Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I got an Ahab as a gift last year and I think it's fine, but I feel like the nib could use a bit of smoothing (steel flex nib is kind of blah). Has a good enough hand feel, but if someone's dead set at not buying a Noodler's thing, then, uh...

Nibs.com has the LE 2015 Vanishing Point for 240. Christmas gift for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Which one was the one where he lights paper on fire again? Or does that happen in more than one video?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Does anybody have any tips for cleaning fountain pens using an ultrasonic cleaner? I have a variety of pens that need some deep cleaning from old BCHR pens to newer resin pens like TWSBIs and the like; would be interested to know if I should be wary of anything and/or if any specific fluid mixes are ideal for cleaning (I've read that adding a drop of unscented ammonia works well but only in some cases, as well as using distilled water, etc).

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

grack posted:

I got my Delta Hawa'ii today (had to pick it up at the post office).

It is very, very, very, very, very pretty. Very pretty.

drat, please share pics of that! That's a fine looking pen by any standard.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Worth the picture though. Do you plan on having it be a display piece or a writer that you'll keep in your rotation?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Anybody who uses the Hobonichi Techo - worth a buy, or overhyped? I'm curious to hear thoughts on it since there's a lot of attractive covers out there for em.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

rio posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on the Falcon being a flex pen?

cobalt impurity posted:

There are a couple of really popular youtube videos out there of a Falcon that's had its nib ground to add in way more flex. It seems to give a lot of people the wrong impression about the pen, but it's something you could have done to yours if you want to.

You're referring to John Mottishaw's Spencerian ground modification for the Falcon nib - this is probably the most famous of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRebkWHsHC0

In general, if you want to get some supreme flex then go vintage or consider getting that nib reground by a nibmeister for more flexibility. You'll have to email about getting the nib reground and you'll need to send the pen in, I believe, so they can do it, but it's available should you wish to pursue it.

By way of example, I use a Falcon nib in my Custom 912 and it serves me quite adequately for flex purposes in daily writing. If I want to go really nuts with flex I have an early Waterman 1903 with an Ideal #2 nib. The price of acquisition was roughly the same as the 912 from a private seller.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

grack posted:

Also the nib in the Falcon and the FA nib available for the 912 and 742 are completely different.

Did not know this!

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
In July I'll be heading to Brazil for a month on business, but I'll have plenty of time to explore. I heard that there is a bit of a revival going on there for fountain pens - Montblanc seems to be the most popular. Anything I should keep an eye out for when I'm there? I'll be in Sao Paulo and Porto Alegre for a few weeks each respectively.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Does anybody have any recommendations for a fountain pen with clip that is mini-sized? I'm thinking TWSBI Mini or some such to go with a Midori TN Passport.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

atholbrose posted:

The Kaweco Sport has an optional clip-on clip that works quite well.

Good enough for me (for now). I picked up a Kaweco Sport + a clip + cartridges. We'll see how that fares for a daily writer.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

grack posted:

Today is a good day. Today is a red letter day.

Today, I finally finish my Rainbow of Deltas.

(Not a great pic, I know)

nice

e: sorry, I mean:

aldantefax fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 31, 2020

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Shellception posted:

Nib has a pentagon logo, which Google tells me it's the mark of Namiki pens. A Namiki Yukari maybe? (drat those pens are really expensive :eek:)

https://www.nibs.com/pens/namiki/namiki-emperor-vermilion-urushi

Could be this one but you can get urushi in that color on other pens in the namiki line

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
the iconic french italian pens are montgrappa and montblanc, aren’t they? maybe one of those just like how the sailor king of pen features as the default important pen for important people in japan

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

howe_sam posted:

looks a little Parker'ish maybe?

Montegrappa's Italian and Montblanc is German.

whoops re: mont blanc

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I like blue-blacks and green-blues and blue-greens. My favorite inks have been the Pilot Iroshizuku and Sailor Jentle (RIP) lines and I guess that makes me a gigantic ink weeb. They're just very agreeable though.

For like the basic "flows real good and is a pretty dang nice ink" Noodler's black just does fine. Bernanke Blue-Black was also pretty dope.

I was rather unimpressed with the sparkly-grit inks like Stormy Grey but I forgot who made 'em.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Please do not forget to mention that the Kakuno has the cutest nib on this planet.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

bulletsponge13 posted:

Needs to mount to a belt. I don't like keeping them in pants pockets, and I don't always have provisions to carry in my shirt pocket.

can you mount this to a codpiece or a belt buckle

also: amazon says "Raine Tactical Gear - Tactical Pen - Raine Pencil Holder - Military Pencil Pouch - Tactical Pencil Pouch - Pen Pouch - Tactical Pen and Pencil Holder", so maybe this is your jam

e: Maxpedition actually does have some decent belt mount pouches and such that you can stash pens into or any other "ready access marking devices"

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
If you are being very picky then I think bespoke is the way to go. Nothing wrong with that

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
If I'm 34, am I too old for a Sailor Young Profit, and now I need to buy a King of Pen instead??

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Hmmmmmm.

You drive a convincing argument...

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Pixelante posted:

It's cute that you think 10 is a lot of pens.

new thread title

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Noodler's Ahab is a beast. Swap the nib if you like but if you add some o rings and grease you can fill the inside instead of using a converter and it holds an embarrassingly large amount of ink.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
They remind me of the Faber Castell LOOM which was one of my very first fountain pens in terms of shape and machining. Never tried Karas but I would imagine based on the way they have their site setup that they are chunky writers (i know this is basically zero help)

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Pen-ists, I need some stationery advice. I'm looking for some bulk dot grid notebooks that are not too much in page count but can lay flat and can take a variety of mediums well. Page numbers optional, I'd prefer to keep things minimal. Essentially, I'll be adding notes regarding dumb elfgame stuff for each game I'm currently running and have it be its own "book of secrets and notes" so it may have things like maps, drawings, tables and other things where a grid would be useful, as well as musings and ideas.

I figure that something a little bit chunkier in page count than Field Notes but something that can lay flat (so Moleskines and perfect-bound stuff like Clairefontaine and Rhodia are out) so I'm thinking a bigger staple-bound notebook or possibly spiral, though I suspect these notebooks will get banged around a lot and generally not well taken care of since they will be kicking around in bags, have all manner of cheeto dust and coffee stains attracted to it, as well as probably stickers and stuff placed into it. A5 is probably the largest I'll want to go.

Any suggestions? The normal writers for that book will likely be a Pilot 912, Pilot G2, or a mechanical pencil and possibly some coloring material like colored pencils for certain pages.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I do have one of those lying around (the Maruman Mnemosyne line) and I do like 'em but for some reason I got one that was more for doing diagrams or storyboards with annotated notes, so good reminder that there is one that is just dot grid!

I haven't used any of Goulet's house brand stuff but I have used Tomoe River stuff plenty of times before. I heard that they might have changed their production processes in the past grip of years and they might not be as good as they used to be?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Keetron posted:

How hard is the "dot grid" requirement?

Would prefer it vs. line. Square grid also OK as long as it is subtle. Don't want to use blank.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

grack posted:

Progress is being made

So I see someone was trying to make their own Sailor Naginata nib?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
In somewhat sad news, Nock is shuttering their operations and has earmarked all remaining inventory for 50% off clearance. They had a great run from the Kickstarter era to current but they cited in their last announcement time and money aren't working out for them. If you've been looking for some nice pen storage, I have a few of their things and can vouch well for them, including their notebook covers. As they say, get 'em while they're hot.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
In other news, I see that Bullet Journal v2.0 is starting to make the rounds, which, are people in on that jam? I feel like a lot of folks have ended up getting into higher-end stationery and fountain pens specifically as a result of being introduced to Leuchtturms etc. via Ryder and co.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
There are some additional shorthand markers to make drawing specific line lengths easier that appear to be baked into the page layouts to more rapidly set up pages for various things, kind of like how the Hobonichi Techo has little extra dots to help with page guides. I couldn't see much of a difference otherwise but I might pick one up because why not.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Just mix the bin with water after getting everything it and use it as a giant inkwell for a giant pen. I bet a Noodler Ahab that’s been modified to an eyedropper can get filled with one of those tubs but only just barely.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I think I'd like a Raden. Any suggestions on which?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

gschmidl posted:

Pilot Capless Raden Stripe?

Toss up between that or the Galaxy Raden that is also made by Pilot. Their Vanishing Point line is fine but runs out of ink quickly.

I also might go a little crazy and buy a Nakaya Decapod Raden instead? I dunno, they all are pretty neat and very fancy.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

grack posted:

I strongly support any and all financially crippling fountain pen purchases.

new thread title

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

howe_sam posted:

If I had infinite money I'd buy a Pelikan M1000 Raden for sure.

You know, to this day I haven’t handled any Pelikans, certainly not a Souveran. Nibs.com does have pretty tasty pictures of that pen though.

A lot of the folks in the SF Bay Area pen posse were absolute fiends in collecting Nakaya pens. Leigh Reyes, who may still post calligraphy music video things on Youtube from time to time, visited from the Phillipines many years ago and I got the chance to check out a Romillopen for the first time.

Basically think of an entire gaggle of gracks. I miss those folks!

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

iospace posted:

Funny way of spelling TWSBI.

The modified feed I had in my VAC700 disintegrated and I was sad about that. I don't know what I did with that pen but it had an Eversharp Symphony nib in it. That pen was pretty sweet.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

poo poo.

I have to go buy one now, don't I?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I have come into possession of a bolt action pen from THIS VERY THREAD. I do agree that it can be too heavy for extended use because it's a machined metal barrel but it's quite nice to hold in the hand because they kept the machining marks on the barrel intentionally. I may end up buying another one direct because I see they have shorties and mini barrel shapes as well as a fireblue titanium button for the bolt, plus they're in Texas so I can get it quickly.

I'm looking for a wire bound notebook that I can use as a guestbook at a well-trafficked tea house. I was thinking of the Rhodia reverse book line because they have square detachable pages, dot grid, and are decently priced. I like the square shape and wire binding which make for a very elegant package, and having people write out their names and such is both fun and useful (though probably might need to buy some cheap pens to be constantly recycling through for touchy-germy purposes).

I also thought it might be nice to use something like that to add various thoughts to and doodles and such for people to have a community artifact. I always quite liked seeing guestbooks with warm wishes at places like bed and breakfasts and such so I think it might be a nice touch to add!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Cheap for a reason…