Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

I only own a Lamy Safari and an Ahab Noodler and I have to say I'm pretty tired of messing around with the Ahab to try and make it write like the Safari, i.e. without leaking or drying out too fast or being too wet or doing whatever it drat well pleases on any given day

On the other hand, the Ahab smells nice, so there's that. But yeah, I wouldn't buy another one, I just want a pen that works and can put up with my ignorant abuse / impatience. I'd definitely buy another Safari or similar type.

Do love the Noodler ink I bought, though. Problem is I don't use it up fast enough and I want to buy more bottles!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

I came into this thread thinking the only fountain pen options were going to be $100+ beasts and that ink was going to be a few simple choices.

Well. Next thing I'm trying out a $3 pen (not bad, still have it) and buying whole bottles of ink (soooo many choices) plus a $20 pen that has been great. And I'm sure I'll be caving in and buying more stuff in the future...

In short, good thread. Five inky stars!

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

I gotta stop reading this thread because it makes me want to buy more pens and ink and nice paper and I've barely made a dent in the ink I've already bought

oh god I wanna buy another pen and another 3 years worth of ink for it and there's no 12 step program to save me from this

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

And yay free candy from Goulet.

The Metro is heavier than my other pens (Lamy Safari and Noodler Ahab Flex) but I like that.

Also, in case anyone is reading this and wondering 'Will my left handedness be a problem with a fountain pen?' I would answer that I haven't had a problem with dragging my hand through wet ink or anything like that.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Someone at my school liked my Lamy Safari so much they had to take it home with them.

Assholes.

Gives me an excuse to order some extra ink when I get a new one, since shipping costs a bunch no matter what!

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

68k posted:

Question about the Noodler's Ahab:

I've had mine for about a month now. It's a fun pen, and the nib seems to be performing better the more I've used it. However, I have one problem with the pen, and I'm not sure if it's normal or if mine has a defect. A significant amount of ink is constantly ending up in the cap. It's so much that every time I uncap it, I have to use a cloth to wipe down the section or my hand would get inked up pretty badly. It thought that perhaps there was a bad seal between the feed/nib and section (or somewhere). I routinely disassemble the pen completely and wash it, but the problem always comes back within a day or so.

One caveat: I've been attempting to use the pen on a daily basis, which may be part of the problem since I have been carrying it with me in my planner all day at work. I'm constantly on the move at work, which means my planner gets tossed around in my bag often. It may just be that the pen cannot handle that type of activity, although I could sling my Safari around all day and never have any issues at all. Does this sound like a possible defect, or is this pen simply not able to stand up to that kind of use?

I have an Ahab and had exactly the same problems with it. And yeah, the only thing that seemed to solve it was to only use it at home, and not let it get carried around in a bag or such.

My Safari and Pilot Metro will take any abuse I throw at them, however. No leakage no matter how badly I roll them around in a school bag.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Edmond Dantes posted:

I just stepped into a hell of a rabbit hole with that first purchase, didn't I?

I managed to pull up the reins after three pen purchases (Noodler Ahab, Pilot Metropolitan, Lamy Safari), four bottles of ink (but oh god I want to buy more inkkkkkksssss) and a few writing pads since I now have enough writing materials to last me about five years at the rate I use ink. So don't worry, you can still come under the influence of this beautiful, terrible, beautiful thread and still not have to refinance your house.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

At first I thought I had a problem having too much ink (since I only refill a pen about once a week and I have four bottles of the stuff) but now I realize the issue is I just don't write out enough stuff. Yes, that's the ticket! Not enough writing!

(wanna buy more ink)

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Getting hooked on fountain pens thanks to this thread has done nothing for my handwriting but the 'ooohs' when you haul out a fountain pen are very satisfying, even when it's only a $20 metro.

That and I get to pick pretty colours to write in other than the standard pen blue/black/red.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Solkanar512 posted:

I read somewhere that if you want to continue improving your handwriting, the solution is to buy more pens? Has anyone heard differently?

I believe you're also supposed to experiment with different inks and many different fancy paper choices as well.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

My Lamy Safari and my Pilot Metro have both been dropped hard enough to knock the cap off without losing any ink (Noodler's Air Corp Blue-Black in both cases) plus they take a lot of daily abuse as I put them in a backpack going to and from school. No issues with them, and I've used a few other inks in them as well with no problem (Diamine, Iroshizuku).

My Noodler's Ahab leaks all the time unless treated with the tenderest care. And sometimes even then.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

I actually like the smell of an Ahab.

But not the random spewing of ink, or needing to Crazy Glue the converter back on once the threads stripped away.

Come to think of it, why haven't I just tossed this thing? Probably because I only have 3 pens and it's one of them. :(

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Soricidus posted:

I think I can see a possible solution there.

"Great minds think alike", I think it's time to put that TWSBI 700 order in! :)

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

TWSBI 700 on order from Goulet, and might as well get another bottle of ink (De Atramentis Blackberry) as well, since I've used up about 1/10th of a bottle in each of the four I already have! At that rate I'll run out in 10 years, best get some more to be sure!

Normally only computer purchases make me this excited. At least this is a cheaper thrill.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Verdugo posted:

Syringe it into a smaller vial then draw it up into the pen. Super gluing the converter on was a bad idea. The entire pen is designed to be disassembled for cleaning. There are other ways to fix thread issues, with crimping, silicone grease and even Teflon tape which would have made the pen accessible for cleaning.

I tried all three of those methods, none of which solved the problem. So then I superglued it. Guess I'm not the only one.

Which as you say makes a problem for cleaning it but in the end that won't matter for me because I'm so sick of the stupid thing that I'm not going to ink it up anymore.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

hate pants posted:

did you know: that you can buy about 100 bic pens for like 8$ and you don't have to use a quill leather imported stainless steel exxon-66c 95 pen with matching attachments and warranty and $500 per liter squid ink to write notes like Jeffrey Could You Please Stop Drinking All The Milk + Geust Bathroom Needs TP thanks Love The Roomies

also instead of spending money on a computer and an internet connection you can just stand outside and yell out your lovely opinions to an uncaring world for free

this thread is suddenly full of money saving tips

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

hate pants posted:

i'm sure having to routinely clean and inspect and put ink into your expensive (very gay) pens is way more cost effective than buying 900 cheapo pens and swimming in pen paradise. how many of you have spilled bottles of ink on yourselfs? you're dumb

I was going to eat a delicious dinner tonight but then I realized it was more cost effective to have some plain gruel and water. Tomorrow I will donate all my clothing to charity and dress only in burlap sacks* because cost effectiveness is the only standard by which we should live our lives.

*Obviously I first need to head over to the Something Awful Burlap Sack hobby forum to see what thread count I should look for in a burlap sack, plus which countries produce the finest burlap sack material, and washing / care instructions and such.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

kraftwerk singles posted:

This analogy doesn't work because spending money on quality food is a worthwhile investment for anyone but fancy pens are an esoteric hobby for the kind of geeks who like collectables.

Some folks collect stuff for a hobby, others spend their time telling other people their hobbies are stupid as a hobby

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

hate pants posted:

ur right dude! my hobby is scissors. but not like cheap hobby lobby scissors u so-called "normal" people use (lol). i like plated titanium scissors with customized handles and ergonomic blades and sweet rear end insignia burned on so that when i cut my nieces construction paper i dont look gay, or dumb, cause im not, gently caress u u are dumb, u use regular scissors you bought at office max lmao

Why r u using scissors to cut anything instead of something super hetero like a machete or a bowie knife

r u gay or dumb or sumthing

dude

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

Have you guys ever heard the story about NASA spending millions to develop a zero-gravity pen, and the Russians using pencils?

yeah it was bullshit

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Is it fascism yet posted:

my pens is so hard right now

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Stop emptyquoting the funny and just post funny or don't they do that anymore in gibbis/fyad/fyad ii electric boogaloo/whatever they're all the same really now

Or ask/tell about fountain pens. That's an idea, too

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

A Melted Tarp posted:

Which expensive fountain pen is best for endorsing my Best Buy paycheck prior to cashing it at the grocery store?

That entirely depends on what paper they're using for the check, are we talking 75gsm or heavier? Are you concerned about feathering? Improper choices could lead to your signature looking like poo poo. Nothing says 'untrustworthy check kiter' more than poor penmanship.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

A Melted Tarp posted:

Which is the ideal pen for someone who is so delusional they think that spending excessive money on something as utilitarian as a pen makes them superior to others?

I don't know anybody like that so I can't help you there

Oh sorry the answer is a Pilot Metropolitan

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Corridor posted:

guys i've just come into a fair bit of money and i've decided that what i really want/need in life is an expensive status symbol or 'man toy' to fill the howling void in my soul. i would prefer it be something sleek and executive-looking that i can imagine the world's most successful men might have casually lying on their desks. if it fails to bring me lasting joy i may need to buy several. i sure am glad i found this thread!

[posted from my iphone]

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

surc posted:

After oogling through this thread a year ago, I finally got my first fountain pen, a Lamy Safari + converter. I have successfully navigated filling it for the first time, what do I need to do to make sure I don't break it/get ink on everything?

Don't leave it in a pocket and have it go through the wash.

Or fall asleep with it in your hand while making notes from a book and have it unload a full load of ink into your sheets.

Other than that you should be all good! I've bashed my Safari around quite a lot and it still works like a charm!

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Edmond Dantes posted:

Now, up until 5 minutes ago I had the CP1 loaded with Ancient Copper, and while it writes nice enough, it doesn't feel as... smooth or 'flowy' as the other two rather cheaper pens. It's not scratchy or dry, but it just doesn't feel as nice. It skips the tiniest bit from time to time when starting a word.

Anyone have a CP1 or have tried Ancient Copper and noticed something like this?

I had some problems with an Ancient Copper sample leaving gummy 'residue' on my Pilot Metro nib, and I have noticed my Diamine Red (full bottle) causes problems when loaded in my Lamy Safari -- hard starts, etc. This might be more of a problem with how often I use my pens than the inks themselves, but there's my anecdote.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

I have five pens but I only use four,
I don't use them much but yet I still want more,
I should start writing more things down and fill them a lot,
Because then I might actually use up all this ink that I bought.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Jmcrofts posted:

Not sure if this will get me made fun of in this thread, but does anyone have good recommendations for a good ball-point or gel pen? I use G-2's at work but their performance is spotty sometimes and I want something that's more of something nice that I'll keep around and not just chuck when it runs low on ink.

I personally like the Uni-Ball Vision series myself, lots of ink, smooth writing, only cost about $2-ish.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

"Your item is being processed by customs in CANADA at 5:35 pm on January 26, 2015."

aaaaaaaaaagh hurry up I want my Kaweco Sport

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

I really like this Kaweco Sport that I just got, it's adorable and small but when you post it it still looks all super-serious fountain pen-y (I got the white one with gold accents).

My problem now is how to keep four pens in rotation. Maybe I'll assign more homework to my students, so I have more marking! Yes, that's the ticket!

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

tater_salad posted:

So when do the pen related questions get answered?
1. Is normal paper okay or will an fp bleed through?
2. Dry time for normal fp ink? Is it normal or is it long? My plan is to get a cheapo disposable fp then get a metro if I like fps I tend to diagram out a lot of stuff and shuffle papers around quickly after writing is this an issue?

I've had no trouble with any of my pens (Safari, Metro, Kaweco sport, Vac 700) with the copier paper from my school (standard 20lb stuff). It's not as nice to use as more expensive stuff (not as smooth) but no bleedthrough, feathering or any other trouble. I take notes on it all the time. The usual problem I have with cheap lined paper is that I can only use one side because it shows through too much on the other side.

On regular paper I've had no problems with dry times, and I'm left handed.

As for what to get, just go right to the metro. It's still cheap enough that if you find you hate fountain pens you won't be out that much. And trust me, you won't hate it. The problem will be when you go and get hooked on them.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Three days to clear Canadian customs for my latest package from Goulet

come onnnnnnnnn customs you're killing me here I just want to play with my new Monteverde Invincia and try the pretty colours

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

NeurosisHead posted:

Man, I've had pens and pen parts shipped to me in the US from the UK, France, and India, and never had them get stuck in customs. Sorry about your bad luck. :(

Stuff arrived today, in the 3 days they had it customs didn't open the package but they did charge me $10 for 'handling' it plus another $30 GST. Sheesh.

Next time the stuff is going through Parcel Donkey and we'll just nip over the border to pick it up.

The pen is pretty sexy, though!

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

tater_salad posted:

Ontario hu?

Yup, St. Catharines. Trying to save a few bucks and a border crossing, I wound up paying even more. I've learned my lesson for next time.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

tater_salad posted:

There's a man in the middle mailbox place near the outlet mall in nia falls.

Thanks, my wife likes the excuse to do a little cross-border shopping in any case.

The Invincia Deluxe was worth the wait! So smoooooooth. So pretty.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

enzeen posted:

Should I shake my penis that a bad idea? Sometimes if I shake my pen it squirts ink.

Depends on your grip and the quality of your nib

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

My daughter lost (well, left in a classroom and someone took it, same diff) a Kaweco Sport that I gave her and I gave her heck for it but also just got her a pair of Metropolitans for Christmas so I might be a bad or good parent depending on your view

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

shallowj posted:

Guess I'll just go ahead and buy a CON-50. It's 7.50 on Amazon and free shipping with Prime. Is that going to be the best deal? Or should I maybe just buy a whole new pen altogether? What's the next step after a Metropolitan?

Well my next steps were a Vac-700 (nice, but not sure I'm using it enough to justify what I spent on it) and then a Monteverde Invincia Stealth which I looooove

Lamy Safari is also a solid choice.

Of course, one next step after a Metro is... more Metros. That's not a bad idea either.