Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Renaissance Robot posted:

Definitely 21, wink

I'm not sure if this is because she's lying about her age in-story or if Zack doesn't want to be accused of portraying the crime of underage drinking, but wasn't she the same age as Rick?

Then again I looked like a babby at 21 too, so :shrug:

Rick is 20 in this flashback.

So it's possible Mina is slightly older and is genuinely 21 but I definitely read that line as "yes, I'm totally 21, no need to ask questions or check my ID"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Tenebrais posted:

Rick is 20 in this flashback.

I assume this was established and I just forgot but awww he looks 17 or something :allears:

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Definitely old enough to buy alcohol is how I read it.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Renaissance Robot posted:

I assume this was established and I just forgot but awww he looks 17 or something :allears:

I did have to go back and check!
https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-7-page-22

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
I guess Patchworm spent a while as an unconscious chrysalis?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fecha posted:

I guess Patchworm spent a while as an unconscious chrysalis?

I got the impression that Patchworm spent a while not talking very often and only really started speaking up when Mina started to ramp up her 'carrying the world's problems on her back' self sacrificing hero motivation'

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Alternatively Mina's really hosed something up recently in story and Patchworm's giving her the silent treatment.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Maybe patchworm started as a worm, went to chrysallis (now silent), and only at the modern point in the story is starting to emerge (and thus no longer silent, but speaking slowly)

butterfly patchworm will fully emerge at the story's climax

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Butterfly Patchworm is just Eightfold emerging anew, IMO.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Reminder that Eightfold is still "alive"

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Forget Eightfold, gimme more Peekabo

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

rannum posted:

Maybe patchworm started as a worm, went to chrysallis (now silent), and only at the modern point in the story is starting to emerge (and thus no longer silent, but speaking slowly)

butterfly patchworm will fully emerge at the story's climax

We're not gonna make it to 2069 (earliest expected finale date)

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Caught up after about 2 years of not reading. I forgot how much better this comic feels when read like that instead of waiting for updates. I feel like Paranatural would be received better as a graphic novel rather than a webcomic.

Come to think of it, why hasn't Zach gotten the first few chapters published in one phyiscal copy? I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

New page!

Alt text: you know, one of those "you scratch my back, you also scratch your own back" arrangements

Looks like the bubble over Mayview is pretty long-standing.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Imagine unironically wearing the business onesey. Imagine wearing it anywhere outside of your actual bed. I hope for Scab's sake this is some kind of projection because if not I feel bad for Mina's public perception.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
If Zach hadn't specifically called it out, I'd not have recognized that as the same character.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Have we seen Scabs before? They do seem familiar but I can't quite remember

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Description says they first showed up here.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
The girl with the Vegeta hair? That's the same person here?

That's weird, then. Her appearance here suggests she's around Mina's age, ish. Why was she (/will she be) sparring with Isabel, a 12 year old? Harsh taskmaster, Papa Guerra.

edit: I read ahead a few pages from there, and they did indeed bring up that Scabs is twice Isabel's age. Never Mind!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The_Final_Stand posted:

The girl with the Vegeta hair? That's the same person here?

That's weird, then. Her appearance here suggests she's around Mina's age, ish. Why was she (/will she be) sparring with Isabel, a 12 year old? Harsh taskmaster, Papa Guerra.

Guerra refers to Scabs as an adult when Isabel spars with her, so literally yes

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

Imagine unironically wearing the business onesey. Imagine wearing it anywhere outside of your actual bed. I hope for Scab's sake this is some kind of projection because if not I feel bad for Mina's public perception.

I feel like if anyone was judging anyone in this situation it would not be a poor judgement on the woman being harassed by the other woman in a business onesie

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Simsmagic posted:

Description says they first showed up here.

Dear lord, this page is almost 8 years old. :negative:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-7-page-31

Well, that sucks

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I only just this month realized Scabs was taking advantage of Isabel’s fear of dogs instead of just using a really sick spectral form because it’s the most anime thing to do.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Pants Donkey posted:

I only just this month realized Scabs was taking advantage of Isabel’s fear of dogs instead of just using a really sick spectral form because it’s the most anime thing to do.

Well now I just realized that too!

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Should've specified the pajamas, Mina!

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I’ve missed P.J. making regular appearances in this comic

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I don't know if Zach still reads here but I got some insecure content and other warnings hitting Paranatural.net today using Windows Firefox 64 bit (after not doing so for a couple weeks, so this might not be new):
code:
The stylesheet [url]https://www.paranatural.net/.css[/url] was not loaded because its MIME type, “text/html”, is not “text/css”. [url]www.paranatural.net[/url]
Some cookies are misusing the recommended “SameSite“ attribute 10
Loading mixed (insecure) display content “[url]http://cdn.thehiveworks.com/images/hiveworks160600.png”[/url] on a secure page [url]www.paranatural.net:77[/url]
Loading mixed (insecure) display content “[url]http://cdn.thehiveworks.com/images/hiveworks72890.png”[/url] on a secure page [url]www.paranatural.net:92[/url]
Loading mixed (insecure) display content “[url]http://cdn.thehiveworks.com/images/hiveworks30050.png”[/url] on a secure page
All of these would probably require Hiveworks intervention. I trimmed out some failed scripts that were probably blocked by adblock.

The stylesheet one looks like an invalid file name.

The cookie one is probably an intermediary app trying to set a cookie value when the browser is only expecting it from the originating server, or the originating server is misconfigured. These will eventually be blocked:
code:
Cookie “__utma” will be soon rejected because it has the “SameSite” attribute set to “None” or an invalid value, without the “secure” attribute. To know more about the “SameSite“ attribute, read [url]https://developer.mozilla.org/docs/Web/HTTP/Headers/Set-Cookie/SameSite[/url]
Of possible concern is the mixed content warnings since browsers have been coming down harder and harder on non-HTTPS content lately, and might refuse to process them in future. The CDN has a valid certificate, so some kind of setting that forces HTTPS on linking to it will probably fix that.

EDIT-Oh yeah the last image 30050 straight up doesn't exist, it 404s

Scaramouche fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 18, 2021

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Zack apparently draws their updates the day before they go up on the site

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
or they were just behind on this specific update and thought they had another day to finish it

no need to post poo poo like that like you want the thread to start scolding them for it, lmao

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

weird that missing the deadline means the comic can't go up till next week instead but w/e, webcomics

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-7-page-32

what a couple of cuties

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

"this page just oozes ethics"

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
So I guess the 'big brother' Hijack said got vaporized on this page was Sockpuppy. :(

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

So Ventrilobite is the millipede sister who can control emotions.

I wonder what exactly Hotwire can do if it wasn't the spirit that could control the train.

I note the artificial spirits all share Sockpuppy's color palette. Wonder if that'll come up later on.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Fortis posted:

So I guess the 'big brother' Hijack said got vaporized on this page was Sockpuppy. :(

That's very much what's been implied thus far, yeah.

SKULL.GIF posted:

So Ventrilobite is the millipede sister who can control emotions.

I wonder what exactly Hotwire can do if it wasn't the spirit that could control the train.

I note the artificial spirits all share Sockpuppy's color palette. Wonder if that'll come up later on.

My guess is control vehicles. That seems to be the theme.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Cup Runneth Over posted:

My guess is control vehicles. That seems to be the theme.

That was my guess as well, but I assumed "control vehicles" extended to the ghost train... I guess Hotwire only controls physical vehicles? We'll find out if Mina does a sick 360 flip on her moped or something.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yeah, my guess is:
Sockpuppy can control spirits
Hijack can control living things
Hotwire can control machines
Ventrilobite can control emotions (in both spirits and people)

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 30, 2021

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Sockpuppy is also a play on the term "sockpuppet" which is both literally true of him but also conveniently relevant to his abilities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Interesting to note Ventrilobite is labeled as an "artificial spirit prototype" but Sockpuppy is labeled as a "anomalous spectral lifeform". Presumably there's something special about Sockpuppy that Mina somehow copied to create the offshoot spirits?