Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
I'm sick of noodler's flex not working right. Are there any other alternatives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
I'd like to try an italic nib for maximum shading. How can I do this cheaply? I have a pilot 78g and a lamy safari.

teraflame fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Apr 5, 2014

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009

powderific posted:

I hate the way the Metro feels in my hand. The bump where it goes from grip/threads to main pen body is right where I normally hold and makes the pen very uncomfortable. It's my most disappointing pen purchase. So, count me as the one person who doesn't like the Metro.

Yeah I was set on buying it until I tried it at a store. The step on the grip to body is sharp and the taper is too narrow for me to hold comfortably.

...I ended up buying a Vanishing Point instead.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
I got my Vanishing Point today with a F nib. Is the writing angle supposed to be really narrow? I get skipping on up and down strokes the way I normally want to hold it.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Wow getting my Vanishing Point fixed will have a turnaround time of 4 weeks.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
I hope this is the right place to ask: Would anyone be interested in trading something for a like new Pilot 78G w/ Broad (stub) nib?

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009

Remora posted:

Are you looking for a pen, ink, what?

Looking for ink preferably.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009

Remora posted:

I have almost full bottles of Waterman Mysterious Blue and Diamine Syrah, if those strike your fancy.

Hmm not really. Would you have any pens you're willing to trade?

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Switch to cartridge, they hold more anyway.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Is the Muji fountain pen good? I like the looks.

In the low price point side, I never liked the feel of the metro's barrel and I'm looking to get something different from safari as my nib and feed broke recently.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Anyone have any experience with Pilot Custom Maple? I saw it in person and now I lust for it.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Kakuno is more expensive than metropolitan (in my area) and they write the same anyway.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009

Solumin posted:

Are there any goon recommendations for some good, cheap-ish student notebooks? I need them for taking notes in class. I'm left handed, so a binding that won't get in the way would be great. Thanks!

(Even better if they're on Amazon Prime, too!)

Check if there is a Muji store near you. Their stationery section is great and they have a student discount going on.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
What sizes do Chinese pens go by, Western or Japanese?

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Which #6 nib should I get? I prefer med-broad. Does goulet or one of the xfountainpen brands have the smoothest nibs?

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Yeah honestly I don't know why people continue to buy them.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
When most other manufacturers never have this reoccurring QC problem, they sure aren't doing it right. Why even take the chance when you can just go Pilot or something?

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Amazon is alright for japanese pens if you can wait like 3 weeks.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009

krampster2 posted:

I was looking at the Pilot metropolitan medium of course and it looks like an awesome pen, but it is definitely too fine. Could you guys recommend something similar that is reasonably thicker? I'd be willing to spend around $40 or so.

Faber Castell Loom is a good choice, it has the smoothest nib in thicknesses you want for the price.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
R&K Scabiosa is iron gall but its very well behaved for me. Easy to clean and flows well.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009

bale. posted:

I was worried about that but it's never been a problem. I think I noticed it on the first day only bc I was obsessively sniffing my hands after using it -that's easily one of the weirdest sentences I've posted on these forums- but I've never really noticed it since. Can't vouch for other brass but kaweco has been a non-issue

Well duh since you get used to the smell.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Are the hero lamy knockoffs worth getting? Nib QC can't be much worse than regular lamys right?

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
The knurling on the muji is the worst I've ever felt. Like its not deep enough, its irritating.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Whats the difference between all the Custom models in pilot's line? Is the FA nib overhyped? I just want some line variation while drawing.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Yeah the Custom series feel much better than Falcons, especially when you go up to 912.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Miquelrius is fantastic. I should have bought a bunch of them back when target had them.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
They just won't be decent out of the box unless japanese. The bodies are nice though, people replace the nibs with cheap western ones if they can.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Idk do they go camping like everyday?

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Whats the best option for a cheap fude nib pen?

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
I just refill cartridges for smaller pilot pens tbh.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
I can't imagine a purple better than Poussière de Lune.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
What are some decent nibs I could slap on a x450?

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
idk my experience with cheap chinese pens are great bodies, dogshit nib quality. What models do you buy to not be crap?

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Those stepped sections suck, its why I hated pilot metropolitan.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

I am going to take the plunge and get a Lamy Safari. I will be using it heavily as I write several pages a day. Using the Lamy converter or syringe refilling cartridges: which option will be less hassle for me?

take a look at the wing sung piston fillers, they're cheap enough and surprisingly great. Otherwise refilling cartridges is the way to go.

teraflame fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 15, 2017

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009

Heath posted:

The new Pilot converters are the worst garbage and I hate them.

This is why I can't accept anything less than con-70s.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Nothing wrong with mixing.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
you cant tease that and not post it.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

Someone dropped my metro onto a granite countertop and the nib bent to the side (like, the very tip of it). I gently bent it back by pressing it on a pad of paper in the right direction and it looks like it's lined back up but is very... scratchy to write with now. Is this nib now Bunged?

Any cool and good ebay listings for F/M/B nibs that would fit my metro?

get the wing sung nibs, they come in M now. Or just upgrade to a 698.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009

MJP posted:

Is there a clear piston converter that will fit in a Metro? I run out of ink at inopportune times :-(

yeah its called a wing sung 698.