Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The fact that this comic updates only once a week causes me physical pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The object labels in this comic are just the best

Take for example what Isaac was buying from the shop before this shortcut shenanigan ensued

SEMI-VEGAN BREAKFAST CHEW

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

So let me get this straight

Tools and Mediums start to resemble their spirit right?

...Does this mean Max is going to start lugging around a big black dildo looking bat :ohdear:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

MikeJF posted:

I wonder if he was anticipating it or if he was hoping to hold revelations back for later.

It's the internet. If he went through the effort of creating a crackable cipher, he had to have done so anticipating it would be cracked. If he was hoping to hold back revelations he would have used gibberish.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm honestly surprised to see anything beating Homestuck given its incredibly large and incredibly crazy fanbase.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

scarycave posted:

So...what would the spirit get out of killing its tools owner? You think that's going to be a problem later on? Could the same thing happen to a someone like Issac?

Probably nothing. It's one of those 0.1% chance things, if your spirit is totally batshit.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Ditto, Paranatural being flagged as an attack site by Firefox.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Isaac is a doofus in the best way. He is such a great contrast to Max. Trying way too hard versus not trying at all.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Fairy God Mother is evolving!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Jazu posted:

I think he said that the characters ages are specifically "young enough that I can ignore romance subplots".

Good on ya Zack.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Mr. Lobe posted:

I get the feeling this guy isn't too bright.

I'm not sure it's so much that as "buttons are easily pushed"

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

wiegieman posted:

I honestly though it was just Zack doing what he's done for all of Paranatural; make fun of painfully anime scenes where someone says something like "I have... debts to pay."

This is exactly how I interpreted it. It's not a reference because the stupid Shiba whatever is meant to represent someones inner monologue.

This is an external monologue actively mocking Forge.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Phreizr posted:

Spender clearly watches too much anime.

As opposed to Isaac who simply is too much anime.

This of course, is the source of their mutual disdain.

They are too much alike.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Why do I get the feeling Johnny is going to get wrecked by Isabel at some point and have his whole world view destroyed/reinforced.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Ariong posted:

I can't really see him being humbled by or learning any lessons from getting beaten up some some girl he doesn't even know.

JOHNNY STRONGEST ONE THERE IS.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Roland Jones posted:

You know, the old man seems like the last person who should be calling people out on being a callous dick, given... Basically everything he's done since we've met him.

Though, yeah, Spender, that's kind of villain talk there. Which is worrisome since he's both the (so far) less dickish mentor figure and, given what the ninja-squirrels said, possibly the strongest guy in town.

Yep. Starting to get a real Aizen vibe out of Spender.

Outwardly goofy/non-threatening, might be the actual real threat.

Countblanc posted:

It's possible Grandpa knows some things about the organization that cast a less than favorable light on the whole thing, since he apparently used to work for them. It might explain why Issac's spirit - potentially a HERO OF JUSTICE (who happens to be a big scary cloud man) - is so interested in learning about them and clearly doesn't like Spender.

Isaac's spirit doesn't give two dicks about justice, it only cares about power/strength.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

If she had powers that would negate the disadvantages of being physically disabled, Spender likely wouldn't have mentioned it. Still, Boss Lady must have some kind of angle sending somebody like that. A test maybe? Counting on Spender to overplay his hand?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Spender, answering the question of what would happen if you gave great power, talent, and apparently responsibility to an unbelievable dork.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

For all Grandpa's harsh words, I definitely get the impression this is a tough love kinda thing much like he treats Isabel to. If he really meant the "better enemy" thing, or if he genuinely believed Spender was doing the wrong thing, he would have acted a long time ago. He probably respects what Spender is trying to do, but knows how close he is straying to a line.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

We need more comics about Collin's cat, the real star of the comic :3:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I desperately want to know what embarrassing story Isabel is telling about Isaac in that scene.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Or it could be as simple as "while you need to be pretty swole to possess something really big, being swole as gently caress does not preclude possessing something smaller".

Capacity =/= Necessity

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Splicer posted:

Given the whole "broken god" and "I didn't get the sense of humour" bits, I've been assuming Max's bat only contains a small fragment of a much larger spirit.

"I didn't get the sense of humor" is referring to Max's sense of humor.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Splicer posted:

Do you have word of Zack on that? It's a common theory in the website comments.

Website comments are notoriously bad at basic reading comprehension. Scrapdragon is making it doubly apparent that Doorman is no longer talking to Max. No word of the author needed to discern that.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Splicer posted:

I guess we'll agree to disagree?

I had limited time earlier. Anywho there are more problems with the theory. For one, it makes the assumption that A) It's even possible for a spirit to fragment into multiple consciousness, which to my knowledge we have no evidence that is a thing and B) Assumes that broken means broken into pieces, as opposed to the more straightforward interpretation wherein "broken god" simply refers to being reduced to a parasite dependent on a human child for energy.

All things being equal the simplest explanation least reliant on wild conjecture is probably the correct one.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

I just realized that he's already explained why the barrier can't be passed through by just any sufficiently powerful spirit. On the previous page he says "The Ghost Train is an exception. Its power warps anything it wants out of its way, including the barrier". I initially read this as more of a general statement - the Ghost Train is powerful so it can warp the barrier out of its way. But more specifically it means that the train's unique power is warping things so they don't touch it as seen by the trees on the latest page, and Spender's face on this one.

Probably obvious but I thought I'd point it out anyway.

I'm guessing the barrier is to keep certain dangerous things inside, since those dog things, for instance, are already in there. Though there's no reason why it couldn't also be keeping things out.

I'm honestly inclined to suspect the barrier exists (at least in part) to keep things in, like Scrapdragons "faction" (which of course begs the question, what are they factionalizing over?) and the implicitly existent factions working against him/it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Brannock posted:

Pretty much everything is pointing towards Something being contained in Mayview, yeah. I would have laid bets on it being Isaac's spirit (explaining why Spender wants to keep him somewhat hidden and out of the loop) if not for Spender mentioning in this very comic that Isaac has been outside Mayview before.

I don't think Isaac's spirit is being contained in Mayview, but I do wonder if Spender isn't concerned about Isaac's spirit in a different sense than is immediately obvious. What if he's trying to keep Isaac away from his organization because said organization might be "concerned" about the particular spirit in him? Not enough substance to form anything concrete yet, but given the lack of trust Spender has in his own organization I don't think he's keeping Isaac away out of loyalty to group secrecy per se. I feel like there's gotta be some other angle.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Countblanc posted:

The frog really wasn't a bully, he seemed pretty inoffensive (if not a bit grumpy) until Max revealed himself to be a spectral. I imagine a spectral's power can seem pretty loving weird or even offensive to a spirit, so his comments about Max and other spectrals imprisoning his kind and exploiting their powers aren't totally out of line. And I mean, we've only really met the good spectrals, for all we know some - or even most - of them use their new superpowers for less noble purposes. Even the good ones are effectively using spirit powers to fight other spirits.

Except for the part where he noted he could just disarm Max and was like "Nah I'd rather commit preemptive murder"

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

Considering what Magnet Snake has said so far, it's possible. If it really is a fragment of some larger, more powerful being, then everyone might've thought it was a small enough fragment to not really matter much.

I've asked this before but, do we have any actual reason to believe thus far that such spirit fragmentation is even a thing?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I find it interesting that Spender is almost exclusively utilizing generic Spectral energy kung-fu of the sort Isabel's granddad teaches, and hasn't at all bothered with his actual unique powers. Probably a sign that he's not really loving around quite so much anymore, that he's exercising restraint.

I guess this also addresses how Max will have combat viability. His magnetism is useless on offense but Generic Spectral Power is a thing, and pretty potent at that.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Heavy Zed posted:

Man what is it you hate about anime?

Anime is pretty atrocious but Paranatural continuously makes fun of anime and anime tropes so I don't see the conflict of interests myself :shobon:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Zoolooman posted:

So anime it rules. :3

Zooloo what the gently caress is your avatar from it's adorable

Regy Rusty posted:

Guys Darth Windu does this in like every webcomic thread.

Yeeeep.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Darth Windu is just being tsundere please do not feed the tsunderes

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Darth Windu posted:

The blacksmith ghost: I noticed some of his stuff was just barely legible, does anyone have a transcription of everything he said? I also noticed some people in the comments calling him Forge, where did they get that from?

The Blacksmith Spirit, and the Doorman, are using a translateable cypher. There are translations of both out there

They're basically just speaking in the negative space of letters

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I can only think of Darth Nihlus from KOTOR 2 when I try to envision what Cursed Words would sound like.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Prison Warden posted:

A lot of info in this one. Spirit fusion can be used at will to give oneself super speed in combat. (Which I think we knew from Zack's comments.) And Spender may have usurped Issac as being MOST anime, since he uses the lions share of his POWER to keep the DARKNESS SEALED within his VERY SOUL. I'm half hoping he talks about switching to Second Gear when he unleashes his inner Hollow.

This is how I read it too. I'm guessing the Big Bad the ninja squirrels talked about him taking down is the very thing locked up in his head

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Also it's only natural that Spender would be the only one more anime than Isaac: Who would get along less well than the two people who are so very alike?

Too much alike

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

drat, Spender. That's pretty good improv poltergeist martial arts right there :golfclap:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Is the Paranatural website running like complete garbage for anybody else? I always seem to get slowdown on that site, and only that site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Jokes aside, it seems like Spender is a pretty competent fighter on his own, if a humongous nerd. Maybe even very competent, but Forge is a true badass.

Most likely, assuming he did in fact kill the strongest spirit, it was more the shadow creature controlling him like a meat puppet when it happened. The abrupt bigass fireball seems like a setup for him to go back into headspace to strike up a Faustian bargain to survive.