Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

Captain von Trapp posted:

But the G2 would let disposable pen snobs look down on you! You at least have to go for a Pentel EnerGel or something.

Yes, but having them look down on me lets me look down on them in an ourobouros of contempt and smug superiority. It's the circle of life for writing instrument enthusiasts.

edit: shameful snipe :69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Lmao, today's Questionable Content is one big ad for the Pilot Custom 74

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Hmm

Just bought an Aurora 88.

Also, a Montblanc 22, a Sheaffer Touchdown Imperial, another Sheaffer Touchdown and a Levenger True Writer

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

grack posted:

Hmm

Just bought an Aurora 88.

Also, a Montblanc 22, a Sheaffer Touchdown Imperial, another Sheaffer Touchdown and a Levenger True Writer

How many do you have?

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I haven't posted in here for a while, but I'm still using my Diplomat A2 on a daily basis at my job. I work with an older demographic so it's always fun hearing, "Is that a fountain pen? I haven't seen one of those in years!".

Anyhoo, I thought I would be satisfied with leaving it at that, but then Goulet had to go advertising a carbon fiber pen with rose gold accents so I had to order one of those tonight. And I figured that as long as I'm diversifying my collection a bit I should try some Diamine Ancient Copper ink since it would look great with my diplomat, and also get some basic cleaning supplies to maintain them all. But THIS time I''m pretty sure I'll be content with what I have.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

This is some pro level <homophobic slur> right here.

Do you trust fund maoists really enjoy the scent of your own farts that much?

Jabarto posted:

I haven't posted in here for a while, but I'm still using my Diplomat A2 on a daily basis at my job. I work with an older demographic so it's always fun hearing, "Is that a fountain pen? I haven't seen one of those in years!".

Anyhoo, I thought I would be satisfied with leaving it at that, but then Goulet had to go advertising a carbon fiber pen with rose gold accents so I had to order one of those tonight. And I figured that as long as I'm diversifying my collection a bit I should try some Diamine Ancient Copper ink since it would look great with my diplomat, and also get some basic cleaning supplies to maintain them all. But THIS time I''m pretty sure I'll be content with what I have.
Everything is proceeding normally.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

iospace posted:

How many do you have?

More than I'm comfortable counting.

To be clear, though, I bought them in a lot and I'm going to sell everything with the exception of the Aurora 88. To be perfectly honest, I made (what I thought) was a ridiculously low bid on eBay, and I'm kind of astonished I won. I paid $280CDN, shipping included for everything.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I do love Diamine Ancient Copper, but I recently cleaned out a pen with it (to try their Poppy Red) and, well, it turns out spots of it on a paper towel next to a syringe is a bad look if you're showing a friend the place you just moved to.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

New pen(s) day today!

Left-to-right

An Aurora 88, a Montblanc 22, a Levenger True Writer "Starry Night", a Sheaffer Touchdown Imperial, a Sheaffer Tip-Dip Cadet, and a Kaweco Dia 2.

The Dia 2 wasn't actually in the original auction, but the seller included it as a bonus.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ok, question.

I'm a bicyclist. I need a pen that would survive me riding my bike everywhere, ideally in a back pocket for a daily carry (as in literally a back pocket, it's on my lower back :v:). I've heard good things about the Karas Fountain K in terms of durability in regards to the body, but would it have leaking potential or?

The biggest "shocks" are going to be rough roads, which are anywhere from "cobbled due to wear" to gravel to smooth as glass asphalt/concrete.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Oof. I mean, I hate to be a downer in the fountain pen thread, but being exposed to that kind of jerking around on the reg is a strong contraindicator for the noble fountain pen. The problem isn't the wear and tear on the body or anything, it's that a fountain pen is basically a container of ink with a small hole in it, and bouncing it is going to make it leak, full stop.

There are fountain pens made to close the hole (there's no one term for that mechanism, I don't think), but all the ones that leap to mind are ... more form than function, in the way that I think you're looking for. I could be wrong about that and somebody makes a solid brass safety pen or something, but you might want to think about a nice rollerball/ballpoint.

Pilot Metropolitans come in ballpoints that take... I think Dr Grip Center of Gravity refills, I have one and use it frequently. Solid brass. Pretty sure I can kill a man with it and use it after.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
and there it is, the rare use case for a Boston Safety Pen.

Caffeinated Jerkoff
Jul 13, 2014

iospace posted:

Ok, question.

I'm a bicyclist. I need a pen that would survive me riding my bike everywhere, ideally in a back pocket for a daily carry (as in literally a back pocket, it's on my lower back :v:). I've heard good things about the Karas Fountain K in terms of durability in regards to the body, but would it have leaking potential or?

The biggest "shocks" are going to be rough roads, which are anywhere from "cobbled due to wear" to gravel to smooth as glass asphalt/concrete.

Maybe a pen with a vacuum filling mechanism? On a vac filler, the ink reservoir is sealed off from the feed until you unscrew the back, so only ink in the feed could leak out on a rough road. Whatever pen you choose, you should probably stow it cap-up to minimize leakage.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I packed some fountain pens in on my bike (and even hit some gravel along the way for fun sometimes) and didn't have much issue with my vanishing point, twsbi eco, and lamy safari. I was keeping it in a case inside some panniers normally though, not strapped to my shin or something where it was getting swung around nonstop though. Lower back should be pretty stable though unless you're getting out of the saddle and sprinting regularly though, its not that much more motion than walking around really.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I keep a Lamy Nexx M clipped on my work lanyard and as long as it stays mostly cap-up it is fine with all the jostle.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dr. Despair posted:

I packed some fountain pens in on my bike (and even hit some gravel along the way for fun sometimes) and didn't have much issue with my vanishing point, twsbi eco, and lamy safari. I was keeping it in a case inside some panniers normally though, not strapped to my shin or something where it was getting swung around nonstop though. Lower back should be pretty stable though unless you're getting out of the saddle and sprinting regularly though, its not that much more motion than walking around really.

Yeah, it would be in my middle back pocket. The hilarious thing is the roads I hit tend to be rougher than the gravel segments.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

iospace posted:

Yeah, it would be in my middle back pocket. The hilarious thing is the roads I hit tend to be rougher than the gravel segments.

Look at something with a smaller nib, to minimize the possible ink splatter. If you like Kara's Kustoms, you could look at something like the Fountain-K, as that uses the smaller Bock 060 nib unit. A Lamy would work well, and the Safari is made of extremely tough ABS plastic.

Edit:

Well, it's no Delta, but it's not without it's charm

grack fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 27, 2020

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

grack posted:

Look at something with a smaller nib, to minimize the possible ink splatter. If you like Kara's Kustoms, you could look at something like the Fountain-K, as that uses the smaller Bock 060 nib unit. A Lamy would work well, and the Safari is made of extremely tough ABS plastic.

I was looking at a Safari because of the ABS plastic as well. Also debating the Noodler's Boston Safety Pen, but that's a flex nib...

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
If it’s a small nib needed, a steel Vector might be best. Cheap to replace if lost, too.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Captain von Trapp posted:

But the G2 would let disposable pen snobs look down on you! You at least have to go for a Pentel EnerGel or something.

This is straight up my favorite non fountain pen. Gave them as a gift to a buddy going back to school in his 30’s, and he loveesss them.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I got a metal g2 and then bought a pelikan rollerball refill to go in it and it's pretty fantastic. I hear montblanc also works though you need to cut the top off a bit.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I prefer the Paper Mate gel pen equivalent to the G2. The ink doesn't run as much if I get it wet.

G2 is definitely nicer to use though. Currently using a G2 at work so I can refill the refill with fountain pen ink.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Uni-ball Jetstream and Uni-ball Vision Elite are the undisputed kings of the disposable non-fountain pen world, the only mark against them being that you can't often walk into like a Staples or whatever and find one.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
There's a few cheap pens out there where the cap only covers the nib and not the section, so if it leaks it's not as likely to get all over you.

The Jinhao shark in particular also has a hooded nib. Bonus points for being adorable. It's probably not that durable but it's four bucks.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The Muji fountain pen might be a good choice as well. It's all metal and the cap only covers the nib, not the section. The nib doesn't tend to be all that smooth, but it'll definitely be usable.

VVVVVVV Edit: Yes, it's a standard Schmidt #5 nib.

grack fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 27, 2020

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Is the nib on that one replaceable? I've always been curious about it as a low profile writer but I've never pulled the trigger on it.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

iospace posted:

Maybe a Wing Sung 699? It's a vacuum filler so you can seal the ink chamber from the section and it's made from some pretty thick plastic. The clip (at least on mine) is also nice and strong so it should be able to hold on pretty well.

Anyone have a recommendation for a purple or green ink? Something nice and dark. I just placed an order for another Sailor (that makes two on the way now! God, this rabbit hole...) and would love to put some fun ink in it that's not a blue or gray.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I have some Poussiere de Lune that's a nice dark purple but I think they changed it recently to be more pink

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Chip McFuck posted:

Maybe a Wing Sung 699? It's a vacuum filler so you can seal the ink chamber from the section and it's made from some pretty thick plastic. The clip (at least on mine) is also nice and strong so it should be able to hold on pretty well.

I'll look into that one as well

quote:

Anyone have a recommendation for a purple or green ink? Something nice and dark. I just placed an order for another Sailor (that makes two on the way now! God, this rabbit hole...) and would love to put some fun ink in it that's not a blue or gray.

Noodler's North African Violet is great. Dries quick and doesn't feather on newspaper either!

e: ok it does, a little (had a crossword I had done with it), but it's not super bad at all.

iospace fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 28, 2020

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Chip McFuck posted:

Bungubox Norwegian Wood and Imperial Purple if you want to be a big spender. Monteverde Yosemite Green and R&K Cassia if you don't.

It's my favorite time of the year, figure out what pen(s) I want to buy with my bonus time. A Montegrappa Miya 450 or ASC Gladiatore Medio are looking very tempting right now.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Iroshizuku Yama-Budo is my forever purple. My favorite green is a homebrew - take 1 part Noodler's Apache Sunset to 1 part Noodler's Ottoman Azure.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Does Pilot repair split tines? My VP is really scratchy now.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh no.

Oh no no no. I found that TWSBI makes a piston filler pen that can seal off the fed.

And the nib is easily replaceable.

:ohdear:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

This is my Vac700R with a Nemosine Re-Entry nib. I wish they still made these, they don't seem to be available anymore

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I also love my two Ecos. I'm constantly swapping between the two that I have.

The better question: mini or 700R now :v:

(it'll probably get either 54th Mass or Heart of Darkness. If it's going to be my EDC pen, it has to have some waterproofness, ya know?)

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I can't speak for the Mini but the 700R has been quite the workhorse for me, it's nice and chunky without being heavy and it looks like a magic princess wand

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Does anyone have a recommendation on calligraphy pens- I don't like the dip type, and since using nicer fountain pens, the craft store specials aren't cutting it any longer.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

bulletsponge13 posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation on calligraphy pens- I don't like the dip type, and since using nicer fountain pens, the craft store specials aren't cutting it any longer.

Check out the Pilot Parallel series. They have a weird sort of double plate nib design that works nicely.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Dat Long Diamond

:love:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
What does one of those run in that kind of shape?