Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Josh Lyman posted:

I'll take Selena over Ariana any day:

Naturally
Love You Like A Love Song
Hit The Lights
Come & Get It
Slow Down
I Want You to Know
Good For You
Same Old Love
Hands to Myself
It Ain't Me

You're crazy, even The Weeknd didn't pick Selena first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I read a quote last week that has really been on my mind, "Sometime around when Brittany Spears shaved her head, I noticed that once a year, without fail, the whole of culture turns on a female celebrity until she's destroyed."

It made me think of Miley, but about a month before this album dropped, I started clocking a number of anti-Katy articles that lead up to, "Watching Katy Perry struggle for relevance this year has been painful" which is really just a roast of the disc. That isn't to make an excuse for it, it isn't great after how high she has flown previously, but it makes me wonder if it is her turn this year.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I think Biebs just reached over saturation combined with him being in the news all the time for being a douchebag is what led to the dip. Plus a few years has improved his voice to anyone over 18.

The lady and I are seeing Ed Sheeran tomorrow night for her birthday, has anyone seen him previously? How was it?

^burtle fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 29, 2017

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I know everyone is rallying around Kesha's new Lemonade album but it is just weird to me that after everything and taking multiple Ls in court, she's just going to say gently caress it and drop with RCA.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

New Lana is better than Honeymoon but still not as good as Ultraviolence or Born to Die. The return of "My Old Man" brought a tear to my eye~

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Not Pop persay but if you guys haven't already, definitely check out SZA's album, Ctrl. Definitely an AOTY contender for me.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Don't follow Max Landis.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

i'm just goin to the store, to the store

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I've tried to get into Khalid a few times and I just can't seem to. He's like the almond milk version of The Weeknd.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

In What Were They Thinking news

Kids Bop thought Despacito would be a good song to have kids sing...with these lyrics (granted it is in spanish)

:stonk:

They were thinking the song is catchy as hell. The only way your kids are going to get bent out of shape about it is if they have a mastery of Spanish and innuendo.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Deformed Church posted:

The best non-EMOTION pop album of recent years is actually EMOTION Side B.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I didn't like Filthy at all hearing it streamed out of the GF's phone, but I just listened to it again on speakers and didn't mind it at all. I doubt JT is truly ever going to break away from this Timbo sound, so I'm just enjoying more of the same.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

MotW is Justified with a Dad Bod.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Man of the Woods is an album that Phil Dunphy would gently caress to.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I cannot wait for a new Janelle Monae disc. Already predicting some high profile features as well.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

somnambulist posted:

I didn’t like Starboy at all and I’m really digging the new release so I’m guessing it’s going to be divided. It sounds more like his old stuff and I really like the beats. Good stuff.

It is going to be interesting to see where he goes from here. We've watched the "Birds Pt. 1 Guy" become polished, cleaned up and embraced by the housewives of America, wearing a tuxedo and singing a radio friendly song about choking your girl at the Grammys, lose his girl to Bieber of all people and his first project after that sounds like they could be Echoes of Silence B-Sides.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Escobarbarian posted:

New Weeknd EP basically sounds like Trilogy fan fiction

It pretty much is. Starboy writing style with EoS sound.

somnambulist posted:

For sure, I was a little harsh by saying I didn’t like Starboy “at all” (it definitely has some catchy tunes) but I’m such a big fan of his older stuff.

Oh totally, I was more in agreement with you than I probably came off. My favorite disc of his at any given time is probably whichever pre-Madness disc I listened to last.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

That video is far from subtle, eh?

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Lauren's voice sounds amazing but nothing really grabbing me the way the first disc or some of the bangers off disc two did. I'm sure I'll spin it throughout the summer and see if it grows on me. Then again I feel like nothing is going to get me until I get Dirty Computer out of my system.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I spun it a second time back to back. I would probably give it a 7.5 or an 8. There is a lot to enjoy but not anything worth listening to on repeat or that you'd immediately share on Facebook to your crew. Will make for nice driving / BBQ / party music.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

After being initially bored by Love is Dead, it has definitely grown on me over the last few months, including a hot stretch of driving 94 through Indiana and Michigan where I couldn't get enough of Never Say Die.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Sweetener is v good

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

101 posted:

Agreed. Although maybe she tells us how amazing Pete Davidson is at dicking her down a few too many times

After Medium Sean and Snack Miller, let her live.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

"I love humanity, I think it's great."

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

[elon musk blunt face]

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Just found out Zayn has a new disc and this poo poo is 25 tracks long? Jesus H.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

i'm so fuckin grateful for this text

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

A few Sweetener tracks added with the post-break up inspiration. So good.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Katy Perry is only as good as the song written for her.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Dawn's album already hit and it is pretty good.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I'm the white guy with glasses bangin his hand and knowing all the words.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

how about you dildon't.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Lmao hard pass on Crimes or whatever she's calling herself now.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

It will be decades before we'll ever know the truth and I'm by no means a Spears Scholar but the whole thing is just so sad. Ever since she had her first meltdown due to Hollywood it seems like she has just been a hostage forced to perform for money and anytime she might break free, they point to K-Fed and back to her cell she goes.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

This was what I was trying and failing to convey, thanks. The fishy thing to me is that the conservatorship is essentially a way to keep the caged bird singing - I'm sure there's something in there about custody of her kids, a certain number of albums, perfumes, residencies, etc. as well. At one point her loving boyfriend(/producer? Publicist? Paparazzi? Can't remember what Sam Lufte's deal was) and her dad had more control over the Britney Spears estate than she did.

Now that this lawyer dude suddenly resigned it's ALL on her dad. At her public announcement for the residency, she completely looked like she didn't want to be there. A three year residency without even a new single. I'm sure her dad being sick is hugely affecting her mental health anyway, but the fact that it feels like the media is covering this yet again with a crazy Britney narrative is loving gross.

I know I'm firmly in the minority of liking Britney Jean and Glory, even though they're maybe not her strongest. The song Passenger, for instance, can be taken as just another lame love song about losing yourself in the relationship or whatever, but when you take into consideration that she had way more creative control over this album and also that at that point she was half a decade into this thing and was a year into her 30s to boot, it has a way darker reading about control and convincing herself it's for the best.

I already know I sound like a loving Qanon psycho so I'll stop there. I just want her to be free to do what she wants and be happy and from everything that's come out in the past 6 months it seems like that's gonna be a while. :smith:

E: oh drat the new Marina dropped!!

I wouldn't say you sound like a psycho at all, based on what we know about her and how celebs get handled in general, your speculation sounds quite feasible. Especially with K-Fed getting 45k a month in child support, I'm sure he has something on them, combined with the fact that she's been performing since childhood, she probably has no real sense of business, finance or even how much her image is truly worth at this point.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

lmao citing Nicki's best as 1 one verse on a Kanye album a decade ago

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

DC Murderverse posted:

I mean it’s one of the best verses on one of the best rap albums of all time, it’s a pretty big accomplishment.

Sure but it isn't really a good barometer for evaluating Cardi's top potential given all the re-writes and coaching Nicki got.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Best part of the Billie poo poo is the Threat Level Midnight drops

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Pop is just a general catch all, chase those fuckin ear worms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Inspector_666 posted:

This is a really weird misspelling of Warm Blood.

How'd you guys gently caress up Boy Problems?