Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

saphron
Apr 28, 2009

gwrtheyrn posted:

Once it gets started it write with no problems until I put it away again. I'm using #41 brown, and I haven't really done any cleaning aside from the initial flushing and flushing between different inks.

I've actually had this problem too and have been wondering whether my Metropolitan was a lemon. It's fussier about inks than I would have liked -- I tested it out twice with Terre de Feu, but it skips here and there. Even Noodler's Black takes a few scratches to start up (which was not the case with the Safari), but once it does it writes like a charm. It's still a great deal of a pen, of course...but this thread has me looking at the 580 now. This poo poo is a goddamn rabbit hole.

That said, I'm currently on the hunt for purple/violet/indigo inks that aren't fussy. So far I've liked testing out La Reine Mauve, but it's too high maintenance for regular use, unfortunately. Anyone have suggestions of inks to try? Legibility is a must, and it'd be nice if it worked on cheap paper as well as higher quality paper, but other than that anything goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saphron
Apr 28, 2009

Vitamins posted:

The most purple ink I've used is Iroshizoku Murasaki-Shikibu. It's almost the purply colour you see when you look at one of those UV lights. Very well behaved, and shades nicely. Expensive though.

Will have to look into it, thanks!

Obligatory Toast posted:

Noodler's North African Violet is loving violet and I mean loving violet.

Beautiful, strong color, but it stains like a motherfucker.

I'm actually trying out that right now, and I love how vibrant it is. Should I expect my sink to stain purple when I clean the pen? D:

Zenostein posted:

What do you mean by "too high maintenance?"

La Reine Mauve likes to crust up the pen even if it hasn't been used for only a day; I usually needed to fiddle with the nib to clear it before the usual scribble to start writing. And it was drying up on my pen really, really fast -- pause for a minute to think and I'd be scribbling again. That said, I just looked up Poussiere de Lune, and while it's not as vibrant as I usually like, it looks like a beautiful color and dark enough to write with every day, and ...guess that'll have to go on the sample list now.

saphron
Apr 28, 2009

Hobologist posted:

Oh, and to the person who needs a nice purple ink, the Yamabudo is a nice deep magenta.

I just had to check this thread before I placed my sample order. Welp.

How does the weight of the 580 compare to the Safari? I'm finding that while I like how sharp the Metropolitan looks, I much prefer the weight of the Safari in my (admittedly small) hands, so the Metropolitan isn't seeing as much use.

saphron
Apr 28, 2009
I've tended toward bulletproof inks for everyday writing because I have a terrible tendency to knock over liquids (water, coffee, tea, beer) while I'm working, and to do it over the most important papers/work notes on my desk currently. Oops.

On another note, there's a kickstarter for a fountain pen running right now: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/730727524/visionnaire-fine-writing-instruments-0?ref=live

Does it look good/interesting enough for an investment? It's got an iridium nib, but it's unclear (to my untrained eye) if the rest of the pen is solid.

saphron
Apr 28, 2009

Landsknecht posted:

The quality is just stunning; for me these things are definitely worth the price. I really like how the book has the look and feel of a bible; from a design perspective it's really cool.

I picked up one of the leather fold-ever covers to protect my pen, as I'll probably stick something fairly nice in there (sailor 1911 or platinum 3776).

And the paper on the Hobonichi books is amazing. I just received mine and tested with my gushy-as-gently caress Safari with Liberty's Elysium, and the paper just takes it. Not ideal for extended writing, mind, but I get why everyone's hot on the paper quality now. I'm so jazzed for 2015. Do people normally use the PVC sleeves that come with the covers, though?

And to bring this back to pen talk, I've been hankering after an XF Lamy 2000 (I have pretty small handwriting and a use-case where I often have to write on and off for a few hours), but looking at the Nib Nook, I don't seem much of a difference between XF and F. Does anyone know if the XF actually writes noticeably finer than a F?

saphron
Apr 28, 2009

Kessel posted:

2000s run wide. If you're worried about size get an EF - it won't be fine fine but it will be fine enough. The F will almost certainly run too wide for you.

Thanks for the advice, Kessel (you know, a few pages back) -- had the opportunity to try a friend's F, and it definitely seemed to run wider than even the M nib on a Metro. I'm definitely jumping on the Massdrop for one.

saphron
Apr 28, 2009

dexefiend posted:

I just ordered a Lamy 2000 and some black Quink.

It's Quink a good no frills black? I don't want bulletproof, because I already put my Custom Heritage 92 through the wash loaded with Tiananmen. Luckily, it came out completely!

I am going to use my Lamy 2000 to study actuarial science and look good doing it.

As someone who has just picked up a Lamy 2000, it is a super sweet pen that (at least during the honeymoon phase) really makes you want to look for more reasons to keep writing. I only have Lamy Blue in it now, which is functional and whatever, but Quink Black is definitely a solid, reliable ink and should also work well.

saphron
Apr 28, 2009

Dudeabides posted:

What is the best ink for writing on envelopes or anything that will have to stand up to weather? I've never really gone into bulletproof inks, but is there any particular brand you'd recommend?

I've used Noodler's Black and it's worked without problems. That said, if you can, test your ink on the envelopes you're planning to use first. A lot of envelopes are made with lower-quality paper (even the ones that come with nicer-quality paper, drat you Muji), so the ink can feather a lot if you're not careful. It's not so bad as long as you write large enough to offset the feathering or go with an extra-fine nib, but it might not be the effect you're going for.

saphron
Apr 28, 2009

Lolcano Eruption posted:

What are some good options for mini-sized pens? Similar to the Pilot Petit1 but less cheap looking.

What's your budget? The Kaweco Liliput is a gorgeous mini pen if you're into metal pens, but it's not cheap. I have and like my TWSBI Mini, which posts to something close to a full-sized pen, and is a bit cheaper.

saphron
Apr 28, 2009

chippy posted:

Does anyone know if it's alright to go from Lamy black to Blue (cartridges) without flushing my pen? I've got an exam in the morning, just discovered my pen is nearly empty and I only have blue.

Yeah, it won't kill the pen. It'll just be writing in a darker blue than usual for a while.

saphron
Apr 28, 2009
Yeah, my first pen was a Lamy Safari, and while I've gotten more awesome pens since, the Safari is still my go-to everyday pen (probably I don't have to baby it like some other pens).

saphron
Apr 28, 2009
I tried the 1670 inks this past weekend at the SF pen show (which was super great by the way). If the trial pens were any indication, Emerald of Chivor was writing fine mid-afternoon when the others were clogged messes.

Also dat color, so amazing. The red lustre adds depth to that green and really makes the gold pop. Not that I need more inks... :(

saphron
Apr 28, 2009

aldantefax posted:

I didn't end up helping out with the show, but I heard the ink sampling stations were the bee's knees and received well by everybody. Ricky and co. are getting some great feedback regarding the event.

Yeah, it was great to take a break from staring at ALL THE PENS and sit/kneel, and swap colors with whoever was at the table. Someone would be all "oh wow this is neat" while testing some ink and then the rest of the table would look up and want to know what color it was. Even if some of them were unobtainium...

Really hope they do it again next year!

saphron
Apr 28, 2009

Xun posted:

Any recommendations for a red ink with good shading? Was looking at Rogue Hematite but I'm not sure I want to deal with the particles

What kind of red are you looking for?

saphron
Apr 28, 2009
Re: rouge hemetite, there's also some formulations that had less sparkles after the very first one caused a lot of thinking. The current formulation should have plenty of glitter though.

And yessss seconding Fuyu-gaki if you like your reds more on the orange side. Also Noodler's Nikita is pretty rad for a fairly true red.

saphron
Apr 28, 2009
My fav purples so far have been R&K Scabiosa for a dusty purple, Diamine Imperial Purple for a bluer purple, and Iroshizuku Yama-Budo for a redder purple.

...also Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses is gorgeous if you've got a nice fat nib for it!

saphron
Apr 28, 2009

Kessel posted:

I did it. I met goons at a pen show.

Haha, and it was great to meet you too! The bunny journal was even more gorgeous in person~

Also can confirm: the mini journals are adorable :3:. Even the one inexplicably bound in cashmere.

Otherwise, apparently a guy at Sailor USA managed to convince Sailor to make a bunch of inks from the original Jentle series, including poo poo like Sky High and Grenade (both of which have a loving intense sheen in person). They're even only available in the U.S., though for a slight mark-up...think he was selling them for $25 a bottle at the show. Still, worth keeping your eyes peeled if you've been hunting for them...

saphron
Apr 28, 2009

Kessel posted:

So who's going to be at San Francisco's show this year?

Me, hopefully!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saphron
Apr 28, 2009

Bolt Lux posted:

The color of fuyu-gaki is super nice, but overbearing if writing blocks of text with it. Loving it as an editing color, however!

Fuyu-gaki is the best editing/annotation color for sure, and probably one of the nicest-behaved reds I've ever used. I used to trade off with Yama-budo for marking up but Fuyu-gaki hasn't actually left my rotation in three years or so.

Murasaki-shibiku is a relatively boring purple compared to others on the market but I love it because it's so reliable and consistent that I don't have to stress about it gunking up or staining a pen (looking at you, Noodler).

Anyway Iroshizuku inks are great! Also Jetpens carries them too if Goulet is out of stock.