Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
For how much he was built up, Stockyard certainly didn't hang around for too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

This is why it's important to put together a good severance package for your people.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Gonna have to side with the Baron on this one. I've definitely been there, flight or fight, only to have my emotions catch up with me later.

Sette's had a lot to chew on today.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Starfish was never gonna die off-screen or just by happenstance. He's the arc villain.

We're probably gearing up for the climactic confrontation right now.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Normally I'd post something more substantial than an image response but this comic is literally the first thing I thought of after reading today's page.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Gabriel Pope posted:

Not really. We've seen plod handlers numbering their plods, though, so it might indicate that Delicieu got started as a run of the mill work zombie at one point. Experiment gone wrong?
Ashley sometimes posts on /co/ after the day's page has been posted. She confirmed that Delicieu is not a plod, just worn and ugly.

Given how two-toes tend to get treated in Unsounded, my guess is at one point he was involved in a line of work where maybe "Human" rights were temporarily forfeit, and branded that his employers could keep track of him. Alternatively, there are some real world civilizations that used to use tattoos to mark criminals, so it's possible that's his inmate number from a previous stint in a cell.

It's also possible it's just a curious character detail and we don't need to know its significance.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Ashley confirmed some named characters would die this chapter. She did not give any names. I also doubt she would singled out Starfish specifically to spoil.

Since then Toby and Stockyard have died, satisfying the bare minimum requirement for named characters on the chopping block. Whether anybody else important dies is anyone's guess.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

neogeo0823 posted:

Also also also, the weird giant eel-boss thing has faces for eyes.
Specifically, the faces of the prisoners injected with silver.

If I'm reading Cutter's monologue right, not even death is now a release for them. The silver is keeping their conscious souls intact instead of letting them scatter and disperse into the Khert.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Autonomous Monster posted:

Well, Delicieu's assertion is that dispersal into the Khert wasn't a release for them either.
I took it to mean their negative (and positive) emotions linger in the Khert while their sense of self is at least dismantled (and possibly reassembled, I thought - can't remember, it's been awhile). Delicieu's concern seems to be less people as individuals and more their experiences as unexpressed energy.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Yeah, I always thought I had a pretty good bead on the flow of the action, but these last couple pages have completely lost me at points.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

You know, this only just occurred to me. Wasn't it confirmed awhile back that the ocean is beyond the reach of the Khert?

If they actually do manage to flood that thing out, all those miserable souls will be trapped in pain at the bottom of the ocean forever. Kinda bleak, unless I'm misremembering something.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Tollymain posted:

well, they aren't really souls. not whole souls, anyway. just the pain and trauma and grief and all that jazzy fun stuff.
I read Cutter's speech as him saying he kept their souls from dispersing and separating, keeping them whole, conscious, and lucid.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Fair enough.

It's a terrible fate either way. Ashley probably won't do this, but I'm hoping they'll manage some form of release.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Least that's all the souls freed. :unsmith: Looks like Ana and Knock are both done for though. :smith:

Alright Sette, do your stuff.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Quinton posted:

Sette's flashbacks to those scenes with her Da are so disturbing when you pay attention to the X'd out panels and margins that imply that she's seriously rewriting things to make them happier and upbeat.
I can't believe I never noticed this before.

I always knew Sette was inventing the reality she wanted to live in but wow, nice uncomfortable little touch.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Please adopt Sette when this is all over Duane, thanks in advance.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Starfish is going to die.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

She can also "Smell" magic, which nobody else in the world can do (that we've seen).

My money's on her being some manner of homunculus. Together she and Duane can be artificial life buddies.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Guess they don't call 'em the Red Berry Boys for nothing.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Show us the body Ashley.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Fan favorite Murkoph probably factors into the equation somewhere.

Can't imagine having that dude around helps keep a pain-powered flesh and silver construct stable and secure.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Yeah, Murkoph escaping the Khert is the obvious play here.

It'd be funny though if Starfish survives the explosion only to run into him. It'd probably be the first time anybody in this thread was actually happy to see Murkoph.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Gonna be honest here and say despite it being the obvious plot turn to take I'm really hoping Murkoph isn't Ssael.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

That's my hope, like perhaps he's the manifestation of Ssael's rejected id or something what with how the Khert seems to divvy up memories and desires. I dunno.

Ashley's got a lot of options here, I just hope she doesn't pick that one.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I feel like thus far Unsounded - Duane in particular - has managed to present a relatively nuanced take on religion, treating it as a thing with real weight, importance, and presence in its characters' lives (rather than a substitute for personality or an excuse to write an author's tract). Duane's faith causes a lot of problems for him, but it's also the wellspring of his principles and the emotional rock that keeps him going when all else seems lost. He's stubborn and judgmental, but also genuinely caring, compassionate, thoughtful, and selfless; and a host of other things. He's real and human, and his religion's part of that.

With how even-keeled Ashley's been about the whole thing, after all the pain and suffering Duane's gone through only to persevere because of his convictions, "Surprise, your god's actually an arrogant serial rapist murderer pederast megacreep" would leave kind of a bad taste in my mouth. Even if she wants to tackle the "Sorry, your gods are DEAAAAD/wrong/indifferent/inconsequential" angle, there are a lot better ways she could do it than "Sorry, turns out you worship Ted Bundy."

Apropos of nothing, it's not really something I'd worry about since Ashley's proven her skill as a writer several times over, but as a fairly common twist in this sort of fantasy literature it's something that's been on my mind.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Now there's a stinger.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 7, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I'm just glad Unsounded is back.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The previous chapter being what it was, I'm glad to see people happy and enjoying themselves.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

IIRC the Khert is something specifically tied to the continent the story takes place on. By washing Cutter's silver-tongued magical construct out to sea, our heroes have effectively isolated it and cut it (and Starfish) off from the rest of the world forever.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Worse than deadly.

Dying at sea is the equivalent to getting locked out of the afterlife in this setting (since the Khert's a part of that too). Given the apparent reincarnation aspect, drowning is basically eternal damnation.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Might be a penance thing? "Remember the blood of those you've killed," or something. Wouldn't be surprised to learn Ashley's got a huge folder full of worldbuilding details she lets out on a slow drip.

I've heard a lot of people complain Unsounded gets a bit exposition heavy at times, but that's mostly reserved for when it has to roll out and explain large concepts. It's a lot more subtle and economical when it comes to the little touches that make things believable.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Or he's just kinda hosed up, but that works too.
Either or.

I dunno, just feels a step removed from "Bad guy licks the blade of his knife to show he's twisted," so on some level I wanna feel like there's at least a little bit more to it than that. It's fine if there isn't though.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Neat seeing how glamour perception works.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Duane's smile and optimism: regained.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Between Duane, Quigley and Bastion, I'm beginning to suspect that all Aldish wrights are terrifying, ostentatious dorks.
That's most wizards in most settings, honestly - and all D&D wizards without exception.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Bastion's childhood science fair projects must've been the talk of the academy.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

"We killed your brother in the name of political expediency."

"Harsh but fair."

"Also we killed your niece and one of our guys purposefully and deliberately damned your brother's soul to wander the earth instead of finding spiritual release in the afterlife we know to exist because our scientists can literally look into it."

"Wait, what?"

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Sometime shortly after he released Nier, Taro Yoko was asked during an interview whether or not he felt his stories were depressing because so many of his character's died. His response, as far as I'm able to recall it, was something along the lines of "What matters isn't whether they lived or died, but whether or not they achieved salvation."

It's one of my favorite creator quotes and I feel like it applies pretty succinctly to Elan's character arc.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Muddled action scenes aside, this has been a really good chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I'd rather not have Murkoph secretly be Ssael but I'd be okay with Murkoph being like, I dunno, the innate darkness within humanity that Ssael shed when he transcended human mortality or whatever, given its own will by the Khert.

Duane's faith is a really important and interesting facet of his character so it'd leave a bad taste in my mouth if all that build up was for the twist that ha ha you actually worship the worst human in history, joke's on you.