Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dacap posted:

H. Jon Benjamin as Rocket Raccoon

HOLY poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Alison Brie was okay in Community I guess, but has she done something else to suggest that she'd make a good action heroine or is this just nerds liking to ogle her?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

You'd think, that with a career as substantial as Seth Green has had, he'd have done something where I didn't actively dislike him, but nope. He makes everything worse. Would be a disappointment if he has a substantial roll in Guardians of the Galaxy.

Yo, Green rules in Austin Powers. Pretty good in Stephen King's IT, too.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

My favorite pet theory is Mr. Sinister, which I feel like Dinklage could knock out of the goddamn park.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

What kind of weirdo doesn't like Ravenous?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CPFortest posted:

This weirdo.

Although I haven't seen it since high school and I have no idea if I would like it more now.

Dumb opinions held in high school can be forgiven - I used to think Garden State was a good movie - but ye gods, get thee to a video store and rewatch that poo poo.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

Robert Carlyle is totes the lead in Ravenous.

I mean, arguably, but even if he is he's a co-lead at best. I'm pretty sure Guy Pearce has considerably more screen time.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I still think Donnie Darko kinda rules, honestly.

Boondock Saints fans were purged from CineD using Stalinist tactics.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

My freshman year of college, I couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting some tool who wanted to show me how he memorized the oath from the Boondock Saints.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

PeterWeller posted:

How is it vile poo poo? Serious question. I haven't watched that movie in years and remember being highly entertained by it.

I think a lot of people were offended by its casual racism & sexism as well as its tacit approval of hideous violence.

Myself, I found it too stone-loving-stupid to bother getting worked up over.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

The only good thing to come from that film is this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvP7TLnkiB4

Oh nice, this is on youtube. I've been meaning to watch it for a while.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

It's a movie that takes place in a comic book style world, but people seem to think it's taking itself seriously when it absolutely isn't. It's a fun, dumb, flawed action movie from a slightly amoral director that gets judged on the level of Brazil when it really belongs in the same category as something like Demolition man.

See, even judging it on that level that doesn't really work though because Demolition Man is so much better than Boondock Saints it ain't even funny. What's your boggle?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

WickedIcon posted:

That's kind of the point he was making.

In that case, I definitely don't agree, because in my experience nerds love Fight Club, Tarantino and Halo.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

James Mangold (@mang0ld) tweeted six images that "inspired / influenced" his take on Wolverine.

Two of those are Wong Kar-Wai films.

Sold.

Huh. Clint Eastwood and Asian cinema have long been two touchstones for Wolverine, but I definitely was not expecting Black Narcissus. He's definitely piqued my interest now.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

It's a bad line and Halle Berry's a bad actress.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Looks pretty cool from a spectacle standpoint and I love whatever the hell Ben Kingsley's going for with his voice but I hope they haven't dispensed with the humor entirely.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Exactly. Had they cast anyone else (like the guy from the OC as was rumored) the film would have been a enormous flop.

I can't even picture a version with anyone other than him. Not to slight Jon Favreau or anyone else involved in that movie, I just feel like it would've been conceptually different almost from the ground up.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Favreau is 99% of the reason we got RDJ. I'm fairly certain Adam loving Brody was in the running before Downey was tapped.

While I didn't like Iron Man 2 much at all, I think Jon Favreau's directing in the first Iron Man is really underrated. Everyone gives all the credit to RDJ, but the improv-heavy dialogue-driven style of the film was a really bold choice by Favreau and one that worked amazingly well. It's almost not surprising that Iron Man 2 was such a huge letdown because the vibe in the first one really feels like they caught lightning in a bottle.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

teagone posted:

Wasn't he forced to do that though because the script wasn't finished, despite them already shooting scenes? Thought I read/heard that somewhere.

If that's true, that makes it more impressive, not less.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm not much of a fan of Matt Fraction's run, but the Daniel and Charles Knauf run had a really cool modern Mandarin story that also ties in with Extremis. I wonder if the new movie takes anything from it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

A human heart posted:

Don't you think that this is problematic in of itself?

Not unless you think good conservative fiction is an impossibility, which is just silly.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Travis343 posted:

Any kind of fiction that isn't willing to examine its own foundation with a critical eye from time to time is problematic because it quickly turns into propaganda.

I suppose I'm able to distinguish between propaganda and art that holds a viewpoint contrary to my own.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I don't have a problem with Kat Dennings on principle, but I agree that her character in Thor was just godawful, as were a few other things about that movie.

Iron Man and Captain America are the two best Marvel Studios (or whatever this current franchise is called) movies.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Kat Dennings is fine in Thor, after all, she's a side character. What does she even have, ten lines? You know who's useless in it: Natalie Portman. She brings nothing whatsoever to what is supposed to be the female lead and romantic love interest of the film.

Yeah, but all ten of 'em are really terrible one-liners.

You're right about Natalie Portman though. That movie has its moments (the Asgard stuff is some of my favorite special effects/production design of the past ten years or so, plus Anthony Hopkins and Tom Hiddleston are great and a lot of the fish-out-of-water stuff works), but it's such a messy jumble of half-assed poo poo overall.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm about to drop another one on ya - try to watch Iron Man 1 now. It does not hold up.

I've actually been thinking about rewatching it lately so I'll take you up on that. I've seen it at least three times and it only came out five years ago though, so I really don't anticipate my opinion changing much. I have a pretty strong love for the improvisational style, the excellent effects work (this was a really great movie for Stan Winston to go out on), and the three central performances by Downey, Paltrow and Bridges.

Then again, I think I'm more forgiving towards the Marvel Studios flicks than most around here. I think Iron Man and Cap are both great, Avengers and The Incredible Hulk are both decent, and only Iron Man 2 and Thor are outright missteps.

penismightier posted:

Ang Lee's Hulk would've been extraordinary if the climax was the Hulk in the desert stuff, not all that weird nighttime electric Nolte stuff afterwards. It gets poo poo, but I love the look of The Hulk in that one, that radioactive green is awesome.

I actually agree with this. Most of the problems are in the last act - it feels like an unnecessary fourth act to a three-act movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I just remembered one of my favorite bits from Iron Man, when Pepper has to change the arc reactor in Tony's chest. It's superhero movie by way of body horror by way of screwball comedy, and it rules.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Timby posted:

The interesting thing about the Marvel movies is that, with only one exception, all of them have one act that falls flat on its face. Captain America and Iron Man 1 have terrible third acts, Iron Man 2 and Thor fall off a cliff in the second act and barely recover, and The Avengers takes forever to actually get going. The Incredible Hulk is the only one that's felt consistent throughout its running time.

I actually think the Incredible Hulk's 3rd act is the weakest part too, or at least that the big final battle is the weakest of all the action setpieces. The chase through the favelas and Tim Roth vs. The Hulk are both wonderfully kinetic and interesting, the final battle is just two big CGI blobs wailing on each other. It's basically the same problem the Ang Lee Hulk had, although slightly less extreme.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Rhyno posted:

The movie jettisoned all of Millar's terrible bullshit and was much better for it.

Like Wanted, Kick-rear end is a movie that's substantially better than the source material but still not very good.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The design of the Ant-Man costume and the general theme of beating up what are presumably SHIELD agents leads me to believe this movie may lift from the excellent The Irredeemable Ant Man series, the one really good thing Robert Kirkman ever wrote.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

For serious though, the new Wonder Woman comics are drat good. Also I don't think power bracelets or the name "Wonder Woman" are any stupider than bat-shaped boomerangs or the name "Superman."

I'd like to see an rear end-kicking Wonder Woman movie starring Gina Carano. That one throwaway line in Haywire had to make some producer's ears perk up somewhere.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 25, 2013

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sentinel Red posted:

On the basis of Haywire, that's the same sort of casting as sticking wrestlers who are not The Rock in every superhero role. Give me a goddamn actor, not an athlete who can grimace a bit and woodenly recite dialogue in a pinch.

I actually thought Carano was excellent in Haywire - it may have been my favorite performance in any movie from 2012 - but I'm aware my opinion is not the majority one.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I just find it annoying that, as BrianWilly said, everyone feels compelled to rage about Wonder Woman's costume at the expense of at all talking about what makes her work as a character.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah, after all the buildup that teaser is somewhat disappointing. Looks like it might have some pretty cinematography, at least.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Paul Allen posted:

You guys thought a blockbuster summer movie about a guy with unbreakable claws that come out of hands wouldn't have some over-the-top action in it? Really? REALLY?

It's not that I was hoping there wouldn't be any action scenes so much as I was hoping the action scenes wouldn't look like poo poo.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I watched the trailer again and I guess it doesn't look that bad. It's just that all the CGI looks really dodgy. Like, Blade 2 dodgy. Some of the sequences, like the ninja fight in the snow, look like they could be touched up to look nicer in post-production, but that train scene really looks like it has to be reimagined from the ground up.

It still definitely looks better than the first one (from the trailers anyway - I didn't bother to see the first one) and I'll probably go see it due to my weird and baseless nerdy desire to see the Silver Samurai on the big screen.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah, honestly after the fact that we're weirdly getting a high profile Guardians of the Galaxy movie, everything seems pretty much fair game. I'm pulling hardest for Booster Gold. Maybe Moon Knight too, although we'll probably get Luke Cage and Iron Fist before we get that.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sly Deaths Head posted:

I think mostly street level heroes like those would work way better as a tv series. The Daredevil movie worked best when it was about Matt Murdock's personal life and the worst aspects were the attempts to create enough of a spectacle out of the standard martial arts fighting by adding awful CGI/wire-fu to justify it being a summer action movie.

The Daredevil movie worked best when it was still a hypothetical, i.e. "Wouldn't it be cool if they made a Daredevil movie?"

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Die Laughing posted:

They just need to give it to Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller, and let them go Sin City with it. Bullseye and Kingpin are already black and white, and then the red in Daredevil and Elektra's costumes will really pop.

My preferred hypothetical Daredevil adaptation is more grounded, basically like Homicide: Life on the Streets except the main dude puts on a costume and kung-fu fights people occasionally.

Joe Carnahan's spec reel looked pretty cool too.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Doflamingo posted:

Hahaha that looks so silly. Hopefully I won't fall asleep halfway through like with the first film.

You did too? Sup, fell-asleep-halfway-thru-ASM buddy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I hope the movie is as funny as the stills from it so far.

I already like the stills from the sequel more than the entirety of the first movie.

• Locked thread