Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hallgerd
Dec 10, 2011
What this thing is has been revealed (I think) in the kind of fringe wiki/formspring world details if you want to take a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hallgerd
Dec 10, 2011

Goatmask posted:

So whats the deal with the eels? Spirits or something? Some smoke eels turned up earlier didn't they?

They're ghosts that manage to attain a physical form, some sort of error in the khert. They can only hold on to things like smoke, mist, etc. though.

The author's formspring has a ridiculous amount of extra detail about the comic. I don't know if it's good or bad because it can kind of spoil you on mysteries or interesting bits of the setting, but it's huge. Someone put together a searchable archive of the formspring answers which can be handy for finding stuff out although the search function is kind of lacking. Still, answer to a 'what are smoke eels?' question found through it.

I think they mainly just get used as an atmospheric effect in the comic itself.

Hallgerd
Dec 10, 2011
Yeah, that comparison's been directly called out a few times. It's a code underpinning the reality of the comic. If you use the right language and the right commands you can do stuff like pymary. I mean see:

Formspring posted:

How -do- plod-handlers command and rein their charges? Pymaric alteration of their perceptions and/or thoughts (to whatever degree that they have thoughts)?

Plods run on a core set of directives that fools the khert into thinking they're living organisms, and the khert in turn provides the basest impulses of life. This gets them moving but without a handler's more precise directions, a plod will default to attacking and consuming. What the handler can do, though, is tap into functions isolated for him in the khert, and turn his workforce towards more useful actions than attacking each other.

Handlers really don't have to be all that talented. They're not like studious necromancers with bloodshot eyes who've sounded the depths of the nether and arisen with terrible secrets - they're just licensed wrights casting spells others have written and plugging in variables and accessing functions.

Programming is a clear inspiration.

One of my favourite little details about the khert that I remember is that people can be born with khert glitches too, and one of these glitches is to end up with an invisible limb or two. Or just an invisible chunk of your body.

Hallgerd
Dec 10, 2011
I don't think it was particularly intended or anything, people just started asking details about the setting and the author answered them. There's some stuff she won't answer, and I think anything significant would come out in the narrative anyway. So I can completely understand leaving it alone, I do agree that it spoils some of the mystery and can mess with how the narrative is delivered.

Hallgerd
Dec 10, 2011
I don't really want to bum anyone out because I feel pretty much the same about this character and I don't want to just be around posting Formspring answers (partially because I agree about its impact on the comic; partially because I haven't followed it in quite a while; partially because that's lame) but I did recall an answer about this guy. How true it's gonna be is maybe iffy because a lot probably changes in the transition from Ashley's head into the comic. I do remember that the attempted precursor to Unsounded, called I think 'Tanners', focused on Murkoph.

And yeah I looked up that and found this which I guess isn't the best of signs.

I get the same author's favourite character impression about Murkoph but it bothers me less because I'm not a great fan of Sette or Duane either, honestly. The draw of Unsounded for me tends to be the more ancillary cast, the great art and the crazy detailed fantasy world.

Hallgerd fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 6, 2013

Hallgerd
Dec 10, 2011

Takezio posted:

I know it's a little thing, but I like how there was a callback to when Duane actually introduced himself:

I figure that's probably not insignificant? Murkoph has just said the khert collects memories and Sette stepped in here through Duane's shadow. We also got a little spiel about the khert being for dead things. Maybe Murkoph's been watching them since that point, or Duane's some kind of prison for him, or something.

Could just be a more narrative link though.

Hallgerd
Dec 10, 2011
We know Bodie's in with this guy. Duane's also no fan of Black Tongues. I'm figuring the guy in the flashback has something to do with Duane's eventual fate due to the Bodie connection and, you know, the fact he basically gave over Duane to the Frummagems.

Quigley came out with the Black Tongue comment after noticing Duane 'stank of undeath' and Quigley's rumoured to have at least associated with them.

I kinda wonder if the red vial he's holding in the last flashback might be something similar to the one Sette's controlling dead-Duane with too.

Hallgerd fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hallgerd
Dec 10, 2011
It's a little weird the ninja guy seems to be wearing a Peaceguard uniform but I suppose it's possible they could be wearing uniforms taken from the dead, we did see one of those being used as target practice earlier.

In the last (horrible) page we can see the ninja guy is taking orders too, so I'm guessing whoever is in charge of this mission is probably the shadowy figure at the back with their hair blowing around.

More evidence against them being Crescians might be there, too - why would Crescian mercenaries care about a Ssaelit cleric?

I gotta second the people saying this hit pretty hard. I thought Mikaila was pretty certain to die from the off but Cope managed to ramp it enough for it to still be pretty affecting. Even imagining Duane probably died a horrible death, I didn't imagine the circumstances would be this bad.

Cowcaster posted:

Actually if anything I'm going to point fingers at Shadwe, who Lemuel underestimated when he said he was too weak for backdoor plotting.

The Shadwe's right hand guy certainly seemed to enjoy Duane getting his beating back when. And like someone corrected me upthread, he's got a contact with the Black Tongues.

Hallgerd fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 19, 2013