Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Minnow abides.

Especially when she goes out bowling with Walter Sobchak and Donny Kerabatsos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Fealty to the First Gods! Honour to the red pariah!

well, that's an interesting painting, and something's up with the side of the page :thunk:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The lizards are Ssael x Ilganyag shippers

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Fealty to the First Gods! Honour to the red pariah!

well, that's an interesting painting, and something's up with the side of the page :thunk:

That's probably Duane's line to the Khert, the one that connects his body and his... Soul, I suppose? Ashley's said on Tumblr that a Khert sequence is coming in this chapter, so we're probably starting it next page, or at least soon.

Also huh, yeah, that's a heck of a thing to see among the Inak. So they believe in Ssael, in some form or another that does not necessarily line up with the Ssaelit view, as well? Duance would probably be interested in learning that, if it didn't already come up in conversation with Nanna. We're likely to learn more about that soon, on a tangent, since we're almost certainly going to get Duane and Ilganyag talking to each other for a while.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

quote:

Anonymous asked: How do you even go about planning the background of a Khert page? Lots of images of coral reefs?

I sketch the layout of it, then open up a program called Mandelbulb3D for rendering out 3D fractals. I already have the khert built inside it, so I’ll navigate around to find the views that match my sketch.

:stare:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
KAW KAW

It's easy to distinguish between what's 3D-rendered by her fractal program and what's drawn over it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Two pages, don't gently caress with the happy fishies or this'll be the last thing you see:

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 20, 2020

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Tenebrais posted:

I dunno, I'm not sure stories ever work out for the one that says "We should stay right here where we're good and safe the way we always have".
It's not even 'the way we always have' though, it's Nanna having lived through the initial purges whereas her hotheaded grandkids haven't.

I do believe Lori would protect the two-toes past the point most other humans would, but we've also seen that she's poor at saying no when orders come. If she was willing to condone the torture and mutilation of waterwomen her old friend Minnow brought in kindness I think she'd be willing to let the two-toes be cast out and killed if directly ordered, but maybe she's trying to leverage one thing for another.

EDIT: Basically, I understand why Nanna is putting faith in Lori, but she picked the wrong horse to back. As soon as the storm clears I think some firm orders are going to come in about 'relocating' the two-toes.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 22, 2020

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012

PetraCore posted:

It's not even 'the way we always have' though, it's Nanna having lived through the initial purges whereas her hotheaded grandkids haven't.

I do believe Lori would protect the two-toes past the point most other humans would, but we've also seen that she's poor at saying no when orders come. If she was willing to condone the torture and mutilation of waterwomen her old friend Minnow brought in kindness I think she'd be willing to let the two-toes be cast out and killed if directly ordered, but maybe she's trying to leverage one thing for another.

EDIT: Basically, I understand why Nanna is putting faith in Lori, but she picked the wrong horse to back. As soon as the storm clears I think some firm orders are going to come in about 'relocating' the two-toes.

I think you're on the right track here, Petra, but I'm not sure its Nanna fully backing Lori- I think she's just aware that the two toes are not in a position to negotiate anything. If they rise up the soldiers will easily wipe them out ( after all, she's probably seen fully armed and skilled warrior two toes defeated by Crescian army wrights and constructs, what chance do her teenage grandkids armed with scrap armor and sharpened spoons and zero actual combat training have? ). Their only options are either running away ( not at all possible with the storm around the temple right now, plus they'd lose everything they couldn't carry with them ) or sitting tight and hoping a tiny colony could escape the notice of the authorities.

And of course this is Unsounded so they're doubly screwed regardless.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It's possible Duane might start to resent his brother for some reason.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

"did this guy kill me? i think this guy killed me! that little so-and-so!"

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch15/ch15_27.html

Lem's excuse for lighting a caravan full of war prisoners on fire? "Not it!" Wow.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

His dead dude super memory is allowing him to remember Lem blaming the Crescians for an assassination he committed.

This is probably the point where the other shoe drops for poor Duane.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Xarbala posted:

His dead dude super memory is allowing him to remember Lem blaming the Crescians for an assassination he committed.

This is probably the point where the other shoe drops for poor Duane.
And the thing is, I feel like a lot of his anger is for the death of Mikaila rather than his own death and soul mutilation. It's not that he wouldn't prefer to be alive or that the past years haven't gnawed at him, but he can still find some closure for himself. He's an active agent in the world. And with memory bared objectively to him, he can also see the places where Lemuel wasn't right or where he needed something he wasn't getting, and see where he made his own decisions leading up to this, in hindsight. Mikaila was a little kid who was innocent in all this and she died horribly.

There's a reason the shoe is dropping with Lem standing behind a bleeding Mikaila.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 28, 2020

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Tar_Squid posted:

I think you're on the right track here, Petra, but I'm not sure its Nanna fully backing Lori- I think she's just aware that the two toes are not in a position to negotiate anything. If they rise up the soldiers will easily wipe them out ( after all, she's probably seen fully armed and skilled warrior two toes defeated by Crescian army wrights and constructs, what chance do her teenage grandkids armed with scrap armor and sharpened spoons and zero actual combat training have? ). Their only options are either running away ( not at all possible with the storm around the temple right now, plus they'd lose everything they couldn't carry with them ) or sitting tight and hoping a tiny colony could escape the notice of the authorities.

And of course this is Unsounded so they're doubly screwed regardless.
Also yeah you're right with this. I forgot this conversation is also happening with some humans in the area, although not hearing this, and that's probably also influencing Nanna's choice of words/rhetoric. She's learned the hard way that when you find a human offering whatever meager shelter or tilted deal keeps you and yours alive, you don't act anything but grateful where they might get wind of it.

I'm just really sad for all the two-toes.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Have we ever seen Mikala's corpse?

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

Have we ever seen Mikala's corpse?

We've seen her stabbed through the heart with a sword deep enough that the blade came at least several inches out the other side:

http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch07/ch07_102.html

And her walking into the khert while Duane reaches out for her lifeless hand while he was being dismembered:

http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch07/ch07_108.html

But I guess we haven't seen her full on child corpse but I'm assuming it has more to do with trying not to be unnecessarily distasteful then leaving bread crumbs for fan theories and big reveals.

Then again it is Unsounded so if I am wrong I might be somewhat surprised, but not completely shocked.

E: clarity

Twenty Four fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 30, 2020

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, I figured it was done to avoid abject bad taste.

But oh man, if this comic goes full-on Zombie of Monte Cristo and Lem has been raising Mikala this whole time that would be nuts.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

To be fair, That Fucker Bastion Winalils might have seen her tacitcast at his goons. But even if he were inclined to do the thing to the kiddo, it might be a limited-timeframe problem and he had his hands full with first Duane and then getting carved up by Lemuel.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

GreyjoyBastard posted:

To be fair, That Fucker Bastion Winalils might have seen her tacitcast at his goons. But even if he were inclined to do the thing to the kiddo, it might be a limited-timeframe problem and he had his hands full with first Duane and then getting carved up by Lemuel.
Reading back the scene, it's worse - he hears her telling Duane she's a tacit caster during their walk before the Bad Things happen. So I dunno if he had the inclination or time to do that to her, but he certainly had the knowledge she was a viable subject.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Twenty Four posted:

We've seen her stabbed through the heart with a sword deep enough that the blade came at least several inches out the other side:

http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch07/ch07_102.html

And her walking into the khert while Duane reaches out for her lifeless hand while he was being dismembered:

http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch07/ch07_108.html

But I guess we haven't seen her full on child corpse but I'm assuming it has more to do with trying not to be unnecessarily distasteful then leaving bread crumbs for fan theories and big reveals.

Then again it is Unsounded so if I am wrong I might be somewhat surprised, but not completely shocked.

E: clarity

15_26 shows the wound in the shoulder, not the heart. 15_28 has no sign of Mikaela's body. Dianne might have assumed she was dead, and she might well be dead, but Unsounded hasn't exactly been shy about dead children. I'm starting to think that her status might end up being a significant story point.

So.. is there actually a panel that shows her corpse? I haven't found one yet.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
There's no panel with her corpse besides Duane briefly imagining her cremation. But the Tumblr asked and Cope confirmed that was Duane picturing the scene and not an objective statement of reality.

There's a very long-running fan theory that Mikaila did, in fact, survive. Anybody who wants to get weirdly in-depth about theorizing, there's a fairly active Discord for it here: https://discord.gg/jFeGeZT

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Sette is actually Mikaila stuffed into a new body! :byodood:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch15/ch15_29.html
Kind of another confirmation that Lem was personally in on it.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

15_26 shows the wound in the shoulder, not the heart. 15_28 has no sign of Mikaela's body. Dianne might have assumed she was dead, and she might well be dead, but Unsounded hasn't exactly been shy about dead children. I'm starting to think that her status might end up being a significant story point.

So.. is there actually a panel that shows her corpse? I haven't found one yet.

I mean I suppose it's all possible, I don't have any inside info, but saying that on 15_28 there's no child corpse is pretty much a given. They took the time to make a huge sign that said "A gift from your Gefendur cousins... long live Queen Sonorie", of course they wouldn't just leave the body of a little girl they just murdered next to that sign.

"Hey guys, got a present for ya, the country you are at war with went out of their way to kill one of your kids, you're welcome!" isn't really the message they were trying to send.

All that said I hope she made it!

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

You know, it's true that Duane was not exactly conscious for long after Mikaila got stabbed, and not exactly lucid for a while after. Even her stabbing was not a deliberate act - a blinded Crescian essentially stumbled into her, I think?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

PetraCore posted:

You know, it's true that Duane was not exactly conscious for long after Mikaila got stabbed, and not exactly lucid for a while after. Even her stabbing was not a deliberate act - a blinded Crescian essentially stumbled into her, I think?

Sorta - she blinded him (and others) and he went "oh poo poo there's a second wright / she's a second wright / if I hesitate Duane Adelier, Decorated Hellnightmare Combat Caster, is going to turn my insides into my outsides" and lunged.

Ash posted:

Anonymous asked: Interesting, the way Duane is trying to convince himself that the Crescian-looking fellow who killed Mickie did so quite deliberately, and with a grin of vicious baby-murdering glee, at that. As I recall, the man in question seemed to have been blinded by her unexpected flashbang pymary, and stumbled into her at least semi-accidentally? (Just goes to show, you should never run with scissors, kids.) What was that guy's actual reaction, when he realized exactly who he'd just killed, if I may ask?

Horror at his own action, and then even more fear and anger because he’d just made the situation he was already upset about even worse.

No one who agrees to attack a man he has no personal grievance with should, in my mind, be a figure deserving of excessive sympathy, but we know this fellow was not intentionally targeting Mikaila. He only stabbed her because she blinded him and he was afraid. But Duane’s back was turned in that instant as he dealt with knife-guy, and he doesn’t know what sword guy’s expression was like. He didn’t see it. Anymore than he he’s ever seen Roger Foi-Hellick kiss Queen Sonorie’s hand. So his imagination is filling it in, desperately trying to shore up the foundation of his worldview in order to keep unwanted, undesired logical processes out.

I see this technique every day in Facebook comments.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 3, 2020

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Two pages today (and I think one before didn't get posted), including the return of our dearest and most beloved friend.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I love that the wright has to keep firming up the ice under Claggart. A+

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Finally, a responsible use of magic.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Ash posted:

Anonymous asked: Was Claggart's little reappearance here always planned or influenced by the positive response to him last chapter? I vaguely remember you saying that was the last we'd see of him.

Yeah, I rewrote this scene so I could show Claggart, Jon, and the Plat kids one last time. This takes place a few months before what we saw in chapter 14, while they were still marching down to Avelpit, and is really just for funsies. Lady Ilganyag wanted to take him some place happy, with the people he cared for either still alive, or not yet in his life. She’s a nice bird, see?

And maybe she can tweak the memory too, for his benefit. She’s pretty clever.

Ash posted:

Anonymous asked: I'm out of work, bored as hell, and I can't stop thinking about how pymary could be used by high-end kitchens. Are there chefs doing that? Maybe swapping in a surprising texture aspect, or doing medieval banquet -style presentation where you make meat look like the alive animal. I think I'd start by trying to do something where the servers bring out a giant soup tureen to the table and there's two little ships doing naval battle in it.

For sure. I gotta start planning out the Queen’s Treenahinn feast soon, and it’ll be full of things like this.

The first spell Mikaila ever did was to swap the flavour Aspect of her dinner veggies with a cake on the counter, so her parsnips tasted like honey and spice. If Matty ever learns pymary this is the kind of thing he’ll be into. Matty Quigley the pymaric gourmand!

But for the Queen’s feast I expect there’ll be an enormous Yerta carved out of butter. She’ll walk around to every diner so they can spread some of her backside on her rolls, top their coffee off with creamer squeezed from her greasy bosoms, and sweeten it with a tuft of her spun-sugar hair.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 5, 2020

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
that is a sublimely disturbing image

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Butter, cream, and sugar: the diabetes golem.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Ash posted:

Anonymous asked: What wound does Duane think actually killed him? We for the most part only see injuries that where intended to incapacitate him. The poisoned bolts, his eyes being put out and the broken bones from the masked mans club, doesn't seem like it'd be enough to kill him before Bastion finished his work. Unless the poisoned bolts where meant to kill?

Okay, here’s some modest fuel for you theorists:

The thing that ultimately killed Duane’s body that night is the thing that Bastion made him drink.

hm

she also posted a little prior to this about Delicieu's Thing, or at least addiction and moneymaker, being bottling sensations and memories (see: the concentrated pain he dosed Bastion with in the flashback)

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
lol Duane's a loving dork, more power to him.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
wellthankyouforbuyingourmeatballsgodkeepyouinbattle

(I love Jon sarcastically giving the thumbs up at Duane's stellar performance)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

wellthankyouforbuyingourmeatballsgodkeepyouinbattle

(I love Jon sarcastically giving the thumbs up at Duane's stellar performance)

that's a pretty good save tbf, i probably would have just pymaried myself into the black depths of the sea so my memory of the incident was forever erased from reality

also duane's expression in panel 3 lol

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Those... aren't eyes in her wings. :aaaaa:

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
No wonder she got so many black tongue husbands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

isndl posted:

Those... aren't eyes in her wings. :aaaaa:

Twattybird.