Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I bought Petrol when it came out and loved it- unfortunately I am down to my last refill. I think it’s what started my interest.

I think I may have the ingredients to mix one myself (KWZ Green 4(?), Oster Aussie Gold, Noodler 54th/ Mont Verde Capri Blue/ KWZ Baltic Memories), I may try a mix at some point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

I am a big fan of shin-kai as a blueblack.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

And the saga ends with me returning the duplicate pen and receiving this:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Never open it, pass it down to your descendants as the time you accidentally fought a corporation and won without even trying

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Totally not in the spirit of the thread: The Récife Artis Traveller Monet edition was 50% off at my pen store.
Totally in the spirit in the thread: I bought all four versions they had available, I'd figure they make awesome gifts (haha, who am i kidding)

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Has anyone heard anything from musubi? There haven't been any updates posted for awhile and I still want those notebook covers :ohdear:

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Oh my, there is a Dutch Pen Show on Sunday. Good thing I hate money.
https://www.dutchpenshow.com/

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Wow nice thread here. Way to ruin national ballpoint pen day.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

tater_salad posted:

:wrong:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

tater_salad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwIbMRLYw_o

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

tater_salad posted:

Bold of you to assume we are not also ballpoint nerds

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Uni Jetstream FTW.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

If I have to use a non-fountain pen it's rollerball all the way. Ballpoints have no place in my home :colbert:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
For ballpoints I quite like the Zebra Sarasa 0.4mm (easily the finest writing pen I own, fountain or not) but my go-to is a Pilot Acroball. For rollerballs, the Pilot G2 or uni-ball Deluxe, especially the gold ones, which are very handsome

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Everett False posted:

If I have to use a non-fountain pen it's rollerball all the way. Ballpoints have no place in my home :colbert:

This person gets it

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Is it the ink that makes a ballpoint, or is it the rotating ball at the end? (i.e. is a rollerball a subset of ballpoints)

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Pioneer42 posted:

Is it the ink that makes a ballpoint, or is it the rotating ball at the end? (i.e. is a rollerball a subset of ballpoints)

It's the ink AFAIK. Rollerball ink is water-based, while ballpoint is thicker oil-based. But I don't know for sure. Thanks for listening.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

madmatt112 posted:

It's the ink AFAIK. Rollerball ink is water-based, while ballpoint is thicker oil-based. But I don't know for sure. Thanks for listening.

This is correct

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Jfyi, PenBBS are back open.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Kerbtree posted:

Jfyi, PenBBS are back open.

[url]Link| https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/PENBBSOfficialStore[/url]

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Professor Shark posted:

After my disappointing experience with Air Corps Blue Black I decided to try and find a similar dark teal color.

Robert Oster has one called Velvet Storm that looks like it fits the bill.

Can anyone comment on its quality, similarity to ACBB, or suggest a similar ink?

I'm pretty late to this but Sailor Yama-dori is my favorite teal ink - hell it's one of my favorites in general, it's gorgeous. It's similar to Lamy Petrol which was mentioned earlier, without the downside of being a limited release from 5 years ago. It might be a touch lighter than what you're looking for, but that's my rec.

Here's a nice review for it from Mountain of Ink with some similarly-colored ink swabs for comparison: Sailor Shikiori Yama-dori

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

The pen show was cool, rather cramped and busy and frantic. Only impulse bought two pens, a Narwhal Nautilus and a Voyager. Also some notebooks and a pen stand.

Edit:

Here some crappy pics

Keetron fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 13, 2022

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Here's a pretty pen. It's celluloid and Italian. Very pretty

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
hi there, I was wondering if anyone could help me with these. my uncle who used to run an antique auction house identified these as solid gold either mechanical pencils or fountain pens(can't remember which) from the 1800s. is there anyone here who might know someplace I could investigate further to find out origins, value, etc of this sort of thing?

I realize this might be a little outside the scope of this thread, but I have no clue where to look beyond knowing generally what they are, and I can only assume they're worth something simply because they're made of gold, let alone very old gold antiques.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
You might try one of the various antique or writing utensil subreddits (r/fountainpens, r/mechanicalpencils, r/pens)

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

hi there, I was wondering if anyone could help me with these. my uncle who used to run an antique auction house identified these as solid gold either mechanical pencils or fountain pens(can't remember which) from the 1800s. is there anyone here who might know someplace I could investigate further to find out origins, value, etc of this sort of thing?

I realize this might be a little outside the scope of this thread, but I have no clue where to look beyond knowing generally what they are, and I can only assume they're worth something simply because they're made of gold, let alone very old gold antiques.

They look more like mechanical pencils or dip nib holders than fountain pens. For mechanical pencils you could maybe start looking here: https://leadheadpencils.blogspot.com/?m=0

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

If there's a jeweler near you, you may also be able to take them there to get a sense of the value of gold they contain at the very least.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

I bought three different LAMY Safaris - Medium, Fine, and Extra Fine. All using LAMY cartridges - I can’t tell a difference looking at the lines I’m writing. The charts show a clear difference between EF and F and my own writing I can’t see any difference between EF and M. I have to be using the pens wrong, right? I’ve hundred times checked the nibs, they’re clearly labeled. What am I missing?

E: these are my first real pens, I’m asking to understand what’s going on and in no way criticizing the pens.

Same Great Paste fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 20, 2022

arrowdust
Jan 26, 2015

Modern Lamy nib QC is notoriously spotty. The ink/s you use can affect perceived nib width, however it's much more likely that your observations based on marked nib width are correct. Here is a diagram made by Lamy themselves regarding factory tolerances:

https://www.lamy.com/en/lamy-nib-guide/ (scroll down a teensy bit)

EF looking like M is a bit outside their specifications but ehhh it's Lamy, things happen. Their F looking broader than M (or M finer than F) is almost a meme these days.

That being said, Lamy's aesthetics are top notch. If only their nibs were as good as they used to be.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

Same Great Paste posted:

I bought three different LAMY Safaris - Medium, Fine, and Extra Fine. All using LAMY cartridges - I can’t tell a difference looking at the lines I’m writing. The charts show a clear difference between EF and F and my own writing I can’t see any difference between EF and M. I have to be using the pens wrong, right? I’ve hundred times checked the nibs, they’re clearly labeled. What am I missing?

E: these are my first real pens, I’m asking to understand what’s going on and in no way criticizing the pens.

If the paper you're using is too absorbent (eg cheap notebook paper) it might end up making all your lines look equally thick. You can see if the same thing happens after you change paper. Maybe try writing on some old receipts?

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Thanks for the quick answers! Tried a waxy paper - the medium is definitely thicker than the fine - and yes I had been comparing on notebook paper. The Extra Fine still looks identical to the Medium though. That’s really disappointing. I bought these partly to understand which size Lamy 2000 I’d want. Gross.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Same Great Paste posted:

Thanks for the quick answers! Tried a waxy paper - the medium is definitely thicker than the fine - and yes I had been comparing on notebook paper. The Extra Fine still looks identical to the Medium though. That’s really disappointing. I bought these partly to understand which size Lamy 2000 I’d want. Gross.

The 2000 uses a completely different nib, so it wouldn't be much of a comparison.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I vaguely remember my Fine nib 2000 being slightly broader than either of my Fine nib Safaris but that's basically meaningless too because the Safaris also weren't really close in line width. The 2000 wrote closer to a lot of the Ms I have.

I really wish Lamy didn't use a weird proprietary nib shape/size because I like the aesthetics of a lot of their pens but honestly have kind of hated writing with any of them, the 2000 wasn't bad but just not what I wanted.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Same Great Paste posted:

It won't help. The 2000 uses a different nib than literally every other Lamy currently on the market and they're not comparable.

The quick and dirty answer is buy one nib size finer than you want when you buy a 2000.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

Same Great Paste posted:

eep, this all hurt to read

Same Great Paste, if you are open to trying Asian nibs instead, i can send you some of my "learner's" pens? make the whole thing feel like less of a wash, hopefully, and maybe get you thinking of other brands. realistically i'm never gonna use them now that i have found my favorites, so they were always destined to be given away. for free!

in other news, i think i found my grail pen

i didn't know anyone made bat-themed pens!!!! they are my absolute favorite animal and hell, i dress as a vampire every Halloween, I Have to own this pen one day

Ramie fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 21, 2022

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Make sure you pair it with an appropriately blood like ink? :v:

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

catgirlgenius posted:

Same Great Paste, if you are open to trying Asian nibs instead, i can send you some of my "learner's" pens? make the whole thing feel like less of a wash, hopefully, and maybe get you thinking of other brands. realistically i'm never gonna use them now that i have found my favorites, so they were always destined to be given away. for free!

This is very thoughtful Thank You! I must decline, though. Even with the unexpected sizes the Safaris are going to be more than I need for a while.

Also that bat pen is awesome.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

Xun posted:

Make sure you pair it with an appropriately blood like ink? :v:

Van Dieman's Vampire Bat!
https://www.vandiemansink.com.au/collections/night/products/van-diemans-night-vampire-bat-fountain-pen-ink

i found it while looking for an entirely different ink, seems like a close match to Sailor Ume, which i already have a sample of. hoping that one turns out bloody enough!

on that subject, Van Dieman seems like a neat brand. i'm also looking at Monarca, that Nopal ink...
there's so many kinds of ink! just yesterday i found out Platinum makes Sepia pigmented ink, i'll probably switch to that for my watercolor needs

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Yo so two weeks ago I got a Wonder Pens order and I am loving my fancy new Kaweco Iridescent Pearl Sport.

It writes so nice and smoothly and the pearl effect looks great! I'm just using the supplied cartridge for now but once that's used up I'm going to try cleaning it out and refilling it with something else.

I also got some samples of Shin-Ryoku and Chiku-Rin which I'm excited to try out, as well as Diamine Red Dragon, Honey Burst, and Terracotta (I thought my GF might want to try matching ink to her terracotta red Lamy Safari). I'm trying out the Honey Burst and not gonna lie I'm finding it to be an awfully dry ink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
I've been running Noodler's Heart of Darkness in a Pilot Metropolitan, and I've noticed there's almost always a sticky, gummy feeling to the barrel. I can kinda wipe it off but it comes back really quickly. Am I right in assuming that's something about the Bulletproof-ness of the HoD creeping onto the grip?