Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
That time-lapse video of him drawing a page still blows my mind every time I watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
To be fair, the first chapter is really rough in terms of both the art and the writing. The second and third chapters are strikingly better and much more consistent.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Couple interesting hints here:

- The Doorman was expecting "someone else": who else knows about this? Isaac implies, by referring to Max as the "new kid", that the other Activity Club kids also know about the Doorman. But for some reason I don't think that's who the Doorman was expecting.

- Isaac's vow was not sworn "without cause", which means Isaac may have lost control of his powers or used them too enthusiastically in the past and regretted it. This also ties in with how confident Isaac was about how he could "totally destroy" Ed and Isabel. He didn't take it well when Max teased him about calculating whether or not he could take the kids in a fight, either.

- Same with "You have seen the damage a lightning bolt can do", actually.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I dunno. I think this comic is a bit too light-hearted for something that dark to turn up. Who knows though - we're still in the early stages of the comic. But from what I can see, by the time Paranatural ends, those will have been the major conflicts and questions that will be resolved or answered:

-The excessive supernatural activity in the city
-The time snake in Max's Tool
-Max's grief over losing his mother

Frankly, my money is on the comic ending with Max coming to terms with his mother's passing.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Also as nice as he seems, I'm not sure Doorman is on the up and up. 2 pages ago he was calling for 'Master' not 'young master' asking if they had succeeded and last page he told us he was expecting someone else.

Dude's hiding something.

I bet you "Master" is another spirit/ghost/whatever they call it in this comic. The Doorman clearly interacts with them regularly, given his immediate mild amusement at Isaac's "human"-ness by referring to him as the shortcut. It's only amusing/unusual because Doorman is familiar with non-humans - otherwise it'd just seem normal to him.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Given the bat is glowing in the last panel, I'd wager it's the spirit possessing his Tool and not another entity. That was weird as heck though.

This also puts Max's vertigo and room-spinny from the previous page in perspective. Guess he wasn't just hamming it up.

quote:

She should. Would if she could. The comedy your ignorance breeds is wasted on my ears. Well, not my ears, exactly --

Given that the previous panel was Doorman reacting with extreme shock and then mumbling something out, and that our original introduction to Doorman was him expecting someone else, not Isaac, I'd wager "she" is whoever Doorman was expecting. "Ignorance" probably means Doorman doesn't get out much and is pretty much confined to that mansion - also supported by the first panel in today's page where he mentions that he's in hiding for his own and others' safety.

quote:

From which speaking esoteric languages won't protect you. And I wasn't referring to my faction, although you do underestimate us.

That second sentence actually makes me reconsider my prior speculation that "she" was the person/spirit Doorman was expecting. Hmm... The first sentence is probably referring to Doorman requesting that Spirit!Max not tell Isaac about this. Doorman switched into an esoteric language so Isaac wouldn't overhear, I bet. There's potentially another reason for this, but I don't think we have enough information to go off yet.

Back to that second sentence, "my faction" and Doorman's group, and whoever "she" is, there's at least three groups of hijinks going on here. And whoever Spirit!Max is affliated with isn't a major player yet, even though the spirit is obviously dangerous enough to command fear and respect.

quote:

Rolling tubes of screaming children, each as worthless as this sanctimonious fool's approval. If you must be pious, boy, choose a proper priest.

So we can conclude whoever is speaking via Max right now is very pragmatic and amoral. Not necessarily evil (though potentially so) but clearly contemptuous of ideas like justice, honor, and protecting others.

I wonder what the announcement will be. Twice-weekly Paranatural? Kickstarter? God I hope so :allears:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Ha, now that I look at the solution that's a fairly elementary cipher he used. What he did was invert each letter to draw only the negative space in each letter. He put a bit of a twist on it, but it's still pretty classic. No wonder that was solved so quickly.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

MikeJF posted:

So I guess the policy will be ciphered stuff and speculation is spoilered?

Eh, I wouldn't spoiler speculation. That just gets messy really quickly.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Meowjesty posted:

Give the man a prize!

:eyepop:

scarycave posted:

Voting's nice but what's this tidbit about a "cousinhood"?
Some kind of secret Templar order of mediums?

I'm betting rival gang of kids trying to clean up the city. Activity Club vs. the Cousinhood, go!

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
New comic. Blah blah.

"Grudge process" sounds pretty interesting. "Spiritual linguistics" suggests that he likely could communicate with Doorman, or anyone else who speaks that language.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Fried Chicken posted:

I think we are kinda glossing over the fact the dude just caught a bolt of lightning and disposed of it like it was NBD. He didn't even shift to dodge or catch, just calmly accepted and got rid of it, with all the drama of going to the store for milk.

Turned it into light, if the glow coming from his hand is any indication. And I think there've been hints in the past too that Mr. Spender has Light-based powers.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
New page since no one posted the link.

If it was just bullet-time, how does that explain everything being in apocalyptic-future mode?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Huh, I was expecting someone more evil/ominous/scary. This guy is just a big goofy lug. :3:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
It's a new strip!

Looking forward to the sparring.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

kidcoelacanth posted:

Next title page is up. I'm excited already :allears:

I hope Isaac's going to learn how to Suplex in this chapter.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Bigger pages!

Ominous foreboding spirit!

Weaponry!

I'm so hype for this chapter. Looks like we'll have some big fights.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
There seems to be three people in the store - who's minding the register?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
My only beef with Zach's style is those really awful fringe bangs that Max's family and Mr. Spender have.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I hope Isabel's grandpa owns a bowling alley.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

PleasingFungus posted:

I think we knew that already, but I'd have to go check.

I don't think it was explicitly mentioned, but it's implied with how Ed and Isabel show up to Max's house in their jammies at the same time. Isabel wouldn't have gone out of her way to pick up Ed otherwise when responding to a distress call.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
http://paranatural.net/chapter-4-page-9/

:c00l:

That's a one-piece suit, too - peep the zipper at his waist.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
So far this chapter we've seen an ominous spirit, Max at games & pizza night with his family, Isabel and Ed after training, and Mr. Spender getting ready for bed.

Isaac is up next, and I have a feeling that Isaac is going to run into the spirit from the chapter's opening. And given that last chapter Mr. Spender insisted to whoever was on the phone "there are no monsters in Mayview", I have a feeling that Isaac is going to stir up some trouble and run into another group of spectrals. Probably tying back into the title page, with "PLAYER 2 START".

Last chapter Isaac also mentioned that he'd seen "others in those weird suits", and we see Mr. Spender's zipper onesie both on today's page and on the title page.

edit: I don't know how I missed the summary on the title page for Chapter Four: "Max and the Activity Club investigate supernatural activity in Mayview's backwoods on orders from Mr. Spender's superiors." :ms: I guess?

Brannock fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 24, 2013

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Tollymain posted:

I think it slammed shut on its own.

Looks like it, since the door was opening inwards, not outwards. But what was he doing with his arm?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Oh, I got tripped up by the perspective there.

Man, it's been three days since the last page :colbert:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Spender has been sweating for the last couple pages. I wonder what he's trying to hide.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I wonder when Mr. Spender's cast page picture is going to be updated with his light-shurikens.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

kidcoelacanth posted:

Please note Dmitri smirkin' away in panel 6, after the lightning claims.

He was in Panel 3 looking like he was about to jump in and intercede. He walks away smirking in Panel 6 after seeing that Cody is taking care of it.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
No, I think that's the first time yeah.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Fight scene on Friday most likely, can't wait!

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
New page: http://paranatural.net/chapter-4-page-45/

I love those lil doggies.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I wonder if "THE" spirit was Max's Trashdrago.

If so this would also explain why a spirit of that strength is being stored at the school. It also explains why Spender was surprised at seeing Max's black aura - before stopping and reminding himself that black auras are pretty common (so it probably isn't even the trashdragon, right?).

I don't think Spender knows yet what Max's powers are like or who his spirit is.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I rear back my heavy head, and howl: updaaaaaaate

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
We'll probably find out on Friday after Garcia dresses down Max for being careless about his powers.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
While we're looking at old pages of Paranatural, I wonder if Max is fighting off possession here. The eye glows look familiar.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

skoolmunkee posted:

It also took me way too long to realize that the building is probably Isabel's grandpa's house. Look at all those spectral energies though!

Almost certainly - look at the guy in the background on the fourth panel. That's a trainee.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I'm almost positive this fight scene is a reference to a fight manga, possibly Holyland? I've seen that particular punch -> kick -> punch exposed face move before.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Splicer posted:

Well the most recent comic makes it sound like there's something else that at least Isaac feels could account for it.

We already know Isaac had a big outburst sometime in the past that he's trying to atone for. Probably has something to do with him being very confident that he could beat anyone in the club in a fight.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Max: Ness
Isabel: Paula
Ed: Jeff
Isaac: Poo

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'm honestly inclined to suspect the barrier exists (at least in part) to keep things in, like Scrapdragons "faction" (which of course begs the question, what are they factionalizing over?) and the implicitly existent factions working against him/it.

Pretty much everything is pointing towards Something being contained in Mayview, yeah. I would have laid bets on it being Isaac's spirit (explaining why Spender wants to keep him somewhat hidden and out of the loop) if not for Spender mentioning in this very comic that Isaac has been outside Mayview before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Level Slide posted:

I liked the awkward silence and Spender's equally awkward apology when he accidentally revealed how Max's mom went out. Max did look pretty upset when Spender went all EVERY LETHAL DISEASE.

I thought that was more Max being upset at a flippant response about Spender forgetting a detail that could have killed Max. I don't think we've gotten any confirmation about how Max's mother died yet.