Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Brightman posted:

Got my Pilot Metropolitan early today. Goulet Pens threw in a Tootsie Pop with this one...okay.

Came with a Con-20 instead of a Con-50, which ain't that bad considering the 50's capacity is a bit poor. It writes really well, the line is thinner than the medium nib on my VP funnily enough, but the snap cap feels looser than my Lamy Safari, so I don't have a lot of confidence carrying this outside of a shirt pocket. Pen looks nice, writes decently, and for the price it's a great deal, quite deserving of its place in the OP.

Edit: I skimmed the page description on Goulet, the Con-50 is extra and the pen comes with the Con-20 by default.

I've had candy in my last few shipments from them.

I snagged two Metropolitans a week or so ago and I absolutely love them, I transplanted a plumix nib on to one with ease and have had a joy writing with both. Also both have tight caps and I've had no hesitation even putting them in my pants pockets.
Along with a Varsity, this is absolutely what I'll recommend to people wanting to get started with fountain pens.

On a more expensive note, I've been thinking of saving for a metal falcon. Any owners here care to talk me in/out of it? The pen looks absolutely gorgeous, and I'd love to see how writing with it compares to my Ahab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

How's the dry time on oxblood? I love the color of Noodler's Tiananmen, but it will still smudge after 20 minutes or more on my rhodia pad.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

This is the brush pen that comes with BSB. It's made for doing watercolors, but a ton of fun to put some of your favorite ink in and just play with.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Beezle Bug posted:

If a pen's nib is "normal when not flexed," what does that mean exactly?

Basically that it writes a constant width when you don't add that extra pressure. Noodlers pens are F/XF, and Pilot's Falcon has different options for width when not flexed. Often a vintage pen with flex will list the range of no flex to full flex in the description from the seller (ex F-BBB)

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Hotbod Handsomeface posted:

TWSBI is having a thing where you can get a 540 and vac700 for $100. Is it a good deal?
http://www.twsbi.com/product.php?id_product=48

Absolutely. The Vac 700 is probably my favorite pen in my collection right now, and a diamond 540 for 20 bucks on top of that is an incredible deal.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Noodlers pens unflexed are definitely thinner than a Lamy fine,

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

404notfound posted:

TWSBI just put up a picture of the 580, the second major revision of their main pen:

Not sure if I like the metal ring around the piston knob now, though it's probably there to mitigate some of the barrel cracking issues that users have had. Other than that, it doesn't look like there's much different, so there's probably not any reason to upgrade if you already have a 530/540.

I think I'll live okay without one of these, but it's going to be really, really hard to resist that 850 when it comes out.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Pigasus posted:

I want to get a set of beginner's fountain pens. I'm considering getting the Pilot Metropolitan, a Lamy Safari with an extra fine tip, and an italic pen. I haven't figured out which italic pen I would get, but I have this $6 Sheaffer pen that I found at Staples and it's the worst fountain pen I have ever used. It just feels so abrasive when I write on the page. Any suggestions for a pen with an italic nib at <$30?

The Pilot Plumix is around ten dollars and has a pretty decent italic nib. Extra bonus is that it can be swapped with the nib from the Metropolitan, and even buying both just for the purpose of changing the nib with the classier metro well stay within your budget.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Audax posted:

So my Singularity came in with some more ink. So I have a blue pen and a black pen... I think it's only logical to go red pen with red ink next. I've found myself just writing a lot for the sake of how nice it feels. I like the fine nib a lot so far, and I was curious is it easy to replace the Metropolitan nib from medium to fine as well?

Is it just as simple as swapping it out - or are there "incompatible" nibs out there?

Any of the pilot nibs of that shape should be just fine. As I've stated here, I swapped a Plumix nib on to my Metropolitans and its been fantastic.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Somewhat Heroic posted:

That's atrocious. On another note: I'm wanting to get a new nib size for my TWSBI 540. I'm torn between a broad nib and the stub. I want to learn fancy writing and stuff, and love a big wet line. I have the medium now. Can anyone here sway me one direction or the other?

I keep a 1.5 stub on my 540 and its incredible fun to play with. I also keep a broad on my vac 700 and that stays my basic go to pen for almost everything. I think you'll love either one, but my vote is definitely on the stub nib.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Hotbod Handsomeface posted:

Does anyone have any of the Noodler's flex pens? How are they? Will they write okay without flexing? I understand that they may need some fine tuning. They are just so cheap.

You will have no problems whatsoever with no flex, they write a beautiful fine line. Writing with a lot of flex is where the fine tuning comes in. Any way you slice it they're a great value, surpassed only by the Pilot Metropolitan in my eyes.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Vitamins posted:

So there's factories producing knock-offs of knock-off Parkers? :psyduck:

Has anyone here had any experience with Edison pens? I'm looking to get a custom Herald, and oh god all the combinations of colours is very overwhelming.

I don't but please post in here if you go for it, I've had my eyes on a Hudson for some time now.

On the 616s, I've had much better experiences with the jumbos myself. The regulars are great to leave at work, but I have so much trouble getting a decent fill. The first jumbo I got sucked up almost a whole Goulet ink sample right off the bat.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Synastren posted:

I'm surprised that no one mentioned that the new 580s are up on TWBSI's site!

WHY WOULD YOU TELL ME THIS? I have so many TWSBIs already! I'll bet they're so nice...

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

lucifer chikken posted:

I seem to be having less-than-stellar luck with pens. New Noodler's Brush Pen dumped a cap full of Heart of Darkness on my lap, so I guess I can't leave that inked up for even a couple hours. But more troubling, I noticed that my handwriting sucks especially bad with my new Lamy Safari because the nib itself is wiggling and slips off the feed very easily. It writes like those really lovely pencils with loose lead after you sharpen them write. Not good.
I checked the Lamy Nexx I have, the nib is very snugly seated, and reading around suggests that's proper and that it should take some effort to get the nib off. Is there any way I can get the nib on the Safari to grab on a little more? I don't want to take a pair of pliers to it if that's going to be the worst idea ever.

The first thing I'd recommend it's to swap nibs. You can pull the nib off of your Nexx with a little piece of clear tape (as I'm sure you've read). That way you'll be able to see whether the problem is that nib or the feed on your Safari.
Going to town with a pair of pliers might indeed do more harm than good, but bending that nib may be exactly what you need. And the nib can be replaced relatively cheaply if you do end up making a mess of it.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Vitamins posted:

I don't get the Noodlers pen hype either. Sure some of his inks are great, but why would anyone bother buying a $20 pen that may or may not work rather than a more expensive on that's almost guaranteed to work? They seem pretty poor quality for what they are, but I guess trying to make an affordable flex pen is pretty cool. Maybe it's because there's a lot of people that seem to like the Noodler dudes :tinfoil::hf::911: attitude?

He likes to claim that "the pen is the accessory to the ink", if that helps explain anything. He really just sees pens as a means to an end, whereas in here we tend to go gaga over a pen that's really nice and pleasant to write with.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

PaganGoatPants posted:

I think I'm going to get a Lamy Safari as a starter pen, but should I get a medium or fine nib...nub...tip?

Lamy's fine is pretty thick, so I'd for sure recommend that choice between the two.
Definitely check out the Pilot Metro though. You'll spend a bit less and the pen is fantastic. I say overall get whichever you prefer the look of.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

As has been said, that's a Platinum Preppy. For the cap, get a little piece of packing tape to wrap around it. It won't be as tight as it was too begin with, but that should keep the cap from just falling off the pen and letting the nib dry out.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Yoshi Jjang posted:

I've been reading this thread for a while, but I've never actually had an interest in fountain pens until now. Don't know jack all about them. I haven't gotten one yet, but I do recall doing calligraphy back when I was in 3rd grade or so. Thanks to this thread, I just bought a Pilot Parallel to see if I can still do it, and well...

The middle character was a mistake. It doesn't even exist. The bottom is my friend's name in Chinese, 鑼鋼. Never done blackletter in Chinese before. :)

Are there any recommendations for special kind of paper for fountain/calligraphy pens? I'm just stealing printer paper from work at the moment.

Anything that's heavy/ink resistant should do the trick. I really like my rhodia pads, and have had good experiences with ckairefontaine as well (80g/90g, respectively). Thinner paper will start to bleed and feather as it absorbs ink too quickly.
A big factor well be the properties of the ink you use too, so results will vary substantially.
If you don't see feathering or have other problems with the photocopy paper, I wouldn't worry about it at all. If you'd like to try some different stuff, Brian Goulet at gouletpens.com sells some different sampler packs (though none that have several brands, unfortunately).
Basically, paper isn't too expensive, so it's easy to try some out and see what you like!

Edit: By the way, your writing is gorgeous!

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Yoshi Jjang posted:

I have no cap and I must post.

The real reason I post my caps (also, I just learned what "posting caps" meant as of today) as much as possible is because I wouldn't want to get the cap dirty from the oils of my palms. :ohdear: I obviously have no choice with my Pilot Parallel, though, so I just stand it up on the desk when writing.

This thread is so fascinating on a topic that I thought was completely mundane and unassuming. And now I'm going to get my first fountain pen in the mail soon. What's up with that?

I came into the last thread unassuming in a "Let's check this out..." kind of way. A few scant months later and my tax return came in and I found myself ordering a Pilot Metal Falcon for more than $200.

You'll be one of us soon!

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

evobatman posted:

Well I just ordered a glossy black Lamy Safari with fine nib from eBay. Look what you made me do, thread!

Is it coming with a cartridge converter? Gonna need some pretty inks to write with...:getin:

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

My Diamond 580 with a 1.1 stub came today! It writes a ton wetter than my 540 with a 1.5, though that's probably the ink as much as the nib (Waterman Inspired Blue vs Noodler's El Lawrence). I also got the Vac 20 ink bottle, which I plan to use mostly for flushing my Vac 700 with.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Yoshi Jjang posted:

Also, how do I clean the nib if it has ink on it? I guess it doesn't really matter, but with something so new, I can get pretty anal about keeping something clean for as long as possible. If I even lightly touch the nib with any sort of cloth, the ink will totally bleed all over it. It kind of sucks being so new and clueless at everything!

You can wipe it off with a paper towel or similar, which will draw more ink through, so it takes a little practice to get the hang of it. Also keep in mind that some inks (particularly many of noodler's inks) tend to creep more than others.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Vitamins posted:

Finally putting in an order for the custom Edison I mentioned a few pages ago. :neckbeard:
However now I have the agonising wait for it to be made. I might have to buy some new inks to fill the void. :getin:

What did you snag again? I love the look of the emerald Hudson that Goulet Pens sells, but one of those pneumatic filler Beaumonts would be so cool!

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

iostream.h posted:

You (and everyone) should try out some of the ultra-cheap Chinese pens off of eBay.

A good friend who I got interested in FPs has been buying them up as he's on an extremely tight budget and while I've been supportive I've been a little bit suspicious until he gave me a couple. Some of them write rather well, and I'm talking $5 pens! They're obviously hit or miss but still, I think I'm going to expand my shopping horizons a bit.

I have had very mixed results with the Hero pens I've been buying, though I've been impressed with the 'good' ones. My 616 jumbo has been great to leave at work without it being a big loss should it walk off.

I just bought 2 FPR Dillis from fountainpenrevolution.com, which I hope are nice. I'd love to have a 15 dollar piston-filler to recommend to people.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Synastren posted:

I was going to ask if there were any sort of facilitation for filling with the TWSBI bottles. I was considering picking up a bottle to mix a couple of inks (a bulletproof color + bulletproof black) together, and to keep it at the office... but if there is a real benefit to having one, I'll definitely pick one up.

The only difference you'll have with the bottle for the 580 is you can unscrew the section and click the pen into a port on the top for filling. It'll make it easier to get a fuller full, and I guess keep ink off your nib if you're particular about that.

I've been meaning for a while now to look for some small rubber tubing I could put onto that same port on the pen to make filling from sample vials really easy (the capacity on the 540/580 is perfect for a Goulet ink sample), but I still haven't got around to it.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

shadysight posted:

Frig, I was just washing my Noodler Ahab out and knocked it onto the floor. Now the tip has a nice bend in it.

What are my options at this point? :(

Gouletpens.com just started selling a full range of nibs that will fit that pen, should you fail to get it working again by trying to bend things back into shape. That'll probably be your easiest option, though it'll only save you a few dollars over just buying a new Ahab.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Yoshi Jjang posted:

My collection so far is missing a flex pen. Does anybody know the differences between the Noodler's Nib Creaper, Ahab, and Konrad flex pens? The Fountain Pen Network seems to be offline, so there goes looking there for comparisons.

I don't have a Nib Creaper. They're the smallest of the bunch, piston-filled with a smaller nib than the other two. The Konrad is also a piston filler, it and the Ahab have identical nibs. One thing to watch out for at least with the regular resin version of the Konrad is that the cap is really shallow and can hit the nib if you don't have it in far enough. The Ahab comes with a weird cartridge convertor that, in my experience, is a complete pain to clean. This can be removed in order to use the Ahab as an eyedropper with a RIDICULOUS ink capacity. Keep in mind that the Ahab has no sort of ink window, so if you don't get one of the (many) demonstrator versions there's no way to tell your ink level without pulling off the barrel.

The Ahab and Konrad each write a very fine line unflexed - I would assume the Nib Creaper is the same - and with a little luck and some fiddling can do some pretty cool flexing. I prefer the look of the Konrad (and appreciate the ink window), so it's certainly what I'd recommend. One of the resin ones if you're just looking to check flex off of your list at an easy price, or one of the more expensive acrylic or ebonite models if you're willing to spend a few more dollars. Do some size checking though. From what I understand the ebonite ones are massive pens.

I also feel I should mention I really, really, really love my Pilot Falcon. It's many times the price of the others, but it's one of my two favorite pens to write with (the other is my Italix Parson's Essential).

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Platypus Farm posted:

I manage to justify it every time I need to fill out another permission slip from my kid's school. Speaking of, he's got two field trips coming up. Guess that Vac700 deal is timed juuuuuust right.

edit - actually what are people's experiences ordering direct from TWSBI? I've had a terrible time with HK/Taiwan sellers on ebay and amazon marketplace and the like. Do they get your poo poo to you quick?

I've had no problems with them whatsoever. I bought my 580 direct, as well as the Vac 700/540 deal they had a few months back. Both orders were quick and in great shape.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Yeah, the one on the pen is the Bock nib, which they changed around the beginning of the year as those tended to be quite dry. The one on the box is a Jowo nib, that they've been issuing since.
If you plan to mess with one, definitely play with the one that came on the pen.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

^ Just the Vacs

Brightman posted:

Hmm, the one in the pen seems to be pretty drat smooth as it is, but okay, I'll keep that in mind.

Edit: Would I be able to switch nibs on this with it inked up, or would it being a vac make that a terrible idea?

Should be able to swap them no problem. In fact, with the blind cap screwed in all the way, the ink reservoir is blocked off completely (which is good to know before the feed dries out and you wonder why your pen has stopped working.)

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

shadysight posted:

I'm glad to hear someone else has had better experiences. Searching for a solution to my problem was a little like searching through WebMD. I got to hear all about the things that had gone wrong with Konrads.

My Konrad has a tight hold with the threads for the piston as well. My best advice for yours would be to (carefully) put a small amount of shellac or the like on those threads to hold them in place. You'll need a heat gun or a warm bath to undo it again, but it's not something you should need to do often at all.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

delpheye posted:

Is there a resource out there for learning about said adjustments? I have no problem tinkering with a thing. In fact, I like it. I build everything I can from parts, so having to learn about the parts of the pen and how they interact with each other is ok with me.

The preppy looks like a solid choice, but I'm after something a little more refined, if that's really the right word. I'm sort of trying to adopt a buy it for life lifestyle but that has it's own pitfalls so I figure 8 bux for a pen is good enough to figure out the whole fountain pen thing.

Trigger pulled!

This guy has a ton of good information on fountain pens and maintenance, though some of it is tucked inside the reviews. Also Brian Goulet of gouletpens.com has a lot of good stuff (though it's more things like cleaning and using pens rather than any type of nib tweaking).

Edit: Also, this is a great article on common things that can give you trouble with a nib: http://edisonpen.com/page.cfm/IPGnibs2

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Pulled the trigger on a Lamy 2000 today, excited to get my hands on it and see what the fuss is about. I also bought a bottle of Noodler's Heart of Darkness, which should be a good match-up.

Do many of you have Jinhao pens? I bought an X450 on ebay which showed up the other day. Writing with the pen is just fine, but the cap is so crazy tight - to the point where I literally struggle to get it off the pen. Is this a common thing at all?

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

kim jong-illin posted:

Arse, I got my Lamy 2000 today and I'm not happy with the nib :(

I usually write with a 1.1 italic nib so I got a broad nib for the 2000 because the sampler on gouletpens.com made it look closest to the line thicknesses I get with an italic nib. Now the 2000's arrived and I hate the broad nib - it leaves way too much ink on the paper so the drying time is excessively long and it makes my handwriting look very sloppy.

Looking at a two to four week turn-around time to get the nib changed to a fine by Lamy as it has to go back to Germany for a nib change.

In some positive news, I'd recommend Noodler's Walnut Brown to anyone looking for a good brown-black ink. It starts off as a light black colour but rapidly dries and fades into a rich, dark brown that looks very slick and smart.

How much writing have you done with the pen? I also recently received a Lamy 2000 in broad, and had similar troubles my first day of writing. Now it's dropping a much more reasonable amount of ink and dry time is quite good on the rhodia pad I just grabbed to test with. I have Noodler's Heart of Darkness in the pen at the moment.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Carved out the nib on my Ahab with a Dremel as per that fpn thread. I love the extra flex, but I could use some tips on helping the ink flow - I've heard things like cutting fins, but I don't understand just what to do our how it makes a difference. Any insight someone could provide on that note would be awesome!

e: FPN link

SnakesRevenge fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jul 9, 2013

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Viper_3000 posted:

Bought a Lamy Vista/Safari (whatever, same thing it's just clear) and some Quink off of amazon thanks to this thread. (Quink since none of the Noodler's I wanted shipped with Prime)

Then I saw and started reading about Bay State Blue and I know if I like writing with the Lamy I'll be dropping another $40 on a Metropolitan and that ink since I've heard bad things about using a Safari/Vista/Al Star with it.

Just be sure not to put BSB in that Vista. For some reason it eats those Lamy feeds like candy. I'd recommend getting the 4.5 oz bottle and use the preppy that comes with, it's a hell of a pen.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Rodney Chops posted:

Got a Lamy Al-Star as a gift from the wife. I wanted somethign like my plumix but just better, and I got that. Except it's a 1.5mm broad nib. It writes much easier, but its too wide of line. Going to order the smaller italic nib for nit next I guess. Really happy with it so far, and I don't mind the ink in the Lamy cartidge it came with.

I did the same thing with my TWSBI 540, I had no idea how crazy fat 1.5 mm was in practice. I think you'll enjoy the 1.1a lot, it's still a little bigger than the one on the Plumix.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

laertes22 posted:

I recently got a Pilot Metropolitan when I ordered that last batch of Noodler's Heart of Darkness. They were on sale, and I wanted to see how they stacked up against Lamy Safari/Vista as a "starter pen". My Lamy Vistas will always have a special place in my heart as my first FP, but in retrospect, I would have definitely gone with the Metropolitan. Being a lefty, that Lamy triangular grip kills me. For a $15-20 pen, that Metropolitan is just a pleasure with which to write.

All the place that I checked only had it in a medium nib. Do they only come in medium? If so, can you change the nibs on a Metropolitan (and what brand/model nib can you use in them)? I normally write with a fine nib, and was wondering it is feasible on the Metropolitan, or if I am just going to have to suck it up and get used to the Medium.

It'll swap with a Plumix or Prera nib, though I don't know where you could get one by itself. The nib kind of slots into the feed, so I imagine it would be more trouble than its worth to try a non-pilot nib.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

How many of you in here have a Vanishing Point and what are your thoughts on it? I've been looking them over for a long time, but it's hard to commit that kind of money when I'm not sure how much I'll like or use it.

So what do you like and dislike about your vanishing points?