Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Today's update. Looks like Jivi's learned well from Matty; what he said is basically a more eloquent version of what Matty told him here and here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Was looking back at the title back and, uhh, everyone on the path is dead, right?

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Oh no, ruffles went insane.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

Was looking back at the title back and, uhh, everyone on the path is dead, right?

Huh, Siya has been tearing pages out of her notebook, never noticed that before.

If Duane has a waterwoman pearl, maybe he's going to stick it in the chest of the dead water baby in Lori's office.
Probably so when the Aldish murder everyone inside he can think "I saved a child!" :dumb:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Father of the year.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
He's actually aiming for 'Best father in centuries'.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Why yes, that's also the effect a child's cry has on me, how remarkable.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
three new pages

we're approaching anti-child levels equivalent to 1.65 drakengards

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
ah, now there's the unsounded i know and love

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

:smith:

Man what the gently caress are those things

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

[[[error]]] Damn not found.
The Aldish Gestapo are even more horrifying than everything else we've seen of Aldish society would make us imagine.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Wonder if the Aldish Gestapo are being truthful here about Quigley. Also can't imagine how Matty will react.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

FAT BATMAN posted:

:smith:

Man what the gently caress are those things

One of the comments mentioned that the monsters are visual shorthand for the people who did the torturing. Uaid didn't see them as people, so he remembered them as monsters for what they did.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

habeasdorkus posted:

Wonder if the Aldish Gestapo are being truthful here about Quigley. Also can't imagine how Matty will react.

quigley probably did report vienne to the authorities, he never shared her idealism and was convinced that the state would crush them like bugs if her sedition was ever put into practice (and understandably so, given that he was one of the people alderode deployed to do the crushing)

odds are he very foolishly believed his family would be given clemency if he took the initiative

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

habeasdorkus posted:

Lying to her that she's betrayed and alone would be interrogation 101, but I think it tracks with Quigley's attitudes. He thinks Duane is more of an idiot than a monster; his support for the regime that tortured Vienne to death is just the mistake of a delusional fool. I suspect he would be quite a lot harsher on Duane if he didn't have similar mistakes to regret (and I don't think he just feels bad about being an enforcer for Alderode, because he has no qualms about dirty work.)

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Possibly relevant flashback starting here: https://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch15/ch15_87.html

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

That flashback doesn't strike me as Quigley being ready to rat out Vienne. And it sounds like there were plenty of people in their community who might have done it themselves. At the same time, it's entirely possible the torture squad is being honest as that would be a way to break Vienne.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it does to me. he resented uaid and matty for taking his wife's attention away from him, and while he couldn't do anything about matty, tipping off alderode about uaid would get rid of both him and vienne's revolutionary fervor in one tidy sweep

turns out alderode sweeps with a much bigger broom than he believed

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

habeasdorkus posted:

That flashback doesn't strike me as Quigley being ready to rat out Vienne. And it sounds like there were plenty of people in their community who might have done it themselves. At the same time, it's entirely possible the torture squad is being honest as that would be a way to break Vienne.

To me it reads like he's on the fence (he literally says "I don't know what to do.") When the other guy threatens to out Vienne himself Quigley's reaction is hesitant and unconvincing, and as soon as he's alone he starts complaining about how much trouble Vienne is for him. By itself the scene doesn't point to Quigley selling her out but it seems like it was put there to plant the seed for the current scene's payoff.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Wasn't there something about the Dammakhert allowing Aldishmen to sense lies among each other?

Though I suppose such a thing would be easy to cheat or exploit by government interrogators.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 17, 2021

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

Wasn't there something about the Dammakhert allowing Aldishmen to sense lies among each other?

Though I suppose such a thing would be easy to cheat or exploit by government interrogators.

Extremely easy to cheat by government interrogators since it doesn't apply to Soud.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

I have not noticed on first viewing, but the 3 interrogators have balls and dicks fully drawn, what the gently caress.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Regallion posted:

I have not noticed on first viewing, but the 3 interrogators have balls and dicks fully drawn, what the gently caress.

Cope talked about this on her Q&A tumblr, it's a deliberate choice to emphasize Vienne's humanity vs the men torturing her.

Ashley Cope posted:

I was also determined to give Vienne her dignity and not objectify her. That was part of the reasoning for making the torturers monsters, so that she was all the more human and real in contrast. She’s the one with dignity. They’re the ones with their nuts hangin’ out and their tongues lolling. It’s probably too over-the-top but I get petty and mad when I’m irritated by the injustices of the world, I guess :)

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I was going to make a joke about the very suggestive placement of the jacket sleeves in the bottom left of today's comic, but I guess it might actually have meaning?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

These guys seem pleasant.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
On the way back, someone's going to pry me out those wall nipples.

definitely some ricker face shots in this page har har har

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

3 panel wind up backhand, nice.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Apparently there are rules to how you raze a Crescian Gefendur shrine to the ground. Stealing from the candy bowl is verboten.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I gotta say I really like Ash's fat men on the cast and how she obviously loves drawing them lol

beloved and inexplicably hot Captain Claggart, Ana's dangerous but interpersonally pleasant boyfriend, odious scumbags Starfish and Ricker, the gentle and benevolent monarch of Sharteshane, and undoubtedly some bit players I've forgot

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I gotta say I really like Ash's fat men on the cast and how she obviously loves drawing them lol

beloved and inexplicably hot Captain Claggart, Ana's dangerous but interpersonally pleasant boyfriend, odious scumbags Starfish and Ricker, the gentle and benevolent monarch of Sharteshane, and undoubtedly some bit players I've forgot

That wright that was travelling with the red berry boys before Duane thrashed him.

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
My favorite part about this page is that Duane is still effectively dressed up as Ssael. In a Gefunder temple. Someone is going to rip that mask off and take his face with it. This is going to be a beautiful clusterfuck. :allears:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

DrSnakeLaser posted:

That wright that was travelling with the red berry boys before Duane thrashed him.

oh yeah she did also enjoy drawing Bett being smug, then owned, then smug, then owneder

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

several characters have entered the telefrag zone

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

"Mistress Lori's disgraced because her twin ran off! With a boy!!! Anyway where's Jivi"

-Sara "what is my twins problem" Litriya

If the two escapees run into the Crescian army would that improve their survival odds or as disgraced twins are they treated as deserters and lose their sacred benefits?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
All fun and games until you're the one who dies horribly instead of inflicting horrible deaths on your enemies.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

DrSnakeLaser posted:

"Mistress Lori's disgraced because her twin ran off! With a boy!!! Anyway where's Jivi"

-Sara "what is my twins problem" Litriya

If the two escapees run into the Crescian army would that improve their survival odds or as disgraced twins are they treated as deserters and lose their sacred benefits?

I've said it before, Duanne is the only party present who doesn't mean death for at least half of the sacred twins.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Which is doubly hilarious given he's most of the reason they're now totally exposed and squarely in the middle of an instant warzone.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Drakyn posted:

Which is doubly hilarious given he's most of the reason they're now totally exposed and squarely in the middle of an instant warzone.

And I wonder how many of the twins deigned to live will take a lesson from experiencing the mortal terror their siblings have known for their whole life.

Probably not many, given this story's stake take on humanity.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Three pages today, and turns out there's more than one Yerta statue that's secretly dangerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

That's really loving terrifying somehow!