Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Keetron posted:

(bought a TWSBI 580 Rose Gold with an F nib)

Ok, I also ordered a 580 clean plastic with an M nib and a small bottle of ink: Namiki Iroshizuku 15ml Ink - Autumn Leaves (momiji)
Just figured they would go well together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Momoji is a lovely ink. All of the iroshizuku inks are, really.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I have a bottle of Murasaki Shikibu that I like well enough but it doesn't have the crazy shading of my other Iroshizukus.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
So the Pilot Retro Pops are just Metropolitans, and haven't had any fall in quality?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Yeah, they're just metropolitans with special designs. Otherwise exactly the same. It's just a branding thing.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I wish you could get a Metro in retro pop colors but with a plain band. I'd like one of the red ones, but I'm not a fan of the band design. Closest thing is the "Cocoon" version but it's not the same red.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I've been replaying the Trails games (the best jrpg series ever. play it) and now that I have a broken pen brain I keep noticing whenever there's a pen in the game. This is the screen for one of the main menu's options.

That pen looks pretty detailed. Is it any pen in particular or just a generic looking (japanese) fountain pen?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

It looks like a mashup of Pilot and Platinum design elements, like an Izumo mixed with a Custom 743.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Heath posted:

I wish you could get a Metro in retro pop colors but with a plain band. I'd like one of the red ones, but I'm not a fan of the band design. Closest thing is the "Cocoon" version but it's not the same red.

Planeguy brought me back a couple Cocoons from Japan and I loves them. I also love my new Kaweco Fireblue. And my fixed TWSBI 580. And my Pilot Parallels.

I don't think we're gonna do a Secret Santa this year unless someone else wants to run it. We had more than one deadbeat last year, which wrecked our otherwise perfect record. However, I'm wondering if anyone wants to do a Penpal exchange instead. Much lower stakes if anyone flakes out and you might make a new friend.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I'm down for a pen pal exchange.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Yeah I'll send a letter or card out. That's within my budget/energy.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Dammit Canada Post, deliver my pretty, shiny, expensive things! :argh:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

grack posted:

Dammit Canada Post, deliver my pretty, shiny, expensive things! :argh:

You got another Delta, didn't you

grack
Jan 10, 2012

iospace posted:

You got another Delta, didn't you

Of course I did.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
I take comfort in the fact that twenty years forward we’ll probably be fighting the rad ghouls for water and Grack is still gonna be finding deltas

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The Iron Throne but it's Deltas

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Pixelante posted:

Planeguy brought me back a couple Cocoons from Japan and I loves them. I also love my new Kaweco Fireblue. And my fixed TWSBI 580. And my Pilot Parallels.

I don't think we're gonna do a Secret Santa this year unless someone else wants to run it. We had more than one deadbeat last year, which wrecked our otherwise perfect record. However, I'm wondering if anyone wants to do a Penpal exchange instead. Much lower stakes if anyone flakes out and you might make a new friend.

Yeah, it's a shame, and we weren't too many people to begin with. I thought COVID was affecting the mailing schledule, but now it's clear nothing was ever sent this way :(. Well, I had fun shopping and my santee seemed happy, so whatever.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Happy to send people stuff, and we do that regularly already over here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3400714
If you want (infrequent) letters/postcards and the option to send people things through snailmail *all year round*, this is the thread for you.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Heath posted:

The Iron Throne but it's Deltas

Once I've gathered enough Deltas I'll be able to summon Chupaclops The Great Spider, Harbringer of the Apocalypse and Destroyer of Worlds.

Having such a mighty beast as my ally with then make it much easier to get more Deltas.

Also I realized that I never actually posted a picture of the Titanio

Pretty unique body material

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Nice clip.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Yeah, I have no idea why Delta thought it was a good idea to put a bright, shiny chromed clip on a pen that otherwise has brushed titanium trim.

Edit:

Finally

A Delta "Profili". Sterling silver engraved, faceted body, ruby-red celluloid trim, 14k rhodium-plated nib

So, so pretty

grack fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 25, 2020

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

If you're actually buying deltas so that you can bring an end to the world could you please hurry it up

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I thought the world was already doing that on it's own

grack fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 26, 2020

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
Anyone have special insight into why my Sheaffer Imperial Touchdown is leaking where the cap goes on the section? It seems to fill fine, but whenever I take the cap off there's a ring of ink.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

fanny packrat posted:

Anyone have special insight into why my Sheaffer Imperial Touchdown is leaking where the cap goes on the section? It seems to fill fine, but whenever I take the cap off there's a ring of ink.

Cracked section? After wiping off the ring of ink, use a wet paper towel and gently dab all around the section to see if you can pull any more ink out of the crack, which might not otherwise be visible.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

I had a leaking pilot metro with similar symptomes and it turned out to be a cracked converter.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

Dad Hominem posted:

Cracked section? After wiping off the ring of ink, use a wet paper towel and gently dab all around the section to see if you can pull any more ink out of the crack, which might not otherwise be visible.

So I took the pen apart yesterday and inspected everything for cracks or other opportunities for ink to leak out. Couldn't find anything. When I was putting it back together I noticed that there was ink in the threads of the section. I cleaned that up pretty well, flushed the Bay State Blue out until it was running clear, then refilled with Skrip Red. Today I took the cap off and... more blue ink. I just spent another 15 minutes cleaning the section threads, barrel threads, and the inside of the cap. All blue ink, not a bit of red in sight. I think I probably screwed something up the first time I filled it with BSB and ever since there's been ink trapped in the threads that gets pulled up with capillary action and forced out of the seam where the barrel and section meet. Hopefully this is the end of it!

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
I have a platinum 3776 that has a hairline crack in its section on the outside which will trap ink when doing a convertor bottle fill via the nib if you dip it deep, it takes forever to clear out the ink from that crack.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

fanny packrat posted:

So I took the pen apart yesterday and inspected everything for cracks or other opportunities for ink to leak out. Couldn't find anything. When I was putting it back together I noticed that there was ink in the threads of the section. I cleaned that up pretty well, flushed the Bay State Blue out until it was running clear, then refilled with Skrip Red. Today I took the cap off and... more blue ink. I just spent another 15 minutes cleaning the section threads, barrel threads, and the inside of the cap. All blue ink, not a bit of red in sight. I think I probably screwed something up the first time I filled it with BSB and ever since there's been ink trapped in the threads that gets pulled up with capillary action and forced out of the seam where the barrel and section meet. Hopefully this is the end of it!

Two points

1. Don't use BSB in anything you care about, especially if it has a sac.

2. If you're going to use BSB in a pen, only use BSB in that pen. It reacts poorly with other inks and can create literal jellied lumps in the feed and reservoir. It's also incredibly difficult to fully clean.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

grack posted:

1. Don't use BSB

That's my take on it

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Is Baystate Purple the same deal is Baystate Blue? I got a bottle in a gift exchange a couple years ago and haven't used it yet.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Heath posted:

That's my take on it

From everything I have read, I see many reasons to avoid noodlers to begin with. Nice detail is that my local show, that is very well assorted, does not carry noodlers ink.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Keetron posted:

From everything I have read, I see many reasons to avoid noodlers to begin with. Nice detail is that my local show, that is very well assorted, does not carry noodlers ink.

:wrong:

54th Mass is the best

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Keetron posted:

I'm pretty happy with Apache Sunset and Lexington Grey but the Vancouver Pen Shop won't touch Noodler's. The lady who runs the place gave me one hell of a death stare for even asking.

"It clogs pens."
"Okay."
"It. Clogs. Pens."

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Keetron posted:

Noodler's should be thoroughly researched, because they can be either fantastic or terrible and there is 0 consistency between two different colors. My best inks and my worst inks are both Noodler's. I use a ton of Bad Belted Kingfisher (easily my best utilitarian ink) and Heart of Darkness (my second best) and I have a couple of bottles that are so bad that I just dumped them (American Aristocracy.)

Good Noodler's that I've tried:
BBK
HoD
Tokyo Gift (love this one)
Apache Sunset
Navajo Turquoise
Nightshade (although mine got mold in it, but it writes well)
Golden Brown
Ottoman Azure (wonderful blue)
Habanero

Bad:
American Aristocracy
Uhhh whatever else I've dumped out and forgotten about

Neutral:
Blue Ghost (it works! It's cool! But it's very limited usefulness unless you're an artist or writing code letters)
Black Swan in English Roses (beautiful, but it dries out in the nib and gets gummy, works well if diluted)
Borealis Black (the blackest black, but it has almost a dusty quality to it, not quite as smooth as HoD but it's like Sharpie black)

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Heath posted:

Noodler's should be thoroughly researched, because they can be either fantastic or terrible and there is 0 consistency between two different colors.

Sometimes even a single color will be inconsistent: Color Change for Black Swan in Australian Roses

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I've never had a problem with BSB, but i also only use it in C/C pens that I can easily clean.

It's a really vibrant, if a little flat, blue that writes well when you have it in a pen. Which isn't something I can say for Organics Studio's big sheeners, like that Santiago's Sea. The sheen is amazing, but given the way it tends to dry on the nib makes it almost not worth the trouble.

I guess the moral is stick with kon-peki.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Pixelante posted:

Is Baystate Purple the same deal is Baystate Blue? I got a bottle in a gift exchange a couple years ago and haven't used it yet.

All the Baystate colours should be treated with equal caution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Kon-Peki is just wonderful.

I will put my skin on the line and say I absolutely despise Organics Studios inks. I have their royal blue and it is the messiest, fussiest ink I've ever used. Pages I wrote with years ago still smudge. No matter how much I wipe off my desk, even though it looks completely clean, even though I haven't used this ink since 2017, I still will get random blue spots on pages, on my arm, anywhere. I will wipe the desk down with a wet cloth and find nothing, sit down, and have blue on me. I do not understand it.

It's so pretty, but it's so, so, so bad for actually using. It dries to rock solid in the nib in a heartbeat but never actually fixes to paper.

Heath fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 28, 2020