Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Hey Johnny, should more people read this comic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Man, he started out pretty good, but Zack has seriously improved since he began the comic. That's a really nice page.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

I don't know if this is considered gauche to do or not but you can see today's update, minus the alt text, at this link right here.

Well, the comic is up on the main site, so I don't see a reason to leech bandwidth from Zack without giving him any ad revenue.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Your way works too posted:

Except their spectral energy does not determine their powers. Their tools do.

Unless their tools determine their energy color but I don't think it does.

You bond with spirits of your color; he's suggesting that spirits' powers tend to be color-coded.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

LtStorm posted:

I've been calling her Reeltoreel. I want to know more about her and Manlizard either way. This is going to end up being like Gunnerkrig Court where I want to know more about everyone.

Apparently in stream (Zack streams with the creators of Vibe and... um... Demon is in the name of the other one's comic, but I can't remember what it is), Zack revealed that that duo's names are Cinnamon Sticks and Grecko Stucks, Stucks being the manlizard.

EDIT: Demon Kings!

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jun 8, 2013

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Oh god, Boss Leader is horrifying and hilarious.

She must be a medium for a spider spirit; those aren't bandages, it's all spiderweb.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

ronya posted:

Are foods normally ferromagnetic?

Unless these thieves are really into the canned goods, I suppose.

Max doesn't need them to be actually ferromagnetic; his powers aren't literal magnetism, it's more like how someone would think magnetism works given a very brief explanation. That said, they probably have some nonmetallic stuff, and it won't work on that.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Guys, I don't think it's possible for Isaac to get any more anime.

That's some really impressive art by Zack there, he really nailed the style.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

The doodle of Isaac on the whiteboard is the best.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

The pixelated mouths on the dog things are kind of weird. Really wonder what that's going to be about.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Johnny is completely insane and I love him for it. :allears:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Update! I really like the detail of Spender's face blooping away from the train.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

He's using his own cage head to make a shadow cage to hold the Shade Spirit in place. A constant battle to keep the horror in place and Spendor in Balance. And they can fuse :allears: If Spendor yells 'Gattai' then he's officially out anime-d Issac.

Fusion is their term for the communing thing, I think. Lucifer talks about how speed won't be helpful in beating Forge, and one of the main advantages of a communion is that you suddenly move really, really fast. But it puts strain on Lucifer to do so, and he's already got his hands full holding back the other spirit.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

If that were the case, wouldn't Spender just not wear the glasses, and lock them away somewhere instead? The fact that he wears them literally all the time suggests to me that he doesn't have any other option.

EDIT: And is a massive dork.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Tollymain posted:

Good news! There is no way he isn't showing up on the scene at some point :eng101:

What if they suddenly wind up in Rome? Johnny clearly stated they weren't going there. Checkmate, atheists :colbert:.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

What we need is someone whose tool is a cat.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hypocrisy posted:

Reading back, I finally got why possessed Max had two little tails for his speech bubbles. Scrapdragon has two mouths.

Or it's because Scrapdragon has two personalities! The possibilities are endless*!

*may not actually be endless

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Zach answered some questions on twitter, in art form!

I don't know why, but I really like Cinammon Stix. I want her to show up more, head into town to see all these juicy hweeyermz that Spender's got.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Isaac's life must be really exhausting if he's going MAXIMUM ANIME at all times.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Man, this is a really well-composed page. You get a clear idea of what everyone is thinking/feeling just from expressions alone, and it flows really well from person to person.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Pretty sure he possessed Johnny. He has a job to do, and there's no way he can do it if he's stuck in an item carried around by a non spectral. We're going to see him use Johnny to do something, hopefully next chapter.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

ProfZoom posted:

Totally, and I've been meaning to post this. "Schoolyard bully" is such a phoned-in archetype most of the time that I'm so pleased that Johnny actually has a personality that doesn't make me question why he has friends. Bonus points if we discover that his home life is relatively normal*.

*For Mayview, at least. But no bad/neglectful family.

Nah, there's really no malice in Johnny's actions. He doesn't punch nerds because of issues at home or because he has some kind of deep-seated hatred, he punches nerds because punching nerds is a blast and he loves it.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

A big flaming stink posted:

also spender's fault. really everything in this chapter is spender's fault

Seriously, Spender completely fumbled the situation in just about every possible way. Short of a student straight-up dying (which very nearly happened twice), I don't know how things could be worse.

Did we know before now that the shield was the Consortium's doing?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

They're not using "dogs" literally, it's a sign that they don't think much of the Cousinhood. It's implied to be another human organization that has something to do with ghosts. I would guess they're a lot more violent in eir methods and probably less accepting of mediums/maybe tool users. She asked that the kids go along because she wanted them introduced to Agent Day ASAP, because otherwise Spender could likely put it off indefinitely, and hide whatever he's doing that much better. She didn't expect the entire operation to go tits-up like it did, so when she finds Max unconscious, she realizes *something* disastrous happened, and she inadvertently lead the kids into it.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Brannock posted:

How do you explain "Inhuman choices can be made with the best --" (of intentions, presumably), then?

I think it'd be that she's consciously using children as pawns to try and work out what Spender is up to. While BL seems like a compassionate enough person at heart, she's setting a rather cold objective at the forefront, and while on a practical level she feels a need to achieve it through whatever means necessary, her emotional instinct is to be looking out for the kids rather than enlisting them in plots. She recognizes her own line of thinking as being pretty lousy from a being a good human being perspective.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

God drat Isaac, you really are a tool.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Mazerunner posted:

i'm sincerely sorry for not reading jojo

No need to apologize to us,the only person you're doing a disservice here is yourself. JJBA is fuckin' great.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Fecha posted:

Wow, I didn't peg Jeff for the Dota playing type. :haw:

It makes sense in retrospect; he's level one, he only has the mana for two stuns :v:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Tunicate posted:

Unless you just really like citrus.

FriggenJ posted:

relatively balanced people don't generally end up becoming spectrals

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Mina you terrible child go have lunch with your goddam treasure of a father this instant <:mad:>

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

The real spirit was the friends we made along the way.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

RandallODim posted:

Ms. Baxter is about to go in the bathroom while still on the phone.

Countblanc posted:

Ms Baxter hates work and is constantly stressed out, making her the coolest character

Truly, she is the most relatable character.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Maduo posted:

asking someone to tweak their pacing isn't unreasonable, asking someone to hire on an editor to their passion project webcomic is.

That said this probably would have been better received as two chapters with more of a clean break between hitball and stalking the teachers. That it's all somehow the same big chapter makes what's already a sprawling arc look even worse.

EDIT: to clarify I think the pacing on this tiny little chunk is actually okay! As long as we stay with these 4 stories, jumping between them in quick bursts isn't that bad a storytelling technique, if a little slow to satisfy due to delays. if it starts flashing to Zarei and Doorman and Suzy and whoever else again that's when it it'll crumble real quick.

I read this and was really confused for a bit, then realized that I'd forgotten that Hitball was still part of this chapter. :psyduck:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Dolash posted:

So is this a roundabout way of this kid joining the blackmailing Max train? She doesn't have photographic evidence like Suzy did, I don't think she'd represent a bigger problem than any of the other kids. Can't really figure where this is going.

Where it's going is she has a crush on Max.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

RandallODim posted:

I am excited to finally maybe learn just what the deal is with Garcia.

This is honestly what I'm most excited about now, too.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I think it's just that Hijack is actually a pretty understanding and empathetic individual (Hitball notwithstanding). He already felt bad about breaking Max's arm, he knows that Isaac would feel similarly bad (probably worse) if he thought he had accidentally killed Spender. So he made sure to reassure Isaac.

Really, they should just have Hijack possess Spender full-time, he's a much better person.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

And Zach’s wrists’ three hundredth birthday!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Web serials are certainly something that can be successful—there’s plenty of stuff put out online that has a significant following, and also end up getting published or further adapted (like The Martian). But it’s a very different format that requires different skills, and isn’t necessarily going to appeal to the same audience. And switching from a very well-produced webcomic to a prose serial done by someone new to the format is going to be offputting to a lot of people.

The update we have here is just too short to be enough of an update. Comics can come a page at a time and that works, because a picture is worth a thousand words, and whatnot. This just isn’t a strong start. I hope Zack can figure out something that works for them, but what we have in front of us right now ain’t it.