Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.

Ketzal posted:

You can see the same bird in the windows of the Black Tongue hideout scenes. So, I guess it's some sort of god? Either way I love that thing.

She's apparently shipping out the $25 Kickstarter orders next week. I can't wait to see how the crazy layouts translate to book form. :allears:

It's the Ilangyang, which is a harpy-esque creature who steals children and tries to nurse them, but her milk is poisonous and the children always die. It's a senet beast deal. The Black Tongues are named after her.

. . . I am personally responsible for about 30% of the anon questions on her formspring and I've read the entire thing. I'm a huge fan of this comic so if it's anything she's talked about on formspring, I'll probably be able to answer the question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

Author says it's Setty.

http://www.formspring.me/GlassShard/q/1672949229

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

There's already a raping, murdering pedophile in the comic. He's called Starfish, maybe you missed him.

This seems like jumping the gun on Murkoph by quite a bit. I sincerely doubt Glass would consider him a protagonist in any sense of the word - he's a foil for Duane, since they're similarly situated. But assuming that she wants the reader to root for him is a huge jump.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

Madrox posted:

So is this a character from another of her comics? I've only read Unsounded...

The whole Unsounded comic is very roughly based on a freeform roleplaying game she ran for several years. Duane and Sette were side characters in it, Bastion was a main character, and I believe Murkoph was recurring.

In the RP Duane was a ghost who ended up being devoured by the lich-king that lived underneath Hanghorse in Sharteshane so I think people who are already making decisions that Murkoph is a bad addition to the cast are jumping the gun a tiiiiiny little bit. Those linked comics were based on the RP, which also had a lot of Planescape rules in effect and included travel to modern Earth. The comic is VERY loosely based on it.

Also, as a creative person myself, I can definitively say that favorite character =|= protagonist. Villains are by nature more fun to write than someone you expect the reader to sympathize with. They have fewer boundaries on their behaviors, they're more pro-active, they're just generally good times to work with. I doubt Murkoph being Glass's favorite character indicates she's expecting her readers to consider him a protagonist.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

Canon is that with an Aldish accent it's pronounced Doo-ann, but everybody else's accent renders it Dwayne.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

Fabricated posted:

The reason why both countries agreed to not use them anymore in warfare despite how much they hate eachother is because they got most of them from raising their own and the enemy's dead.

You can also contract out to have your body raised after you die, with your beneficiaries getting the money for it.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

Roland Jones posted:

Wait that's who they are? All I remember was them ending up with some people and some ghosts who were unhappy with how lovely things are and then this guy barged out of the basement pissed about something. Definitely don't remember seeing them sacrificing children.

Since screwing up magic can REALLY gently caress up your day (which you can see when Mikaila blows a spell and the khert tries to eat her), every country has a strict set of legal spells. Duane getting an offer to become a composer is that he's getting an offer to write and test new spells to be added to the set of legal spells.

Black tongues disapprove of this and want to have the power to make spells be decentralized. Because their risky, untried spells have the potential for extreme harm, the organization is illegal and widely despised. However, they've managed to invent useful spells, which have been sneakily adopted by various governments (without acknowledging their origins.)

It's the difference between being a dev at Microsoft on project, or being a hacker in your garage, except with much bigger stakes potentially at play.

Slight spoiler for Blacktongue initiation and naming conventions: To prove your devotion to the organization (and weed out infiltrators) you are required to castrate yourself before you can join. Lady Ilganyag, who they're named after, is likewise sterile, which is why she steals children.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

Deki posted:

Where are you getting this from?

Glass really enjoys explaining her worldbuilding on the old Formspring/new Ask.fm. I really enjoy worldbuilding and asking questions about other people's worlds, so I'm responsible for about 20% of the anon questions on the Formspring, and I'm working my way back up to that number on the new ask.fm.

She doesn't spoil plot points, only explains more in-depth how the world works, especially for things that might not show up as part of the main plot. She also talks about her creative process and how the world was developed.

The wiki is actually pretty useless, there is just not a lot of stuff in it and I don't think anybody really updates it.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

My speculation - and this is actual speculation, she's never said about it on the Formspring - is that while the government may not have created it, governmental factions are certainly willing to drag their feet on seriously fixing it in order to gain some political advantages.

The guy who took Kara away after her family died of it is almost certainly Bastion Winalils, who's the same guy who gave Sette the amulet to control Duane, and who is a Blacktongue according to Kara (which seems likely to be true because the amulet he gave Sette certainly isn't government-approved magic.) So if the Blacktongues were in Falcyne, trying to fix the problem, they may also be responsible for it.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

Nanomashoes posted:

Yeah there's no way Duane's making it out of this alive.
We know he walks out of it dead though!

I don't know - he's in the papers, he instructs students, he preaches - he's clearly a pretty public figure at this point. If they try to arrest him for assaulting the councilor, he gets to turn around and say "I did it because the councilor was promoting BIOLOGICAL WARFARE."

I can't imagine they just straight up murder him right now and then try to claim it was some kind of a legitimate execution, that just seems super suspicious. And if the councilor to some extent listens to the shadwe - which he clearly does since he's running this plan by the shadwe before just doing it - and the shadwe really likes Duane, well, there's at least a chance he exits this scene alive.

Edit: yeah, his promotion's fuuuuuucked

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

Hallgerd posted:

We know Bodie's in with this guy. Duane's also no fan of Black Tongues. I'm figuring the guy in the flashback has something to do with Duane's eventual fate due to the Bodie connection and, you know, the fact he basically gave over Duane to the Frummagems.

Quigley came out with the Black Tongue comment after noticing Duane 'stank of undeath' and Quigley's rumoured to have at least associated with them.

I kinda wonder if the red vial he's holding in the last flashback might be something similar to the one Sette's controlling dead-Duane with too.

Correction: the shadwe's in with that guy, not Bodie. Bodie is the black-haired rear end in a top hat councilor; the shadwe is the old dude. That guy is Bastion Winalils, and since Bastion gave Sette that amulet to control Duane during the night, it's a pretty done deal that he's at least up on what Duane is at minimum, or was directly responsible for it at maximum.

Since Duane admires the shadwe so much, and clearly the shadwe likes him a great deal, it'll be interesting to see how this turns out. Bodie is insecure enough in his own power to run this plan by the shadwe before just running off and doing it, which means either the shadwe is extremely powerful or Bodie isn't. I can see him having a great deal of influence on the whole face-punching situation.

The smoke eels are extrusions from the khert caused by negative emotions. They show up when there's a lot of death and pain.. If you gently caress up a spell as badly as Mikaila did, they are one of the numerous ways the khert will try to destroy you, in order to "correct" local reality. Sometimes you'll just start dissolving, sometimes you get attacked by whatever thing the khert pulls out of its butt, etc etc.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

I'm getting vibes Lemuel's reluctance to marry is less about his career and more about his not liking girls.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

Lemuel definitely has SOMETHING shady going on. He's crying on the second page, that's a little much even for this situation.

Duane is definitely cruisin' for a bruisin', I'm pretty sure he's about to get fired.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

We don't know what he was signing though, or if he's still even got a job. He may be unemployed and facing destitution.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

I'm not sure that's a flashback to Lem dying. It's Duane's hand - he's wearing the thorn glove - in a pool of blood, with Lem's eyes (probably) reflected in the blade. I'm pretty sure it's Lem's sword, since it has that squared-off tip you can see in the previous page, and it's got blood on it, implying he was stabbing somebody else.

http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch01/ch01_17.html

I have this suspicion between that page, Lem's comment of "I will solve it," and his crying, Lem may have had something to do with Duane's undeath.

Minor background info about how Duane's undeath-ness works: Glass has said that you could not pull yourself together post-death the way Duane did without being a tacit caster, that he wasn't able to talk for a while and when he first "woke up" the only sense he had was his ears (he has those fake glass eyes.) Basically whatever happened to Duane, if done to say, Quigley, would have failed. That indicates to me that Duane got set up in a serious way.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

Yeah, there's 8 guys, and he's already knocked one out and killed two of them (and maybe knocked out a second one, in the panel where he's shooting the solidity of the bricks.) Duane's personality is dorky but he's a stone cold bastard in a fight.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

The author knows medieval weaponry and the power of a regular crossbow. They're deliberately weak (Formspring info.) Capture is the most likely answer, but I don't see Bodie as being the type to capture versus straight-up having the dude killed.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

I think it's the dude from the last panel here:

http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch07/ch07_97.html

Picked himself up and came back. The clothes are very similar, and there's no doubt Mikaila's about to blow something up. I think she's reaching for the fire in the lamp inside that window.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

Did anybody else catch all the creepy dead things hiding in pages 104 and 105?

Also oh god, we all knew it was coming, but jesus.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

While it's pretty obvious there's a deeper scheme going on here with the ritualistic way they're taking care of Duane, I'm not convinced that it has anything to do with the councilor he bopped. The punishment for that transgression involved getting the tar kicked out of him without even his own daughter batting an eye, and he lives in a society where enemies of the state are put on kebabs and barbecued at the center of the city in broad daylight. Hiring a bunch of magiced-up thugs to kill Duane seems plausible, but just plain unnecessary. And Lemuel did mention Cresce was trying to smuggle mercenaries into the city.

Actually if anything I'm going to point fingers at Shadwe, who Lemuel underestimated when he said he was too weak for backdoor plotting.

edit: what the guy above me said. That'll learn me to leave thread open since this morning and not reply until lunch.

Except they're very clearly not trying to kill Duane, they're trying to capture him. Weak crossbows, poison, clubs, aiming for nonfatal blows.

Duane's eyes are a glass pymaric - all parts of him are completely subject to rot, which is why he's held together by braces and straps. He's also got a sewed leather tongue, which you can see the seams of if you look close when he's having problems with Kara.

Also, about the attackers being Crescian: it's well-established there are people who look Crescian but actually aren't. Turas, for instance. (http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch06/ch06_78.html). Given that we know Crescians don't use or like money, it seems really unlikely you'd be able to hire them as random thugs, versus hiring people from, say, Sharteshane or somewhere who just have Crescian ancestry way back when. It is also possible if a Silver caste (the dark skinned people with grey/silver hair) or a Copper (the guard who beat down Duane's a copper http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch07/ch07_94.html) shaved their head and glamored their eyes, it'd be pretty difficult to tell them from a Crescian in the dark. Plus, their reluctance to knife a cleric - well, he's Ssaelit, which most Crescians consider a heresy anyway - why would you be worried about cutting up a heretic? And Alderode is the only country where Ssaelit can even legally exist.

Lem, the Shadwe and Winalils all may have a hand in this. Bodie I'm on the fence about - if he's involved, I think it's somebody using the recent situation to accomplish what they were trying to do anyway and pulling Bodie in at the last minute. Of that group, the one most likely to have non-Aldish contacts (though not Crescian, because I don't think any of these guys actually are) is Winalils, who has been shown to travel outside Alderode (which I'm betting the Shadwe never has, and if Lem has it's only to go to war.) Bodie might have the ninja, though, as he hates wrights and that guy clearly trained to be an effective hand-to-hand against them.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

Seoinin posted:

It occurred to me that turning a devout member of a religion that abhors the undead into a wight is a serious gently caress You, Buddy move.

It's even worse, because the Ssaelit believe that you're autodamned if you're undead, even if you didn't choose to be raised. If you get killed in a war and the enemy comes along and ups your corpse back to dig some ditches? Too bad for you, straight to hell, out of the reincarnation cycle. That's part of the reason they're so uptight about ANY undead, even for Gefendurs.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

This is absolutely somebody riling up the Ssaelit against the Gefendur by implying the Aldish Gefendur are allying with the Crescian Gefendur for the purposes of killing Ssaelit. Using people who look Crescian (but probably aren't) is probably just a failsafe in case they're caught in the act.

Somebody is trying to provoke Aldish civil unrest/a possible Aldish civil war. Who and for what purpose is still unclear.

And now I'm even more curious as to how Duane ended up what he is, because I had been assuming he'd've been dragged off at the end of this to be experimented on instead of left as a corpse in the snow.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

Wheats posted:

It seems most likely to me that Cresce had nothing to do with this, and someone in Alderode is attempting to incite support for a war with Cresce by committing a murder that will shock people enough to bring together Aldish Ssaelit and Gefendurs against Crescians. Like Gabriel Pope said, it's a tone-deaf message, but maybe it's supposed to be.

Given the evident fractionalism in Alderode, I think that's pretty unlikely. It's way more likely strategic interior forces want to provoke unrest to seize power in some manner. I'd put money on Duane's assassination resulting in Gold/Ssaelit riots, which then give Gefender/other castes an excuse to crack down on them, further weakening their political position.

We can already see that the Gefendur are making moves to disturb the balance of shared power, that's the whole reason Bodie had his Bright Idea and Duane cracked him one, and we have ample evidence of caste-based racism in general.

The Gefendur are suspects, but there's also two prominent rebel groups in Alderode; there are the March, who want a more equitable society and whose members were getting merrily roasted on Duane's commute, and the Mmamont, who are a radical group of Golds who want a return to the pre-caste environment. Whether or not the Black Tongues have any stake in Aldish politics still remains to be seen.

This reeks of something internal.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

Okay, I counted, and I'm going to point out that you are having basically hysterical reactions about a character that has appeared in a grand total of 10 pages (11 if you count a page where he's in the background without saying anything.)

Unsounded is 482 pages long as of today. If you guys hate him so bad that you can't stand 10 pages of him, maybe you should just drop the comic.

At no point has anyone, anywhere said you are supposed to like or sympathize with Murkoph, he's a bad guy. It's OBVIOUS he's a bad guy. Nobody emerges from a cloud of unhappy ghosts and is supposed to be the cool dude you enjoy.

The fact that Glass enjoys writing him has less to do with anything other than the fact that villains are REALLY fun to write. They are more proactive and have fewer restraints on their behavior; they can say and do things that heroes never can.

I seriously am starting to think the only reason people are reacting this way to Murkoph versus Starfish is that Murkoph isn't fat and gross-looking and Starfish is, because Starfish is canonically WAY worse than Murkoph at this point and nobody has lost their goddamn minds about the fact that he's in the story.

Also, a lot of the supplemental material is stuff that will eventually appear in the comic, but is not plot-critical. It just hasn't been explained yet because there hasn't been a narrative point in the story to do it (like the details of the Gefendur cannibalism.)

Also seriously, please, point me to the exact panel in those 10 pages where it's so evident that we're supposed to find Murkoph awesome.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

From the Formspring, author's mouth that you are not supposed to like this guy:

http://www.formspring.me/GlassShard/q/474976436193608704

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

Cat Mattress posted:

The lesson here is that internet comments are terrible; but anyway between the creepy fans going "sooo dreamy" over a stitched corpse that rapes people and the side material that engendered said creepy fans, there was reason to believe it's a character we're supposed to love. After all, those readers who had been exposed to him earlier do love him...

Counterpoint: I have read a twitter post wherein the user fantasizes about drawing crotch boobs on cartoon ponies and fetishizes forcing abortions on said crotch-boob ponies. Yet there's nothing within MLP itself that even contributes to its lovely, psycho fans. Fans are disgusting and weird, even when the creative work is about as innocuous as it could possibly be, and if people get off on goddamn cartoon ponies with zero sexual element, it's basically impossible to make any character with so much as an iota of sexuality and not have some weirdos on the internet drooling into their genitals about them, regardless of how hosed up that actually is.*

Also, I'd put $5 down that Murkoph does none of the things in Glass's random sketches in the comic itself. Hell, she has a sketch in her DA showing what happens when a chibi-Duane eats a cupcake and it pops back out through his empty ribs; I don't expect to see that show up in the comic at any point, either. She has also drawn Murkoph as a jawbreaker - like, the candy. The very original, totally discarded character of Sette was made when Glass was 15 and was an angsty half-angel with wings and no tail (she actually put that in the back of the Kickstarter book, I thought it was hilarious.)

As somebody who is a pretty big fan of Unsounded and who does follow basically every external source that isn't closed off (like the old RP boards), I can tell you that there's a shitton of non-cannon info floating around, and if you're on the fence about Murkoph as a character, ignore all side info (because most of it won't be canon) and just read the comic itself. The reaction I've seen in this thread is totally unwarranted and kind of baffling, especially since the people most up in arms are clearly not up on the Formspring and the like.

*Some of Unsounded's hosed-up fan brigade think STARFISH is sexy, I have no words. They wanted a pinup of Starfish as a vote incentive. And yet, nobody thinks we're supposed to be rooting for Starfish!

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

Word of god on zombies is they have limited sensation and a limited ability to feel pain. Duane can really only feel heat and pressure anymore, and he only hurts if his bones break. He doesn't like the sun, but he can handle it. So the stomp probably didn't bother Murkoph any since Murkoph is also dead.

Sette's really interesting, but we don't have enough knowledge to even guess correctly yet. External sources, but my speculation follows: There were once lions in Kasslyne, but they were wiped out by the Ssaelit. This is because Ssael, their mortal-ascended-to-godhood, was betrayed by his grandson to the Gefendurs, who fed him to lions. The Ssaelit eventually ended up taking the lion as one of their symbols, because it was post-death that Ssael really got going. Anyway, Sette's naturally sharp teeth, lion tail and big hair (actual author word is all Kasslynian lions had manes, not just the male ones) all point to some definite link with her and the lost lions. Her ability to interact barehanded with the khert (and fall into it) also point to a connection to pymary that nobody's figured out/noticed yet. Frummagen may know SOMETHING about her, since he clearly got ahold of her at some point and wasn't inclined to let her go, going so far as to adopt her.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

I don't care, I'm jumping at the notion that we might find something out about Duane's origin with Sette following that string.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

Tollymain posted:

I guess that Uaid is even more of an experimental superweapon thing than we first figured.

The model in front of Matty in the first panel was supposed to be Uaid's finished form. Vienne got offed before she could finish building him - he's not complete.

Also, I wonder if Sette could manipulate things directly inside the khert itself because she was pulled in body and all, whereas everything else in the khert is, uh, khertish? All spectral and stuff. I wonder if she could still do it if only her personality was pulled in, though I'd imagine you have to be dead for that to happen.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

I doubt it helps that one of the tenets of Ssaelism is that only the Aldish can become Ssaelit (and all non-Ssaelit are heathen infidels who should probably just die so they can hustle along reincarnation towards being reborn as Aldish).

Cresce is a bunch of imperialistic, unempathetic dickwads, but even with that in mind Alderode still comes out looking like North Korea with wizards.

That's actually not one of the tenets of Ssaelism; the whole "only Aldish are Ssaelits" is because every other country face-murders them. So theoretically, when you have reincarnated enough that your soul is ready to adopt Ssaelism as the one true religion, you MUST be reincarnated into Alderode because that's the only place where you might live a full lifetime as a devout of Ssael.

If Ssaelism were legal everywhere you could reincarnate anywhere without it being a problem.

reignonyourparade posted:

SO on reread I've noticed that in Jivi's dream he's already got cutter's knife. So how common is Legitimate Prophecy in the world of Unsounded, do we know?

Are you talking about the thing around his neck? That's not a knife, it's a whistle, and Cutter stole it from Jivi, who took it back after Cutter died. So Jivi is just dreaming he still has it.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

Glass actually answered the Rahm question on Formspring, it's not plot relevant but I'll spoiler it anyway:

Q: Oh, I thought Rahm's legs were maybe spectral limbs that were discussed on Formspring forever ago.

A: They kind of are. The khert dispersed a lot of superficial Aspects like everything to do with visibility but his legs and trunk are still THERE, for the most part. You can't see them or feel them (neither can he) but you can't pass through them. Because my feeble brain is capable only of thinking of things in terms of video games, the legs' hitbox is there but not their graphic T_T
Comments

Q: Is there any way to survive pissing off the khert, or does it just delete you the instant you become an irritant?

A: The way to survive is to be awesome. Leave the field of the khert until it's calmed down. That means putting a few hundred feet between yourself and the ground. It's doable but you only got a few seconds to make it happen, and you may wind up losing your legs if you're not fast enough.
Comments

Basically, Rahm was badass enough to survive massively loving up a spell and attempted khert dissolution.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

I'd argue with him being Delicieu because he was shown to be the black-tongue doctor working with the plague victims in Falchyne - he was the one who rescued Cara, the little girl who got killed in chapter 2. It's a blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment.

http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch02/ch02_06.html

She's also referencing things he said when Duane finds her here:
http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch02/ch02_57.html

Which is where she remembers him saying that death was the gods' crime and that nobody should have to die, and that Cara had to live.

Just strikes me as the guy who's rescuing kids and trying to cure a magical super-plague is probably not the same dude who's doing horrible pain experiments. That said, I have no doubt Winalils's hands are dirty, just in other ways - he shows up in the background of Duane's life during the flashback and he clearly knows enough about what Duane is to know how to control him during the day. He's the one who tells Sette Duane isn't a man but a tool.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

VictorGrunn posted:

I got into Unsounded late, and I'm still trying to find this in the many, many pages of story I've missed, but...

What's up with Hamsteak? I was under the impression she was just a crooked cop on the take from a criminal. But fighting with Elka it sounds like she thinks SHE is on the 'good guy' team here? I get that the city is supposed to be closed entirely soon, and people may be up in arms about that.

I don't think she thinks she's the good guy, just that the people in her city are getting screwed over. Which they kind of are: the city is going to be disbanded, and all its inhabitants sent elsewhere. They don't get a say in this happening, the Crescian central government dictates it because Cresce has a managed economy.

The Peaceguard serves the Crescian central government directly, so Hamsteak is just working out all her frustrations about losing her home and her job on Elka. She IS corrupt and on the take - she may be interested in trying to leave Cresce rather than be reassigned, but she would need money to do so, and Crescians don't use "money" as the other countries understand it and the money Cresce issues is worthless anywhere else. Stockyard would probably be her only option for getting her hands on real money, so she may be on his payroll somewhat unwillingly and blame the Crescian government's city closure for her own actions.

http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/world/index.php/Cresce

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

Holy hell, today's page was excellent, I did not see that coming. Alive Duane's face on dead Duane was just such a punch in the gut after getting his full story.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

The halfway mark of the first "book" (distinct from the physical books she's releasing.)

There are three books.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

Thereabouts; she estimated there'd be 22 chapters in book one.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

Next kickstarter is up! Let's go spend some money.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/502093706/unsounded-comic-volume-2

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

No, she usually just crops and makes minor art alterations so the panels still make sense, but with the general loss of the page-breaking effect. The books don't have any borders, she puts the art out to the very edge of the page.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

In before the next 800 posts about how it's obvious Glass is just a pee fetishist furiously masturbating to pedo golden showers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

reignonyourparade posted:

I think it's not for a civil war it's for an assassination/coup, but yeah the characters who know SOMETHING about it seem to think it's internal Crescean politics.

It's implied that the guy who made the silver, a black tongue named Delicieu, offered it to the Crescian queen as a superweapon against Alderode, which she refused (because it is clearly some totally heinous poo poo.) That refusal, however, did not sit well with a bunch of the nobility in Cresce, who saw it as an opportunity to destroy Alderode once and for all. They instead got involved and are using it as part of an elaborate (but currently non-specific) plan to assassinate/depose the Queen.

The situation is clearly more complicated, though, because Duane is reacting to the silver somehow. Right now the evidence suggests that the black tongue named Bastion Winalils is the guy who is responsible for Duane's condition, and he was in cahoots with Sette's father to send Duane to Stockyard, who was already the guy in charge of smuggling the silver into Cresce (a job that he outsourced to Starfish, and Starfish in turn hired Quigley). Given how the silver's currently acting, it's likely that Duane's weird undead state is somehow linked to the silver. It seems pretty unlikely that Sette's dad just coincidentally got involved with two separate black tongues whose pet projects happen to react to each other.

The problem is, we haven't yet met any character who has the entire story, so this has to be extrapolated from various pieces of dialogue.

Quigley know who made the silver, but not who bought it or what exactly it's going to do: http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch08/ch08_27.html

After learning from Quigley that Delicieu made it, Rahm figures out that Delicieu and Winalils are working together. Because Winalils is Aldish, Rahm suspects he's moving the silver into Cresce to launch an attack: http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch08/ch08_49.html

He's right about the target but wrong about the motive.

The Sharteshanian gang, led by Nary and managed by Stockyard, don't know who made it (they were hired on by Winalils and do not appear to know about Delicieu) but do know who bought it, since that's who they're giving it to, and by Stockyard's reaction here it's clearly Crescians, and planning to be used on a Crescian target: http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch09/ch09_50.html

Who knows about the offer of the silver to the queen? Toma: http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch05/ch05_57.html

Since we also generally see some Crescians' deep discontent with their country (all of Mulimar), we can assume that goes higher, especially when the Peaceguard are called out of the city the night before the silver's supposed to come in. So whoever wants it in is high enough up the chain to have that kind of command, which means a very high-ranked Crescian is buying it.

That's assuming Toma is correct when he says the queen refused the sale. The double-agent peaceguard Elan thinks that the queen did buy the silver and is moving it in herself, but the odds are he's wrong because Stockyard is in a position to have more information about the silver's ultimate destination (and he's clearly stating there's a revolution in the works in Cresce.)

Because any of these characters may be mistaken (we had about 7 chapters of the two main characters whose ostensible goal was a total and absolute lie), that can all change if more information is revealed. Toma may be wrong, for instance; the queen may have only publicly refused the sale but accepted it via illicit channels, in which case Stockyard is probably wrong about the ultimate target.

The comic definitely focuses on its main characters and their limited knowledge - you basically need to reread the whole thing to catch the underlying realpolitik, by paying close attention to all the side characters.