Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Sup patiently waiting squad, I'm waiting on a Platinum 3776 Century from Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

Is there anywhere you can buy just a broad nib for a Safari? They seem to have vanished :iiam:

This is in stock: https://www.gouletpens.com/lamy-steel-nib-silver-broad/p/LMY-LZ50SL-B

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
NPD

Started writing with a fountain pen a month ago, up to 4 now (2 Lamy's and a Pilot Metro). I was looking for a silver hardware blue fountain pen counter to the gold hardware MB rollerball/ballpoint Meisterstucks I have and found the Platinum chartres blue model with rhodium. Ordered via normal Amazon.com through a JP seller, 15 days from shipped to door on the east coast of the US. Pilot Iroshizuko Shin-kai is very similar to Pilot's regular blue black which I have a cartridge of in the Pilot Metro. Paper is Tomoe River 52. Definitely a fine, in line with that Pilot's fine, but writes smoother.

I've bugged Kessel in PM, but thank you all for the information in this thread, it's been a big help. Where I'm at there's a stationary store that sells a small smattering of Lamy (where I got my two) and that's about it. I was able to visit Fahrney's in DC at the beginning of the month while I was in town, got to hold a ton of pens, but unfortunately they didn't have specific things I was looking at like Lamy 2k due to being out of stock.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Kessel posted:

Took our new website live. It's pretty sweet and I think you folks will like it:

http://musu.bi

I can confirm we are exhibiting at the LA pen show in two weeks' time. Is anyone else here going?

Fyi, on your home page, when browsing from mobile (Android 8.1, Chrome), the diaries section looks like it should be scrollable but nothing happens. I can see Signature and Seasonal is half covered. Not sure if this is by design?

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

Flash sale on ink samples at Goulet, today only! Any must-try inks if I'm totally new to everything? I have three Iroshizuku inks and love how they write, so I'd like to try highlights from other brands (though I'm not crazy about supporting Noodler's).

I've liked the Diamine and Robert Oster inks I've tried so far. Take a look at their brand based sample packages for a starting point.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Lowness 72 posted:

Do this. Also see if you can throw in some J Herbin.

Avoid Noodlers. I found that the Noodlers bottles I bought look very different from the samples I got. Super frustrating to be honest.

Oh yea. I have a converter inked up with some J Herbin Terra de Feu (one of my colleagues has a bottle of it and let me fill me up) and it behaves well.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

I didn't like a lot of reds until I got a sample of Diamine red lustre. The heavy gold sparkle is so nice looking. I use that a lot outside of work stuff.

I got a sample of Diamine Red Dragon as part of my first big pen order from Goulet, I liked it enough to fill the a converter on one of my Lamy's and I have a sample of Oxblood on the way as part of an order.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

howe_sam posted:

Get a bulb syringe and use that to flush the section and feed out, works like a charm.

There's...a lot in that price range: Lamy 2000, Pilot Custom 74, Pelikan M200, TWSBI, the full Edison production line, Platinum 3776, even the cheapest Visconti.

If it were me I'd get the Lamy 2K, gold nib, piston filler, iconic styling that isn't as look at me like some crazy acrylic, but it also isn't a black resin cigar shape. Makrolon is super durable. You can technically swap nib units, but I don't think Lamy sells them as a separate part. My only complaint is that my fingers tend to slide down the tapered section causing me to grip the pen at too narrow a spot, which can be fatiguing

I was going to comment about Edison as well, they make replacing the nib easy by doing the nib as a whole unit, that said gold nibs for those are 150 bucks (steel are only 20/25 though) and getting a gold nib for the pen out of the gate adds almost twice the cost on a new pen. Edison apparently tunes the nibs they get from JoWo I like the TWSBI Vac700r I got recently, TWSBI does replacement nibs as a unit as well and they are relatively inexpensive as well.

Edit: Lamy 2k - I've read that while they don't sell through usual retailers, there is a seller on eBay.de that does sell them separately, again, gold so not cheap. Apparently, Lamy will swap out a nib in like new condition, but you have to send the whole pen to Germany.

The Electronaut fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 10, 2018

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

You don't really need a gold nib, it's nice to have but a good steel nib can be as nice as almost any gold nib, the founder of Edison Pens wrote an article about steel nibs vs gold nibs here, it's well worth reading.

True, just commenting about the steel vs gold because the OP poster was asking about 50-200 range which is where you start seeing gold at. I really like my steel TWSBI fine on the 700r over the gold fine on my Platinum 3776, for instance.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Zenostein posted:

Are they really? I could've sworn the 400 was a bit bigger. So it's just from the 400 up where bigger numbers = bigger pen?

Hrm..., this is curious. Went over to Goulet's and did a comparison of 200 - 1000 via this https://www.gouletpens.com/pen-comparison-tool

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

grack posted:

^^^^^^^ That's kind of a poor comparison set as the M200 and M400 are clearly offset.

I didn't say it was the best :), but yea good point to call that out, they did the comparison at the beginning of the section, I guess they had to make a call as to where the did alignment.

Zenostein posted:

Yeah, I went to check Pelikan's site and it's a goddamn mess, and god help you if you live a decade ago and still use model numbers instead of names, you won't be able to find a drat thing.

But I did learn that they make c/c models now. Those are the P-series.

Also the worst thing about that goulet comparison is definitely "let's use a white pen on a white background."

Yea, I went to it for the first time this week wanting to look at 805 offerings. Ended up looking at a dealer site instead.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

howe_sam posted:

A pen review

If I had unlimited money I might also consider picking up the Noon and Twilight models, but I'm not so I won't.

:syoon:

Can you type out your thoughts? My cursive parsing is garbage these days.

I'm of very mixed emotions about Visconti based on the QC issues I've seen posted.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Lowness 72 posted:

I really dig Smoky Quartz. You should pick it up

Especially if it's on 11 euros. In the states it's close to 30 dollars. I'm excited for olivine.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Should've listened to my gut and the feedback out there and picked up a EF Lamy 2k instead of the Fine.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Kessel: you have a lot of great feedback on the FPN in a couple of the LA Pen Show 2018 threads.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Kessel posted:

I gotta take a look. Is it on Ricky’s show recap thread?

Went to go find the URL but saw your post. :)

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

NeurosisHead posted:

I'd never seen these before, so thanks for that. Yet another pen to add to the collection!

I hadn't seen the Opus 88 before. The only other pen I knew of with that system is the Namiki Emperor.

Talking people down from the ledge chat: please convince me to not buy a Visconti Opera Master, I'm looking at Goulet's Luna (primarily, sucker for blue) and Chatterly's Thames at Midnight.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Kessel posted:

We did up the final design for Musubi’s thing that isn’t a book today. It’s in the sample room undergoing refinement now and the final prototype will probably be ready in about two weeks’ time. Some of you saw it at the LA show, but - it’s a 1-or-2 pen sleeve. It’s a genuinely unique design with some very unusual traits that you would never expect of a fabric sleeve, and is done up in the quality you’d expect from us.

I value the honest input of you folks in the thread, so I’ll be offering up a few pieces or so in here around mid-ish April for anyone here who wants to buy a prototype and tell me what they think. There’ll be a goon discount, of course.

Part of the profit from this second project is going towards providing shelter and skills training for women from abusive family backgrounds in Indonesia. We’ll be using this funding to first get them out of their abusers’ hands and then second to help fund modern skills training so that they can seek gainful employment and financial independence.

I need to gauge interest, so post here if you’re potentially interested in getting one. That way I’ll know how many samples to set aside for you.

I'm down on a single or dualie sleeve. Btw saw this post mentioning your journals last night: https://www.wellappointeddesk.com/2018/02/la-pen-show-recap/

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Kessel posted:

Yeah, we’ve been having problems with some blocker systems, especially those that are overly aggressive and/or those that restrict off-site linking. The reason is that Musubi uses its own website as a shopfront instead of hosting on Shopify (which gives us a lot more freedom to make things beautiful without getting locked into their dumb markup language) and only the actual purchase mechanisms are handled by Shopify. Your blocker etc. sees the leap from our website to a number of offsite systems during the checkout process and doesn’t like that.

You’ve discovered it already, but adding an exception usually solves the issue.

I've disabled uBlock origin in a private browsing session on Chrome, is there anyway to see bigger images of the fabric? High resolution screen makes for tiny image.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Just got back from Atlanta after attending the Atlanta Pen Show yesterday. It was my first pen show experience, while I had read some articles and watched some youtube reviews on pen shows, it was still a new experience for me. It was a nice experience overall, met a lot of great people, spent more than I intended, and went to the Pen Addict podcast live recording. Hanging out at the bar Friday night was good to get the feel of the crowd and get some insight as to what vendors had and what to scope out first thing. Missed getting some Colorverse Cat, but did snag 3 other inks. Also, picked up a pen, and got a new nib unit from Frank Christoph installed in my Edison. Jim Rouse, FC's nib man, was a wizard in getting the new nib setup, interpreted my feedback from test writing, and got me going in under 10 minutes after my pen was in his hands. FC's customer service blew me away as whole: they treated me like I had spent money on a new pen even though I bought a 25 dollar steel nib unit and they said if there was any question in my mind about the new unit to call them and they'll make it right.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

howe_sam posted:

I'm thinking of picking up some Colorverse samples with my next paper order from Goulet. Anyone have any suggestions?

Cat!

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Kessel posted:

I can’t recommend the purchase of a current Nakaya. They’ve clearly been cutting corners on the lacquerwork to keep up with demand, and it shows on the modern pieces — not really obvious to the untrained eye, but a lot of their new work is badly rushed. That’s why you’re seeing reports of bubbling etc. on some of the modern pens.

If you’re in that price range and want good work, buy from my friend Kazuno-san at Stylo Art Karuizawa. His work is of better quality and the waitlist is much shorter. I have one of his pens and it’s utterly fantastic.

They were at the Atlanta Pen Show. The older lady and gentleman that I spoke with briefly were very nice, the pens were beautiful. I'm curious how they get Pilot nibs. I didn't think Pilot OEM'ed for anyone.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Kessel posted:

The gentleman is my friend Kazuno and he turns the pens; the lady is his wife. You’re right in that Pilot doesn’t OEM. What Kazuno (and a number of Japanese custom pen makers) does is buy up Pilot 742s whenever they go on clearance from Japanese online stores, then remove the nib/feed and chuck the body.

I see that. That's a big sunk cost, especially the #15 sized nibs, a 743 even buying it in Japan isn't cheap. Yea a big portion of the cost is the nib itself, but to pitch the barrel and cap for just the section makes me a little sad.

Related note, got my first 823 with a Medium which is really a great overall pen from size, shape, and nib quality. Not sure how I rank Pilot, Platinum, and Sailor. I really like Sailor, but even the Pro Gear is on the small side for me, so the jump up to King of Pen size is oof cost wise.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Kessel posted:

The existence of the Goulet Nation group on Facebook really has me scratching my head. I didn’t think a warehouse store needed pledging fealty to, but clearly people feel very strongly about personalities in this business. I’ve seen fans of the more well-known folks pass them food and occasionally even valuable product as gifts, and it genuinely confuses me.

I will be at the Chicago show. Come say hi at the Musubi booth. We’ve rethought the entire table experience (hello hand-dyed Japanese linen tablecloth and custom shelving) and I will be showing off our new pen cases.

I've been curious, how the heck are you humping all that stuff from Singapore? The logistics for some of the stateside dealers is impressive enough, but from across the Pacific, oof.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The Japanese manufacturers enforce different prices in other markets vs the Japanese market, a lot of their pens are much cheaper in Japan, that includes many Pilot and Platinum pens, if you want something other than the 3776 the Pilot Custom 74 is around the same price as the 3776 on Amazon.

Sailor is even worse it seems like. I got my Imperial Black pro gear for like 250 off eBay compared to almost 500 msrp in the states.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Kessel posted:

sadly Shopify has no such functionality to issue trap discount codes or I bloody well would

Awkward forum reference used: one case and one notebook. Figuring out a notebook I wanted took way longer than I thought it would.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

stealie72 posted:

Tried out a sampler of Noodler's 54th Massachusetts over the weekend after being really excited about how it looks on Goulet's site and find it thoroughly meh. It ends up almost looking green to my (terrible) eyes. What's a better grey blue that has more slate in it than emerald?

Branching out into colors is kind of a lamely huge personal growth thing for me. I would legitimately paint my entire house beige because it's easier to deal with, so a million ink colors to mess with is sort of like Dorothy entering Oz.

Sailor Sei Boku?, which Goulet doesn't carry. Anderson pens does though and does samples.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

stealie72 posted:

edit: Sailor Sei Boku looks like what I thought 54th MA would be, so that works.

I helped somebody, yeh! I picked up a bottle of it because my hands get clammy regularly and that has caused a bit of smearing in my notebooks, so I looked at permanent inks.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Seconding corn poppy red.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Kessel: Got my Musubi pen case and notebook today. Both are amazingly made. I'm glad you put a back flap behind the snap on the inside, I was worried about that when I saw the pictures but figured you had it sorted. I also see why you do the gift boxes for the books: shipping and customs did a little number on the package banging the DHL bag up a touch but the book and the case did fine. Great stitching and materials.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Kessel posted:

Glad you like them. The internal tab is indeed a tricky bit of case to make, but it ensures that the snap doesn't touch your pens, ever — we were pretty adamant about that.

Yeah, that's part of the reason for the boxes, and also why we wrap the book and case separately in bubble wrap so they turn into little packages all their own. Was there damage on your box?

Almost none, just one corner got dinged ever so slightly. The journal and case are pristine.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Kessel posted:

So we really do need to double down hard on the corner protection. Thanks, that's good to know.

And yes, hah! You know, we have to air the books out for a few days before boxing them, because the "new book" smell combined with the indigo smell is so overpowering.

And the corner behind it are like this, like I said, very slight. I enjoyed your interview with BYOB btw.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

Well, my Rainbow Line Up is complete (on Moleskine):

While I really like the Aussie Gold, I'm disappointed in the Green #5. I knew it wasn't KWZ's most popular green (#3 seems to have that honor), but I like the color. What I DON'T like is the smell. It's a strong, vaguely vanilla scent with a heavy dose of rubber. It reminds me of an old Velociraptor Halloween mask I used to have as a kid... but not in a good, nostalgic way :(

I want to try MB's Irish Green. I have a sample of Pelikan Jade in a Lamy AlStar at the moment and not a big fan. (I know, Jade is a totally different beast than #5 or Irish Green. :))

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Moral_Hazard posted:

What are some good, blue-black inks? Water resistance is a plus, but not necessarily a must have.

Sei Boku.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

howe_sam posted:

What in the heck is Solv-x?

I've never been a Franklin-Cristoph guy, but this is real sad news.
https://twitter.com/dowdyism/status/1018649413475098624

Dang. He ground a EF Steel nib for me I bought from them for an Edison. He treated me really well at the Atlanta pen show this year.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Franklin-Christoph announced they are going to be doing nibs in the S.I.G. grind again. I liked the demo ones I tried at the Atlanta pen show last year and picked up a flex variant when I ordered a pen. The flex one I sent back though to it have a sharp corner and they admitted that the flex variant had a high failure rate due to the flex nature making the grind difficult and that they had ceased production, this was several months before Jim's passing.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

howe_sam posted:

I don't think Pilot offers them outside of Japan so you have to get them through the gray market: eBay, Amazon, Japanese retailers etc.

Yup. I have a FA nib from a 743 on a 823 as well as a Flexible Nib Factory ebony feed. It's a fun setup.

There's also the 845 but that's a big jump from the 743 and all it really gets you beyond the urushi work is the nibs are 18k instead of 14k. I recently received one with a fine nib.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Trip Report: Pen Show Atlanta.

Second time going this year. Had a good time, spent the most time on Saturday, with a brief walk through on Friday and a quick purchase and discussion on Sunday. Got some nib work done for the first time on a Pelikan M805 by Dan Smith of nibsmith.com, he had appointment scheduling available online and it was super easy to line up a time slot for the tune and ink flow adjustment I wanted. Otherwise, picked up a bottle of ink, some stationary, and a Lamy Al-Star for a coworker. Went last year as well and both times I've had a good time.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

Out of curiosity, where did you find an 823 at that price?

Not who you're replying to, but eBay.

I picked up a 823 amber last year for roughly that price off eBay. That said, Pen Chalet has had some discounts recently (in the past 6 months) that brought the 823 smoke gift set down to a somewhat comparable price of $270 which includes a bottle of Pilot Blue; yes, not the same, but sorta close.

I got my Custom 845 off the same eBay seller (whom I also bought a 743 with a FA nib previously) for roughly $375, but direct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Moral_Hazard posted:

Nice. I didn't know those existed and it's a shame you have to ebay it or find a Japanese seller to get it in the USA. That's why I'm hoping stuff like this might be found at the DC pen show later this year. If not, maybe a 845 off ebay? :shrug: I really think Pilot's gold nibs are noticeably better than others. I've given up on the con-50 though and just refill cartridges with a syringe. I do that w/ my modern Parker too and carry a spare full cartridge.

I think it'll be highly unlikely to find a 845 at the pen show as Pilot dealers wont have it and it's not that common of one in general due to the JP only aspect. I did handle a Custom Urushi last year at the Atlanta Pen Show and while aesthetically it was fantastic, it's just a big drat pen overall (plus the cost). The 845 hits the same aesthetic note but in a much more manageable format.

The dealer I got it through had mentioned that they were no longer allowed to list on eBay by Pilot Japan.