Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
The Pentel orenz Nero comes in .3 and .2mm sizes and automatically advances the lead because the little pipette around the lead is always in contact with the paper. It's like a fountain pen that uses lead instead of ink and I like mine better than my rotring 600 .3mm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Arcsech posted:

• the $11.50 Pentel Graph Gear 1000 - I've had one of these in 0.5mm for years, and it's quite nice. The lead tube retracts into the body of the pencil, so you don't risk bending it or poking yourself if you put it in your pocket. If you're just curious about higher-end pencils, this is a great one to try out.
  • the $30 Rotring 600, which is made of brass and has a very nice weight. The lead tube doesn't retract (though the Rotring 800 that does have that features, it's more expensive), but it's very nice to use.

Also worth mentioning is the Uni Kuru Toga line, which automatically rotates the lead to keep the point sharp. Some people don't like that effect. Up to you.

Edit: Just saw your post, the Graph Gear comes in 0.9mm

Seconding the graphgear recommendation, it's a wonderfully solid-feeling pencil, and having the whole thing, including the lead pipe retract is a real nice touch (and it makes a nice click as it does so)
f.e. Graphgear 1000, not the regular graphgear/500. I'm sure they're fine, but the 1000's really nice.

However, I've never actually gotten a kuru toga to really rotate. I assume this is because I write in cursive (and with a light touch), and it seems to rely on the lead making repeated contact with the paper to rotate the little barrel inside. I'm sure it works fine if you're writing in various characters, or drawing, or using block letters, but in my hands, it's just a regular-rear end mechanical pencil. However, I've got one of the cheaper versions of it, and it's really astonishing how solid that plastic feels, compared to one of those regular bic or papermate pencils.

That said, the eraser's almost definitely going to be sorta bad, will definitely be tiny, and in most pencils is under a little cap, which makes actually using it a pain. Definitely grab an eraser if you're in the habit of erasing things instead of just crossing them out.

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

The Pentel orenz Nero comes in .3 and .2mm sizes and automatically advances the lead because the little pipette around the lead is always in contact with the paper. It's like a fountain pen that uses lead instead of ink and I like mine better than my rotring 600 .3mm

Do those work well? I've seen them when idly browsing jetpens and the idea seems neat, but the tiny lead feels like it would break constantly, or be too light to actually read, unless you used a real dark lead.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Arcsech posted:

• the $11.50 Pentel Graph Gear 1000 - I've had one of these in 0.5mm for years, and it's quite nice. The lead tube retracts into the body of the pencil, so you don't risk bending it or poking yourself if you put it in your pocket. If you're just curious about higher-end pencils, this is a great one to try out.
  • the $30 Rotring 600, which is made of brass and has a very nice weight. The lead tube doesn't retract (though the Rotring 800 that does have that features, it's more expensive), but it's very nice to use.

I'll happily third the GraphGear 1000. I've tried a lot of mechanical pencils, and for me it's just the right weight while feeling really solid. And the click of the retracting lead tube is really goddamn satisfying.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Zenostein posted:

Do those work well? I've seen them when idly browsing jetpens and the idea seems neat, but the tiny lead feels like it would break constantly, or be too light to actually read, unless you used a real dark lead.

The lead's super delicate and will break easily during loading, or if you drop the thing, but it's protecting while you write by a lead sleeve. You'd have to bend that to break the lead. I love the thing. .3 might be a better buy than .2 if you're worried about it writing too lightly, but I gotta have the finest point. I also love that I only ever have to click it once. My only complaint is it's not all metal like a rotring.

Here's a short video I found that shows it off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52zfGiyzYxs&t=51s

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

lots of 2mm lead holders out there, pretty much all have a nice heavy-dutyness about them. I have a staedler one with a little indicator you can move to keep track of what hardness of lead is in it

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Thanks, now I've got a nearly all-metal combination mechanical pencil/stylus in the mail

Don't know how often it'll be used for drafting but having more than one function and having the fiddly bit collapsible is everything I didn't realize was available in mechanical pencils and fully justifies the purchase in my eyes. Already have some proper erasers anyway for earlier and much cheaper mechanical pens lost to the ages.

And $40 shipped for the Rotring 800+ and some lead is less than I usually spend at once for pen stuff

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The pencil world is light-years away from the fountain pen world in terms of accessibility

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Please no one start talking about artisinal pencil leads

Or do, if there's some obscure super dark .43mm that's silky smooth, that'd be interesting

Ask me about refillable writing utensils: No Ballpoints

/e I'm sticking to 0.5mm because I like how it looks and hadn't noticed the advances in precision and protection which scare me as just another mechanism to fail

especially that rotating mechanism one even though I'll probably order one within the month since lol cursive is the thing it's bad at and why would anyone use a pencil for cursive except as practice anyway?

stringless fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jul 11, 2020

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

FFT posted:

Thanks, now I've got a nearly all-metal combination mechanical pencil/stylus in the mail

:same: but it's a Kuru Toga and a Pilot MR2 (the Euro Metro).

FFT posted:

Please no one start talking about artisinal pencil leads

Let me tell you about the Pentel C275-HBO AIN STEIN fine lead which has a ceramic beehive structure, making it one of the strongest in the world.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

gschmidl posted:

Let me tell you about the Pentel C275-HBO AIN STEIN fine lead which has a ceramic beehive structure, making it one of the strongest in the world.

Joke's on them, I no longer consider lead strength

Also carbon naturally has a beehive structure, how is it different for being ceramic anyway

/e 10% better at not breaking compared to similar? MEH fancy silicate additions for generic mechanical pencils

stringless fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jul 11, 2020

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Now I'm just imagining all of the unfortunate failures at Pilot of making a VP/capless that also functions as a stylus

Hire me, Pilot! I'll tell you how you should use the thruster as the stylus tip!

And I won't make jokes about it.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

FFT posted:

Joke's on them, I no longer consider lead strength

Also carbon naturally has a beehive structure, how is it different for being ceramic anyway

/e 10% better at not breaking compared to similar? MEH fancy silicate additions for generic mechanical pencils

Also it's called friggin' Einstein.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
I probably have over three dozen barely used tubes of leads from trying them out to find the combination of feel and darkness that I wanted.

My favorite nice mechanical pencil I have is my Modern Fuel in titanium with a .05mm mechanism; the mechanisms are made in house out of metal and are user replaceable.

That said I also like my Studio Ghibli collaborations with Uni Kuru Toga (Castle in the Sky) and Zebra Del guard (Totoro).

I don’t like Retro 51’s pencil. The 1.15mm lead size is odd and their lead is not that good.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

The Electronaut posted:

My favorite nice mechanical pencil I have is my Modern Fuel in titanium with a .05mm mechanism; the mechanisms are made in house out of metal and are user replaceable.

I don’t like Retro 51’s pencil. The 1.15mm lead size is odd and their lead is not that good.

0.05mm would be a hell of a pencil and now I'm just imagining an 11.5mm lead

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

FFT posted:

Eh, .5mm.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Threads thoughts on the new sailor compass 911's coming out? I like the colors, and for $39 they look solid. I finally fixed my Pilot VP. I tried everything, and finally switching back to a cartridge made it a smooth writer again. I don't know why it's only the converter that makes the nib skip or not come out.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Did you have the little metal cap on while the converter was in it by chance?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Thread title + pencil talk =

БiГ̣O MR2 and a Kuru Toga. The lead was a pack-in, don't :guillotine: me just yet

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jul 13, 2020

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Ok, now you can bring it out, these are objectively better in every way than what came with the pencil.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Heath posted:

Did you have the little metal cap on while the converter was in it by chance?

What bit? the little metal thing that rattles inside the converter?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
No, there's a metal cap that is intended to go on over the cartridge. If you have a converter in you probably never used it. It keeps the button from squishing the cart.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Heath posted:

No, there's a metal cap that is intended to go on over the cartridge. If you have a converter in you probably never used it. It keeps the button from squishing the cart.

It doesn't fit over the CON-40, at least on the Capless LS.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

LionArcher posted:

Threads thoughts on the new sailor compass 911's coming out? I like the colors, and for $39 they look solid.

Sailor's steel nibs are really good and if they're anything like the Procolor line then they're going to be good pens. It's neat that they're packaging in a converter too, as that's usually not included.

Edit: Whoops, skimmed and misread some posts.

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 13, 2020

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Chip McFuck posted:

Sailor's steel nibs are really good and if they're anything like the Procolor line then they're going to be good pens. It's neat that they're packaging in a converter too, as that's usually not included.

Edit: Whoops, skimmed and misread some posts.

Good, because at $39 I can grab two, versus the sailor pro gear slim (I love the four seasons winter addition) colors I just love, but at $180-220... Yikes. My most expense pen is my Lamy 2000

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 13, 2020

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

LionArcher posted:

Threads thoughts on the new sailor compass 911's coming out? I like the colors, and for $39 they look solid. I finally fixed my Pilot VP. I tried everything, and finally switching back to a cartridge made it a smooth writer again. I don't know why it's only the converter that makes the nib skip or not come out.

it's because pilots converters are what we call in the industry jargon, "Toilet Garbage"

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

I too have an ink cartridge in my VP that just gets refilled w/ a syringe when needed.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Doctor Dogballs posted:

it's because pilots converters are what we call in the industry jargon, "Toilet Garbage"

Are the Sailor converters better? I'm starting to really like some of the special additions of the Sailor Pro gear slim.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

It's difficult to be worse than pilot converters so yes.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 14, 2020

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

LionArcher posted:

Are the Sailor converters better? I'm starting to really like some of the special additions of the Sailor Pro gear slim.

Sailor converters work just fine and are way better than a Con-40. They also come in a staggering amount of color options so you can match your converter color to the pen.

Pro Gear Slims are great pens and make for fantastic daily writers. I used a Slim in a lovely green/black colorway for a while before switching to a full-sized Pro Gear.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Wait, am I understanding correctly that Sailor converters fit into pilot pens? gently caress, knowing that earlier would have saved me a lot of trouble.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
wait what’s supposed to be wrong with the con-40? it works perfectly for me

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

wait what's supposed to be wrong with the con-40? it works perfectly for me

It works but they're completely impossible to get here. I have to order from Italy or Germany. Sailor MIGHT be easier to get.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Talking about converters or noodlers is the fountain pen equivalent of politics and religion. People have opinions.

FFT posted:

Wouldn't that just be like, a piece of chalk?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

It works but it's poo poo for capacity and fiddly and frankly once one is past two inks and two pens it's just more sensible to refill cartridges directly.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

gschmidl posted:

Wait, am I understanding correctly that Sailor converters fit into pilot pens? gently caress, knowing that earlier would have saved me a lot of trouble.

What? No, they don't.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Dad Hominem posted:

What? No, they don't.

Ok, "good".

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

FFT posted:

Pencil lead is rarely pure graphite (carbon).

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

There's nothing necessarily wrong with the Con-40, it's just over-engineered which has lead to a less than optimal experience for me. The mesh in the converter that keeps the agitators from falling out creates surface tension that the ink has to overcome before it can enter the converter or feed. For me, this lead to a lot of flow issues especially with pigmented ink. Granted, I haven't used one in a while so they might have addressed that issue, but it made for a lot of unnecessary frustration when I used one.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Chip McFuck posted:

There's nothing necessarily wrong with the Con-40, it's just over-engineered which has lead to a less than optimal experience for me. The mesh in the converter that keeps the agitators from falling out creates surface tension that the ink has to overcome before it can enter the converter or feed. For me, this lead to a lot of flow issues especially with pigmented ink. Granted, I haven't used one in a while so they might have addressed that issue, but it made for a lot of unnecessary frustration when I used one.

It's still like that. I just fill it with a syringe, but have not had feed issues, just with filling it completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Chip McFuck posted:

Pentel makes excellent mechanical pencils as well. Their Sharp and Graphgear 500 series got me through art school and their erasers are the same polymer that's used in high-quality artist erasers.

Comedy option is a Pentel Kerry:

It's a pencil styled to look like a fountain pen!

The Kerry is more than just comedy. It's a great pocket pencil that isn't conspicuous away from the drafting desk. When capped its short enough to fit nicely in a pocket, and when posted it is just right if you prefer shorter writing utensils with lower cg. It also has the same eraser as the Graphgears.

I'd also recommend the original Pentel Quicker Clicker. The original, not the ones with rubber grips. It has a full-sized eraser and no cap, both of which are my main gripes with modern pencils. Since the advance is on the side you can apply more pressure on the eraser. You can still find the originals on ebay and sometimes Amazon. IMO they ruined the lineup around 15 years ago when they started adding the grips.

Edit: Here's the one I'm talking about. Eraser cap is optional.

Pioneer42 fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 14, 2020