Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Keetron posted:

Nobody, this is a complete shock to the community. How could he have betrayed us like this? Now where do we go for reasonably priced inks while pretending everything is cool?

I'd love to have a link to the thread by the way so I can forward it to lacouronne

I suspect it's https://www.reddit.com/r/fountainpens/comments/um4uih/i_would_never_buy_noodler_ink_tw_antisemitic/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

holy poo poo. that's so blatant. how did no one selling this think it was a problem until now

can't say I'm surprised and I'm sure it will unfortunately be forgotten within a year.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Friends, it's cool, the Goulet's are on the case.

Rachel Goulet posted:

Anyways. This issue has also triggered my anxiety but for other reasons, because in all the years we’ve known Nathan, we’ve never known him to be antisemitic.
In the other Reddit thread talking about this, she confesses that she never knew horns were antisemitc, but please continue

quote:

Brian spent over an hour and a half on the phone with him tonight,
Another side note, I find this image very, very funny.

quote:

and he was genuinely apologetic for his ignorance, to sum it up. If you know anything about Nathan, you know he is singularly laser focused on the issues of fiscal conservatism and freedom of speech, but unfortunately that has created some blind spots.
We'll just set aside how often the Venn diagram of Tardiff's politics and antisemitism are a circle.

quote:

Especially when you bring individual people in, and all the nuances and layers involved with referencing a person. He mis-stepped with the imagery on these labels, and he owes the fountain pen community a real apology and an explanation of his true intent, followed by actions of change. And he is working on providing that, very soon. I do believe him that his intentions were not coming from a place of anti-semitism, but nevertheless that doesn’t excuse the outcome. It is not okay to make anyone feel discriminated or marginalized, whether intentional or unintentional. I am hopeful that he has now been clearly made aware of the problem and will do whatever he can to make it right with the community.

That's all well and good, but I will believe it when I see it.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Mhmm.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat
What’s out there that’s both colourful and waterproof, other than Noodlers? Specifically a blue and red ink; I like having multiple colours for marking up drawings at work, but stuff occasionally gets sprayed with water.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Check out the DeAtramentis Document line of inks.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Is there a rant from tardiff somewhere in the reddit thread?

I mean mayyyybe he didn't know they were anti semite imagery?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I could buy that he maybe didn't know the gross thing where anti-semites think Jews have horns, it's not necessarily common knowledge, but when you rebrand the ink and change its label to this:

What I circled pretty much tells you everything you need to know.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
All of this is a good demonstration of how narrow the line is between "loveable nutter" and "piece of poo poo." And I'm guessing if you scratch the surface of most loveable nutters, you're gunna get some anti-semitism leaking out.

Are any of us shocked that the guy who made half his labels look like the side of a van parked outside of the WTO offices in DC every morning turned out like this?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Ok, well I just saw this on a r/fountainpens post on the subject and laughed pretty hard.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Mad Hamish posted:

I could buy that he maybe didn't know the gross thing where anti-semites think Jews have horns, it's not necessarily common knowledge, but when you rebrand the ink and change its label to this:

What I circled pretty much tells you everything you need to know.

Shocking that he can't take criticism well.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I was confused as to what about it is anti-semitic but I guess it's the horns? (Not ever gonna read a Reddit thread lmao.)

e: Oh, yeah. https://jewishstudies.unc.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/380/2017/05/AS2016.studentposter.Edwards.Final_.pdf

ee: Oh there were more posts :negative:

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 14:32 on May 11, 2022

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Well, guess Nathan is now stained for life... :haw:

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

howe_sam posted:

Friends, it's cool, the Goulet's are on the case.

In the other Reddit thread talking about this, she confesses that she never knew horns were antisemitc, but please continue

Another side note, I find this image very, very funny.

We'll just set aside how often the Venn diagram of Tardiff's politics and antisemitism are a circle.

That's all well and good, but I will believe it when I see it.

"never knew him to be antisemitic" is a fun one. I don't doubt that she and brian genuinely never heard him say anything outwardly antisemitic but something tells me the topic probably also never came up. Most conversations don't start with asking someone's opinion on the jewish people. Racists will also talk in code or will talk around their true meanings to get a sense of present company. Rarely does it manifest as just immediately shouting slurs.

edit: i would wager that if the Goulet's looked back at past meetings with Nathan they'd remember something iffy. Things that just bounced right off them because they're well off, white, Christians. Dog whistles like references to 'western civilization'

I do appreciate how hard this reddit is going after the Goulets though lmao. I hope they get it right in the end as their store is so otherwise good.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 11, 2022

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Given the number of weird old guys who use calligraphy to write out Bill Burr routines about Millennials I'm sure we're about to get some loving amazingly stupid takes.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Sankis posted:

"never knew him to be antisemitic" is a fun one. I don't doubt that she and brian genuinely never heard him say anything outwardly antisemitic but something tells me the topic probably also never came up. Most conversations don't start with asking someone's opinion on the jewish people. Racists will also talk in code or will talk around their true meanings to get a sense of present company. Rarely does it manifest as just immediately shouting slurs.

edit: i would wager that if the Goulet's looked back at past meetings with Nathan they'd remember something iffy. Things that just bounced right off them because they're well off, white, Christians. Dog whistles like references to 'western civilization'

I've been thinking about this as well, because rarely does this stuff exist in a vacuum. This isn't even the first time he's put horns on Jewish people, his Volcker Green controversy wasn't that long ago.

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 11, 2022

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Honest question--if he were to apologize, relabel his products, and show better judgment and communication for an extended period of time--would you ever buy his products again?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Chip McFuck posted:

I've been thinking about this as well, because rarely does this stuff exist in a vacuum. This isn't even the first time he's put horns on Jewish people, his Volcker Green controversy wasn't that long ago.

I'm not about to go watch hours of his unhinged racist garbage but supposedly, according to that reddit thread, Nathan made it pretty clear in his YouTube videos that he knew what he was doing.

Pioneer42 posted:

Honest question--if he were to apologize, relabel his products, and show better judgment and communication for an extended period of time--would you ever buy his products again?

If he were to apologize to some of the people hurt, show genuine contrition and a desire to make amends and be a better person maybe

Sankis fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 11, 2022

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I didn't realize the Goulets were actual personal friends with the guy. I liked their friendliness, small business vibes, replacement nibs, attention to detail with purchases... but there's no way they didn't know what he was like. Somehow I just thought they carried the products because they were popular in the community. I guess I'll be looking into buying from Anderson Pens in the future.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Pioneer42 posted:

I mean, for him to apologize would require the kind of contrition and self awareness that he clearly doesn't have if he made an ink called "censor Red"

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Pioneer42 posted:

I don't think he's capable of honest change. When he was accused of anti-Semitism after he released Volcker Green, he released a video saying that he couldn't be racist against Jews because his favorite economist is Milton Friedman.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Pioneer42 posted:

No, I don't like his inks much and I have the money to spare for other brands. Don't need to buy from the affordable racist, I rather buy from expensive racists.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I don't think apologizing and relabeling would do much for the fact that he's an aggressive anti-masker who probably wants me dead, even setting aside the one guy on Reddit who seems to think that a symptom of autism is being unable to tell when someone is Jewish.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Dude is at best a regular Art Bell caller, and at worst has a well-worn copy of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion and there are a million other inks to buy.

So nope.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

In general the things I want from inks these days are not things Noodler's does especially well, so it's not a huge deal for me to not buy anything new from him. Plus I've still got like 3/4 of a bottle of Dark Matter, and a mostly full bottle of Eel Black, so that should last me like a decade.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Yeah, I tend to think the very particular niche that Noodler's has filled for the last two decades is no longer so small that he needs to be forgiven for ... whatever the gently caress this is. Take your business elsewhere.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Yeah-it's a lot easier now to get what we want from better people/companies.

It's been a long time since I was excited about a Noodler's ink, to be honest. I did appreciate the great lengths gone to for mold inhibition, but hopefully others have caught up by now. And using good pen hygiene does wonders for that anyway.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Unrelated to Noodler's and gross libertarian poo poo (lol all libertarian poo poo is gross), the GF and I put in an order with Ferris Wheel Press on Sunday and the goods arrived on Tuesday afternoon. We got four bottles of ink (Open Sea Atrium, Moonlit Jade, Magical Metropolis, and Tokyo Bay Blue), and I also ordered a pair of their Carousel pens, because I was curious how they were. The GF doesn't know about those yet but when she gets here today she'll get to choose which one she wants.

I inked one with Open Sea Atrium and the other with Moonlit Jade. Both colours are gorgeous, but I am enchanted with the Open Sea Atrium - it has such a lovely turquoise colour and that golden sparkle is amazing! It's a bit paler than Mirror Mirror of Moraine.

Glittery anything is hard to photograph but I did my best in these close-ups:

As for the pens: gonna be real, they feel kind of cheap. The nib is cute and I like the colours of the plastic but it feels kind of insubstantial. They cost $33 CAD each although I will point out that they come with a converter, and the converter has a little glass ball inside which I assume is to help agitate the ink. Considering that I seem to really go for glittery ink, that's probably a good feature.

They do feel a bit short, as you can see here in this photo with a Lamy Safari for scale:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
https://www.instagram.com/p/CdbZLg4poEJ/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Nathan has issued an apology, will be rebranding the inks (Volcker and Bernanke), and has donated $3,600 to the ADL. The apology is posted on his IG.

Goulet has elected to halt all sales of Noodler's for the time being, announced here on their IG.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

:eyepop: goddamn that's pretty

Xun fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 12, 2022

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Heath posted:

whatever the gently caress this is.

It's mainstream conservatism. It usually maintains a more polite facade but it's been a big part of it for a long time.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I’m just catching up on the Noodlers saga, and I’m a little surprised at the apparent genuineness of that apology. It wasn’t really a complete one, but that’s more action toward an appropriate apology than the usual libertarian crank caught doing a racism. I guess in this kind of community it’s not like there’s a bunch of chuds who will rush to his defense despite no previous interest in niche writing accessories like you’d get for Black Rifle Coffee Company or My Pillow.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I’m just catching up on the Noodlers saga, and I’m a little surprised at the apparent genuineness of that apology. It wasn’t really a complete one, but that’s more action toward an appropriate apology than the usual libertarian crank caught doing a racism. I guess in this kind of community it’s not like there’s a bunch of chuds who will rush to his defense despite no previous interest in niche writing accessories like you’d get for Black Rifle Coffee Company or My Pillow.

I'm not sure about that, but I think those chuds are limited almost exclusively to Facebook groups and they don't have the kind of cache to rally the troops outside of the immediate community, nor does Nathan Tardiff have the kind of larger notoriety of Mike Pillow or the BRC guys. There's no way to stir that pot where an otherwise irritable hemorrhoid Trump supporter sort isn't going to zone out at the mere mention of this being not just over pens, but fountain pens.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

There were still pleas for Goulet Pens to not "go woke" on the IG statement above, so

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Given how specific the design was, I have some difficulty believing that it was unintentional on Tardiff's part.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The classic apologize after people tell you it's bad, and because they threatened to cut off your business.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

grack posted:

Given how specific the design was, I have some difficulty believing that it was unintentional on Tardiff's part.

Sorry....

I got caught

And then relabeled it to make it less incriminating but saying that people throwing a fit about a jewish devil banker trying to cancel culture me.

sorry again for that

i got caught

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So what's everyone's favorite replacement for Baystate Blue? I'm looking to focus more on the intense indigo color rather than the sketchiness in certain pens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Update to the update: Pilot Germany, not realizing Pilot Austria already fixed the problem, also fixed the problem.

I let them know because I'm an honest moron, let's see what happens.