

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
I definitely wish the balance of the album wasn't so tilted towards ballads, but there's some pretty good songs on here. I really like 'traitor' and '1 step forwards, 3 steps back' a lot, but I'll have to give it a little more time to see how I feel about it.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Apparently there’s a viral trend on tiktok that involves the song, so presumably she’s releasing this now so the old version doesn’t get streamed

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
I think right now my favorite thing is watching people react to the 'weee' in the chorus of the new WANEGBT
https://twitter.com/NoraPrinciotti/status/1459034283956441089

My general impression is that I'm positive on most of the vault tracks (the Chris Stapleton one not so much), I love the ATW extended cut -- it's messy, it's unfocused, but god some of her turns of phrase -- but for most of the tracks I would rather listen to the original recording (I don't think I would be able to tell the difference between the Begin Again recordings though).

I nitpicked some stuff from the Fearless re-recording that I thought sounded like editing errors, and while I only really have one for Red, it's in (the 5-minute) All Too Well at ~1:17 -- where she goes 'And I might be okay but I'm not...'

She's got a similar sort of vocal flip in the original recording at that line, but in this recording it just sounds unnatural to me. idk

kurona_bright fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 12, 2021

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
1. Evermore
2. Folklore
3. Speak Now
4. Lover
5. 1989
6. Red
7. Reputation
8. Fearless
9. Taylor Swift

I’m not definite yet, but Midnights (standard) ranks above Reputation and below Lover for me. 3am edition makes me put it equal/above Lover but probably below folklore

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
I’ll have to give that a listen then because I thought that this was really good! I found myself really liking Eat the Acid (hadn’t listened to any of the singles) and Hate Me Harder on first listen

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
I definitely like this core album more than Midnights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
fwiw I was thinking The Black Dog was a standout track when I heard it as a “deluxe” track so there’s that at least

I cannot really give my opinion on this second half right now but I think it’s more sonically varied?