Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

I recently acquired a Hero 1026 and I have to say that for a cheap fountain pen it is aces. It writes smoothly on almost all papers and makes a nice line. I'm enjoying having this pen a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

What is the best ink for writing on envelopes or anything that will have to stand up to weather? I've never really gone into bulletproof inks, but is there any particular brand you'd recommend?

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

LifeLynx posted:

I did what the title said and got a Pilot Metro. The Pilot MR Animal Collection Plum Leopard with a fine nib, because it was $10 cheaper than the classic black and I like purple.

I write a lot, mostly notes and to-do lists for work, life stuff, etc. My favorite pen ever is a gold Pentel Energel Alloy pen with a 0.3mm refill in it. Writes neat every time, dries nearly instantly so it doesn't smear (I'm a lefty, though I'm an overwriter and a paper-tilter so it's not a huge concern for me), and looks much more impressive than the $10 I spent on it would suggest. I stumbled on a fountain pen review by accident one night, and got hooked on the idea of having one. Many years ago I bought a Pilot Varsity, and hated it. It was a medium nib, the ink flow wasn't smooth, and it leaked everywhere - my fingers were covered in ink the first time I used it. After checking some reviews, I think I've concluded I just got a busted one, or the quality wasn't great 10+ years ago.

My Metro came today, and to be honest I expected a different writing experience. It feels almost exactly the same as my Pentel Energel Alloy gel pen, except I'm distractedly aware of how I'm holding it because of the direction the nib faces, and the ink doesn't dry quite as fast (but not too slow as to be a deal-breaker). It's very nice, but I'll have to write with it more to see if it's worth switching my go-to pen.

I did the same the other week after using inexpensive Chinese pens (jinhao) for close to 7 years.

I honestly like the feel and it flows well. I prefer to use the converter but this one doesn’t seem as nice as a plunger type. Does anyone have a preference to converters over cartridges re: Metros?

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

Lowness 72 posted:

I LOVE my clairefontaine notebooks.

:hmmyes: I bought two the other week and they're amazing

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

I saw some chat about Hobonichi planners a couple weeks ago and got an original Techo from Amazon just to wrap up the year (I'm trying to be better at planning my days out). It seems like there's more components to each daily page in the original compared to the English language Planner version. I don't have any understanding of Japanese characters, which I don't see being an issue for the general use of the planner, but do people in here find one more useful than the other in any regard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

Doctor Zero posted:

Do you have a link to the product? No matter how much I search Amazon, the only thing that shows up is 2021 planners. :iiam:

Mine is 2021. I figured I'd do a trial run and see if it was a good fit for the rest of the year and then I can splurge on 2022.