Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Muir posted:

You could just buy another TWSBI Eco and it will come with a wrench!

Edit: oh wait that's what you were saying. Yes well.

:hfive:

finally, someone gets it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I feel like I have been sniping a lot of threads and also drinking a lot of tequila today

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I bought another Delta and it's VERY PRETTY but the prettiness doesn't show up on camera :negative:

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

sb hermit posted:

:hfive:

finally, someone gets it

If you buy two then you’ll have two wrenches, saving future you from having to buy another pen

If anything, you’d be a hero

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

angerbeet posted:

If you buy two then you’ll have two wrenches, saving future you from having to buy another pen

If anything, you’d be a hero

ooh, I’m gonna be popular at the next Pelikan hub

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

grack posted:

I bought another Delta and it's VERY PRETTY but the prettiness doesn't show up on camera :negative:

Is your pen a vampire?

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011

sb hermit posted:

ooh, I’m gonna be popular at the next Pelikan hub

If there is one, I saw that Pelikan were trying to sell their fine writing division.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Abyss posted:

If there is one, I saw that Pelikan were trying to sell their fine writing division.

True, but I signed up for the hub this september so hopefully they don’t change their mind!

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

My struggles with my TWSBI Go continue, although it seems to only be when I'm starting to write, so maybe I'm just still finding the sweet spot, or maybe it's just not an instant starter, I dunno.

What I DO know is that man, Iroshizuku Shin-Kai has rapidly become one of my favorite inks. It's just such a lovely blue-black.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I have acquired a fountain pen. Thank you, posting comrades ITT.

:)

Ornery and Hornery fucked around with this message at 14:02 on May 30, 2023

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
yessssssss one of us one of us

which did you get?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

HopperUK posted:

Is your pen a vampire?

It is rather sparkly, so maybe

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Doctor Hospital posted:

My struggles with my TWSBI Go continue, although it seems to only be when I'm starting to write, so maybe I'm just still finding the sweet spot, or maybe it's just not an instant starter, I dunno.

What I DO know is that man, Iroshizuku Shin-Kai has rapidly become one of my favorite inks. It's just such a lovely blue-black.

My Iris seems to enjoy a very specific angle, which is vaguely obnoxious with the left hand. Other pens have been slightly more forgiving, but I've noticed that the TWSBI has a more even, controlled inkflow than my other pens, once it gets going.

I need to ink it up again. I got a shimmer clog and had to flush it out. But that just gave me an opportunity to learn how to take care of it better. :3:

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
I did take the advice I got upthread to actually draw with my pen and I spent a very pleasant hour's wait for a medical exam just doing that. Sailor's MF nib lends itself well and I had a lot of fun. 10/10, would otherwise have spent that time being insanely bored.

I'm rubbish at drawing and will likely never show anyone the results, but it was satisfying and I still think it came out well for someone who doesn't draw at all. So that's cool :)

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gqb5VQKOCE

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I know some of you are Italian pen perverts so you may want to know there's a Maiora overstock sale at truphae.

https://www.truphaeinc.com/collections/maiora-flash-sale

I have no idea about this brand. They seem like yet another super expensive resin body + jowo nib brand but they're pretty as gently caress :shrug:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Maiora was founded by Nino Marino, one of the original founders of Delta.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Wancher is launching a sister brand '1 x One x Wan' for tiny pocket pens and they look so adorable:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Chip McFuck posted:

Wancher is launching a sister brand '1 x One x Wan' for tiny pocket pens and they look so adorable:

:sigh: shipping is as much as the pen itself, and then VAT on top.

Use JAPANWELCOME for 5% off, apparently.

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 9, 2023

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
It's like someone urushi'd a Moonman Q1

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
I'll be going to Berlin in a couple weeks, anyone got recommendations for a cool pen shop to visit?

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

"Either way, it's going to hurt like crazy."
I have a Binderized Vanishing Point with an italifine nib, I have been using it as a lefty for some odd years as a workhorse with Heart of Darkness ink; what is the cheapest pen that will offer me a smooth writing experience (either flex or italic nib) to use with a different ink? I have tried Lamy and a nondescript pen from a pen store but I don't find them smooth enough.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

Passive Aggreeable posted:

I have a Binderized Vanishing Point with an italifine nib, I have been using it as a lefty for some odd years as a workhorse with Heart of Darkness ink; what is the cheapest pen that will offer me a smooth writing experience (either flex or italic nib) to use with a different ink? I have tried Lamy and a nondescript pen from a pen store but I don't find them smooth enough.

If you're already used to a customized nib from one of the top names in the business it probably won't be easy to find a cheap pen that meets your standards. What kind of budget are you working with? I'd be looking at factory 14k stubs like say the Pilot Custom 74, or finding a retailer that does customizations on new pens ordered from them. Maybe secondhand from someone who got a nib customized and didn't like it?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

I like the house nibs from Franklin-Christoph, and their Stub Italic Gradient (SIG) is smooth but still has the line variation of an italic.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

How much does it usually cost to get a nib fixed? My Pilot Falcon has never written particularly well so I got it in my head that I could smooth it out during a fun episode

I kinda did. It's pretty smooth now but if I put any pressure down the tines dig pretty hard into the paper so I clearly hosed that up and at this point I'm worried about destroying any more of the tipping material.

Edit: and any recommendations? wait times don't particularly bother me. it'll be a fun surprise after I forget about it

Sankis fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jun 15, 2023

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Isn’t the falcon the one with the unique flexing action? You’re a braver soul than I, setting your hand upon those tines.

E: oh, I see now you were having an ~*~experience~*~ nvm

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Sankis posted:

How much does it usually cost to get a nib fixed? My Pilot Falcon has never written particularly well so I got it in my head that I could smooth it out during a fun episode

I kinda did. It's pretty smooth now but if I put any pressure down the tines dig pretty hard into the paper so I clearly hosed that up and at this point I'm worried about destroying any more of the tipping material.

Edit: and any recommendations? wait times don't particularly bother me. it'll be a fun surprise after I forget about it

Gena Salorino is great, I've had them do custom grinds for me on lots of pens. https://www.customnibstudio.com/

Michael Masuyama is also a legend in nib grinding and I've sent him pens too which have always turned out great. http://www.mikeitwork.com/

Repair costs will always depend on how bad it is; Gena's site says $30-75 for straightening bent nibs. Mike's says ~$40.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

I used Mike and Linda from Indy-Pen-Dance for two of my pens (a Lamy 200 with a bent nib and a Pilot 823 with twisted and splayed tines) and they did exceptional work. I think it was about $45-$55 dollars each and they also adjusted the flows to be a little wetter for free. If you're in the Midwest they also go to Anderson Pens every couple of months as well as have a booth at every major pen show if you want your pen fixed in person, but you can send your stuff to them via mail as well. I think the wait was just over a month for mine, though their backlog fluctuates and wait times could be longer.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

I firmly believe that nib tuning and custom grinds are the best money you can spend on fountain pens.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I have a pen with a titanium nib that just flat out doesn't write well (I think the tines are too close to each other or even crossing over one another slightly, it sometimes feels like they "snap" past each other when writing) so I've thought about finding someone who tunes titanium nibs but it's hard to justify $50ish plus shipping to tune a pen that cost me maybe $100 new. I know it's probably hard to quantify, but is it worth it even in those cases?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Do you like the pen enough that you want to use it for a long time? If so, go for it. It's an investment in future writing pleasure.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

MockingQuantum posted:

I have a pen with a titanium nib that just flat out doesn't write well (I think the tines are too close to each other or even crossing over one another slightly, it sometimes feels like they "snap" past each other when writing) so I've thought about finding someone who tunes titanium nibs but it's hard to justify $50ish plus shipping to tune a pen that cost me maybe $100 new. I know it's probably hard to quantify, but is it worth it even in those cases?

Sadly it's the case that many pen manufacturers, including some high end ones, just don't do quality control on their nibs. You could've spent 10x more on the pen and still not had a guaranteed good nib. If you like the pen body and the nib otherwise then go for it.

Any nib smith should have no problem working with titanium.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I cleaned out my Kakuno today and it has filled me with an intense hatred for the Pilot CON-70. Stupid thing is so drat hard to clean.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Muir posted:

Sadly it's the case that many pen manufacturers, including some high end ones, just don't do quality control on their nibs. You could've spent 10x more on the pen and still not had a guaranteed good nib. If you like the pen body and the nib otherwise then go for it.

Cool, good to know. I couldn't find out a whole lot about it based on a brief googling, I wasn't sure if titanium nibs required different tools or something like that. I'll probably reach out to some of the people mentioned here, Indy-Pen-Dance are somewhere in the area up here so they seem like an obvious choice.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Doctor Hospital posted:

I cleaned out my Kakuno today and it has filled me with an intense hatred for the Pilot CON-70. Stupid thing is so drat hard to clean.

That thing makes me appreciate the tiny Kaweco sport plunger converters: sure, they hold like 6 pages of ink, but they are by far the easiest converter to clean!

Pilot is so good at so many things. I just don't get why they have such awful to use converters!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The old style Con-70s you could fully disassemble to deep clean, and the new ones seem to be a little better at keeping ink from getting behind the gasket, so you can flush them out with a syringe and that should be good enough.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Muir posted:

You can just mention Visconti by name, no need to be coy about it. Also Pelikan because I've had to fix some absolute horrorshows lately.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
I’m a pilot fanboy, I’ve had no problems sending stuff for them to fix for free.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

howe_sam posted:

The old style Con-70s you could fully disassemble to deep clean, and the new ones seem to be a little better at keeping ink from getting behind the gasket, so you can flush them out with a syringe and that should be good enough.

A blunt syringe is the way to go. You can put the needletip right up to the steel tube inside the converter and blast water right into the back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
I’d additionally recommend Kirk Speer at Pen Realm - I adore the CSI I got on my VP, and I got lovely tomahawk slits on a couple TWSBIs to make them a bit softer and more pleasant to write with - I use them as “beaters” to use with shimmer, pigment, etc. since you can disassemble them so thoroughly and easily.