Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Eh, when you first go to his website the very first thing you see is the most recent comic. You even have to scroll past it on most monitors to get the First button, if you don't go through the Archives. If you give up after the first few pages thinking they don't get better, after a glance the most recent page, then you probably aren't really paying attention. Same thing happens in Gunnerkrig Court, the first few chapters turn people off due to the style, and the way some people see Annie at first, but once they give it a chance it's probably one of the best ones right now. Also, Unsounded. Really, if you're judging a webcomic based off of no more than the first chapter, at least see if you can find another opinion from somewhere or someone.

That said, I'd still love to see those first pages redone. He'd probably have to redo the whole chapter then, just so there isn't such a big jump in difference compared to the rest of it. I'd much rather get new pages instead of a redone first chapter. The man's busy!

Salvador Dalvik posted:

If he posted 3 times a week and redid those pages, he'd be rolling in mad black market greens.

See Gunnerkrig Court. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."
It would probably be enough if he colored the first dozen or so pages, but some work has to be done if he ever wants to release the first chapter in book form. I also want to buy kickstart that book.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Coloured and cleaned up, re-inked maybe.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
They are also not drawn/scanned at print resolution, so he would have to completely redo them if he wants a book.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

MikeJF posted:

Anyone feel that he'd get a lot more readers picking this up if he redid the first... eight or so pages? I was initially turned off by the first page when I saw it, not knowing that it hikes practically up to the current level of quality within just a few.

Redoing pages can be pretty darn toxic to a webcomic creator. I think it's fine, and Paranatural is doing fine. I'm certain if he kickstarted a book he'd do well too. I love Paranatural, but I'm just happy to get a once a week update, given...other comics update even less frequently. Keep in mind, the Paranatural pages tend to be full spreads and not just a few panels. He could probably uncondense his friday update into 2 or 3 times a week if he wanted to, but it wouldn't be as cool in my opinion. Not to mention he's probably juggling school, real life, job whatever else on top of this.

There's also something pretty darn charming and inspiring of seeing how fast Paranatural jumps in quality.

hell astro course fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 6, 2013

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Space-Bird posted:

Redoing pages can be pretty darn toxic to a webcomic creator.

Not just pages and webcomic creators. Whenever you spend your time using your improving skills to redo the same tiny part of a creative work, without ever creating the rest, then eventually you'll look back on it and tell yourself that you've spent fifteen years of your life working on something which is like 5% complete.

On the other hand, some poet once said: "Hasten slowly, and without losing heart, twenty times over put your work back on the loom, ceaselessly polish and polish it again, add to it sometimes, and often delete." So YMMV I guess.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Cat Mattress posted:

On the other hand, some poet once said: "Hasten slowly, and without losing heart, twenty times over put your work back on the loom, ceaselessly polish and polish it again, add to it sometimes, and often delete." So YMMV I guess.

Right, but I imagine you can apply that quote any page instead of the work as a whole...otherwise we wouldn't be seeing the amazing improvement we do..and it'd be more along the lines of something like Dominic Deegan...which seems to be 'good enough first draft' mentality. Besides, I'm desperate to see what happens next. :ohdear:

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
The thing about redrawing the first X pages is that it then becomes jarring when right after that, it jumps back to a less-refined style. To me, that's far more off-putting than starting with bad art but clearly getting better.

Then again, I give comics a bit of leeway before I really start to judge the art, just because so many of them get better rather quickly. And good writing makes up for less-than-good art.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Honestly he should leave it as it is. Redrawing pages is just a goddamn black hole. Hell redrawing a picture you did a few years ago just leaves you constantly doing it over and over.

For me I'm fine with his rough work art in the beginning. Shows how much he has grown.

Granted it was a quick change but hey dude is talented.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Shindragon posted:

Honestly he should leave it as it is. Redrawing pages is just a goddamn black hole. Hell redrawing a picture you did a few years ago just leaves you constantly doing it over and over.

For me I'm fine with his rough work art in the beginning. Shows how much he has grown.

Granted it was a quick change but hey dude is talented.

He might have to though if he eventually wants to make a book. I know the person who does String Theory said they have to do that to almost the entire first chapter because none of the pages are big enough for a book.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
What he should really do imo is get a store set up selling t-shirts. I'd buy like half the shirt designs his characters have worn so far.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Shindragon posted:

It's only seven or eight pages at the very beginning, before he starts coloring it, that are really that different. Just redoing those few would probably make a big difference. It helps that there's a definite break point, not just a slow stylistic gradient from beginning to end.

Zerilan posted:

What he should really do imo is get a store set up selling t-shirts. I'd buy like half the shirt designs his characters have worn so far.

I'd buy some Impakt Krimson Deluxe Hair Dye.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man this Doorman guy is weird. What's all this weird nonsense about responsibility and poo poo?

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
That was actually really well-written and weighty. This just keeps getting better.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Doorman is awesome.

Say sorry, Isaac. :colbert:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Couple interesting hints here:

- The Doorman was expecting "someone else": who else knows about this? Isaac implies, by referring to Max as the "new kid", that the other Activity Club kids also know about the Doorman. But for some reason I don't think that's who the Doorman was expecting.

- Isaac's vow was not sworn "without cause", which means Isaac may have lost control of his powers or used them too enthusiastically in the past and regretted it. This also ties in with how confident Isaac was about how he could "totally destroy" Ed and Isabel. He didn't take it well when Max teased him about calculating whether or not he could take the kids in a fight, either.

- Same with "You have seen the damage a lightning bolt can do", actually.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Haledjian posted:

That was actually really well-written and weighty. This just keeps getting better.

Yeah, goes to show you can have good dialogue heavy word bubbles and still make it interesting... Doorman doesn't even have a face, yet it's really emotive.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
I like that he experimented with kinda rounded reflections in the last panel. His attempt didn't turn out great but, whatever, it isn't terrible and it's visually interesting.

I'm fully expecting Isaac to stab Doorman in the face with his key to shut him up on the next page.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

ThatPazuzu posted:

I like that he experimented with kinda rounded reflections in the last panel. His attempt didn't turn out great but, whatever, it isn't terrible and it's visually interesting.

I'm fully expecting Isaac to stab Doorman in the face with his key to shut him up on the next page.

Naw, do you see the look on that kid's face? He's just been hit with some heavy stuff, man. He's feelin' real bad right now. Might need to take a sit-down, rethink his life for a bit.

(What a great page.)

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

I'd just like to say, Isaac would make an amazing future villain in this series... you can't help but feel for the dude.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Space-Bird posted:

I'd just like to say, Isaac would make an amazing future villain in this series... you can't help but feel for the dude.

I think he might be getting set up as a well meaning and ambitious kid with some definite hubris when it comes to his understanding of his power and the nature of the world. With this dude and the sphinx (and also the powers in general) i think it's being implied that sprites have a lot of binding rules.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Even if Isaac doesn't become a villain, I'm sure the spirit inside of him will.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
It was never really explained what happens to a tool/medium when a spirit emerges from them.

Isaac. :ohdear:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've had it in my head for a while now that one of the reasons Mr. Spender is a terrible teacher could be just that he doesn't trust Isaac since he's a medium.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

I'm not sure what I like more - JUSTICE HUG, or Max's holy-gently caress-would-you-two-get-a-room expression in one of the final panels.

Nick_326
Nov 3, 2011

History's Latest Monster
http://paranatural.net/chapter-3-page-37/

Oh goodness, this comic never fails to make my day. :3:

Torokasi
Jan 13, 2011

Powered up to a level 2 super schmendrick.

Crosscontaminant posted:

I'm not sure what I like more - JUSTICE HUG, or Max's holy-gently caress-would-you-two-get-a-room expression in one of the final panels.

I'm going to vote for the alt text.

This being said, what does Isaac need redemption for?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Torokasi posted:

This being said, what does Isaac need redemption for?

Brannock was speculating about this last comic, actually:

Brannock posted:

- Isaac's vow was not sworn "without cause", which means Isaac may have lost control of his powers or used them too enthusiastically in the past and regretted it. This also ties in with how confident Isaac was about how he could "totally destroy" Ed and Isabel. He didn't take it well when Max teased him about calculating whether or not he could take the kids in a fight, either.

- Same with "You have seen the damage a lightning bolt can do", actually.

I think it's becoming more clear that Isaac did something quite bad at some point with his powers.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
I can see Isaac turning into a crazy vigilante.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Max's expression in the back is priceless.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I dunno. I think this comic is a bit too light-hearted for something that dark to turn up. Who knows though - we're still in the early stages of the comic. But from what I can see, by the time Paranatural ends, those will have been the major conflicts and questions that will be resolved or answered:

-The excessive supernatural activity in the city
-The time snake in Max's Tool
-Max's grief over losing his mother

Frankly, my money is on the comic ending with Max coming to terms with his mother's passing.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Brannock posted:

I dunno. I think this comic is a bit too light-hearted for something that dark to turn up. Who knows though - we're still in the early stages of the comic. But from what I can see, by the time Paranatural ends, those will have been the major conflicts and questions that will be resolved or answered:

-The excessive supernatural activity in the city
-The time snake in Max's Tool
-Max's grief over losing his mother

Frankly, my money is on the comic ending with Max coming to terms with his mother's passing.
Well some stuff has been foreshadowed that is rather dire, like how Max's mom died, for instance.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Crosscontaminant posted:

I prefer Max's hand gesture in that panel. I don't know why, but that's the part that sells his reaction for me.

Also A nice as he seems, I'm not sure Doorman is on the up and up. 2 pages ago he was calling for 'Master' not 'young master' asking if they had succeeded and last page he told us he was expecting someone else.

Dude's hiding something.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 15, 2013

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I prefer Max's hand gesture in that panel. I don't know why, but that's the part that sells his reaction for me.

Yup that's what cracked me up.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Also as nice as he seems, I'm not sure Doorman is on the up and up. 2 pages ago he was calling for 'Master' not 'young master' asking if they had succeeded and last page he told us he was expecting someone else.

Dude's hiding something.

I bet you "Master" is another spirit/ghost/whatever they call it in this comic. The Doorman clearly interacts with them regularly, given his immediate mild amusement at Isaac's "human"-ness by referring to him as the shortcut. It's only amusing/unusual because Doorman is familiar with non-humans - otherwise it'd just seem normal to him.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Descent into darkness averted! Back to our regularly scheduled lighthearted wackiness :v:

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Well some stuff has been foreshadowed that is rather dire, like how Max's mom died, for instance.

Yeah, this comic's pretty lighthearted but it definitely has the occasional hint of darkness. I was rereading the second chapter the other day and the moment where Max latches on to any hope of seeing his mom again is actually kind of heavy.

Of course, PJ immediately defuses it by being a goofball, but this comic is proving to be pretty deft at playing the "serious momeNOPE here's a joke" game.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Opposing Farce posted:

Of course, PJ immediately defuses it by being a goofball, but this comic is proving to be pretty deft at playing the "serious momeNOPE here's a joke" game.

I'm glad it does, too many comics as it is sink into a grimdark depression hole. Especially this early on, there's no need for the comic to take itself too seriously.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
It's from a few pages back but if Johnny's getting the most annoying power it has to be the plunger and the self replication. A hundred Johnnies saying "thanks for making me people, bro." would be the best callback ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JingleJunction
Jul 24, 2011

It was me!
Everyone in this thread is talking about Johnny getting a tool, but when was it mentioned that he's a spectral and/or could see ghosts and spirits? Did I miss something?

Anyway this comic rules. Almost every page gets a smile out of me because of some ridiculous facial expression.