Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exculpatrix
Jan 23, 2010
Thanks to this thread I've spent the last month and a half writing with a Lamy Logo, using the Lamy violet ink that came with it. I'm super happy with how it looks and how it feels, but now I want another pen so I can start playing with more ink colours. As I have a birthday coming up I figured I'd buy one of the below as a gift to myself - does anyone have any experience with any of them, or thoughts on which one I should go for?

Cross Century II: https://www.cultpens.com/i/q/CR40980/cross-century-ii-fountain-pen-medalist-chrome-with-gold-trim
Lamy Accent AL: https://www.cultpens.com/i/q/LM40716/lamy-accent-al-kw-fountain-pen-palladium---grey-wood
Faber-Castell Ambition: https://www.cultpens.com/i/q/FC41388/faber-castell-ambition-fountain-pen-special-edition-black-sand

Open to other suggestions in a similar price range if there's some great pen I've overlooked and should be considering. Of note: 1) I'd prefer to order from a UK site if possible, so I don't have to worry about customs, international shipping, etc, and 2) In terms of aesthetic I like fairly minimal styles and metal bodies. I think the Lamy Safaris and all the TWSBI pens that everyone seems to like are totally hideous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exculpatrix
Jan 23, 2010

grack posted:

The Cross Century II will be thinner than your Logo. Cross nibs are generally good though not substantially different in terms of writing characteristics from your Logo. Cross doesn't get a lot of attention in the fountain pen world but they make pretty reliable pens and are one of the few makers that offer lifetime warranties.

The Accent will be thicker in your hand but will otherwise be identical in terms of writing. The Accent and your Logo use identical nibs as well as the same cartridges and converters.

Faber-Castell's nibs are very highly regarded and are some of the best writing steel nibs on the market. The Ambition, however, has some idiosyncrasies to be aware of - it's very picky about converters for one, and the cap is much heavier than the rest of the body. If you post the cap on your pens while you write the pens will feel very back heavy and unbalanced.

Other pens to consider might be the Pelikan Stola III or the Diplomat Traveler. The Pelikan only comes in a single nib size and the cap can't be posted on the back of the pen, but the nibs are smooth and well tuned, and the pen is very well made. The Traveller is on the thin side but not too much different than your Lamy, and Diplomat's steel nibs are very well tuned. The Traveler also has a pretty big range of colour and body material choices. Both the Pelikan and Diplomat should be pretty widely available in the UK.

Thanks for the input. I usually just leave the cap standing upright on my desk rather than posting it, so the balance shouldn't be an issue with the Ambition.

Is this the Traveller you were referring to: https://www.cultpens.com/i/q/DP26256/diplomat-traveller-fountain-pen-stainless-steel-gold-trim ? I like the look of it, but the description on that site suggests it's too small to take a converter, which seem less than ideal. Is it possible to use it with bottled inks or would I be stuck with cartridges?

Speaking of inks, just how good are the Iroshizuku inks? I hear a lot of good things, and I love the look of the yama-budo and the ku-jaku, but drat are they expensive. A bottle seems to be about 5 times the price of a Diamine or Pelikan ink.

Exculpatrix
Jan 23, 2010
I've just marathoned the last 200 pages, and my head is swimming with fountain pen wisdom. I was hoping to get a recommendation from all y'all pen nerds:

A couple years back I bought the Parker Sonnet SE, in the Impression finish, with a medium nib. It's my favourite pen by a long, long margin. I love the look, and the way it writes. Are there any other pens out there which are similar? Both in feel and aesthetics. I find that a lot of the pens at this price point are a little... gaudy? At least for my tastes. I've got a few cheaper pens (Lamy Studio, Lamy Accent, Diplomat Traveller, some random one I bought in a little pen shop in NOLA and don't know the brand of), but I want another nice one I'll enjoy writing with regularly, so that I can fill it up with a different ink to my Sonnet.

I generally prefer broader nibs, and looks wise I like metal or matte finishes a lot more than shiny looks or plastic bodies.

Exculpatrix
Jan 23, 2010

Chip McFuck posted:

Haven't used a Sonnet, but a Diplomat Excellence A2 is pretty close aesthetically and has a metal body that you can get in a lacquered or raw metal finish. I also really like Tactile Turn's Gist pen. It's got a screw-on cap, but also is similar in looks to the Parker and can be had in a copper or titanium body.

Ooh, the Pearl White and Midnight Blue A2s are very, very pretty. I will have to check those out.