Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

FAUXTON posted:

That'd be a gorgeous pen if the cap was just the same material/patten as the body instead of having a goddamn sash weight for a cap

It's actually, no joke, modelled off of a sheet metal piling used for making retainer walls

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palancola
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larssen_sheet_piling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

grack posted:

It's actually, no joke, modelled off of a sheet metal piling used for making retainer walls

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palancola
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larssen_sheet_piling

At least they were never able to make a dramatic marketing video for this travesty

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

grack posted:

Don't know why anyone would expect anything else. Everything lines up, too.

It looks like a very heavy dart.

But don't use it as one or you'll have another very wavy nib to work on :)

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

grack posted:

And of course, the cap screws to post

I really like this civil engineering pen! There should be a whole series. Let's get a truss structure pen, or maybe a tower crane pen.

I don't like it enough to pay what it's worth though.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Tochiazuma posted:

It looks like a very heavy dart.

But don't use it as one or you'll have another very wavy nib to work on :)

Well, I mean, that's one thing. Posted, I can't imagine this pen would land nib-down if dropped.

Meowspergers
May 20, 2019

Ricochet World Champion
Currently borrowing a slightly weird pen (for where I live anyway): an Australian Sheaffer my granddad bought sometime in the 1970's, likely in Hong Kong. I think it's an Imperial 835. It was somewhat dirty and clogged with old ink at first (my dad had never been able to get it to write), but flushing it out with soapy water has restored it to working condition.

The nib, which writes very smoothly and in about a German F, is 14k gold and is curved slightly upwards.

Taken apart:

It's too bad Sheaffer doesn't make pens in this style anymore; I kinda like them.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

Meowspergers posted:

It's too bad Sheaffer doesn't make pens in this style anymore; I kinda like them.

They announced a new Legacy remake last year but I don't think they're actually out yet.

https://appelboom.com/sheaffer-legacy-heritage-matte-black-pvd-chevron-fountain-pen/

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
got me a white twsbi eco with a stub nib today. i like how it writes, but it's slightly broader than the metro's stub and seems to put out more ink. today, i also found out that i'm really sick of how thin and cheap moleskine paper is (has it gotten worse over the years, or is it just me?), and this is the last straw. the reverse side of every page is unusable. is leuchtturm1917 better with bleedthrough? what other options do i have?

my conditions for a notebook:

must be bright red or orange
must be hardcover, lined, and pocket-sized
must have paper that will not bleed as much. a little bit is ok, as long as it's clearly legible

this looks good, but i'm open to other suggestions

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

nishi koichi posted:

got me a white twsbi eco with a stub nib today. i like how it writes, but it's slightly broader than the metro's stub and seems to put out more ink. today, i also found out that i'm really sick of how thin and cheap moleskine paper is (has it gotten worse over the years, or is it just me?), and this is the last straw. the reverse side of every page is unusable. is leuchtturm1917 better with bleedthrough? what other options do i have?

must have paper that will not bleed as much. a little bit is ok, as long as it's clearly legible

They're definitely better than moleskine--I've been using one for a while and haven't gotten any feathering or bleeding through to the back of pages. You might try clairefontaine or rhodia as alternatives that are a bit thicker and smoother, or anything with tomoe river paper, which is very thin but doesn't feather or bleed, though you can see through to the writing on the other side of the page to some degree.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
https://us.dingbats-notebooks.com/collections/a6-portrait-wildlife/products/dingbats-a6-pocket-wildlife-orange-tiger-notebook

I got a purple hippo Dingbats notebook as a gift and I absolutely love it. It's the first notebook I've ever had where I can write on both sides of the page with a fountain pen. Every page opens flat, or gets there after just a second or so. Apparently you can tear pages out, but if you can the perforations are super subtle. Couple different lining styles. Mine came with a dot grid and I love it.

They say their paper is coated with something, I think. [edit] from the website: Our paper? Well, we are the oldest established paper company in Lebanon and the region, we know a thing or two about paper. Each page of 100gsm silk cream acid free fountain-friendly FSC-certified paper is micro-perforated with a total of 96 sheets or 192 pages. And our notebooks open as flat as a pancake.

My cover is a soft pleather.

Comes in orange.

fischtick fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 4, 2021

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

leuchtturm is very, uh, toothy paper that holds up pretty well to any ink you throw at it.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

is rhodia good, too? that and leuchtturm are the ones i've been hearing about, mostly

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Rhodia ranges from fountain pen friendly to merely fountain pen tolerant.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I pretty much exclusively use lined A5 Rhodia notepads for note taking at work. I tend to prefer smoother paper, and that's definitely Rhodia.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Heath posted:

Rhodia ranges from fountain pen friendly to merely fountain pen tolerant.

the type i have in mind is the webnotebook. seems the paper is thicker than the lt1917, too

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Iirc, Rhodia uses the same 80g/sm paper in all their offerings. However, the paper has a coating on it, which is what makes it so smooth to write on, but not every pen/ink combo works well on it and you'll occasionally get skips/hard starts. Now, to be fair, there really isn't one universally good paper when it comes to fountain pens.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

howe_sam posted:

Iirc, Rhodia uses the same 80g/sm paper in all their offerings. However, the paper has a coating on it, which is what makes it so smooth to write on, but not every pen/ink combo works well on it and you'll occasionally get skips/hard starts. Now, to be fair, there really isn't one universally good paper when it comes to fountain pens.

it's 90 gsm, i think they changed it a few years ago

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

So I did not, in fact, recall correctly. The web notebooks use 90 gsm, and their regular notebooks use 80.

Make It Rain
Dec 5, 2007

A blighted worldview.
If this is true, neither 52 or 68 gsm TR paper is being produced anymore:

https://www.wellappointeddesk.com/2021/06/jesi-answers-all-your-questions-about-tomoe-river/

Can anyone attest to Cosmo Air Light as a good replacement? My typical pen is an FPR ultraflex and anti-feathering properties are more important to me than sheen visibility.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

nishi koichi posted:

I'll keep plugging them where I can cause I have good experiences with the paperblank brand of notebooks: https://www.paperblanks.com/en/ . Also I did a comparison for notebooks and fountain pens for drawing where these are considered: https://catropy.com/category/sketchbook-selection/

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

nishi koichi posted:

it's 90 gsm, i think they changed it a few years ago

i have a soft* lined notebook that's 80 gsm and it is very good with bleedthrough. admittedly i don't have a stub but with a twsbi eco broad, you can see that there's writing on the other side, but once you write on the reverse face, the other side blends in with the background and it's still usable. i don't have a webnotebook but i feel like it'd probably be good?

* i have this; https://rhodiapads.com/collections_classic_stapled_A5.php

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

really trying to resist buying up a bunch of tomoe river paper. i think i have another thing of it i haven't even opened yet but what if i can't buy it soon??

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Pineider loving sucks. How in the hell do you manage to over polish a Fine nib?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Dante Delvecchio doesn't believe in quality control.

That being said, the faux arco Pineider's are nice.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I buy *one* non-Delta fountain pen and it's a POS that I need to completely regrind. Universe is clearly telling me something.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

grack posted:

I buy *one* non-Delta fountain pen and it's a POS that I need to completely regrind. Universe is clearly telling me something.

That there are more brands under the sun that need your love, that is what it is telling you.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

grack posted:

The body material is really nice, actually. Very pretty in person

It's the cap that does it, though

And of course, the cap screws to post

this is loving amazing lol

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Ngl I bought 2 tomo notebooks from musubi because I am just so hype for those covers

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

i've been spending more time with the stub eco. it's such a charming pen. that's the word i've been trying to think of: charming. this nib is not as crisp as the metro's stub nib, but it has its own round, cute character to it. the cap isn't particularly heavy, but i still prefer to use the pen unposted. i love seeing the ink slosh around in the barrel, and there's an nice feeling i get after a writing session, where i can see just how much ink i've used. the plastic feels durable, solid. not cheap at all. i'm glad i didn't get the eco-t; the shaped grip would have annoyed me.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Sankis posted:

really trying to resist buying up a bunch of tomoe river paper. i think i have another thing of it i haven't even opened yet but what if i can't buy it soon??

I had a some TR paper and I read the latest news but I'm just taking it as a sign to branch out to different notebooks.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Alder posted:

I had a some TR paper and I read the latest news but I'm just taking it as a sign to branch out to different notebooks.

I read so much about TR I bought a notebook (or two) from Galen and while at it, got a pen case and the tape dispenser. The pen case and the tape dispenser are everything I wanted and more, although I will have to order a second one for my wife if I want to keep my own (the dispenser). The notebook is super, the paper... I don't really get the hype but it is nice I suppose? After yesterday evenings impulse purchase of several sketchbooks from an arts & craft store, I now officially have more notebooks and sketchbooks than I can use up in this lifetime.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

nishi koichi posted:

i've been spending more time with the stub eco. it's such a charming pen. that's the word i've been trying to think of: charming. this nib is not as crisp as the metro's stub nib, but it has its own round, cute character to it. the cap isn't particularly heavy, but i still prefer to use the pen unposted. i love seeing the ink slosh around in the barrel, and there's an nice feeling i get after a writing session, where i can see just how much ink i've used. the plastic feels durable, solid. not cheap at all. i'm glad i didn't get the eco-t; the shaped grip would have annoyed me.

I'm kinda interested - what's the full name of the stub eco?

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

I'm kinda interested - what's the full name of the stub eco?

this guy.

currently have my favorite ink in there, iroshizuku fuyu-syogun

edit, sample. top flight notepad, with surprisingly good paper:

nishi koichi fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 10, 2021

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

nishi koichi posted:

I know this is 10 days ago but Moleskine sucks. Leuchtturm is great. Do it

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

how are fountain pens supposed to be stored? I have a couple metropolitans and a few music pens now, and I'm not really sure whether I'm supposed to store them horizontally or vertically with the nib up

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I was out riding yesterday and thought of Grack

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

how are fountain pens supposed to be stored? I have a couple metropolitans and a few music pens now, and I'm not really sure whether I'm supposed to store them horizontally or vertically with the nib up

Inked or uninked?
Inked nib down else it will dry out and clog up. Do not leave ink in the pen too long anyway if it goes unused, it well clog up either way. Uninked I prefer horizontal in some container but that is just so it fits in the drawer.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Nib up in the pocket, horizontal or nib down if you use it less frequently.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

So I'm looking for a new pen holder and this one pops up:

I think, "Aw, how cute. I wonder if they're available in the US?" A quick google search brings up this:

:stare: Uhhhh... why are they pallbearers? Why are they ALL pallbearers???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Chip McFuck posted:

:stare: Uhhhh... why are they pallbearers? Why are they ALL pallbearers???

It's the meme.