Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Nary's intriguing because he has such presence in a narrative he's largely absent from. We've had a few brief snapshots of him courtesy of Sette's memories, but for the most part Ashley's done a great job writing him as this living, breathing influence on the lives of our central players, without really having him do much of anything actively on-screen. No less than three major characters are chiefly motivated by their respective relationships with Nary, and still others pay him passing lip service. He's an object with real weight in the story, and what's more an increasingly complicated object for someone hidden so far from view. Duane and Nary, to my knowledge, haven't had a single on-screen conversation; merely a few allusions to off-screen affairs, yet Nary's (and Duane's) sense of self is so strong the hypothetical dialogue writes itself. Powerful stuff.

Didn't mean to gush so much when I started writing this post, but I'm a big fan of writers who can make out-of-sight, out-of-mind characters retain a strong sense of presence and permanence within a story. Say what you want about him as a person, Nary's an expertly-written character for someone whose physical presence is limited to less than 1% of the run time. I don't think Ashley reads this thread, but if she does, I take my hat off to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Unsounded: fish all shamefully got their titties out, this entire development's unspeakable

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Straight White Shark posted:

Unsounded: fish all shamefully got their titties out, this entire development's unspeakable

This is probably the best line in the comic, and I'm including the rant that gave us "death is the gods' crime".

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The posts in this thread pointed out to me that the RSS for Unsounded died a week or so back. I hope this custom feedity rss works out.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Rexxed posted:

The posts in this thread pointed out to me that the RSS for Unsounded died a week or so back. I hope this custom feedity rss works out.

Her site got hacked, so she killed the blog and it looks like the RSS feed was a causality as well. She's said she's going to rebuild it all during the next chapter break.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Good.

I need my weekly dose of Triple M.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Bad Seafood posted:

Good.

I need my weekly dose of Triple M.

Hahaha, its amazing how many people keep getting bothered by him in the comments and arguing with him.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
whats this about somebody named triple m

are they the ken m of webcomic commenters

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
There was a dude named Mad'Monster'Maniac who would comment on the comic, and he was bad and wrong about almost everything.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ashley use Disqus or something, and if she does I would expect to see his comments voted down pretty rapidly.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Well, give your well-wishes to Ashley because she's pretty much directly in the path of the hurricane.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Fabricated posted:

Well, give your well-wishes to Ashley because she's pretty much directly in the path of the hurricane.

She's made it through ok, but her power is going to be out for days, so don't panic at the lack of monday's update!

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Duane lost an arm, but, I guess he wasn't all that attached to it.

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe
Could someone explain what's happening, because I am back to the Fight With The Silver level of confusion here. Why is the water mad at them? How did it get inside Uaid? How did the shield come down? What?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ATP5G1 posted:

Could someone explain what's happening, because I am back to the Fight With The Silver level of confusion here. Why is the water mad at them? How did it get inside Uaid? How did the shield come down? What?

The water in this world is literally made of murderers. The sky is also made of murderers. This is a horrible place to live.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What a coincidence that this part in the comic was right as there was a hurricane in the real world.

Cuazl
Mar 19, 2009

ATP5G1 posted:

The party is travelling downriver inside Uaid, who can't walk on land at the moment due to an injury. They were passing through a battlefield when a bunch of senet jerks attacked. I don't think we've been told what their problem is.

The water jerks just called for help, so the air jerks made a tornado and also grabbed Duane. This knocked over Uaid, and now everyone's underwater. Dwayne seems to have lost an arm. Nobody is having fun.

The stripy jerk in the last two panels is the talking one that keeps showing up. She was snooping around earlier. She doesn't seem to be friends with the others.. Seems like it's her cue to do something.

(Links mostly :nws: for fishtitties, obviously.)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ATP5G1 posted:

Why is the water mad at them? How did it get inside Uaid?

It's a difficult question, because water is impossible to describe.

Though I think the shield was maintained by Quigley, who got a bit distracted here; and also it might not have extended to the parts of Uaid's hull where the giant turtles rammed a big hole.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

This entire development's unparsable.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think i speak for all of us when i say poor uaid :smith:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Cuazl posted:

The party is travelling downriver inside Uaid, who can't walk on land at the moment due to an injury. They were passing through a battlefield when a bunch of senet jerks attacked. I don't think we've been told what their problem is.

ANOTHER faction out to grab Duane?? Considering he's dead, he sure is a popular guy :)

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.

ATP5G1 posted:

I think you're misunderstanding Uaid's shield. Vienne, Matty's mom and Uaid's creator, figured out how to make the non-first material parts of Uaid act like a first material. This means that Uaid, when the field spreader is active, is immune to all pymary. However, that just protects from direct pymary, not from pymary that utilizes a conventional material to cause damage. So like, if you stripped the solidity and weight aspects from a rock and tried to throw those at Uaid while the field spreader was on, it would not connect. However, if you used pymary to pick up and heave a giant boulder at Uaid, it's gonna hit and cause damage - being a first material provides no protection from purely physical phenomenon, only from direct casting. While the field spreader is off, the non-first material parts of Uaid (anything made of metal on him, basically) is just as vulnerable to pymary as regular materials are. The shield protecting Quigley against the rain up top is its own separate thing - doesn't seem like it was made to stand up to actual attacks, given how easily it got broken.

In this case, the water women that Duane's been whalloping start shrieking and calling the sky-dudes who mashed that dong up on Quigley's face a few pages back. The sky-dudes, who have some control of weather patterns in conjunction with the water women, made themselves into a giant tornado/waterspout. While this was done by magical creatures, it's still a physical phenomenon, so when they hit Uaid with it, it ripped his whole chest cavity open and the water came pouring in. Since the field spreader only applies to making things pymary-proof, once you breech Uaid's chest, there's nothing holding back the water, nor was there ever.

The water women incited the giant sea turtle thing to attack Uaid, but Duane told Quigley what it was called in Old Tainish - the language necessary to cast a spell - and Quigley is killing it by having the khert rip it into pieces, layer by layer.

The characters note that the water women are not usually as belligerent as they're currently being, and something's got them riled up, but they have no idea what or why. It really helps with the action sequences to not try and read a page every other day, but to either let it build up for a week or two or read back a week or two, so you're not trying to remember the sequence correctly sometimes a month down the line.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
Duane is really not having a good time.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
:rip: _Uaid_, you were too good for this world of fish titties.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Yak of Wrath posted:

Duane is really not having a good time.

This could be the title of the webcomic.

Duane is really not having a good time: Feat: ingrate brat

Duane is really not having a good time: and the mystery of the murdered children

Duane is really not having a good time: ingrate brat blows up a city and damages the fabric of reality.

ect ect

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Duane is really not having a good time: drowning in fish tits

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
New Page; New Title:

Duane Can Never Really Die: He's Fueled By Wank

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I was thinking "You used my butt for a HILL??" had potential for a title.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
Nope, it's gotta be "Don't like him? Spit in his hat!"

(Go check the update, it's incredible, Sette is the best.)

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
And we're back with our regularly scheduled astral flesh horror. :nws: probably.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Khert looking more and more like Goblins

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Thanks for posting about the return, it didn't show up in the old RSS and it looks like there's a couple thousand people using the old RSS in Feedly.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I've made a huge mistake.

pip pip, smell me immaculate butthole

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

So are Iori and Lori twins? They certainly look similar.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Oh yes, ritual twin murder. We needed another reminder of how hosed Unsounded's world is.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Cat Mattress posted:

Oh yes, ritual twin murder. We needed another reminder of how hosed Unsounded's world is.

Wow, rude.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

Ritual twin sacrifice. :colbert:

also we'll get to that in a bit but they only sacrifice one of the twins, the other's skull doesn't join the matched set until she passes away after a hopefully long and distinguished service to the church and/or state

DrSnakeLaser posted:

So are Iori and Lori twins? They certainly look similar.

doubt it, I get the impression that iori was a respected member of the community at least until the flying accident and refusing to get shanked for religous reasons makes you a social pariah (and she'd be the one refusin', her sister probably wouldn't be running this place if she was supposed to be the disposable one and sposed instead)

we've actually seen a twin sacrifice before in a flashback at some point but it wasn't explained, but now we're in a chapter set in a Gefendur twin-shrine

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 27, 2018

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh wow, the twins overheard that. I figured Matty whispered it to Jivi.

That reaction is pretty disturbing, really. I wonder if this is part of why Siya seems rather despondent and such, knowing what awaits her. I imagine that sort of thing would affect you quite a bit.

I need to reread this sometime. I missed and/or forgot a lot I think. Maybe check out the side material too, since there's so much only explained there.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

Oh wow, the twins overheard that. I figured Matty whispered it to Jivi.

That reaction is pretty disturbing, really. I wonder if this is part of why Siya seems rather despondent and such, knowing what awaits her. I imagine that sort of thing would affect you quite a bit.

I need to reread this sometime. I missed and/or forgot a lot I think. Maybe check out the side material too, since there's so much only explained there.

It's not mandatory because the comic really does a pretty good job of covering important relevant things in a timely fashion, but the author's put so much thought and effort into the world, and is a good enough writer as well as artist, that it's fun to browse her impromptu tomes of wisdom.

Speaking of:

quote:

Efheby don’t really share a single social standard because they are not a social species. Rather they are fiercely territorial, each one staking out a claim on a piece of the continent and fighting off trespassers with little mercy. They hoard space, wealth, and humans from each other, and have only become increasingly neurotic and unfriendly towards their own kind as the centuries have ground on and their numbers have dwindled.

Of course they weren’t always like this. In the First World they prized each others’ company, making love and exchanging experiences through their “wet bite.” Then humans showed up and changed the game. Efheby were drawn to them, became infatuated and obsessed with them, and began shunning their own kind in favour of human experiences. Humans were like a drug; a curse from the gods and also a gift.

Ruckmearkha disgusts those few efheby remaining because Ruckmearkha seems to fall legitimately and romantically in love with humans, and has in the past worked with them to steal from and even kill his own kind. Ruckmearkha is a junkie, and a shameless traitor to his species.

even other mind-drinking snakepeople think he's a creepy horrible weirdo :allears:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
What if Deep Thought had a sexy hologram?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

A hologram you literally cannot beat. Quite the tease, I can see why the king would want it.

Really though, it's very interesting seeing the king's view on his country and laws. Both he and the country are about perfect reflections of one another.