Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

At least someone's enjoying himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

So, the blue-haired twins seem to be the oldest we've seen in this rush? I wonder if their scheduled year is coming around soon, especially with the hair that matches the flowers.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

As much as he hates Crescans, he cares about children enough that this situation gets even worse. Because half the children in this room are going to be poisoned and then eaten at some point, and the fact that it's a painless death compared to how it used to be done and they could technically back out at the price of being a pariah forever and ruining their family isn't going to make that better for him. This entire scenario is basically custom-made to trigger him, from the fact that it's a temple where sacrifices are raised to the fact that all the kids here are girls to the dead waterbaby to the perpetually dark sky.

Also, the implication from that scene with Minnow is that Sette might be some sort of senet creature, right?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

GreyjoyBastard posted:

blond guard is alive

siya and sister own

it's going to be a great scene when siya gets killed and eaten, presumably by Queen Sonorie at the big Morstorben shindig

also I kind of like Lori, too bad she's probably definitely involved in crimes against humanity relatively benign senet beasts
Although she definitely also has regrets for such, given the doll and candle next to the dead waterbaby. Of course, having regrets doesn't make her less guilty, especially since there is almost certainly active experimentation going on on waterwomen in the temple right now, but it seems likely to me she's being pressured into this by Queen Sonorie and recognizes that the waterwomen are people, even if that's not enough to get her to stop what's happening.

It's pretty striking how dark Sonorie's plots are, even though she was terrified of being crowned because it'd involve ordering people to their deaths. I know that was a dream, but I'm also taking it as a true insight to how Sonorie felt when she was younger, and the deep guilt she feels now. But guilt buys nothing, and desperation breeds monstrosity, and seriously, everything we've seen her involved with is extremely hosed up, with the carving up of Roger's mind being the least horrific example because he's (almost certainly) a willing participant. It makes me wonder what she thinks the Alds have planned, if she's willing to go this far to strike against them.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Jivi's awfully judgemental for the son of a pirate.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Yeah, I figured. And, I mean, I find Sette to be charming and I know a lot about her internal struggles, but Jivi's seen less and is also in a position to care less because he actually has to deal with the consequences of her actions. Making fun of her being illiterate is beyond the pale, but as emotionally mature as he can be, he's also still a kid and Sette also stomps right on a lot of his biases. It's easier to just write her off as a Shart than it is to fully get into why she's not emotionally prepared to stop looking for the approval of a parent who isn't doing what's best for her, etc.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I don't think he'd give a a poo poo about her criminal record if she wasn't also guilty of the far greater crime of being the most obnoxious person alive
I mean, yeah, that's my point. It's not that she's a criminal but that she's obnoxious, willfully uneducated, arrogant, and mean to Matty. My point is that I don't think he gives her slack for the behavioral stuff due to the bad past stuff because he's also got bad past stuff. Someone older might be able to go 'oh her coping mechanisms are just really different from his' but Jivi's a kid too.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

GreyjoyBastard posted:

he did rescue the plats from Starfish though, that buys him some goodwill from me
Yeah the thing is I think Jivi is generally a good person, but that doesn't really make him a good Crescian ideal.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Tollymain posted:

unsounded's metaphysics are actually pretty hosed honestly, between pymary slowly but surely annihilating matter from the world, davy jones locker being more than a metaphor, and an entire intelligent species that gets neither the benefits of being a senet beast nor being human (thus being wide open to being genocided w nerve gas by one of the "better" governments in the setting)
Yeah I mean there's a reason one of the two major religions just goes 'all of this is super hosed and not okay, this is the God's crime, and we have a duty to fix it'. Like, in the context of the setting that's pretty reasonable. Too bad the government is still evil, though!

The thing that keeps striking me about the twin sacrifices is that the modern version is a lot more sanitized than what we've seen was a historical version, with one twin's throat getting cut over a bowl while the other watched. But that also doesn't change what's actually happening. Drinking a painless, quick-acting poison after getting treated with utmost respect is a much better way to die, but the death itself is the thing that makes it hosed up. And it's not really a willing sacrifice, because even though you can technically back out (or not give your children up in the first place) we see the result of that with how Iori is talked about, and it's hard to be fully consenting of something when you've been raised in an isolated compound your entire life for the express purpose of doing the thing. Like, there has to be extreme social pressure in place if there's not legal pressure, because otherwise too many people would back out.

And none of that is to say the Gefendur religion is evil, because it's not, I just kind of want to use the thread as a sounding board for the stuff that's hosed up specifically around the twin sacrifice. I honestly think the cannibalism is the least problematic thing about it.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I feel like Ana maybe broke her back or her pelvis with the way her legs are angled. Either that or she's so catatonic she doesn't care about laying in a contorted position, but I feel like Knock would care even if Ana didn't.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

A-at least Knock is holding up?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I don't think Knock's going to be killed. I think worse things are in store for Knock.

Ana, now...

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Tenebrais posted:

Duane is a patriot for Alderode. He might not be a cruel person himself, but he certainly idolises a cruel regime.

He is an honestly good guy, from what we've seen, but he's like the kindly, friendly grandparent, who is patient with everyone and has never hurt a fly that nonetheless thinks the Trump camps don't go far enough to keep out brown people.
Eh, loving with kids is something he'll cross cultural lines over, but otherwise I think you're right.

He's the kindly, friendly grandparent who sees no problem with separating teenagers from their parents but has concerns over the infants and toddlers.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Uaid is not only a giant toddler, he's also the one thing left Matty has of his dead mother.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

So the guard just totally wants the First Gold for himself, right?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I mean I never thought he had good intentions, I was just wondering if people thought that First Gold would ever actually end up turned in to his bosses or not.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Fair enough. It's also pretty chilling how the robbery has two layers to it, one being that the two-toe can't stop this dude from just confiscating whatever he likes, the other being that the rattle could provide a meager measure of protection and security because it's First Gold and that the two-toes aren't going to be allowed even that. The fact that it's just a toy being used to entertain a baby is irrelevant to the guard. And the fact that it's made of something valuable isn't the point.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I'm pretty sure Bastion is in his mid to older teens in the flashback but all I can see is a kid. It makes me sad.

This comic is very good at making me sad but keeping me coming back for more.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I feel really bad for Bastion as a kid and I can see how he got from that point to his level of terrible in the comic. It's all about how pain poisons and warps if it isn't addressed and treated, it's just a little more literal for some characters like Prakhuta. Bastion feels so guilty over being 'complicit' in what happened to Prakhuta and the other lizards that he spends 20 years trying to make up for it, but all he's actually doing is enabling Prakhuta, and there's nothing he can do to make up for what Delicieu did, and it's not even his thing to make up for, because he was as victimized as the lizards, the difference is as a human he can blend in to society afterwards if he wants to.

IDK, there's something really sad about being so desperate to make up for something that wasn't your fault and was actually you getting horribly abused that you do a bunch of stuff that actually, like, is your fault and ruin other people's lives. The most I can say is that Bastion is realizing just how much he hosed up and trying to work out how to fix it, but there's some stuff you can't fix and there's a lot of stuff I don't think he sees as problems to fix.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 24, 2018

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Yeah I love Bastion's character but he's not a good person just because he can be sad afterwards.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Glagha posted:

I do think there's a ton of plots to juggle at once and it's trying to do too many things in too many pages. Like if it did some more broad strokes detailing on some of the outer plot threads it might be good. The Ruck stuff I think has been more impenetrable honestly I have no idea what the gently caress that creepy snake pervert is even doing other than somehow involved in the political cesspit that's going on. I dunno I'm still fine with it I guess but I'm getting lost for sure.
Ruck's just making friends and helping those friends and having the time of his life!

(Ruck is so creepy.)

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

the ones that really take off have a strong wish-fulfillment component to them, the audience has want to slot themselves neatly into the world of the story, and Unsounded is mainly about awful people doing awful things to each other

that can make for a good read but it's not really the kind of thing people fantasize about, y'know?
This is part why it's funny to me that fantrolls took off so much considering Alternia is entirely based on awful people doing awful things to each other. But while Homestuck is entirely upfront about that it's also comedic, and Unsounded is... not, particularly.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

yeah exactly

hell Homestuck and plenty of other popular media blow up the Earth and kill everybody the characters have ever known but because it's presented as dramatic and cool instead of fuckin wretched that becomes an escapist fantasy people swoon over, they wanna be the last survivor overcoming the evil monsters what blowed up their tragic backstory. Unsounded is wretched about it, when people die it's traumatic not a literary flourish to make the important peoples' own plotlines all the more noble.
Eh, I could argue that Homestuck can actually get more brutal with that then what you're saying, but it's absolutely portrayed as cool and noble on the surface and Unsounded doesn't even do that, it just goes 'they're loving dead now and this fucks up a lot of people on a personal and societal level and you can never take it back, now let's watch Queen Sonorie dream about her sister choking on her own blood'.

Like don't get me wrong I'm absolutely a fan of Unsounded but it is really not escapist and a lot of times fantasy is an explicitly escapist genre. It's not as bad as Game of Thrones, but it's a really depressing story and even a bittersweet ending is going to have to be worked really hard for. Even with the 'sorting hat' esque possibility of people making fan characters or self-inserts, at least with the Hogwarts houses or even Homestuck castes there's like, cool things that go along with it, like 'my character can talk to dead people' or 'this means i'm really brave :)', which is definitely not how Unsounded presents things.

...does have a similar thing of the shortest-lived caste being really strong, but since not everyone is a young teenager even the tragedy of an absurdly short lifespan is much more in your face.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Yeah, I loved the way Sette and Duane balanced each other out. Sette on her own or Duane on his own right up front might have been unappealing to me (even tho I definitely love them both now), but it's hilarious the way their personalities bounce off each other.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Roland Jones posted:

He still comes across as a bigot, just in a casually condescending and not-deliberately-malicious way. See: "Harmless lizard paganry" versus how his expression gets a hundred times darker whenever he looks at Siya. (Though that might be a mix of feelings besides racism and religious hatred, since she's a kept twin and he still has a lot going on regarding the death of his own daughter.)

It's good characterization, mind, and the interest in the Two-Toes and such is both kind of cute and definitely better than how most people treat them, just, yeah.
Yeah, with Siya, I think there's a LOT of complicated feelings there with Duane's protectiveness of children, loss of his daughter, etc combined with Siya's position as a kept twin being emblematic of everything he hates about the Geffendur. I think his natural instinct is to protect her regardless of if he likes her or not, because she's a kid, but he knows he can't protect her because the thing she's in danger from is her entire religion and society and the 'consent' those things have already extracted from her. So his solution is to just try to ignore her, which isn't working.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Also wanna point out while Duane is bigoted against Cresceans, that's tied to the war between Alderode and Cresce, not specifically the Gefendur thing. Alderode is a Gefendur country, too, Ssaelit like Duane only make up about half the population there, and even in Alderode where Ssaelism is tolerated Ssaelits have to worry about their twin children being stolen by criminals and sold to temples to be raised as sacrifices. I think Alderode is the only country where Ssaelits actually have full legal rights, too? I'm just pointing it out bc when our main touchstone for Aldish culture is Duane it can be easy to forget that Alderode is not actually like, just a Ssaelit place and that the human sacrifice is just as much of a thing there.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Glagha posted:

I mean he's pretty anti-gefendur, he likes to remind them their gods are dead.
Oh he's definitely anti-gefendur. My point was that there's two different bigotries going on when he's dealing with Crescean gefendur, but that despite that I don't think he's actually upset with Siya, just upset for Siya.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Rime posted:

Calling it now: Murkoph is Ssael, or whatever was left of him after some great undoing.
That's my current theory!

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

His deal is that he's an rp character.

Which isn't a ding on him exactly but it means when Cope was first developing him it was with other people who like, knew and liked his character and were into it from the start, meanwhile in a comic you have to sell characters more in their introduction, and his introduction was not very endearing. I'm sure there's a lot more to him and I'll probably find it interesting if just for the lore implications but he doesn't really do anything for me.

And like, I've seen people see the same thing about Sette's introduction, but at least Sette has the excuse of being a kid, and an extremely poorly socialized one at that. I guess Murkoph has the excuse of having been stewing in the Khert for however long, but... idk. On the other hand, I don't think he's really supposed to be likable right now at all.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

GunnerJ posted:

The problem isn't that he's not likeable, it's that the way he's not likeable isn't even interesting.
I mean it could be interesting but that involves more that what we've seen of him. Like... I'm sure he's very interesting to Cope but part of that (aside from being biased to like your own characters because you create characters that you're interested in) is that she knows what his deal is and his motivations and etc etc, and we just don't, and the main reason we have to care is that his existence in the Khert is like, really really weird. Which is also ground that's covered with Sette, and covered better bc she's a much more developed character.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Glagha posted:

Yeah that's probably the best choice if you got to pick. Still living under the shadow of Cresce but you could do worse. Gefendur isn't so bad most of the time except for the occasional child sacrifice.
Well, to be fair, it's a sacrifice of a 20-something raised from childhood to 'consent' to being killed.
'Fair'.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

So the talk about the khert and dependence on it makes me wonder what happens to two-toes in areas where the khert is damaged. They don't have that 'soul' keeping them glued together, but they also don't have than inherent dependence on the khert. I imagine they could do quite well at sea.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

No, they do have a soul, it's just different from a human soul. The khert still holds their material aspects and wrights can cast spells on them, they're regular matter as far as the khert's concerned. They don't have the ability to get rited and command it the way humans do, and the way their soul is structured means their memories don't go into the khert forever, but they're not immune to its effects the way senet beasts and first materials are.

As far as the khert's concerned humans are in a special class.
Oh, that makes way more sense. Still, seems like having your memories go into the khert forever is not all that great, since that's a very different thing than your mind enduring.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I wouldn't necessarily want to be friends with Claggart but you could do far worse than him for a commanding officer, it seems.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I just remembered that that dude is technically nude in basically every non-flashback scene he's in and had a laugh.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Cope would definitely be willing to kill them all off but doing it offscreen doesn't feel narratively right. Poor rebel Plats, though.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Yeah the dammakhert is hosed up but if Alderode falls to Cresce, the Ssaelit are going to be genocided. Telling everyone else their gods are dead is kind of obnoxious, but Ssaelit twins are apparently at pretty high risk of being kidnapped and sold so one of them can be eaten, so, you know.

Mind, I'm not saying that Alderode is a shining beacon of religious tolerance, my impression has been that the considerable Ssaelit population are still second-class and prone to being passed over when it comes to the Gefendur religious majority. But as much as I'm pumped to see the creepy indoctrination biological-hardcoded-caste altered khert go down, we haven't yet seen a faction in Unsounded willing and able to treat their enemies with the basic courtesy of 'not doing war crimes'. Maybe, like, the two-toes? Maybe we should all just get on team Salt Lizard and watch the human world burn.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I mean I guess there's a lot more countries than just Cresce and Alderode and Sharteshane in this setting so maybe some of THOSE governments are okay or at least just mildly distasteful and they manage to not actually be currently doing war crimes.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Bad Seafood posted:

It's go time.
I think I've brought this up before (here, or elsewhere), but the only real shot the Ssaelit people have at survival is maintaining the status quo. Cresce would butcher them without hesitation, but Alderode really only tolerates their presence insofar as they bolster the national defense against a common enemy. Whoever finally wins this stupid forever war, the Ssaelit are next on the chopping block. For all Duane's vocal distaste of it, the continued existence of Cresce is the only thing that guarantees the protection of his faith.
Yeah turns out when your religion is vocally saying the gods of the only other major human religion are dead and also evil, people don't like it.

This isn't me saying the Ssaelit should be genocided or anything, obviously, just that Ssaelism is very specifically an offshoot of/reaction to Gefendur in such a specific way that it's bound to piss Gefendur off. Just look at Duane! I mean, he's an extreme example of piousness who also happens to be a passive-aggressive little poo poo that absolutely delights in pissing people off, so maybe not the best example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

A.o.D. posted:

Maybe Queen Sonorie would like for that to happen, but I rather doubt that the people who actually implement the plan are so high minded.

I mean it's like with the two-toes. Sonorie wants to give them firm legal rights and citizenship, but has had to do so slowly because she doesn't actually have absolute power, and all that just majorly backslid with her sister's assassination.

Does Sonorie want a soft cultural genocide of Ssaelit where they're converted and not slaughtered in the streets? Probably, that fits what we know of her ideals. Would that happen? Almost certainly not.