Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Mmmm

Celluloid, sterling silver and gold.

A fine combination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Oh drat, that's pretty.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Ain't it though? It's a Delta 365 in Amber. I've been looking for this pen in this finish for a long-rear end time, and one came up for sale from Italy so I jumped in it. Price was even sorta reasonable in the context of rare Deltas.

Also, I bought a Delta 366 last year, so I pretty much had to get a 365.

Edit: Haven't done a family photo in a while, so gently caress it, here we go. These are all made by Delta except for the Leonardo Momento Zero, which was founded by the son of one of Delta's founders, and use a lot of their designs.

Top row, left to right:
-365 in Amber
-Passion in Red
-Dolcevita Oro Midsize
-Papillon in Blue
-Via Veneto in Black
-Hawaii Kanaka Maoli
-Activa in Sterling Silver and Turquoise
-Y2K Trend Special Edition Carbon Fibre
-366 in Tortoiseshell
-Dolcevita Federico in Ocean Blue (Martemodena Special Edition)
-Oblo in Red
-Unica in Blue
-Unica in Pink
-The Journal in Olive Matte Swirl (Peyton Street Pens Special Edition)
-The Journal in Indigo
-Markiaro Gaiola in Black
-Graffiti Doue Sterling Silver (V1)
-Sea Wood Dark Iroko Wood
-Momo Design Alumina in Blue
-Italiana in Light Ivory

Bottom row, Left to Right
-Autodromo Nazionale Monza in Red
-Fluida in Pink
-Vintage in Blue
-Vintage in White
-Markiaro Posillipo in Ivory
-Y2K Trend Mini in Red
-Unknown model, Sterling Silver
-Unknown model, Tortoiseshell Lacquer
-Unknown model, Chrome Plated
-Fusion 82 in Amber (Chatterly Luxuries Special Edition)
-Graffitii in Copper Lacquer (V2)
-Les Nabis Standard in Yellow
-Les Nabis Oversize in Blue
-Horsepower in Blue
-Virtuosa in Blue Swirl
-Leonardo Momento Zero in Horn (Vancouver Pen Club Special Edition)
-Martemodena Naturals Oversize in Pearwood (First Edition)
-Martemodena Chronicle in "Country" (First Edition)
-Monteverde Catalina in Horizon Blue

Yes, I have a problem - Not enough Deltas

grack fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 27, 2020

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Hmmm

How can I put this

gently caress

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

grack posted:

gently caress

Watch it work perfectly with Bay State Blue.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The nib can be fixed.

The issue is that the seller either knew it was damaged and didn't disclose it, or they were too loving stupid to inspect the pen before it shipped.

Also, it's a titanium nib, something I've actually never worked on.

VVVVV Edit: It's new. It was the one I purchased while whacked on migraine meds last week. The 365 I bought in June, it just took forever to arrive because it came from Italy and had to be shipped by boat (loving coronavirus)

grack fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 28, 2020

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Wait, that's a new one? I assumed you dropped it

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Heath posted:

Oh, I was talking about the nondisposable metal ones. I didn't know they made disposables.

yeah I'm talking about the metal one, this guy I had a couple of them some time ago, never had any problems, except obviously that the way the feed works means you don't get the full fountain pen experience. but whatever, they wrote really nicely for me

Doctor Dogballs fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 28, 2020

Skinote
Jan 12, 2009
Huge FP geek here - just haven't been on SA in decades

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Skinote posted:

There's a FP :confused:

Skinote
Jan 12, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

There's a FP :confused:

Fountain Pen - sorry!

Skinote
Jan 12, 2009
Oh yeah - I can fix Vacumatics if anyone has one they want repaired. I'll give a discount to SA, too: say $50 incl. CONUS shipping? Restoration includes new diaphragm to make it work, but also hand polishing, etc. to make it beautiful.
I also buy vintage pens (working or not).

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Skinote posted:

Welcome to the party. You picked an interesting time to come back.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Reminder that Hobonichi's 2021 planner line up starts tonight on their websites. They are super awesome and their pages are fountain pen friendly.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Pixelante posted:

Welcome to the party. You picked an interesting time to come back.

Check your PMs

grack
Jan 10, 2012

On the workbench this week (well, last week, actually), we have this TWSBI:

If you take a look at the picture above, the nib is bent so far off of the feed that the you can see daylight coming through the other side. What's happened here is that the pen was dropped on it's tip, bending the nib in to an "arch" shape, where the nib was only touching the nib at the base of the nib slit and at the very tip. This will, as you might expect, completely impede ink flow.

This is a multi-step fix, and requires that the nib be removed from the pen completely. The tines are bent in two places; downwards, in the middle of the tines, and upwards, at the base of the tines. The bends need to straightened in that order. The taper then needs to be reset as the work required to straighten the bend in the middle of the tines will often spread the tips too far apart. After that it's a matter a basic nib tuning eg. making sure the tips are aligned, not rotated, etc.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

grack posted:

On the workbench this week (well, last week, actually), we have this TWSBI:

I blame these jerks for the bent nib. It probably won't be the last that needs Gracking. Nib works perfectly now, though!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Kitties wonder why you sat back to take a picture instead of keep petting them.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Kitties wonder why you sat back to take a picture instead of keep petting them.

I interrupted them wrestling behind my monitor. Again.

They're hell on my pens and all my hobby stuff. Glass working has been problematic.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

And here I thought you blamed UNICEF.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 12, 2022

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
What about that pen appeals to you specifically? It all comes down to taste, really. What really matters for writing is the nib, and the 076 Bock is a pretty standard nib and probably isn't going to justify a high price point. Karas Kustoms uses the same nib. I'm really not a fan of Kickstarter pens since they really press you with the early bird pricing but you really have no idea what you're going to actually get or if it's going to have been worth the price. Magnetic cap is cool, but what's the purpose of it? The anti-rolling shape is nice, but a Lamy Safari has that for a quarter of the price, and it comes with a clip, which this one seems not to.

Basically, as with all fountain pens, aesthetics are king, so if you're really in love with it and have the money to blow, go for it. But I wouldn't expect any premium writing experience out of a standard Bock nib. That's not to say it won't write well, just that it won't be significantly different than similar, cheaper pens on the market.

As for nib material: the difference between nib metals is generally pretty insignificant. A good steel nib can be just as good if not better than a nib made of anything else. Even a gold nib just feels a little different but doesn't necessarily make your writing better.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 12, 2022

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

howe_sam posted:

Ha, I'll have to see if my Meijers has any when I go buy groceries this weekend.

I finally remembered to look and friends, they do

I totally bought a purple one. They also had some 2.4mm Parallels.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sorry for the off-topic post but I just got these from Aliexpress and the finger one is actually pretty good to write with:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000329046184.html

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Here's my made-to-order aka-tamenuri, two months-ish in the making. Please excuse the amateur-rear end video.

https://i.imgur.com/ljeceJ0.mp4

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Yeah, that's damned pretty

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Woah beautiful.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I ordered a Hongdian Black Forest that should have arrived today. This pen gets a lot of hype for being 12 bucks.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I got the pen and inked it up with Heart of Darkness.

Pros:
- all metal body
- looks very sleek with a nice knurled grip on the body, but the finish is otherwise matte black
- classy finial on the cap that doesn't look gaudy
- nib is very smooth and writes wonderfully
- cap posts well if you're into that, but it is very long
- cool black nib
- very good weight balance
- cap has a super satisfying click

Cons:
- I wish it were thicker around, I have big man hands
- clip is very stiff and has no bounce whatsoever, which could be a good thing depending on who's asking

Extremely loving solid pen for the price. I'm very impressed with it, if it were only a little meatier. This will be an EDC knockaround pen for sure.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
sounds good, i was considering that one. worried about the black nib flaking though, is it paint or some other process?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I haven't got the expertise to tell. It doesn't look painted? It's a #5 nib I think, you could probably replace it easily with something of better quality, but the writing surface is quite good

grack
Jan 10, 2012

It's supposed to be a PVD coating on the nib, so it should be a pretty tough finish.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Been carrying around the HD BF for a couple days now and it's held up nicely. No drying out, no visible damage, still writes well. Good buy for 13 bucks.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Heath posted:

Been carrying around the HD BF for a couple days now and it's held up nicely. No drying out, no visible damage, still writes well. Good buy for 13 bucks.

Yeah I got mine yesterday and I like it a lot so far, I'm interested to see how it holds up, but for $13 I'm kind of okay with whatever I get, honestly

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Got my 2020 Vanishing Point order in :toot:

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Do I want one of the 2020 decimos from this volume or wait to see if december has a color i like more...

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

God, 1000 unread posts? No way I will read all that (ctrl-click anyway).
However, I came here to say I bought a TWSBI 580 Rose Gold Fine nib, filled it with Platinum Carbon ink like the heathen I am and holy drat, if that aint a swanky looking piece of equipment that writes perfect from strike one. What is it with brands like TWSBI and Pilot making such fine tools for such reasonable prices? Anyway, just came in to share this joy.

Please continue with your regular stuff.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Ribbed, for your pleasure