Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I got myself a Rotring Esprit a couple years ago and have been using it with montblanc cartridges for a while now.

I'm actually quite happy with the writing, although the pen itself feels a bit light on my hands; but lately I've been getting an itch to start trying out some new inks, maybe get my hands on an italic nib.

Problem is, I have no idea when it comes to this, and supplies over here are nearly non-existent so, questions:

If I wanted to get a converter to start saving up on cartridges and trying out some new inks, which one should I get? According to this, it can fit a long international cartridge. Would this one do the trick?

I never tried taking it apart except for unscrewing the body to switch cartridges, but the nib is set on a plastic fitting that looks like it may unscrew, but it has a weird hexagonal "grip" and I don't want to force it. How would I go around to changing the nib? Can I just get any nib and fit it in there, or do I need one with a "base"?

And finally: is it worth it? Or should I just get a nice new pen with an italic nib from the get go, put a converter in there and be done with it?

Thanks, and sorry for the flurry of dumb questions.

/edit: :v:

I'm all up for suggestions on an italic pen in the ~50 bucks range.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Rodney Chops posted:

I got a Lammy 1.5mm and it was way too thick of line for everyday use. I recently ordered a 1.1 and it is much much better. Although I think I still perfer the platnium plumix nib, which seems to be slightly wider then 1.1mm.

Zenostein posted:

Info about Lamys and Pilot

Thanks for the input! I ended up getting a Lamy CP1 with a 1.1 italic nib, I may end up getting a bigger one down the road but it should do for everyday writing. My Rotring is not the telescopic one, so I just grabbed an international standard converter while I was at it.

I may have gotten a few inks as well: Diamine Grape, Noodler's Heart of Darkness and Noodler's Tiananmen :shepspends:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Now I'm starting to feel bad about buying that Lamy CP1 with all those recommendations. :(

I had taken a look at the 580, but something about it being plastic and transparent just set off warning alarms in my head, I kept picturing using it for a month and it transforming into a scratched, ink-stained mess.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Well well, look at what just arrived.

The Preppy pen came with the Heart of Darkness ink, I had gotten an extra converter but it doesn't seem to fit quite as snugly as I'd like, so it kind of moves up and down the pen when I close it.

I haven't gotten around to trying the Lamy yet, I'll probably do it later today.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

A Dirty Sock posted:

You can use the Preppy without a converter since Noodler gives you a silicon o-ring. Fill the bottom with ink and you're good to go.

Oh, awesome, that did the trick. Now I have a different pen for each one of my inks. :getin:

/edit: wow, it feels really weird having the ink sloshing about the insides of the pen without a cartridge.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 25, 2013

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

GabrielAisling posted:

Any recommendations for a nice dark purple ink?

Diamine Grape is really nice, though I haven't used it extensively yet.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

GrAviTy84 posted:

oooooo samples :getin:

welp...

I demand a review of Oxblood and Red Dragon when you get your hands on them, I ended up getting Tiananmen but Red Dragon may very well be the next one I get my hands on.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

GrAviTy84 posted:

I can try, but this is my first experience. It will likely be not much more than "Gee this one is pretty...oooo this one is pretty, too!"

Hah, same with me. Gouletpens sent me an email asking me to review my purchases, and I have no loving clue what to say about the inks, and "writes pretty" doesn't quite cut it.

Duro posted:

I have Oxblood inked up somewhere, but it's in a pen with a pretty fine nib. I might have Red Dragon as well in a sample pack, I'd have to check. My designated "red" pen needs a new inking, so if the previous poster can't come through, there is a chance that I can

That'd be awesome, cheers.

SnakesRevenge posted:

I forgot about this. I absolutely love Oxblood. It's a gorgeous color, and a very similar shade to Tiananmen - only without the insane dry times I experienced when I was trying out my Tiananmen sample. Honestly my biggest problem with Oxblood is that it's such a perfect ink for my burgundy Metal Falcon that I really have trouble filling it with anything else.

Huh, I didn't notice the drying time, to be honest. I'm used to letting ink dry as a general rule (technical drawing taught me that, you learn fast when you gently caress up 2 hours worth of work because you smudged something at the last minute).

I did notice a bit of feathering (if that's how you call it when you write something and the ink kinda of seeps into the paper and "bleeds out"), but that's probably because I've been writing in crap paper (or very thin, like a moleskine)

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I just stepped into a hell of a rabbit hole with that first purchase, didn't I?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Haha, with the rabbit hole bit I meant how you can just start digging and suddenly your knowledge goes from "Writes" and "writes a bit nicer" when trying out a fountain pen to talking (or at least kind of knowing) about ink materials and qualities, different nibs and what they do, and caring about the paper you write on.

I'm quite happy with my (few) purchases so far, and I'm actually looking for more excuses to write since I never do it at work and only seldom at college (graphical design, it's all pens here), so ink is going to last me forever.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Those Iroshizuku bottles are pure sex.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
The Lamy CP1 is small, thin but quite hefty for its size. I'm loving it so far.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
On the subject of paper, I've gathered that Rhodia webnotebooks are the go-to option for ink-friendly paper? I have a small moleskine notebook but it bleeds through with Noodler's Tiananmen (but no so much with Diamine Grape, though, but tiananmen is kinda my main ink for now); the beedthrough is not MASSIVE, but the paper is kinda thin and see-through even with a ballpen, and I wanted to start making a recipe notebook and I want it to look PRETTY. :colbert:

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 23, 2013

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Huh. I fiddled a bit more with the different inks and another moleskine I have (in this case a sketchbook, so it's more suited to pencils, but eh, I'm bored); Heart of Darkness and Diamine Grape work like a charm, very little feathering with HoD and none that I can see with Grape, and no bleedthrough with either.

It's kinda crap with Tienanmen though, it feels like I'm trying to write on plastic, I feel like the ink is not flowing into the paper, if that makes any sense... like when you try to write with an empty pen.

I do have the inks loaded on different pens with different nib styles (fine/medium/1.1 stub respectively), so I'm not sure if the nib is causing this or the ink though.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 23, 2013

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
So, I'm quite happy with my Lamy CP1, but I want to get another itallic pen; should I go for the Safari, or the Metropolitan and switch nibs with a Plumix? I was thinking the Safari, but I'm open tu suggestions.

Thanks.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

SnakesRevenge posted:

I prefer the Metro personally, but the Lamy will give you more width options for their stub nibs (the Plumix nib is ~1mm).

Ah, ok. I have the 1.1 on the CP1 so it would be about the same, as a few folks in the thread mentioned the 1.5 is a bit wide for everyday writing.

But then I saw the new Metropolitan models, and now I kinda want this one:

:allears:

All models here:
http://www.inknouveau.com/2013/09/new-animal-print-pilot-metropolitan.html

/edit: They're already listed over at gouletpens, but as "out of stock".
Availability: Expected to arrive in October/November 2013.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 26, 2013

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Has anyone had the chance to try out both Diamine Syrah and Noodler's Tiananmen? I was trying to decide between Ancient Copper and Syrah, but after watching a video review for Syrah, it looks like it's quite similar to Tiananmen (which I already have), only a wee bit darker, which would make it a bit silly.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 27, 2013

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

lady flash posted:

Here's the comparison of Syrah and Tiananmen that you requested.

Thanks for taking the time to do that, it really helped see the difference.

Duro posted:

I've used Syrah, and it really does look like wine on the paper. I can't compare it to Tiananmen though

Yeah, it does seem to be quite different than what I gathered from the swabs at the page... I did compare them from my work computer though, and something tells me they're not color-calibrated.

I talked to a friend of mine who's going to be bringing me some stuff over from the states, and I'll probably end up buying Syrah and Ancient Copper... And another pen. Ink for the Ink God! :black101:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

SnakesRevenge posted:

You'll be just like us soooon!

Fountain pens: Not even once.

The Pilot Metropolitan is a gateway pen.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Bloody hell, I just placed an order last week.

Oh well, it wouldn't have arrived in time anyway. Take advantage, guys!

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Gonna make your pen match your guitar? :v:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Just got my Safari, 2 new inks (Diamine Syrah is gorgeous), and some rhodia and clairefontaine notebooks. The paper is really nice in the rhodia pads, the ink just glides on them. :allears:

Quick question, I currently have two lamy pens, the Safari with a 1.5 itallic nib, and the CP1 which has a 1.1 itallic nib. I think I'd like to leave the Safari as an "everyday pen", and the CP1 for doing fancy stuff, can I just switch the nibs between them?

/edit: Welp, my question's been answered!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vtvwzv_6tWM

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 14, 2013

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
That looks like the platinum preppy that came with my noodlers heat of darkness, you just unscrew it. You sure it just isn't stuck?

/edit: yeah, I'm pretty sure, you can even see the threads in the middle.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

daggerdragon posted:

I gave it to the fiance, he yanked on it for a bit and then it came right off with a wet squelch. :argh: Apparently I was too afraid of breaking the thing and spewing ink

Hahaha, a friend of mine always says she keeps her husband around just for his can-opening prowess.

Speaking of preppys, mine kinda... leaks from the nib. It starts out alright, and after a minute of writing it starts gathering more and more ink on the nib until it drips. I know it's an eye dropper pen, but that's a bit ridiculous. Anything I should check? I don't user it much, but it's the "black pen" while the other ones have the fabulous colours.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Vitamins posted:

Blood inks really are the best. Diamine Red Dragon is my favourite, it comes out almost scarlet and dries a very deep red. Perfect for signing (non-legal) documents.
I should really get an ultrasonic cleaner, would really help getting dried ink out of my pens. Where did you get yours from?

That could be a loose nib/feed, make sure it's pushed as far into the section as possible.

Also, if its an eyedropper, you should really keep the ink topped up more than half full as the heat from your hand will make the air inside the pen expand and push ink out. Sounds like it could be what's happening with yours based on the time when it happens!

It IS an eyedropper, I would have never thought of the air... I'll check the feed/nib just in case, but I never topped it because I'm still terrified it's going to break and spill black ink EVERYWHERE.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Tulip posted:

Soliciting purchasing advice.

I've got a Lamy Safari with a 1.9mm italic nib, and it's fantastic, i love it. It's also not super great for day to day use, because it's a 1.9mm italic. The weight is great but the grip isn't quite perfect for my hands (it's more or less the right size but my index finger is bent so i wind up twisting if i try to use the griplines 'properly'). How much does this inform my choices for what i should buy as a day to day pen?

Just a heads up, I have a Safari with a 1.5 nib and it's still a bit big for everyday use. If you are thinking about a smaller nib, but still italic, I'd go for the 1.1; I have it on a Lamy CP1, which is fantastic, but quite different grip-wise from the Safari so I'm not sure if it's your cup of tea.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I need something with a rather wide nib in a short notice for a class so, sadly, having something shipped from Goulet is out of the question.

My only choice right now, from what I can get locally, seems to be a Rotring Art Pen with a 2.3mm italic nib. Any input on these?

Also, I currently have a Rotring fountain pen fitted with an international converter; it should work on the Art Pen, right?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

pienipple posted:

Sheaffer Viewpoints can be had in 1.1, 1.5, and 1.8 mm italic sizes from Staples and Michaels'. They're ok, I use a 1.8 one at work a lot. $5-7, comes with two cartridges. Cheap stop-gap if you want to order something nicer in the meantime.

If you wanted to use it with bottled ink the cheapest I've seen the converters is $8 from isellpens.com. Take the rubber grippy off before filling or ink gets under it and stains your fingers.

Sorry, I should have clarified. I need at least a 2mm nib, I have two Lamy pens (CP1 and Safari) I can get a 1.9mm italic nib for over here (Argentina, so no big stores, and the Staples here doesn't carry Shaffer, I just chcked), which I really doubt my teachers will be able to tell from a 2mm, but I wanted to go a bit broader. I would get a Pilot Parallel Pen 2.4, but they're impossible to get.

If the converter I already have works for the Art Pen (and they don't suck), it would be perfect.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Hellbeard posted:

Rotring Art Pen should be just fine I think. Right now they're owned by Rubbermaid/Sanford which are solid stationery brands and I believe the Art-Pen was designed before they were bought. I think a standard converter should fit. I had one many years ago and it was pretty sweet.

Edit: *were

I got the Art Pen, the international converter worked like a charm.

I am running into a bit of an issue though. I filled it up with Diamine Syrah, and I'm having trouble when starting strokes. Once it gets going it works fine, but the first stroke in a letter tends to not start when I set the pen down. Anything I should try regarding the feed? Maybe try to clean the nib? Or will it just settle on its own after a bit of writing? It is the first fill after all.

Cheers

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

pienipple posted:

I found Syrah to write well but be a finicky starter in a standard nib pen.

Flush it out with water and a drop of dish soap, rinse with clean water, and try inking it again. If it's still finicky starting try a less saturated ink.

I cleaned it and refilled it with Heart of Darkness. I could have sworn I remembered it being blacker than it is. Maybe I had a bit of leftover water in the feed or maybe it looks lighter when using it with a wide nib, it looks darker on the preppy I have it in.

Will keep testing out stuff and reporting back, if anyone's interested. I still have 2 or 3 different inks to go through.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I had a few questions while I run some tests on my pens.

So, I currently have4 pens:
Lamy CP1 - 1.1 italic nib
Lamy Safari - 1.5 italic nib
Platinum Preppy (the one that comes with Noodler's HoD) which has a... I think it's an EF nib?
And a rather old el cheapo Rotring with a medium.

I have the preppy loaded with HoD and it writes really well, the ink flows smoothly and evenly.
The Rotring has Diamine Grape in it, writes as well as the preppy (feels a bit wetter), but has a habit of drying rather fast so I have to dip it in warm water for a second if I leave it to sit for a while without writing (which is normal, I think).

Now, up until 5 minutes ago I had the CP1 loaded with Ancient Copper, and while it writes nice enough, it doesn't feel as... smooth or 'flowy' as the other two rather cheaper pens. It's not scratchy or dry, but it just doesn't feel as nice. It skips the tiniest bit from time to time when starting a word.

So, my question is: what could be causing this? I'm loading the CP1 with Diamine Grape first thing in the morning and writing a bit to see how it goes, but could be there so much of a difference just because of the ink? Do italic nibs write different (other than the width) than regular nibs? Could something be weird with my feed?
Anyone have a CP1 or have tried Ancient Copper and noticed something like this?

Haven't really used the Safari a lot, the 1.5 italic was a bit wide for everyday use so I'm waiting to get a EF replacement nib for it in a bit.

Thanks, and sorry if the questions are a bit all over the place, it's kinda hard to put into words.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

pienipple posted:

I liked the color of Diamine Syrah but decided not to get it because my sample was so skippy in my Metro.

So there's two people who also had problems with Diamine being on the gummy side, at least the red-based ones.

Maybe try transferring some of the Ancient Copper to a sample vial and adding a few drops of distilled water? Might flow more reliably.

I switched the ink in my CP1 (with the 1.1 italic nib) for Diamine Grape, and it works like a charm now. I thought it may have to do with the nib itself, so I gave Ancient Copper a try in my Safari which has a 1.5, and it does flow a bit better, but not as well as Grape does.
I don't mean that it's unusable by any stretch, but if I use it at my regular writing speed I end up with a bit of skipping in some strokes.

I have Syrah as well, but I only used that one on a Pilot Art Pen I have, where I had a few issues with dry starts (I think I mentioned it before in the thread and someone piped in saying they had the same issues), so you may be onto something there.

A shame, because I love Ancient Copper and I'd love to use it as a daily writer, but it's like I have to sit down and take a bit of extra time for it to write as I like, which isn't bad in itself since I write prettier that way, but it doesn't seem to be lending itself well to scratching messages on the go or taking notes in class.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Speaking of stationary, I have a couple A6 moleskine notebooks, but they don't get along that well with fountain pens, I get a bit of bleedthrough even with the platinum preppy, which is the finest nib I have.

A few months ago I got a couple of A5 Clairefontaine clothbound notebooks, which are a step up; I still get a wee bit of seethrough but the ink does not go through the page like in the moelskine.

They do have A6 versions of those, but I was wondering if you guys have any other "hands on" recommendations (especially since those don't come in blank or dotted, just lined).

The Apica ones look really nice, I've always heard good things about Field Notes, but I was browsing Goluetpens and there's just a fuckload of options. I'm looking for a side-bound, A6 size, basically something to stick in a pocket or carry around in my bag.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I had exactly the same issue with HoD, and keeping it filled up solved the blob issue, but it's not a pen I'd carry around; I usually just keep it on my pencil case on my desk and reach for it if I don't have any of the other pens around. It writes well enough for a free pen, I guess.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Oh, I didn't mean the ink itself was causing the issues, I was just echoing shallowj's issues with the preppy that came free with HoD. I've never actually used the pen with another ink, to be honest, as it'd be a bitch to fill without an eyedropper and it carries so much ink that I won't need refilling it for about 5 more years.
On re-reading my post, though, it does read like I'm complaining about the ink, so sorry about the mixup. :v:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Mother of God, that's pen porn right there.

The beak looks like the Falcon alright. Speaking of, does anyone here have/has used the Falcon? It's caught my eye lately and I think it'll be my next purchase, because look at that. :allears:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I would have no bloody clue as to where to take something like that in order to have it customized for "extra flex"; is it too different out of the box?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Oh, I wasn't planning on going for a custom nib from the start, I'm certain that if I tried imitating that video the pen would somehow end up lodged in my eye or something.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Random musing after my last purchase from Goulet:

God drat the Metropolitan is nice. I got two as gifts for friends of mine; was about to get one for myself but decided against it since I have a couple Lamy already, so I just got an M nib for my Safari (which it's just a bit broader than I was expecting, I made the mistake of judging against a Rotring F and forgot Japanese nibs run a bit thinner), and I was not expecting them to feel this good. Haven't taken them for a test ride since they're not mine, but I'll do it as soon as one of my friends ink hers up.

I was going to get a rose gold TWSBI 580 as my next pen, but I guess I'll just have to add one of these to the cart. Totally getting the violet leopard, I got that one for my friend and it's fabulous :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Two quick questions: how do TWSBI nibs run compared to Lamys? I want to get a 580; I feel my Lamy medium nib runs a tiny bit on the broad side for me, but I don't want to get a 580 fine to realize it's two 'sizes' smaller than the Lamy.

And second: does the gold rose 580 come in 1.1 italic? It's not in Gouletpens, but I don't know if it's because they don't stock it or if the 1.1 just doesn't come gold plated, and it seems a bit of a shame getting a rose gold to swap the nib for a steel one.

Thanks!