Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

The whole Unsounded comic is very roughly based on a freeform roleplaying game she ran for several years. Duane and Sette were side characters in it, Bastion was a main character, and I believe Murkoph was recurring.

In the RP Duane was a ghost who ended up being devoured by the lich-king that lived underneath Hanghorse in Sharteshane so I think people who are already making decisions that Murkoph is a bad addition to the cast are jumping the gun a tiiiiiny little bit. Those linked comics were based on the RP, which also had a lot of Planescape rules in effect and included travel to modern Earth. The comic is VERY loosely based on it.

Also, as a creative person myself, I can definitively say that favorite character =|= protagonist. Villains are by nature more fun to write than someone you expect the reader to sympathize with. They have fewer boundaries on their behaviors, they're more pro-active, they're just generally good times to work with. I doubt Murkoph being Glass's favorite character indicates she's expecting her readers to consider him a protagonist.

Wow. Wow between all the stuff on her DA and your sperging about it here Unsounded seems more like a dumping ground for all her favorite OCs than anything. I always assumed the story would smooth out once Sette and Duane had some room to breathe, but honestly I don't see that happening now with a new sexy man OC of hers being introduced every chapter or so.

Also, that stuff in the middle about the nature of Duane brushes uncomfortably close to being a spoiler, in my opinion. I agree with whoever said that supplementary material or historical stuff should be under spoilers for people who don't want to read about Cope's "answer to a sexy lich" and other things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

PleasingFungus posted:

Lumpkin's whole argument is that the comic isn't following the course as the RP; that is, there's no reason to think that Duane is a ghost/sexy-lich.

Duane isn't the ghost/sexy lich, this is. I'm direct quoting here there, but I didn't want to link to more background material. Considering that every other character from that RP that she's taken the time to give detailed digital paintings to has shown up in the comic so far, I'd be comfortable betting a large sum that the lich shows up sooner or later. My point wasn't that it's going to follow the RP. I'm concerned with the introduction of more pet characters of hers when the story hasn't really given the ones she already added time to breathe.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 13, 2013

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Crisco Kid posted:

I've been aware of Murkoph and Sette for a long time based on Ashley's other works, but in the context of Unsounded itself, he's only been in a handful of pages and his face is visible in all of two. Two pages. I get that people are extrapolating based off a ton of information from outside the comic, but we don't know how much of that is relevant in the Unsounded universe or storyline. Everything ya'll are worried about may indeed come to pass, but so far in the work itself we have very little information except a villainous character tricked Sette and is actually a bad, creepy dude. It's pretty unfair to the comic to be drawing so many conclusions and speculating on motivation beyond that.

I don't think it's objectionable to go :stare: "Really?" at some of the information we have so far. I thought that assuming Murkoph is a pedophile rapist seemed excessive, but this last page certainly open to that interpretation. Really at this point it doesn't seem like there's much else to discussion on the topic besides turning around on vary degrees of "EW!" and "Maybe it won't be so bad!" So is there any other topic to talk about before we sink into even more degrading hyperbole?

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 24, 2013