Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
Hello pop music people. I have a general pop music question.

Pop music in the late 90s/early 00s sounded less 'produced'. That's probably not the correct word, but the songs sounded more sparse/less full in their musicality/complexity. Not the lyrics, but more specifically the mix surrounding it.

I've always wondered was that simply the stylistic choice at the time or was there a change in music production/technology that enabled pop music writ large to be more 'full' in its sound/mix?

e: It's also possible of course it's just anecdotal in the (many) songs I've heard throughout my life, but I feel like I've had enough of a sample size to see some sort of trend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU