Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
Any good very fine fountain pens? I got a Lamy Safari with an EF nib and that isn't very fine. My metro medium nib is finer than that.

I also have a hero 616 and 266. The 616 is very fine but feels cheap and drops ink if you shake too hard by accident. The 266 puts down too much ink when writing and isn't that fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
cool I grabbed a penmanship and hero 9296. Hoping they are good.

Vanishing point does look good too but that's too much for me at this time.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
Got my hero 9296 today and it is quite a step up from the hero 266. It's about as fine as the hero 616 but doesn't drip when shaken and feels heavier and thinner. There is some ink pooling around the hood of the section but hasn't been an issue so far. My new favorite pen despite being a tiny bit scratchy. Much finer than the EF Lamy safari.... Why is the Lamy nib so much wider than other brands?

Looking forwards to getting the EF nib from a pilot penmanship. Curious how thin that writes since M nib on the metro is pretty fine already and is smooth as hell.

I wish I could use inks other than black (I use noodler's bulletproof) but my hospital doesn't allow it so bummer.

I might need to get a platinum preppy XF since it's cheap. Also arghh converters are expensive.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
I like noodler's bulletproof but I'm finding it a bit too wet. I also don't always have the choice of paper I would like to write on. Is heart of darkness good? What are other good quick drying black inks? I guess it can be whatever shade of black as long as it's black.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
I have a hero 616. It is quite leaky at the tip and seams. Is this just the Hero 616 or is this issue also a problem with the Parker 51? I had an embarrassing moment with ink on my hands before seeing a patient today... I might consider getting a real Parker 51 if they are less problematic than the heros.

I also use noodler's bulletproof black which I do see also gets pretty drippy in my hero 9296. Do other inks behave differently in terms of drippiness?

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

grack posted:

Try diluting your Noodler's with 3:1 ink to water and see if that helps. Noodler's puts a lot of surfactants in their inks to improve flow, but with some pens it can be too much. Adding water back increases the surface tension and makes the ink less "drippy".

As for your 616, well, it's a $2 pen. Sometimes you just have to expect some issues.

Yeah I'll try out the 3:1 trick.

Soylent Yellow posted:

There's a reason Hero sell 616s in packs of 10. That's the minimum number you need to buy in order to guarantee getting a decent pen. I've been messing around with a few different Hero pens recently, and the 9296 is the only consistently reliable one I've found. Still, I did recently follow the advice in the thread name and order a Pilot Metro. It arrived this morning along with a Pilot Penmanship EF. One quick nib change later, and I'm very happy indeed. It writes smoother, finer, and sits much better in the hand. Get one.

Yeah I do have a metro with an EF nib and it's pretty fantastic.

So is the parker 51 similar in that it leaks a lot here and there like the 616? Or is it just the noodler ink I'm using? I'm just considering to get a parker 51 since I do like the style of it and the 616 feels a bit too cheap to me.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
Anything wrong with the Parker 51 demi version? All I can see about it is that it has slightly smaller dimensions and is meant for women whatever that means.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
So my sister has been helping me out with a ton of things lately and I was thinking of getting her a nice, no hassle fountain pen. I'm not sure about nib size but since she's had no experience with them I'm guessing medium would be a good place to start? I know a metro is great and all but I want to get her something a bit nicer. Lamy's are nice (I like my charcoal safari despite it's huge rear end EF nib...) but don't look that aesthetically pleasing to me due to being more overbuilt like german things are. I did see the vanishing point which would be good for quickly writing a note here and there (I do want one myself) but I'm worried that is a bit too much maintenance and could be somewhat problematic.

How do you guys go about buying gift pens for people?

Also I'm thinking of getting a journal/journal paper. Something that I can add paper to whenever I want so I don't have to worry about making a new volume. Any suggestions? I've seen the midori traveler's notebook but was curious if there are other options.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
Cool I may consider getting a vanishing point and metro for her. She likes purple so any good recommendations for purple inks? Does noodler black work well with it? Fine or Medium nib?

I don't know how much she writes in a day but if it's anything like me it might not be pages and pages (it takes me a few days to finish up a metro converter). CON-20?

Any recommendations for journal paper (this is more for me)? Wanting something I can add paper to here and there.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
So I got a parker 51 and unfortunately I didn't ask if it were a gold nib or not before I bid on it... Oh well.

Anything I should watch out for because I have the feeling I have to restore this on my own. I am not sure how good the internals are.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
So I found out that my dad might have a Parker pen of some sort when he traveled to the US to study. I think this was in the 60s. I'm assuming he hasn't used it and it has a gold top...

My question is, what is a good ink for vintage pens? I don't want to mess up some good pens with bad ink.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
I am thinking of getting the deep red wood vanishing point at some point and apparently it doesn't have an EF nib. Is there a major difference between EF and F or would I be fine with F only? How does it compare to the EF of a penmanship? It is a bit ridiculous to pay 60 bucks for an extra nib.

Also any recommendations on the TBWSI pens? Are they all similar in mechanism but different capacities?

GoldenNugget fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 30, 2015

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
I think I'm going to get rid of my chinese pens. They all seem to leak or have tiny bits of ink drop here and there no matter what I do, even with the simplest action of opening the cap. Got a few drops of sailor sei boku on my nice clothes.

I'm getting a nemosine fission soon with a 0.6mm stub. Hoping stubs are pretty awesome and that its a decent pen.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
My dad happened to have an old parker 61. It has the capillary filler and it appears pink so it appears to be new afaik.

Also what is this Pierre Cardin pen? How do I readjust the nib since it appears misaligned? Does it take cartridges only?

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
Thanks the Parker 61 does work. I filled it with Sailor Sei-Boku and it writes pretty well. Lightly but that's probably due to it being very fine.

I'll get a converter for the Pierre Cardin and readjust the nib.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
I'm thinking of getting a Sheaffer tuckaway. Anything I should know about before I start bidding? I'm seeing them around 50-100 bucks.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
Thanks for the advice. I really like the form factor and nib on the tuckaway but the maintenance seems a bit too much :(. Maybe I'll just go ahead and get that red wood vanishing point I'm thinking of getting.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
So I'm trying to see how I get go about getting a stub nib for a vanishing point.

My current dilemma is that I want to get a wood vanishing point on ebay and it seems like they are only in EF, F, and M. I sent an e-mail to the Indy-Pen-Dance people who apparently trained under Richard Binder who is known for doing VP nibs but retired. They said that if I wanted a 0.6mm I would have to get a broad nib, which isn't available for the wood vanishing point that I want to get on ebay. In addition I would have to send the body of the pen with the nib.

1) Is a 0.6mm stub a good size? I am worried about capacity issues. I do have a 0.6mm nemosine which is a good writer but uses a lot of ink. Is 0.6mm practical for a VP or should I go smaller, something like 0.4-0.5mm?

2) Is it really necessary to send the body of the pen with the nib? They said something about alignment issues. Or should I just buy a preground nib and have two nibs?

edit:
I decided to get the M nib vanishing point. I figure 0.5mm isn't that much different from 0.6mm.

Any recommendations on grey ink? I saw some amazing ink today at work with a light grey with a slight ting of blue with some amazing dark shading. I have no idea what it could be though.

GoldenNugget fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 30, 2015

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

tater_salad posted:

Have a metro coming tomorrow.
Any recommendations for black ink?

Also should I get a twist converter, stick with the press plate or use syringes to refill the cartridge it comes with?

Do you want a pitch black or a grey with shading?

Noodler's Bulletproof Black is a good black that is permanent and is just black with no shading. It's also kind of boring but does its job well on copy paper. People also like Noodler's Heart of Darkness.

There are a lot of pretty greys out there with shading that I'm trying to figure out what to get right now. Got some samples coming in to test out.

The press plate works alright but hard to tell how much is in it and it's not quite efficient. The twist converted doesn't hold that much but you can see how much is left. The cartridges work well and hold more. You can refill them but it seems a bit tricky which I'm also trying to figure out for my incoming VP.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Alder posted:

1) It's fine but line variation will be less noticeable on small stubs. The 0.6 on the Nemosine is closer to the 1.1 stub on a Lamy. drat I think I have a comparison of all my stub nibs scanned somewhere.

2) Depends on you. I always ask jic the nibmeister has a odd preference or not. I like sending the entire pen as then they can test write it after. IIRC R.Binder sells custom VP grinds at pen shows. The down side is having too many nibs vs pens...

Source: spent too much $ on custom nibs

So a 0.6mm VP stub by Binder is much less than a 0.6mm on a Nemosine?

Anyway I just got my VP here and it's amazing with a M nib.

http://imgur.com/a/8u1W3

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Edmond Dantes posted:

I gifted the Violet Leopard metro to a friend of mine that hasn't used a fountain pen since primary school (she's not a teenager, I got it for her 32nd); she told me she keeps getting compliments at her office, the thing looks great.

So yeah, vote for a Metro (go go violet leopard!).

My sister is about that age too and started her job and I too got her a Violet Leopard with PR Tanzanite. She loves it.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Everything Burrito posted:

I save mine and fill 'em back up until it's too much effort and get a clean one. The only pens I put cartridges in are Pilots though so they're easy to come by.

Same here. I dislike the smaller pilot converters and the cartridges flow very well and hold a decent amount. I've been refilling them with custom ink and using a chopstick to recap them.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

kim jong-illin posted:

Can someone suggest some stub/italic nibs I could put into a TWSBI Eco? Their 1.1 stub is too big for my handwriting compared to other brands' 1.1 nibs.

Apparently the 5.5 nibs here fpr the eco fine. I'm thinking of getting one but I only read they fit. I want a good flex nib but these here are a bit stiff but are less stiff than the noodler flex nib.

http://www.fountainpenrevolution.com/nibs.html

GoldenNugget fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 9, 2015

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
I've made a good dusky blue-black ink. It appears a dark grey with a tiny hint of blue. I had bought the wrong ink and decided to make the best out of it. I got pelikan royal blue ink and noodler's bulletproof black to a 5 ml blue : 1 ml black ratio which makes it permanent, well at least the black in bullet proof.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

grack posted:

Pilot cartridges have a small disk in the throat as a stopper. It doesn't break, the post on the pen just rotates it in place and that allows ink to flow. It feels quite different compared to cartridges from other companies/standards. If the cartridge is fully seated in the pen it's properly installed.

you can also refill the cartridges. After gently squeezing the plastic disc out I use a chopstick or something long and cylindrical and push it in over the ink I would put in with a syringe.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Teach posted:

You're welcome! I like my VP - it's been reliable, although it's heavy - that might have contributed to the fact that I've dropped it and bent the nib twice (and never dropped another pen.) And in my experience, it doesn't leak, nib up or down. The clip is set up so that it's nib up if you use it, but I drop it nib down into my trouser pocket all the time, and I've never had a leak. There's actually a little retractable cover for the nib when it's back in the body of the pen, so that it's not exposed to air/doesn't dry up.

yeah the trap door is pretty good at sealing so you can bring it on an airplane and not have it leak (due to pressure changes during flight) from what I hear. It's a good writer and I use a stub at work. Smooth nib too. Only have used M and stub. Hear the EF and F are pretty good as well.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
I'm willing to pay a bit more for a pen if it's reliable. I stopped buying chinese pens because they all tend to leak a lot more than better quality pens when you shake/jerk them a bit. I got a TWSBI ECO since it was a cheap piston filler and just to see if TWSBI is starting to get better in terms of their QC. The design is much better and it performs well but it has already had a tiny crack in the section where I shouldn't be able to over screw the cap at all. It hasn't had any ink failures yet but I've had it since august or so and it's not so promising.

I think I'm going to stick with my sailors and pilots for now.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

grack posted:

Just got me a Vanishing Point :woop:

good choice! Refill cartridges since flow out of the con-50 is pretty crap, besides you will hold more.

You get a stub nib?

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

grack posted:

Broad, I wanna use the VP exclusively for iron-gall inks. I have (and actually like) a Con-20 already so I may use that but we'll see.

Salix and Scabiosa are excellent inks that I use routinely and work well on crappy paper. I think there are other ones by other brands but they are either blue or black. There is one finnish ink group that makes a lot more colors but it's like a chemistry major student who does it on his free time or something.

I pretty much hate all the pilot small converters because they either are a pain to fill or you can't see how much you are putting in. And the new replacement converter will hold less. Besides refilling cartridges are portable and flow much much better.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
Argh I'm pretty upset that my pen I sent out to get custom work done on just will not come back to me. Sent it out in July, finally got the nib worked on, shipped back but got lost/missorted and shipping was delayed a week, attempted delivery today but because for whatever reason the apartment number was not on the package, it was not delivered and is going back to the sender. It sucks rear end and given how lovely USPS has been lately I don't know if I will get it back within a reasonable amount of time.

It's also the pen I got for my graduation so I'm pretty upset.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Everything Burrito posted:

Does anyone who refills cartridges actually transport refilled carts? I just carry new sealed ones if I need ink when I'm out since I gotta empty them out to get new ones to refill at some point anyway, but I read a bunch of threads on FPN where people talked about all the various methods they used to seal cartridges up for transport (hot glue seemed to be the most common).

I do but I use pilot cartridges and use a chopstick to push the circular disc back into the cartridge. Store them in a plastic bag with a tissue in it.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

My three VPs, Blue and Green Carbonesque with Stub and EF nib and Cherry Redwood VP with custom stub.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It looks like the place I ordered my ink will be taking some time to ship it since they got nailed in the blizzard. Meanwhile, can somebody explain what I should expect from a 12-pack of Hero 616s? I am assuming one of them may actually write better than my Metro, a few to be as comparable as I can tell, and the rest will be crap that need some adjustments.

I do not really even have that high of an expectation. I wanted to have some spares I can use at work and elsewhere without feeling too bad if I lost them.

They're kind of crappy. There are also a ton of rip offs of hero 616s (yes rip offs of rip offs) and they aren't really reliable. Watch out for jostling them as they leak way more than any other pens I have used. You might as well get a parker 51 as they are way way better than heros.

I'd recommend not getting any chinese type fountain pen if you are concerned about reliability, durability, and quality. I only have bought a few and have had unpleasant experiences with them overall. Haven't had any issues with all of my pilots and Sailor pens but yes they are way more expensive than chinese pens.

I'd even recommend TWSBIs over chinese pens. While they have pretty poo poo quality control they have better value and features over chinese pens in general and the ECO is a 30 dollar piston filler which works pretty well overall.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
lol Baystate Blue.

Yes it's one of the most saturating inks out there and stains some stuff really badly. Only use it in cheaper pens. Apparently a few pens dissolve or something since it's corrosive with them.

Watch out, Hero 616s leak quite a bit.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
Ku-Jaku is a nice tone. I haven't used it but from what I've seen it's very similar to Sailor Yamadori but a tiny bit greener. I've been loving Yamadori recently and it works quite well on bad paper.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
oh how is that trident? Great writer or a pain to use/maintain?

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Kerbtree posted:

So, I got hold of a VP with a factory stub in it at the weekend. Lovely bit of kit, I should wander off from the work-safe confines of Fine more often.

Get a custom ground architech nib:
http://imgur.com/a/9RtxC

I used a medium nib. Pilot's stub is nice but I still like custom stubs better than pilot's.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Pixelante posted:

Can anyone doodle out a comparison between a Pilot fine tip and medium tip, maybe on lined paper for scale?

It also depends on what type of pilot pen you want a comparison on. If you are talking about the vanishing point, a M nib is actually pretty broad in comparison to the fine. The difference is not as big with other pilot pens where the medium nib is a European fine.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
welp it's 122 bucks now bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
The metro, Lamy Safari, TWSBI Eco, and Jinhaos are pretty good starter pens.

Pilots are generally great quality and have excellent QC. I usually have a Vanishing point on me most of the time. Cartridges are decent and refillable. The squeeze bladder is iffy and I'd recommend just filling it with a syringe instead of squeezing back and forth and maybe have a full ink load. The con-50 is clear but does not hold as much as the squeeze bladder.

Lamy Safari is also pretty good as well and the EF nib writes very smooth. It is a pretty wide nib since it's european though. The converter is a bit extra and is okay.

TWSBI eco is a nice steel nib and kind of in between european and japanese nib sizing. It's smooth. Huge capacity. The only issue is QC is an issue and all of their plastic cracks at some point or another.

Jinhaos are pretty decent, snap on caps. Heavy. Comes with a converter and works with international cartridges I believe. Cheap. I think they are better quality than other Chinese pens but most Chinese pens have awful quality. I don't think Jinhaos leak or splutter as much as the other chinese brands.