Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

From her various hints, Prism might be subtly marking Katy's transition back to more overtly Christian Katy Hudson music. Any day now she'll pull an ICP and reveal that her whole pop personae were just devices to bring the heathen unbelievers back to the Lord(e).

Metal Loaf posted:

What's the quality of her live vocals like these days? Ever since I first saw this video, I don't think I've ever quite been able to give her a completely fair shake (I guess it was a little out of her range).

I take a perverse interest in her vocals--it's either like watching a drowning cat occasionally come up for air, or like following that losing sports team that makes everything more exciting when they actually manage to score. iHeartRadio was lousy, but the iTunes Festival was surprisingly good on the Katy scale; no AutoTune but lots of reverb.

Only Katy could create a song like this without a trace of irony, get on the stage on that dress, and just totally commit to it--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ_dgDgoua0

This is vastly better than the digitally smashed studio version; people don't like her Alanis Morissette warbles, but gently caress it, it's real, sort of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFV2nw7IcsE

No idea how she's going to pull off all the high notes on those new Prism tracks, but I guess "Walking on Air" on SNL was somewhat convincing, even with the playbacked chorus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

The Gasmask posted:

What's some stuff similar to Lorde? I can hear some light trip-hop influence, some electropop, but since I haven't listened to music like this in forever I'm not sure where to start. I love sparse arrangements with prominent vocals, if that's any help.
Lana Del Rey--"Tennis Court" in particular sounds quite a bit like "Born to Die."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP6qdC9IkEM

Also, Lana absolutely owns live; I don't know how many years it is going to take for the American press to admit they were wrong about her.

Mermaid Autopsy fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 17, 2013

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Metal Loaf posted:

She still hasn't lived down the SNL performance?

I mean, it was an absolutely dreadful performance, there's no denying that, but you'd think it'd be water under the bridge by now.

Lorde: Lana Del Rey without the irony http://www.listener.co.nz/culture/music/lorde-moves-in-mysterious-ways/

quote:

“When I wrote Royals, I was listening to a lot of rap, but also a lot of Lana Del Rey, because she’s obviously really hip-hop influenced, but all those references to expensive alcohol, beautiful clothes and beautiful cars – I was thinking, ‘This is so opulent, but it’s also bullshit.’”

"Lorde's 'Pure Heroine' Is the Album Lana Del Rey Wishes She Made"

quote:

To put it bluntly, Pure Heroine is the album that Lana Del Rey wishes she made. This isn't meant to provoke a debate about Del Rey's "authenticity" versus Lorde's — after all, all pop stars have cultivated personas, and where Del Rey is a trailer park Lolita, Lorde is the "realistic" pop star. However, where Born to Die was overproduced in places, layering echoes over strings over electronic beats, Pure Heroine's minimal production allows the songs to shine in a way that Del Rey's couldn't quite manage. Lorde also manages to make each song on her album distinct and unique, with which Del Rey had some trouble. Many of Lorde's songs are tinged with the same kind of longing found on Born to Die — which is probably a result of her being an actual teenager — but keeps it all from feeling one-note. It's almost as if Lorde took all of the things that were good from Del Rey's debut and fine-tuned them to create a better, more interesting result.

Damning with faint praise is the usual M.O. in the States--Lana's spacious arrangements are somehow "overproduced" in an age where Katy Perry is machine-assembled by teams of Swedish robots. And hey, Lana did Lolita in the hood before Miley did that horrendous "SMS (Bangerz)" track:

Tiny Mix Tapes is taking Lorde as another opportunity to dismiss her, with the strange admission that yes, "Summertime Sadness" is actually a good song. Or perhaps that "retroactive 5/5" should be taken seriously. At least he's a KatyCat.

Mermaid Autopsy fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 20, 2013

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

So far this is great and absolutely nothing like Teenage Dream. Legendary Lover gives me chills
I was wrong; Katy's persona is less Mary Magdalene and more Kali-Ma (tigers, roars, third eyes, Karma, etc.). "Roar" worked so well because the production sounds immense--"Legendary" and "Unconditional" could potentially sound much better live, without all the dynamic range compression. "This is How We Do" just makes me wish I was listening to "This is What Makes Us Girls" instead.

But this is a concept album about a failed marriage, albeit one where the tracks are not presented in sequence. Instead, we get 30 minutes of radio singles, followed by another 30 minutes of Katy Perry trying to find something real beneath the cotton candy and glitter; something Not Like the Movies. And well, it kind of works, if only as a sort of voyeuristic afterword to Part of Me. The Labyrinth-inspired video for "Wide Awake" was an interesting bit of self-criticism, insasmuch as it seemed to state, intentionally or not, that Katy's whole pop persona had turned her into a sort of soulless automaton, one desperately in need of rediscovering who she was. "I stood for nothing, so I fell for everything"--after establishing herself as a living billboard for Pepsi, Popchips, Citigroup and Proactiv, what does she stand for? The paradox is that the plastic pop queen is desperately looking for someone authentic. Her boys are Mannequins, and she just wishes they could be Real with her, only dimly aware that she is chasing shadows of her future self. On "It Takes Two," perhaps she has started to see it.

Alternate universe singles: "Love Me," "Spiritual"

Mermaid Autopsy fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 20, 2013

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Every one in a while, Katy does these (somewhat) stripped-down performances where she tries to prove that she can actually sing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQr_ZYq6yZk

Her wardrobe here seems to be half Zhora in Blade Runner, half Jennifer Connelly in The Rocketeer, perhaps hinting at a sort of electronic plasticity (more human than human)

Mermaid Autopsy fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 23, 2013

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Lana resurrexit !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEmC7fSSXgQ

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Praise the lord.

E - Lol

Lana is Hipster Jesus. She was crucified by her own people for violating their arcane authenticity laws, only to be resurrected more powerful than before in the hearts and minds of gentile teenage girls, easily converted from the false idols of Bieber and Ke$ha.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Metal Loaf posted:

It's doing well enough, but I think there's this perception that it's doing as well as a Lady Gaga album should, apparently (which strikes me as a bit unfair, but it seems inevitable these days; it'll show up when Adele's next album comes out and doesn't sell a bazillion copies on its first day of release).

I suppose the most relevant question you need to ask is how well it's doing in comparison to the Katy Perry album.
It's doing about as well as one could ever expect considering it's an impenetrable mess of headache-inducing EDM noise mashed together with high-camp cabaret celebrating a pop singer's love for drugs, fame, and the endless depths of her own pretentious narcissism. I mean, apparently the Little Monsters will still love it (because ARTPOP), but does anyone really expect the general public to when her popularity with them was founded entirely on hype? If it's "art," maybe she should wear her lack of commercial chart performance as a badge of honor.

Meanwhile, let us all play tiny violins for how badly "Unconditionally" is doing on the charts while Katy Perry cries into her mattress filled with money. At least the video was pretty.

Mermaid Autopsy fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 26, 2013

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Lord Krangdar posted:

Pretty much.

It's not narcissistic just because its more autobiographical than her previous work. She just followed that timeless, common bit of advice for writers; "write what you know".

"Gypsy" sounds like the most autobiographical track, and it's also probably one of her best songs. It would totally slay if she released it as a single (who thought "Venus" would've been a good idea?). But "Donatella"? "Fashion!"? If these are autobiographical (and I suspect they are--more than she would admit), then we have seen the girl behind the "Aura," and there is nothing underneath. She lives for the applause-plause, empty plays of fashion (her Artpop could mean anything) endlessly circling a nonexistent center. It becomes a casebook on Narcissistic Personality Distorder.

The public has given Gags a pass in the past because they thought she was making some grand meta-commentary on fame, but now they're not so sure. It's not "the idea of a pop musician taking their own work more seriously than their listeners" that irks people, but that the pop musician is trying to feed her listeners (and personality cult) pseudointellectual bullshit to mask the fact that she is just shoveling the same tired EDM at them and trying to call it art. It amounts to a another fashion statement--appropriating the visual style and mannerisms of real artists to create the illusion that there is meaning behind it all.

Mermaid Autopsy fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 26, 2013

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

MooCowlian posted:

Like, oh no, if I can't hate it for being a shallow cash grab, maybe it's narcissistic or she's playing her image up or, indeed, her fame is "entirely founded on hype".
Do we have to choose? She clearly contains multitudes. These are the essential contradictions (or disorders, perhaps) of her character; the need to not only rule the charts but to be perceived as an artistic genius.

Throughout it all, there is a unifying ethos behind Gaga's work that coalesces in her latest album; bury yourself in enough layers of fashionable obscurity to conceal the inner emptiness. Is this the admission of "Dope"? In truly postmodern fashion, if the art cannot be in the music, parade the images of art as if they speak to something meaningful, and let the audiences read into it their own profundities.

DominoDancing posted:

Most of the public don't even know what meta-commentary is. Apart from that I'm with HorseRenoir: This is not any more noisy or "headache-inducing" (oh please) than any of the other EDM in the charts, but it's certainly a lot more interesting. You ARE right that one probably shouldn't look to deep into the art aspect of her work, but I'd say it's definately there. At least to a much larger degree than with any other pop act on the charts right now.
Lana Del Rey (with an EDM track!) and her protegée Lorde (who doesn't even brickwall her poo poo) both had big hits on the charts this year, and both have a much more legitimate claim to the title of "art pop," I think.

The thought was definitely that Gaga was meta-trolling everyone; just look at the first few pages of the Gaga thread. Or see Lord Krangdar's post.

"Donatella" and "Fashion!" clearly speak to her current mindset. If we seek for depth in all of this, the subtext in her recent performances is that there is the "blonde" Gaga in a wig, veiling herself, and the "brunette" Stefani underneath it all--but this is why the conclusion of her narrative seems problematic, insasmuch as it says that she has chosen to retreat back into her constructed persona, one that is constantly seeking adoration and worship from her audience. The big, overtly fake blonde wigs she is now fond of wearing in public performance is as close to a real artistic statement that she has made; we are only allowed to see the externalized construct--"Do What U Want" with it.

Mermaid Autopsy fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 29, 2013

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

"I think" in an entirely subjective way; as in "I think" they are better lyricists and release better music.

Wandle Cax posted:

She's not at all, Lana del Rey was even one of the artists Lorde mentioned as being lyrically irrelevant, part of which inspired her own lyrics.

"Protegée" according to the media that constantly compare the two, as I posted earlier. I am not sure what she actually thinks about her (apparently Drake and Nicki Minaj are more important), other than that she was clearly listening to her.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

DominoDancing posted:

Yeah, and the Lana del Ray remix was brickwalled as well, while Lorde wasn't EDM. So...you didn't really refute my point?

You said: "At least to a much larger degree than with any other pop act on the charts right now." I mentioned people on the charts who could also be considered as fitting this category. And here everything derails endlessly into philosophical debates about Good Art and Bad Art and subjectivity and Platonic Ideas and the possibilities of apprehending an objective vision of the True and the Beautiful.

If you want to say it's an interesting slice of EDM on the charts, I won't try to argue. But apparently the Gaga fans in that thread had issues with the production, which may speak to the GP's perspective. But they were never much into art, anyways.

Wandle Cax posted:

"Protege" implies that they actually know each other and studied and worked together so it's not a very good word to use.

No, it isn't. It is more of a snarky joke referencing two pages ago.

Lord Krangdar posted:

What you're missing is that her need to hide behind a performance or character actually reveals a lot about her- the key is that she has created the character. That stuff isn't hiding "emptiness" (how could it be?), its hiding vulnerability. Her talking about that need is her telling us about herself and how she experiences the world. And its something I think everyone can relate to, to some extent.

I see what you are saying. The masks and disguises; the attachment to form; the definition of self by that which one creates. Arpop as lost humanity wandering through the cosmic tragedy, beautiful and awful.

Mermaid Autopsy fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 30, 2013

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Grammy Nominations suck this year. Nothing for Icona Pop or Pet Shop Boys or Miley Cyrus or Ariana Grande. But hey at least Lorde and Robin Thicke got nominated for every drat thing they did.

(Also, does anyone actually listen to Sara Barielles? All of her music just screams "grocery store playlist" to me.)
Ariana is a Mariah Carey tribute act at this point and Miley blighted the world with "SMS (Bangerz)" so this is understandable; "Applause" being entirely snubbed is a more notable sea change

"Young and Beautiful" vs. "Skyfall" is the showdown to watch of alt-popstars with "adel" in their names and matching tattoos

"Roar" vs. "Brave" for irony purposes

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Lord Krangdar posted:

Surprised nobody posted Lana Del Rey's new short film / triple music video Tropico:

Lana pursued a degree in Metaphysics, and this still seems to be what drives her, or at least she was moving back in that direction with Paradise. This is why Lorde completely missed the point by saying that Lana's lyrics were "unhealthy." "Gods and Monsters" as a microcosm of Born to Die seems to reveal here that they are meant to embody spiritual yearning, something profoundly uncool to discuss in 2013. "Body Electric" echoes the "Blue Jeans" video with the serpent and crocodiles.

And is the "Bel Air" segment meant to be an elaborate subversion of Katy Perry's "ET" video?

I am talking about her too much. Uhh, is anyone psyched for the John Mayer/Katy Perry video? Britney Jean? No? Okay.

Mermaid Autopsy fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Dec 8, 2013

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Irish Joe posted:

I swear every Lorde song was specifically designed to give me a headache. First it was the bass in The Royals, then the clapping in Team and now whatever that woo-woo thing is in her new single. I literally have the volume turned down so low that I can't hear her sing and the woo-wooing is still too drat loud.

Strange, I found the mastering to be very laid-back; it's not even brickwalled or anything. But I've accepted that everything these days is designed to sound good only when played at maximum volume on an iPhone.

fuseshock posted:

This is pretty funny. Oh Katy... her actual voice isn't too awful.

http://gawker.com/lip-sync-malfunction-forces-katy-perry-to-use-her-own-v-1485152636

The TV show was supposed to play an instrumental backing track, but played the regular CD version instead; she's been singing these same songs live on TV for months now

quote:

Katy Perry was singing live at the NRJ Awards saturdy night in Cannes, but regrettably the wrong mix has been played accidentally which over-rode Katy's live vocal feed on-air fat the beginning of her performance of “Roar”. TF1 & NRJ would like to apologize to NRJ double award winner Katy Perry for this technical problem beyond our control.

http://nrjmusicawards.nrj.fr/actus-4524/article/306363-communique.html

Don't ask me why I'm unironically defending her performances though

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qxWGmEtnSQ

Self-deprecating mic flub humor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eGe0KM7_D8

Damage-control acoustic for your inner housewife

Mermaid Autopsy fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 21, 2013

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Stalins Moustache posted:

So even though I know that, by now, it's somewhat old but I finally gave Lorde's album a listen.
It wasn't that I didn't like the album. I think it's rather good actually. I just forgot every song on it except Tennis Court, 400 Lux and A World Alone. But I can't help thinking that this album is what Lana Del Rey always wanted Born To Die to be, but considering that they are separate artists with completely different identities it's probably just a silly thought. But I am surprised. Lorde's got talent and I can't wait for her to make more music.

This was mentioned before ... "Lorde's 'Pure Heroine' Is the Album Lana Del Rey Wishes She Made"

"Lorde also manages to make each song on her album distinct and unique, with which Del Rey had some trouble.... It's almost as if Lorde took all of the things that were good from Del Rey's debut and fine-tuned them to create a better, more interesting result."

Here it's interesting to listen to the Born to Die demos, which have a very Pure Heroine sort of production. But clearly what Lana wanted to do is evoke the sound and aesthetic of 60's baroque pop, which is what the reviewers have entirely missed; Lorde didn't. So this article has it exactly backwards, I think; it is more like Lorde took away everything that was idiosyncratic and unique about BTD and replaced it with some fairly straightforward, pretty-good alternative pop music stripped of irony and nostalgia for a paradisaical Zep Tepi before any of her listeners were born, which was clearly easier to digest by the GP.

So clearly, the essential distinction, revealed in Tropico, is this: Lana is Eve in the red dress immersed in the world of flux and corruption seeking redemption, while Lorde is Mary inviolate in white, subsisting as an eternal hypostasis of the Godhead and in need of nothing.

I am sure Lorde is rather tired of all of these comparisons, though.

100 weeks on the Billboard 200 :patriot:

Mermaid Autopsy fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jan 6, 2014

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

FREE KE$HA

the truth posted:

Wow. Me gusta.

edit: National Anthem holy poo poo (the first one - at first I was thinking, "What song is this?")

edit 2: Is it possible to legally obtain this in at least 192?

That isn't a good representation because the tracks are sped up; high-quality versions are out there, both on YT and ... elsewhere. "Without You" is :angel:

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

The one on the Apple site doesn't seem to ever be updated right, probably because it doesn't include Explicit tracks

http://www.itunescharts.net/
http://kworb.net/
http://www.mediatraffic.de/

My only joy in life is checking on ARTPOP's current chart status

Mermaid Autopsy fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 14, 2014

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Here's 'West Coast' a new Lana Del Rey song.
Down on the West Coast they got a sayin': "gently caress all the critics in the N-Y-C"

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Avril Lavigne, like most has-been pop stars of a previous decade, is immensely, inexplicably popular in Japan. This isn't cultural appropriation; it's more like assimilation.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

It's Mariah; Billboard confirmed it (and thus spoiled the surprise, but who really cares about Mariah in 2014?) http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6069828/mariah-carey-secret-album-beyonce-billboard-cover-story

Lana doing it wouldn't make much sense; she casts a wide net. Her "West Coast" release has also been messy with Interscope remixing it and replacing the original track with a single/radio mix when it became a surprise hit.

Mermaid Autopsy fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 25, 2014

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Sounds like a new FYAD meme

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WZmxAWnrvE

Actually she is a sardonic, brooding sort of genius and this song in particular owns--more power to her for trying to break out of pop

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Lana's unreleased stuff is always way better than her studio stuff. Hollywood's Dead would be a massive hit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sbUnk_-XGE

Which is how this song came about, I guess . . .

Mermaid Autopsy fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 7, 2014

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Lana has to be one of the most genuinely interesting people around--or unique, anyways http://radio.com/2014/06/12/lana-del-rey-interview-maleficent-ultraviolence/

quote:

In your current cover story with The Fader, you talked about having a keen interest in science and technology.

I majored in metaphysics in college, that’s what I got my degree in. And the reason I chose that was because the Jesuits who were teaching that subject, they weren’t just theologians, they also had backgrounds in science. Obviously the quest for peace, the quest for knowledge of something bigger is…that’s the end game. That’s what I’m really interested in. But technology, I believe, is bringing us closer to maybe figuring out some of those questions, and I think we’ve really seen that in the last ten years. I’m interested just like probably anybody else is. I guess meeting people like Elon Musk and people involved in the tech world in different ways has been interesting to me.

I wanted to ask you about the Ultraviolence song, “F—-d My Way Up to the Top”…

Oh, God.

In an interview with Grazia in Germany, you inferred that it was in part a response to another popular female artist who’d said derogatory things about you in the press.

What do I say… I put so much time in putting a narrative to the track listing together, and then I’m so stupid because I should just know that it’s totally gonna be disregarded because I just set myself up. Let me put it this way, every track that I put on there and every track name and the order that it’s in tells a story that is important to me. In my mind, the narrative for this record ends with the last track, not the bonus deluxe stuff, all that business. It ends with the cover of Nina Simone’s “The Other Woman.” And without even really saying more about that, the decision to end with a cover of a jazz song and the content within that, it’s kind of telling in its own way.

And so is “Having F—–d My Way Up To The Top” being toward the end of the track listing. I would say the track having more of a hip hop heavier beat, whereas the rest of the album is live and organic…it kind of drives this one particular point home. It’s hard when you’re doing something in the studio, you kind of feel like your story about it is going to end there, but then in interviews you’re never really sure how far to elaborate…there’s not much I can really say about it that’s going to help you understand. I’ll just wait for you to listen to it.

She hasn't been digging Lorde lately

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmUCd62jjKk

Charli XCX is a way better rapper than Iggy. Brunette supremacy as usual

juniperjones posted:

Ultraviolence is one of my favorite albums of all time. It's amazingly consistent and a huge leap in quality over Born To Die (Which I was obsessed with, but I skipped half the songs when I listened to it).

I think people take what she says a little too seriously. Sometimes she's dead serious, sometimes she's joking and I love her bizarre sense of humor.

Plus her VOICE. And the loving album was recorded LIVE. That's insane. Who does that!? Who even could?

The thing is, it's not a pop album; it's a Lana Del Rey album, and a very good one, on vinyl. Unfortunately the CD is very badly mastered, which I think accounts for some of the negative reception; way too much artificially-jacked bass, not nearly enough treble, and the usual excessive compression. Which is a shame, because the all-analog approach was definitely in the right direction.

Taylor's "Wildest Dreams" totally is a parody of Lana's "Without You"

Mermaid Autopsy fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 27, 2014

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

I want Charli XCX to put out like an album of early 90's gangsta rap or something because her innate awesomeness is wasted on that album. It's like Marina and the Diamonds without the clever lyrics that actually made Marina interesting.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

I know she's 22, but I'm still a bit uncomfortable with this sexed up Charli XCX.

im v. comfortable with sexy girls personally

RevKrule posted:

Good news is that Marina has a new album out soon though.

Average career score: 76 http://www.metacritic.com/person/charli-xcx

Average career score: 62 http://www.metacritic.com/person/marina-and-the-diamonds

Given that both make almost the same sort of music, what is the double-standard at work here? It seems like critics kept saying that Marina was 'trying too hard' to be clever with her lyrics and music, which seems like a strange way of saying that the bitch needs to stay in the kitchen and not offer up anything actually challenging that doesn't fit into a predefined pop category.

Mermaid Autopsy fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 1, 2015

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

the truth posted:

Taylor Swift's "Wildest Dreams" was the best Lana Del Rey song of 2014.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CmadmM5cOk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdrL3QxjyVw

then this is the best Lana Del Rey video of 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDVC_pFMBMM

and FROOT is the best Charli XCX Kate Bush album

Mermaid Autopsy fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 14, 2015

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Yoshifan823 posted:

Style is no one in particular

It sounds kind of vaguely like Drake's "Hold On, We're Going Home"

Boob Dylan posted:

Also I don't know if she counts as pop (especially with this album)

Mods please rename this The Vagina Music Thread since we all know men who aren't Tom Petty can't into catchy hooks

Mermaid Autopsy fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Feb 14, 2015

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

This is the thread for Serious People Talking Seriously About Pop Music, so …

abraham linksys posted:

I'm not looking to troll; I swear to god this is an honest question:

Can someone explain to me what is good about Lana Del Rey

She is incredibly prolific, and (in addition to what's out there officially) has around two hundred unreleased songs, EP's from 2005 and an album from 2008. And through all of these there is a very singular and well-defined personality immersed in her own rich imaginal world. She seems to move effortlessly between genres because she is defined by herself, and not her accompaniment. She has a degree in Philosophy and for anyone that has studied the same subject, it's obvious how her videos (all of which she storyboards herself, apparently) are heavily influenced by metaphysical themes. Well, maybe not HBTB so much.

"People say your imagination is your greatest tool to success, and I think it’s because things manifest in reality from the visions you have in your mind’s eye. And so the most important thing is to really have a rich internal world, and live there, because reality will never meet your expectations."

Think of what’s going on now … Where am I going to get my inspiration? I couldn’t think of a thing today that I would really genuinely want to be a part of.

Short answer: because there is nobody out there like her. I wish there was, because then I wouldn't be so bored with music at the moment. Even Pitchfork called her a 'pop music original'—but they still use "pop music" as a pejorative term, despite the mountains of true ephemera that they have pushed since 2012 that has already been forgotten, while Lana still remains. Much as with David Bowie, her originality can be measured in how weakly imitators copy facets of her work without ever understanding the spark that really made it work.

She is much better heard on wax, but that's another subject.

Mermaid Autopsy fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 16, 2015

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

the truth posted:

Ultraviolence was very dull. Brooklyn Baby is my favorite track on the album.

I've said it before but Ultraviolence really has to be heard on vinyl, or at least on an acquired needledrop thereof—the CD seems to have ruined the lo-fi analog sound she was going for with bad mastering choices; it's just not the sort of recording you can compress the poo poo out of and expect to sound good.

A Phil Spector pastiche like the title track certainly isn't something you get from many people. But I kind of think pop music peaked somewhere around 1968.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

abraham linksys posted:

I mean I can sort of get down with this but I don't think Lana Del Rey's ever released something like

Well … tracks like "Summertime Sadness," "Born to Die," "Ride," and "American" (to choose some of her more popular efforts) definitely adhere to the same sort of baroque formalism; there is a sense of the cinematic and melodramatic that is much more in line with the aesthetic of the 1960's than today. Which is to say, I think she gets the sort of innate power and mystery that made those tracks timeless, rather than merely slavishly imitating superficial aspects. This track in particular really succeeds on a purely aesthetic level:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOqApU9NlcE

The issue is that Lana is a product of the Great Man theory of history, while critics are fully entrenched within the socioeconomic mold, where there are not artists but movements.

Mermaid Autopsy fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 17, 2015

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Azran posted:

Also :lol: at even using the Great Man myth unironically.

:thejoke: It was an ironic observation re: fickle modern music criticism following modern historiography in being about movements and scenes rather than individuals

PUGGERNAUT posted:

How can you say this in a world where Call Me Maybe exists? Or Baby One More Time, or Biology, or Thriller? Not to mention countless performers who may not get top-40 hits but are putting out great work (Robyn, Janelle Monae, Adam Lambert, Emeli Sande). There's always good music out there, you just need to know where to look.

Yeah well those are catchy tunes, but the list of artists here kind of speaks for itself https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard_Year-End_Hot_100_singles_of_1968

But going into the pop music thread to say that you don't actually like pop music is usually a losing proposition

DominoDancing posted:

Also, this. Together with the vinyl comment I'm getting strong "old men yells at cloud" vibes ;).
EDIT: Bonus points to Puggernaut for that Wikipedia link.

I feel the inscribed grooves played on a needle produce more pleasing sing-song melodies than the ones and zeroes assembled on a plastic disc, these are my Very Serious Opinions About Pop Music on the dead comedy pay-forum where we 30-somethings complain about Tumblr and post in a 356-page thread about collecting vinyl

And since High By The Beach just hit the Top 10 on Billboard Lana clearly doesn't need me to defend her

Mermaid Autopsy fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 28, 2015

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Wheat Loaf posted:

You know what era I think is unfairly maligned? The early 1960s, between Elvis getting drafted and the Beatles arriving. I think there's a lot of good stuff in there. That's when Phil Spector really took off in a big way.

They are all my children, but The Teddy Bears is totally my poo poo. And everyone knows George only wishes he made a beat this sick. Real instruments are just going to sound more timeless to me than ProTools ephemera.

Elucidarius posted:

I love her, she strikes this weird chord with me. Which is funny because up to this point I thought she was irritating and pretentious but High by the Beach completely changed something about her in my mind. :iiam:

The "Space Oddity" (1969) reference + title reference to Bowie's half-brother Terry + "Andy Warhol" sfx :allears:

Maybe I just like that she has all the "right" influences (Nina, Billie, vintage jazz, Spector, Gainsbourg, the VU, Bowie, Nancy & Lee, Cohen). Even HBTB with the modern trap beats has a bit of Andrews Sisters influence in the vocals, at least according to her.

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm finally getting around to listening to Chvrches' debut album and it sounds... bland? I don't mean the songs themselves, they're fine, but they all sound the same to me. :shobon:

edit: Finished the album and my criticism stands. :colbert:

CHVRCHES is taking that same route that too many briefly-hyped indie darling groups take; release one album with a new-yet-safely-trendy sound and then a follow-up album where all of the songs are pretty much reduced to a basic pop song-structure. Everything here just seems so slick, but at least Lauren gives it a sort of pleasant lift above her contemporaries.

The frequent criticism of Carly Rae Jepsen that she has no personality doesn't exactly seem unwarranted. But it seems, inexplicably, like MOR pop is more critically prized when it comes to female artists; just compare her Metacritic score to, say, "Electra Heart" or whatever.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

the truth posted:

"Wildest Dreams" on 1989 was a complete ripoff of Lana's "Without You."

:11tea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdneKLhsWOQ

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

abraham linksys posted:

ugh Emotion is probably the pop album of the year isn't it

I loathed Call Me Maybe but jesus christ this album is good

abraham linksys posted:

this opinion is freaking me out.

It's just so … basic, why? :psyduck:

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

abraham linksys posted:

I mean, yeah, in contrast to something like the new Empress Of album (which is fantastic and I just posted about it in the indie thread yesterday), it's a really simple thing. But her voice is very good and the music is very well-produced, so I'm happy with it. It's certainly not any more "basic" than bland albums like 1989.

This kind of electronic music production just, to me, sounds really flat. Deradoorian and Angel Olsen are a couple of recent artists who have a nice organic sound to them with a bit more depth, IMO, although too far away from anything pop to belong in this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VxothhoBIE

This belongs in the thread and kind of owns, though

quote:

I mean Artpop is still the gold standard for modern pop music production (that title track sounds like nothing else I've ever heard) but I'll take what I can get.

I don't think we are ever going to be friends. The first 3 minutes of it are interesting, though, before she has a chance to remind us how absurd her lyrics are.

Edit: vvv "Call Me Maybe," I can actually understand the appeal; it is a perfectly-hewed artifact. But in repetition I guess it becomes rote.

Mermaid Autopsy fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 10, 2015

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

memories http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2538929/Carly-Rae-Jepsen-draws-crowd-just-20-fans-hosts-event-Davids-Tea-Toronto.html :11tea: :smith:

Also, buy Honeymoon on red vinyl at your local record establishment http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p033703g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Sprat Sandwich posted:

The CHVRCHES album is also pretty good. I really like 'Never Ending Circles', 'Leave A Trace', 'Clearest Blue', 'High Enough To Carry You Over', 'Empty Threat' and 'Afterglow'.

I guess some people might say that they ~haven't evolved~ but I bet the same people would say that they ruined it if they had.

There are so many moments where I think it's going to turn into a Taylor Swift 1989 song, like "Blank Space" or "Out of the Woods" or "Style" especially. So, this is probably the right thread for this album.